Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Share
    avatar
    zg18

    Posts : 881
    Points : 957
    Join date : 2013-09-26
    Location : Zagreb , Croatia

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  zg18 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

    30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD







    http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2014/01/blog-post_254.html?m=1


    volna

    Posts : 15
    Points : 15
    Join date : 2013-03-24

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  volna on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:44 am

    zg18 wrote:30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD

    Nice photos,thanks!
    I've a question on T-72B3:
    Does it fitted with the new 2A46M-5 gun?
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  TR1 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 am

    volna wrote:
    zg18 wrote:30 T-72B3 transferred to Eastern MD

    Nice photos,thanks!
    I've a question on T-72B3:
    Does it fitted with the new 2A46M-5 gun?

    Yep!
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 10234
    Points : 10722
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  George1 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:12 pm

    are there going to be more modernized T-72s back in service with russian army??
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  TR1 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:35 pm

    Yes, this year we are waiting for T-72B4...basically B3 but with panoramic sight.
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1184
    Points : 1201
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  collegeboy16 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:55 am

    more like a hunter-killer B3  Razz. would dramatically increase fighting efficiency- and since were living with the reality that he who sees first and shoots first most likely wins- increase killing proficiency too. Hell, this would make B3 better than M1A1.

    Vann7

    Posts : 3452
    Points : 3570
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Vann7 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

    Can anyone tell.. which tank is this one.. ?




    Apparently those are night exercises of Russian army in relation to Ukraine near their borders at the end of the video shows
    a Dark green tank with advanced ERA and at 1:14  you can see some kind of turret ,wondering if that part
    of the active protection system Arena...  anyone know?
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 variants

    Post  TR1 on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:24 pm

    T-72B3, near Ukraine.

    https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3716/13389919684_b9c2f18fc8_o.jpg
    https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2858/13389696593_f336829789_o.jpg
    https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/13389568215_f9be8e561d_o.jpg
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  TR1 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:01 am

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.

    Vympel

    Posts : 112
    Points : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Vympel on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm

    TR1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.

    You've got a time-stamp in that link there. What's "kapremont-ed"?

    Its disappointing they're sending basic Kontakt-ERA T-72Bs there - without even Kontakt-V. I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    EDIT: wait - is Ukraine actually allowing Russia to train in tanks? Or are these going to be shipped across the Kerch strait?
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1184
    Points : 1201
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  collegeboy16 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:38 pm

    russkies dont make it a habit to flaunt their best toys- they want to keep it as a surprise to their most capable enemies.
    Hell I wont be surprised if those Kontakt-5 cassettes actually have Relikt elements in them. hehehe
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16302
    Points : 16933
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  GarryB on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:42 pm

    I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5699
    Points : 5735
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    T-72 variants

    Post  TR1 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:22 pm

    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F-TJuKclg#t=37

    Russian T-72Bs arrive in Crimea, while T-64s are being sent back to Ukraine.

    The tanks look immaculate, I suspect these are some of the T-72s kapremont-ed and sent in replacement of retired T-80s.
    Would make sense given the wild numbers of supposedly modernized T-72B3s the media has been throwing around.

    You've got a time-stamp in that link there. What's "kapremont-ed"?

    Its disappointing they're sending basic Kontakt-ERA T-72Bs there - without even Kontakt-V. I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    EDIT: wait - is Ukraine actually allowing Russia to train in tanks? Or are these going to be shipped across the Kerch strait?

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 1938
    Points : 2103
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Cyberspec on Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 am

    GarryB wrote:
    I would've thought T-72B3s would be a priority for Crimea, minimum.

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?

    On some forums they believe these could be a training company to be followed by T-72B3's. Apparently they're expecting to have 200 tanks based in Crimea which seems excessive

    Vympel

    Posts : 112
    Points : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Vympel on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 am

    GarryB wrote:

    Such vehicles are only likely to face Ukrainian forces... what does the Ukraine have that would require a better tank?

    T-72B3s with the thermal imaging sight and all the assorted fire control improvements would give them a decisive advantage over T-64BVs in both day and night. As it is, a hypothetical fight between a T-72B and a T-64BV is virtually a dead heat, performance wise. I'd bet on the training of the Russian tankists over those of Ukraine, but why leave an element to chance?

    It looks like from other videos I've seen on T-72B3s on trains that they're focused on the Ukrainian border proper.


    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 16302
    Points : 16933
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  GarryB on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 am

    Let me put it this way... at the moment Ukraine has just been surprise-"taken advantage of from behind" if you know what I mean.

    If you start picking and choosing where your furniture is going they might get a little upset and do something really stupid.

    Equally things aren't 100% set in concrete... the Ukraine could go all Georgian on Russia, which means having upgraded T-72s to move into the Ukraine and deal with the idiots would be easier from Russian territory than from Crimean territory.

    Eventually a large unit of upgraded T-72s will be needed because it is the Black Sea Fleet basing area so any naval landing forces will need to be based there.

    They wont have Mistrals but they will have other units there, so together with army forces, navy forces, and air force units there will be a lot of new equipment and weapons moving there over the next few years.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Vympel

    Posts : 112
    Points : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Vympel on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 am

    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1184
    Points : 1201
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  collegeboy16 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:58 pm

    Kontakt-5 is expected to be bare minimum- its been out for two decades ffs.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5361
    Points : 5598
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 pm

    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 pm

    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1494
    Points : 1528
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Zivo on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:22 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.

    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3203
    Points : 3317
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  flamming_python on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:59 am

    Zivo wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.


    Relikt's been around for a while - ain't there anything newer in the works?

    And Kaktus I think operates on a different principle than Relikt, I may be wrong though.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4495
    Points : 4674
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 am

    flamming_python wrote:
    Zivo wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    Vympel wrote:
    TR1 wrote:

    Kapitalnyi Remont- Capital Repairs- basically a major overhaul on a vehicle that has otherwise expired. By itself it might include no modernization or only small additions.

    Ah good. Speaking of upgrades - is the T-72B3 created solely from T-72Bs equipped with Kontakts-5 ERA, or do they take any T-72B, and by the time they're done, its equipped with Kontakts-5?

    (because I know T-72BA tanks with the wind sensor etc could be created from both T-72B w/ Kontakts and T-72B w/ Kontakts-5, but they never upgraded the ERA from Kontakts to Kontakts-5 in that instance)

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    Is there any news of new generation ERA for Armata platforms? Will Kurganets have ERA? Also whats the advantage of Relikt and Kaktus over Kontakt 5? I know Kontakt has a proven record; in a joint effort between Germany and America on a tank testing ground in West Germany, Kontakt has proven itself very effective at defeating NATO HEAT and APFSDS rounds of that generation, forcing NATO to redesign their rounds!

    Armata should use Relikt. IIRC Relikt has multiple layers of explosives and other material sandwiched together to form a large block. Kontakt 5 only has 3 layers, a steel plate on the back, the explosives, than a front steel plate. I believe "Kaktus" is the same thing as Relikt, but is just the name given to the layout of relikt when it's used as integral armor instead of add-on armor as we seen on Object 640.


    Relikt's been around for a while - ain't there anything newer in the works?

    And Kaktus I think operates on a different principle than Relikt, I may be wrong though.

    Seems like those 2 existed at least a decade before the armata platforms were even discussed.

    Vympel

    Posts : 112
    Points : 118
    Join date : 2013-01-30

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Vympel on Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 am

    Werewolf wrote:

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    That doesn't actually answer my question though, sorry.

    To reiterate - does the T-72B3 upgrade derive solely from T-72B tanks already equipped with Kontakts-V, or do they also take T-72B tanks without Kontakts-V and equip them with it during the upgrade process? Because its clear the T-72B3 only has Kontakts-V, not Relikt.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5361
    Points : 5598
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:28 am

    Vympel wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:

    Kontakt isn't used since early 80s.

    Kontakt 5 is standard and Kaktus,Relikt are the new ERA's.

    That doesn't actually answer my question though, sorry.

    To reiterate - does the T-72B3 upgrade derive solely from T-72B tanks already equipped with Kontakts-V, or do they also take T-72B tanks without Kontakts-V and equip them with it during the upgrade process? Because its clear the T-72B3 only has Kontakts-V, not Relikt.

    The russian tank designation actually tells if it has kontakt (ERA) or not, T-72B no ERA, T-72BV (V = Vzriv which means Explosion), even tho in the common soldiers and common people like us we do not use always this exact russian designation, for example there are no Mi-35M in russian military they are called Mi-24VM2 or Su-27SM2/3 (Su-35S).

    T-72B2 was already reported to have relikt, most probably not all but some.


    http://xn--80apaboi4ai.xn--p1ai/zashchita-btt/dz-relikt.html

    Комплекс принят на вооружение МО РФ в 2006 году. За разработку комплекса ряд специалистов НИИ Стали в числе прочих разработчиков награждены Премией Правительства РФ

    Nii Stali states Relikt was put into active service in 2006.

    http://www.niistali.ru/security/armor/relict?start=1

    It also says BMPT has relikt and T-72B2/3.

    So yes relikt is in service, but relikt fills this ERA slots of Number 1, the fit in ERA slots not the fully relikt upgrade.


    Sponsored content

    Re: T-72 ΜΒΤ: Μodernisation and Variants

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:53 am