Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+48
Isos
Russian_Patriot_
Cheetah
ALAMO
Flanky
mavaff
lancelot
PhSt
elevonic
lyle6
kvs
AJ-47
LMFS
The-thing-next-door
SeigSoloyvov
Hole
jhelb
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
RTN
Airman
ZoA
volna
Benya
VladimirSahin
KiloGolf
KoTeMoRe
ExBeobachter1987
Mindstorm
Regular
JohninMK
eehnie
flamming_python
franco
Vann7
d_taddei2
magnumcromagnon
Werewolf
collegeboy16
Sujoy
KomissarBojanchev
George1
TheArmenian
Cyberspec
medo
IronsightSniper
GarryB
Austin
52 posters

Russian Gun Artillery: Discussion Thread

GarryB
    GarryB

Russian Gun Artillery: Discussion Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Gun Artillery: Discussion Thread

Post  GarryB Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:32 am

203mm guns and 240mm mortars are always going to be big heavier vehicles, but a modernised lighter cheaper wheeled version actually makes a lot of sense in terms of mobility over even short distances, and would probably be lighter and easier to ship than previous tracked versions.

Interesting there is a wheeled version of the 240mm mortar because I would love to see a new wheeled version of the 203mm gun too... mainly because I would like to see a new naval version of the 203mm gun with new long range ammo of the type developed for the Coalition.

Even if they don't make a wheeled version of the 203mm gun I would like to see them develop a new range of long range ammo for it.

In naval terms a 240mm weapon would only be of any use in a naval gun support role being located very close to the beach the landing is taking place on.... the HE bomb would be devastating but a bit risky having to be within 20km of the beach to support operations there.

In comparison the 70km range for the 152mm ammo not to mention the hoped for 180km range ammo would be rather more useful with GLONASS guided shells, or a 203mm equivalent... even assuming the same 180km range for many small targets that could replace some shorter ranged anti ship missiles and in terms of accurate all weather day and night shelling capacity that would be very impressive.
    Mir
    Mir

Russian Gun Artillery: Discussion Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Russian Gun Artillery: Discussion Thread

Post  Mir Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:38 am

The 203mm gun is likely to be too powerful for a wheeled chassis - even a 155mm is quite a challenge to mount successfully on a truck. The 203 is so powerful that it requires an alarm to warn the crew to clear the area before a shot can be fired.

EDIT: I think the largest caliber gun we're going to see on a ship could well be the twin 152mm Koalitsiya on the Nakhimov?

Current date/time is Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 am