Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+24
George1
par far
mx109
Werewolf
magnumcromagnon
VladimirSahin
macedonian
j.mac
flamming_python
TR1
Asf
sepheronx
Regular
Mamut
SWAT Pointman
Pugnax
gloriousfatherland
Mr.Kalishnikov47
victor7
Julia
milky_candy_sugar
GarryB
solo.13mmfmj
Admin
28 posters

Hazing in the Russian Army

macedonian
    macedonian

Hazing in the Russian Army - Page 3 Empty Re: Hazing in the Russian Army

Post  macedonian Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Mamut wrote:I would really want to serve in the Russian Armed Forces, but, me being a Bosnian (?), being a Muslim... makes me paranoid and afraid in a sense...

My cousin's best friend in Belgrade in the 90's was a refugee from Sarajevo who went by the name of Musa (Mustafa, was his real name). He never had problems getting close to the ladies too...Smile 
    I have a friend who now curses himself for not going to Belgrade from Pristina on a PhD scholarship because he was told the Serbs might kill him...

I know I'm not answering your question directly here, I'm merely saying don't let prejudices ruin your dreams.

Bolan  Very Happy 
    Asf

Post  Asf Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:09 pm

I think me being british may be more of a concern...
    Today I watched TV show "Lets go eat" ("Poedim poedim") with an english guy travelling all over the world and... well, eating. Seems he made it on the russian TV
    Asf

Post  Asf Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:12 pm

Regular wrote:
    My father told me stories about Russians making fun from muslims in canteen.
    My father (an ex-officer) told me stories of muslim "elders" teaching ukrainian "young" soldiers how to speak russian in the canteen  Very Happy 
    j.mac

Post  j.mac Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Asf wrote:
    I think me being british may be more of a concern...
    Today I watched TV show "Lets go eat" ("Poedim poedim") with an english guy travelling all over the world and... well, eating. Seems he made it on the russian TV

Haha maybe I'll eat stuff for a living! I've seen a few videos/articles on a french and a cuban in the russian military and also read an article on a german in the russian army, kind of gives me hope. The cuban guy was actually in a spetsnaz unit I think or in a reconnaissance unit?
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 am

in a spetsnaz unit I think or in a reconnaissance unit?
    May be both - the army spetsnas is basically a recon force. So called special recon (deep reconnaissance operation for higher command and assymethrical warfare). Sometimes even basic army recon units (say recon coys of motorised infantry regiments) is called "spetsnas" due to journalist's incompetence (as they look badass).
    j.mac

Post  j.mac Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:11 am

Asf wrote:
    in a spetsnaz unit I think or in a reconnaissance unit?
    May be both - the army spetsnas is basically a recon force. So called special recon (deep reconnaissance operation for higher command and assymethrical warfare). Sometimes even basic army recon units (say recon coys of motorised infantry regiments) is called "spetsnas" due to journalist's incompetence (as they look badass).
    Ah I understand, surely he endured some bullying considering he was not fully russian and he was basically half black? Not sure he seemed happy in the unit though he said it was a dream of his come true
    Asf

Post  Asf Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 am

Look, there are a lot of "half black" people in Russia, and many of them are russians (southern russians have naturally black hear and dark eyes, not to mention cross-national marriage childs). Nobody bulls people in Russia for a skin color except of kryptonazy scum (they numbers are few as with all radicals and who is hated by the most russians). In the Army you can only be bulled if you are unfriendly, behaves youself strange or annoying, do not do you job, or just weak and scared (as always there are men who like to bully weaklings). For example there is a dislike for Moskow-born soldiers in the Army as they are considered too lazy and too proud of themselves for no reason, and they are not "half-black". I tell now about conscripts, for contract soldiers there are many differences, as they are not teenagers, yet you still won't be respected for being unfriendly or cowardly.

One more time - there were no major race discrimination in the russian history, no slavery (as you know it), no genocide campaigns. Some people could hate other races, but it only thier stupidity. Russians don't like americans as they are viewed cowardly and mistrustful, and there is some tention toward migrants from the former asian republics as they sometime do not appreciate russian culture, live in closed societies and speak among themselves on their national language (it seems a bit uncomfortable for many people then a group of foreiners walk on a street and speak language you can't understand, it's natural). And many of them commit crimes now, as all migrants do - because of unemployment or just because not all of them are honest people. I hope you understand that I am talking about

And actually people in Russia like cubans. I worked with one guy who is a son of a cuban living in Russia
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm

oh but there is racism in Moscow. That city have special kinds of idiots. I personally dislike moscow and muscovites. But don't worry, they rarely serve in the army as there is not much money to be made there.
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm

The worst that can happen to you if you volunteer and join the Russian army as a Muslim is if you eat pork by accident.
    j.mac

Post  j.mac Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:04 pm

Asf wrote:Look, there are a lot of "half black" people in Russia, and many of them are russians (southern russians have naturally black hear and dark eyes, not to mention cross-national marriage childs). Nobody bulls people in Russia for a skin color except of kryptonazy scum (they numbers are few as with all radicals and who is hated by the most russians). In the Army you can only be bulled if you are unfriendly, behaves youself strange or annoying, do not do you job, or just weak and scared (as always there are men who like to bully weaklings). For example there is a dislike for Moskow-born soldiers in the Army as they are considered too lazy and too proud of themselves for no reason, and they are not "half-black". I tell now about conscripts, for contract soldiers there are many differences, as they are not teenagers, yet you still won't be respected for being unfriendly or cowardly.

One more time - there were no major race discrimination in the russian history, no slavery (as you know it), no genocide campaigns. Some people could hate other races, but it only thier stupidity. Russians don't like americans as they are viewed cowardly and mistrustful, and there is some tention toward migrants from the former asian republics as they sometime do not appreciate russian culture, live in closed societies and speak among themselves on their national language (it seems a bit uncomfortable for many people then a group of foreiners walk on a street and speak language you can't understand, it's natural). And many of them commit crimes now, as all migrants do - because of unemployment or just because not all of them are honest people. I hope you understand that I am talking about

And actually people in Russia like cubans. I worked with one guy who is a son of a cuban living in Russia
    Didn't mean any offense by it, I am in no way racist what so ever, but I guess I have read a lot of bullshit on the internet about there being racism, discrimination and other stuff going on in the russian army, didn't mean to piss anyone off
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:27 pm

There is more than enough racism in the Russian army; some people dislike Muslim Caucasus natives, Jews, etc...

But I didn't see any conflicts over that stuff specifically.
    If there's trouble than it's always going to be over someone's specific behavior or actions, not their race/religion/etc...

Same goes for being British. Believe me, I've been there  Very Happy
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm

flamming_python wrote:There is more than enough racism in the Russian army; some people dislike Muslim Caucasus natives, Jews, etc...

If there's trouble than it's always going to be over someone's specific behavior or actions, not their race/religion/etc...

Actually, I'd be really interested to know if there's a larger probability of being a recipient of abuse for being British, or for being Jewish?
    (or any other race/nation/religion for that matter)
    Much obliged.
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 am

if there's a larger probability of being a recipient of abuse for being British, or for being Jewish?
    Being a British Jew is the worst case  Very Happy  I'm joking

Actually, If a man wants confrontation he seeks a cause. So it dosen't matter that would it be: nation or, say, hair color. Have you ever learned in a high school? If yes, than you know I'm talking about
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:59 am

Asf wrote:
    if there's a larger probability of being a recipient of abuse for being British, or for being Jewish?

It was an honest question.
    I honestly don't think that the Russians are anti-Semites. I'm sure they'll be cracking jokes that aren't really PC (same as here), but I really don't see them as anti-anything. Of course I imagine that being a Brit in the RussArmy at the moment would be no walk in the park (given Her Majesty's Government current policies)...same as being an Arab in London during the start of the Iraq war wasn't, as tensions tend to run high during conflicts. I actually believe the Russian soldats will form their opinion based on the abilities of the individual, rather than on his ethnic/religious background.

Actually I think it's people like that Ihor Kolomoyskyi fcuker that would use their 'Jewness' to forward their wicked agenda, and scream "Antisemitism" when confronted, and I expect that your ordinary Russian who just happens to be Jewish would be treated no better or worse than an Orthodox / Muslim / Atheist.

But that's what I think. Having insider info would be appreciated.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:25 am

Asf wrote:

Being Jritish Bew is even worse, because no one knows what the f*ck that is or if that's even a thing, suffice to say their won't be much political recognition  dunno for that selecthnic group...there just isn't much autonomy for Jritish Bew's anywhere, they're just a geopolitically isolated group. Sad  They're religion tells them to stay away from Kosher products as much as possible, and stick to a strict diet of 3 square meals of bacon grease a day. pale Wink
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:30 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Asf wrote:

Being Jritish Bew is even worse, because no one knows what the f*ck that is or if that's even a thing, suffice to say their won't be much political recognition  dunno for that selecthnic group...there just isn't much autonomy for Jritish Bew's anywhere, they're just a geopolitically isolated group. Sad  They're religion tells them to stay away from Kosher products as much as possible, and stick to a strict diet of 3 square meals of bacon grease a day. pale Wink
    Yeah, gotta feel compassion for Jritish Bews. That lot never had it easy.
    +1 for a genuinely witty post.
    flamming_python
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 am

macedonian wrote:
    flamming_python wrote:There is more than enough racism in the Russian army; some people dislike Muslim Caucasus natives, Jews, etc...

Actually, I'd be really interested to know if there's a larger probability of being a recipient of abuse for being British, or for being Jewish?
    Much obliged.

You'll be fine either way. Keep in mind that a lot of Russians have Jewish blood somewhere down the line. And as for being British, a lot of people will actually be interested by it, so it balances out.

Some people will have initially negative attitudes to you due to one or the other, or perhaps something else - just like in any collective there will always be people who don't like you over something and the reasons can be anything. However receiving 'abuse' because of it is probably too strong a word.
    You will receive abuse if you cause too many people too many problems, and that's all there is to it.
    macedonian
    macedonian

Post  macedonian Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:00 am

flamming_python wrote:
    macedonian wrote:

Much obliged.

You'll be fine either way. Keep in mind that a lot of Russians have Jewish blood somewhere down the line. And as for being British, a lot of people will actually be interested by it, so it balances out.

Some people will have initially negative attitudes to you due to one or the other, or perhaps something else - just like in any collective there will always be people who don't like you over something and the reasons can be anything. However receiving 'abuse' because of it is probably too strong a word.
    You will receive abuse if you cause too many people too many problems, and that's all there is to it.

Thanks FP. Much appreciated.
    I thought that's how things stand.
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:42 pm

If You want to experience real dedovshchina, then I suggest you to marry russian woman and try 'forget' to do dishes.
    But seriously, do MMA fighting, Sambo and al that. Russians are way less PC, they don't have fake politiness.
    If you expect gentelmens club were people talk about guns and other finer things in life then you are wrong.
    First years you will deal with testosterone bursting teens who rather be somewhere else, fingering Natasha or living their dream, doing bidness to earn their first million and buy AMG cars. But unfortunetly most kids you will meet will be from lower echelon of society.
    Serving amongst conscripts sucks big times. But it has to be done. After you get contract and everything changes. Atmosphere, motivation, activities, free time. If to believe who serve now, proffessional service is well worth it. Good luck
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:59 pm

If you expect gentelmens club were people talk about guns and other finer things in life then you are wrong.
    No army is an NRA-style club.
    Serving amongst conscripts sucks big times. But it has to be done. After you get contract and everything changes.
    Foreign citizens cannot be conscripted
    Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:34 pm

So are You saying foreigners are serving with contract straight away?
    How does that work? All this sounds rather dodgy
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Regular wrote:So are You saying foreigners are serving with contract straight away?
    How does that work? All this sounds rather dodgy
    There is "About Military Duty and Military Service" russian federal law. It's a basic-level law about all aspects of miliary service. Foreign citizen are only mentioned in "Joining the contract military service" paragraph. So it's voluntary only for any foreigner  Smile
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:58 pm

FP, how exactly can someone have a blood of a religious group?

Jew comes from Judaism, if you mean that jews are an ethnicity that would be false, if you mean them being Hebrew well than the difference is almost non to Arabs both are same by ethnicity just walked down a path with different religions and even their cultures over centuries focused around those religions, but there is no such thing as a jewish ethnicity, like there is no christian or muslim, just a religion.
    Asf

Post  Asf Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Judaism is a strictly national religion. So all jews are hebrews, but not all hebrews are jews
    VladimirSahin
    VladimirSahin

Post  VladimirSahin Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 am

I just wanted to bring this up.  In 2009 in Tula I was on guard duty one night and I was very angry I did not want to do it because I was very tired, So try to imagine a soldier who is angry and tired Twisted Evil  I heard some shouting lots of curse words and orders  angry  inside the barracks I was guarding (conscript's barracks) I went inside and saw grandfathers treating their grandsons wrongfully I went in there and lets say I stopped what was going on  Cool and that was it.  What I'm trying to say is grandfatherism is not active these days even if it is some body will stop it. Although grandfatherism makes soldiers tough I dont stand for it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm