Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+12
ekacipta021292
Robert.V
solo.13mmfmj
milky_candy_sugar
Aramonik
Sukhoi37_Terminator
sohamsri
Turk1
soldieroffortune
Russian Patriot
Vladislav
Admin
16 posters

Best WWII General: Poll

Poll

Best WWII General

[ 13 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left62%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [62%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left5%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left0%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left5%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [5%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left19%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [19%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_left9%Best WWII General:  Poll Bar_right [9%] 

Total Votes: 21
    Poll closed
    Admin
    Admin

Best WWII General:  Poll Empty Best WWII General: Poll

Post  Admin Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am

Make your choice... explain why you think so.
    Vladislav
    Vladislav

Best WWII General:  Poll Empty Re: Best WWII General: Poll

Post  Vladislav Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:06 am

I had to go with Guderian. His blitzkrieg kicked our ass in the most stunning victories ever seen. Zhukov was an awesome logistician, but he was really a better defensive general. Guderian was the master of offense.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:58 am

Vladislav wrote:I had to go with Guderian. His blitzkrieg kicked our ass in the most stunning victories ever seen. Zhukov was an awesome logistician, but he was really a better defensive general. Guderian was the master of offense.

Can't argue with the logic there, but you have to look at Zhukov's achievements. He reversed the situation of every front he was assigned to. He did it with superior logistics and use of artillery. He was also the one who reformed the army into a mobile fighting force which was a much bigger task than Guderian ever had.
    Russian Patriot
    Russian Patriot

Post  Russian Patriot Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    Vladislav wrote:I had to go with Guderian. His blitzkrieg kicked our ass in the most stunning victories ever seen. Zhukov was an awesome logistician, but he was really a better defensive general. Guderian was the master of offense.

Can't argue with the logic there, but you have to look at Zhukov's achievements. He reversed the situation of every front he was assigned to. He did it with superior logistics and use of artillery. He was also the one who reformed the army into a mobile fighting force which was a much biYgger task than Guderian ever had.

Yes I agree thats why I picked Zhukov.

Don;t forget he to fight to get what he needed from Stalin.
    Guderian never had those problems
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:57 am

Arguably, the fame of Rommel was inflated by the British historians on account of the fact that Rommel emerged victorious against the British troops.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:38 am

soldieroffortune wrote:Arguably, the fame of Rommel was inflated by the British historians on account of the fact that Rommel emerged victorious against the British troops.

Are you saying Montgomery was incompetent?
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:08 am

Vladimir79 wrote:
    soldieroffortune wrote:Arguably, the fame of Rommel was inflated by the British historians on account of the fact that Rommel emerged victorious against the British troops.

I didn't say that, did I? But the British suffered many unfortunate defeats from Rommel, it was to their benefit therefore to claim that Rommel was a genius.

With all due respect to both Field Marshals, it is my opinion that Rommel was not in the same league as Guderian, for example.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:42 am

soldieroffortune wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

I didn't say that, did I? But the British suffered many unfortunate defeats from Rommel, it was to their benefit therefore to claim that Rommel was a genius.

With all due respect to both Field Marshals, it is my opinion that Rommel was not in the same league as Guderian, for example.

Understood...
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:42 am

Vladimir79 wrote:
    soldieroffortune wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

Understood...

I think Zhukov is the best in that list, as the Russian military leader of WW2 who has not lost a single battle (to the best of my recollection). He was also brilliant as the strategist working at the General Staff.

Rommel was no doubts a competent military commander (as were most of the German Field Marshals with the exception of Keitel, perhaps) as well as very fortunate. Note that every time his "Afrika" corps suffered a defeat, - he was away due to illness, so the defeat was never linked directly with his name (of course one could argue that his troops were defeated because he was not around). Still it would be curious to see how Rommel would have done on the Eastern Front.
    Vladislav
    Vladislav

Post  Vladislav Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:25 pm

soldieroffortune wrote:
    I think Zhukov is the best in that list, as the Russian military leader of WW2 who has not lost a single battle (to the best of my recollection). He was also brilliant as the strategist working at the General Staff.

Rommel was no doubts a competent military commander (as were most of the German Field Marshals with the exception of Keitel, perhaps) as well as very fortunate. Note that every time his "Afrika" corps suffered a defeat, - he was away due to illness, so the defeat was never linked directly with his name (of course one could argue that his troops were defeated because he was not around). Still it would be curious to see how Rommel would have done on the Eastern Front.

I always thought Rommel was defeated because he could not get the supplies he requested. If he did, the Suez Canal would probably be in German hands.
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Vladislav wrote:
    soldieroffortune wrote:

I always thought Rommel was defeated because he could not get the supplies he requested. If he did, the Suez Canal would probably be in German hands.

"История не терпит сослагательного наклонения"

Many of the generals, most of the time had to fight without adequate supplies and reserves. What would have happened if the German armies fighting in Russia received adequate reserves in 1943-44, for example? - Instead of moving many battle hardened divisions to the West (as well as best Luftwaffe pilots - to protect Germany from the British and American bombers) ...
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 pm

soldieroffortune wrote:

"История не терпит сослагательного наклонения"

Many of the generals, most of the time had to fight without adequate supplies and reserves. What would have happened if the German armies fighting in Russia received adequate reserves in 1943-44, for example? - Instead of moving many battle hardened divisions to the West (as well as best Luftwaffe pilots - to protect Germany from the British and American bombers) ...

Its not like they didn't try to send Rommel supplies. If the Nazis had realised Engima had been cracked, he would have had alot more.
    Turk1
    Turk1

Post  Turk1 Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:01 am

I voted for McArthur. He defeated the Japanese which was the greatest threat.
    soldieroffortune
    soldieroffortune

Post  soldieroffortune Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:02 am

Turk1 wrote:I voted for McArthur. He defeated the Japanese which was the greatest threat.

He surely did, but first the Japanese defeated him (he had to evacuate Philippines).
    I voted for Zhukov.
    sohamsri
    sohamsri

Post  sohamsri Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:24 pm

I voted for Rommel, because his maneuvers in Africa almost had the British forces down to their knees.
    Sukhoi37_Terminator
    Sukhoi37_Terminator

Post  Sukhoi37_Terminator Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 pm

I voted for Zhukov, because he led the soviet troops to victory in Easter Europe.
    Aramonik
    Aramonik

Post  Aramonik Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:31 am

Voted for Zhukov. Of course. But favorite Russian commander is Konstantin Rokossovsky

But my choice for the best in defense and offensive operations would have to be von Manstein.
    http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7901

And Generalfeldmarschal Otto Moritz Walter Model
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Model
    milky_candy_sugar
    milky_candy_sugar

Post  milky_candy_sugar Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know whether i should choose Zhukov or Rommel....ofcourse, Zhukov lead the Soviet to victory, but Rommel strategic mind is to be praised. Unfortunately for him, no one gave a real shit to what he said....
    Also there's the fact that
    About Rommel - "He was a highly decorated officer in World War I, awarded the Pour le Mérite for his exploits on the Italian front. In World War II, he further distinguished himself as the commander of the Ghost Division during the 1940 invasion of France. However, it was his leadership of German and Italian forces in the North African campaign that established the legend of the Desert Fox. He is considered to have been one of the most skilled commanders of desert warfare in the war.[1] He later commanded the German forces opposing the Allied cross-channel invasion in Normandy.
    Rommel is regarded as a chivalrous and humane officer because his Afrikakorps was never accused of any war crimes. Soldiers captured during his Africa campaign were reported to have been treated humanely; furthermore, he ignored orders to kill captured Jewish soldiers and civilians in all theaters of his command."
    About Zhukov - "was a Russian career officer in the Red Army who, in the course of World War II, played an important role in leading the Red Army through much of Eastern Europe to liberate the Soviet Union and other nations from the Axis Powers' occupation and conquer Germany's capital, Berlin. He also organized the less known training exercise Snezhok in which a nuclear experiment was conducted on the population of the Orenburg Oblast and the Soviet Army. He is the most decorated general in the history of both Russia and the Soviet Union."

Really don't know.
    Aramonik
    Aramonik

Post  Aramonik Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:46 am

Great points re:Rommel MCS, He wanted the Panzer Divisions concentrated at the Coast, to throw the Allies back onto the sea as soon as they landed.
    von Rundstedt insisted on concentrating the Panzer Divisions farther inland, and then closing up to the Coast once the Allies landed. von Rundstedt got his
    way, and as the units marched towards the Channel, the Allied air forces cut them to pieces. Panzer Lehr lost 30% of its equipment on the 1st days march.

Rommel was proved right by the course of events.

Cheers to you.
    solo.13mmfmj
    solo.13mmfmj

Post  solo.13mmfmj Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Rommel.Zhukov tactics were to crude and he lost a lot of soldiers.
    Robert.V

Post  Robert.V Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Wouldn't be the first time. Non the less Rommel was a highly compatent.
    ekacipta021292
    ekacipta021292

Post  ekacipta021292 Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:34 am

I voted for Zhukov. I think his achievements are very outstanding, although his tactics were brutal, and too risky.

He led the USSR to victory, lifted the siege in Leningrad. He is my favourite

Source: History channel, and a number of military books I read. Forgot the titles.
    Kysusha
    Kysusha

Post  Kysusha Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 am

Vladimir79 wrote:

Yes, I say Montgomery was incompetent. An egotistical, self praising, over-cautious general who “developed” a reputation far in access of his abilities. Even with ULTRA intercepts, he was only marginally successful. Fd Marshall Slim was by far the best Allied general of the war.
    Kysusha
    Kysusha

Post  Kysusha Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:37 am

ekacipta021292 wrote:I voted for Zhukov. I think his achievements are very outstanding, although his tactics were brutal, and too risky.

He led the USSR to victory, lifted the siege in Leningrad. He is my favourite

Source: History channel, and a number of military books I read. Forgot the titles.

History Channel is as good as watching Disneyland!
    Kysusha
    Kysusha

Post  Kysusha Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:46 am

Vladislav wrote:
    soldieroffortune wrote:

This is the nub of the situation – right here! Rommel was defeated by the Allied Air Force operating out of Malta and Gibraltar and the Royal Navy Mediterranean Fleet [who all had ULTRA intercepts and knew exactly when and when shipments were being sent to Rommel].

Without the interdiction on the supply lines – which starved the Africa Corps – Rommel would have linked up in South Caucasus. The Allies would have been defeated in the Middle East and Turkey would probably have joined the Axis Forces.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 pm