Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News

Post  Vladimir79 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Su-34 aircraft engaged in the exploration and sidestep during the exercises "Vostok - 2010 "

Moscow . July 9. Interfax -AVN - During the tactical and strategic exercises "Vostok -2010 " two modern fighter-bomber Su-34 were used for solving exploration, overcoming defense imaginary enemy , the use of guided and unguided weapons against ground targets, reported to Interfax -AVN on Friday the head of the Lipetsk aviatsentra Major-General Alexander Harchevsky .

" Non-stop Flights to Komsomolsk- on-Amur and back, which were performed before exercise and after talking about the possibilities of the aircraft and pilots , and that with such powerful aircraft systems can ensure the safety of vast expanses of our country " , - said said.

Two Su -34 returned to the airfield aviatsentra Thursday. For the first time in the history of tactical aviation , they made a nonstop flight on the route Lipetsk - Komsomolsk - on- Amur. During the flight were carried out two in-flight refueling from a tanker flying the Il - 78.

In early June, a source in the military-industrial complex told Interfax -AVN that the state tests of multi-purpose Su-34 aircraft , which are in the State Flight Test Center ( glycyl ) Air Force Ahtubinsk (Astrakhan region) , is scheduled for completion by the end of the year .

According to the forecasts , the Su- 34 in the future form the basis of the strike power of Russian Frontal Aviation . The Ministry of Defence and Sukhoi signed a state contract for the supply of Russian Air Force 32 Sukhoi Su -34 . The first machines have already begun to arrive in the Lipetsk center deployment and retraining pilots RF Air Force .

Serial production of the Su -34 is the Novosibirsk Aviation Production Association named after Chkalov , which is part of the company " Sukhoi " .

The new strike aircraft Su-34 is capable of , regardless of time of day and weather conditions of engagement in any geographic area of land, sea and air targets with the whole range of aviation ordnance , including precision . On the combat capabilities of Su - 34 aircraft belongs to a generation 4 + . The presence of a plane active safety systems , along with the latest computers has created additional opportunities for Pilots and Navigators to precision bombing , maneuver under enemy fire .

Excellent aerodynamics, high capacity of internal fuel tanks , high-efficiency double-circuit motors with digital control systems, air refueling , and the suspension of additional fuel tanks provide a flight over long distances , approaching medium range strategic bombers.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Re: Su-34 Tactical Bomber: News

Post  Vladimir79 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:13 am

Russian Air Force will receive six Su -34

Six bombers last generation Su -34 will be delivered to the Russian Air Force until the end of this year , said general director of Sukhoi and MiG Mikhail Pogosyan Tuesday at the Air Show in Farnborough.

" Now we are implementing a contract for the supply of Su-34 for use MOD, two planes we have set , "- said Pogosyan.

"We are ramping up production in Novosibirsk , and I hope that next year will begin to supply the Air Force 12-20 aircraft each year " - he added .

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Such production rates can give 38 pieces by 2012. That would be nice of course with new contract signed.

What about SU-32?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:00 am

AFAIK the Su-32 is a modification of the Su-26 turboprop aircraft, with variants like Su-29 and Su-32 being used for high manouver show aircraft and two seat trainer variant.
    Even numbers denote a strike aircraft like Su-24 or Tu-22M, and trainers like Yak-130 and Su-32 while uneven numbers are generally fighters or fighter bombers.
    The Su-34 was supposed to be a fighter bomber, but in testing it is bomber/strike aircraft with good self defence capability.

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:12 pm

GarryB wrote:AFAIK the Su-32 is a modification of the Su-26 turboprop aircraft, with variants like Su-29 and Su-32 being used for high manouver show aircraft and two seat trainer variant.

i think he meant the Su-32FN

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 pm

VVS recieves four Su-34

NOVOSIBIRSK, December 20. (ITAR-TASS). Transmission to the Russian Air Force, four new Sukhoi Su-34 began today at the Novosibirsk Aviation Production Association (NAPO) im.Chkalova. This was reported in the company, noting that the process will last "more than one day."

Transferring Party bombers will be on schedule, despite the established in the Novosibirsk region adverse weather conditions.

"Today's 32-degree frost will not affect the transfer of the Su-34, one of the planes had just taken off from an airfield NAPO," - said a spokesman for aircraft construction enterprises.

The new airplanes from Novosibirsk distillery in Lipetsk, in the center of combat employment and retraining of pilots the Air Force. According to the Aviation Holding Company Sukhoi, which includes NAPO sent four Su-34 - "This is the final batch of serial bombers the Russian Air Force were to receive in 2010 the pace of supply of bombers will continue to grow."

On the combat capabilities of Su-34 aircraft belongs to a generation "4 +". Regardless of time of day and weather conditions the aircraft is capable of effectively engaging surface, sea and air targets in any geographic area with the whole range of aviation ordnance, including precision. The presence of a plane active safety systems, along with promising computers allowed to create additional opportunities for Pilots and Navigators to precision bombing, maneuver under fire. Installed on the Su-34 equipment allows us to use their weapons on multiple targets simultaneously.

Vladimir79
    Grand Marshal
    Grand Marshal

Post  Vladimir79 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 pm

Su-34 equipped APU

Moscow. December 20. Airports - Serial Sukhoi Su-34, the issue of which carries Novosibirsk Aviation Production Association. Chkalov, will be equipped with gas turbine auxiliary power units (APU), reported "AviaPort" an informed source in the military-industrial complex.

According to him, this year has successfully completed testing APU TA14-130-35 on one of the Su-34 installation of the series, received an appropriate act on positive test results and recommended installing APUs on production aircraft Su-34.

"Initially, MAT in the Su-34 was tested for NAPO, after which the aircraft was distilled in Akhtubinsk for state tests, whose volume was relatively small. All work performed by MAT testing performed on the ground without a safety" - a spokesman said.

In his view, if the customer decides, then the APU installation can be modified and the previously released planes, as all the technical problems are solved.

Add APU to Sukhoi Su-34 will give a completely new quality car, since it will be possible to work the land without the use of ground equipment for aircraft power supply, "- said the expert.

It is known that the Su-34 established the most perfect domestic avionics. In particular, the Su-34 survey-sighting equipment includes multi-mode radar with a phased development of B004 holding Leninets, radar rearview Optoelectronic sighting system with integrated laser sighting system, television and Helmet-mounted target designation system. The impact of the additional equipment (TV-command or teplovizimonnaya) are placed in hanging containers.

Dmitry Kozlov

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Russian Patriot on Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Russian Air Force receives new Su-34 fighter-bombers

RIA Novosti

16:00 28/12/2010

MOSCOW, December 28 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's Air Force received four new Su-34 Fullback fighter-bombers on Tuesday as part of its current modernization program, an Air Force spokesman said.

Russia started full-scale production of Su-34s in 2008 at a Novosibirsk-based aircraft-manufacturing plant, a subsidiary of the Sukhoi Aircraft Holding.

A total of 70 aircraft will be delivered by 2015 to replace outdated Su-24 Fencer fighter- bombers, which are currently undergoing modernization to prolong their service life.

Designed by Sukhoi, the $36-million Su-34 fighter-bomber is a two-seat strike aircraft fitted with twin AL-31MF afterburning turbofan engines.

It is designed to deliver high-precision strikes on heavily-defended targets under any weather conditions, day or night, and is equipped with a 30-mm GSh-301 cannon, up to 12 Alamo or Archer AAMs, ASMs, and bombs.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2010/russia-101228-rianovosti01.htm

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 am

So how many Su-34 did airforce recived this year 6 or 8?
    And how many in general are Su-34 in airforce.

I hope they can reach twelve pieces mark in 2011.

Russian Patriot
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Russian Patriot on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:41 pm

Russian Air Force to receive up to 100 Sukhoi fighter jets by 2015

RIA Novosti

07:55 02/01/2011

MOSCOW, January 2 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Air Force will receive up to 100 Sukhoi fighter jets by 2015, the Defense Ministry spokesman said on Sunday.

Three state contracts with the Sukhoi design bureau on the supply of the jets have been already signed, Vladimir Drik said.

Fifty advanced Su-35 Flanker-E multirole fighters, billed as "4++ generation using fifth-generation technology," more than ten advanced Su-27SM Flanker multirole jets and five Su-30M2 Flanker-C multirole fighters are among the aircraft to be supplied.

The Russian Air Force will also receive twenty-five new Su-34 Fullback fighter-bombers in the next few years, the spokesman said.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/library/news/russia/2011/russia-110102-rianovosti03.htm

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:07 am

I have not heard much about the Su-32FN, except that it is a navalised version with a MAD tail sensor and sonobouys optimised for maritime patrol.

This would be a very interesting replacement for the Su-24 because the Su-24 was mainly a naval strike aircraft whereas the Su-34 has much greater range and endurance potential.

I would think that the current focus on the navy and airforce might lead to further development but until production of the Su-34 can be ramped up it will take priority over the Su-32FN.

I would think a Su-32FN with newer lighter weapons and perhaps external fuel and inflight refuelling could take on some of the maritime strike missions of the naval Tu-22M3s.

Certainly the capacity to carry 3 Oniks missiles would make it a relatively dangerous aircraft.

Any hypersonic development would make it even more capable as long as the resulting weapon is not too big.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Yes, Su-34 can carry 3 Brahmos/Yakhont missiles making it most dangerous maritime strike fighter.

But as I read Su-32FN would consist of Sea Dragon/Sea Snake avionic suite making it good for hunting submarines too.

lightweight ASW torpedoes, carried in pairs on stations 8 and 9, for a total of 4 rounds, and a conformal centreline pod which can be loaded with up to 72 sonobuoys of various types. An ASW patrol weapons mix would probably involve a mix of these stores, drop tanks and depth charges

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Fullback.html

haavarla
    Private
    Private

Post  haavarla on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:20 am

Viktor wrote:So how many Su-34 did airforce recived this year 6 or 8?
    And how many in general are Su-34 in airforce.

I hope they can reach twelve pieces mark in 2011.

Hi Viktor.
    As of now, there are nine serial prod Su-34.
    The latest are the bort '09'

psg
    Private
    Private

Post  psg on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

have any of the members any information regarding the UOMz Platan targeting system in between the front end of the engine intakes/ ventral position and if the french licenced produced Thales Damocles targeting pod will be utilized on the platform.

Q. if they are both carried on the same platform will they allow 2 or more targets to be engaged? thanks

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 am

As far as I know the Platan system is a simple basic system that offers performance similar conceptually to the Kaira system on the Su-24 and I believe the Mig-27K.
    It is day and night capable but not all weather so it has LLLTV and probably image intensification capability but it is not a thermal system, but it is built in and together with navigation elements offers the ability to use dumb rockets and bombs as well as TV and laser guided weapons.
    I believe the Damocles will be licence produced in Russia and the first aircraft it will likely be fitted to is the Su-34 as an external pod to compliment and work with the internal Platan system.
    When carrying the Damocles pod the Fullback will have all weather day night optics, while without it it will rely on radar for bad weather targeting.
    I have heard of other targeting pod types like Sapsan and something called Solluks which I think might have been Russian competition with the Damocles.
    I suspect Sapsan and/or Solluks would likely be cheaper if less effective than Damocles and might be used on aircraft to give them air to ground capabilities they otherwise wouldn't have, or to enhance the capabilities they do have.
    For instance the Mig-29SMT can engage ground targets with laser guided weapons but as the laser marking equipment is in the upper nose with the IRST and is pretty much optimised for air to air an under wing mounted pod like Sapsan would improve the field of view and field of engagement if the aircraft was marking targets for itself and presumably with better optics allow greater standoff ranges.
    I have already suggested using targeting pods on the Su-25 and a cheaper system with a range of 10km or so would suit it and be much cheaper than Shkval in the T and TM upgrades while offering the same capabilities. (Remember when Hermes gets into service the Frogfoot will need some optics system to target them and a targeting pod would be ideal as you could use 4-5 for every 20-30 planes and save a bit of money while still enjoying the improved capabilities.)

psg
    Private
    Private

Post  psg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:50 am

thanks GarryB, the su 34 is a formidable multirole warplane. but to be honest i feel that the tu 22m3 is going to be replaced by the former without fully being used/exploited for the heavy bomb truck or heavy theatre bomber role that she can easily do with minor modifications, i mean upto 24 tonnes of mixed weapons ie, anti radar missiles, laser/tv guided missiles, glonass bombs etc on one platform is scary!!!
    the room for growth is huge as is the space inside her, if only they would be refitted with inflight refueling probes and removed from the strategic nuclear role which i feel is very limited. they would serve multirole missions, deep strike, sead, anti surface. your thoughts pls?

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 am

The Tu-22M3 is one of my favourite planes and I think it has enormous potential and flexibility.

the room for growth is huge as is the space inside her, if only they
    would be refitted with inflight refueling probes and removed from the
    strategic nuclear role which i feel is very limited. they would serve
    multirole missions, deep strike, sead, anti surface.

The huge irony is that its primary role within the Russian long range aviation is not strategic and never has been, it was a theatre strike aircraft with targets most likely being major radar centres and HQ and Comms and its primary weapon in the 1980s was the kh-15 Kickback with a nuclear warhead. It is described as being able to carry 10 missiles and as it can carry 6 Kh-15s internally I assume that means it can also carry 4 more externally.
    The most common weapon load it is seen with is one or two large Kh-22M missiles which are available in a range of versions including anti radiation (Mach 3 and about 300km range), anti ship/anti significantly large land target with a radar in its nose, and a nuclear armed weapon with intertial navigation to get it "near" the target an an 800KT nuclear warhead.
    It could also carry a range of dumb bombs.
    This was very limiting.
    The growth potential is enormous but then again the question is should effort be used to upgrade this aircraft, or develop newer aircraft?
    Personally I think it has a lot of potential and while the Su-34 can certainly fill many of the shorter ranged missions and for the longer ranged missions the Blackjack and Bear are also being upgraded too I do believe the large size, the crew size, and the payload range performance of the Tu-22M3 makes it worth looking at.
    Options include:
    -a huge AESA radar in the nose and possibly rear and sides with a large payload of long range AAMs like R-37Ms where its flight range and large fuel reserve should result in long operational radius and low interception times and two pilots plus potentially a radar/IRST operator (ideally with a damocles pod too) and someone to manage counter jamming and ESM.
    -a ground scanning radar for ground targets, and the equivelent of 2 or three Damocles like pods on the front central belly area with two pilots able to work in shifts for long missions plus the two other crew looking for ground targets in real time close to friendly forces, and of course using GLONASS guided bombs of very small size like FAB-50s with satellite guidance to minimise the risk of collateral damage in a guerilla conflict... note for this new external racks for small bombs and attachment points for targeting pods and a couple of MFDs in the rear two positions would be all that is needed for an aircraft that can operate 6-8 hours over the combat zone looking for targets and supporting ground forces above the range of groundfire.
    -Or a multipurpose upgrade... change the engines so they are the same as fitted to the Tu-160 to reduce costs and make Blackjack operations cheaper too. Upgrade the electronics so that it can use modern guided weapons and update its radar to match the Bear and Blackjack upgrades. Add capabilities like the ability to carry the father of all bombs that the Blackjack can carry. Add a bombing computer like the one fitted one Su-24 to allow bombing in free flight.

Brahmos is a large missile and Brahmos II wont be any smaller. I would expect that the 4 external hardpoints on the Backfire should be able to carry one Brahmos or Brahmos II each which with the potential for 6 Kh-15 equivelent weapons carried internally would make it a very potent anti shipping or anti land target system.

I would even keep the tail gun with its ability to fire Chaff dipoles and flares in bursts high enough to form IR or radar reflecting clouds rapidly away from the actual aircraft...

A more fundamental upgrade might consider dropping the max speed requirement and reducing to one engine and larger fixed wings able to carry external weapons and internal fuel and of course towed decoys.

Another option I missed out is the large size and raw power of the aircraft could be used to make a super growler covered in ARMs and jamming pods and towed decoys able to keep up with strike packages. Give it a large AESA that can be used for jamming and some long range anti radiation missiles for SAM threats and some long range AAMs for anti AWACs use and perhaps a large belly pod with 10 disposable towed jammers and fuel in the front... again the 4 man crew is an asset too.

I remember reading a while back that they tested a jammer version of the Backfire but it lost to a jammer version of the Il-76 because the latter had a much more powerful jammer. I wonder if it would have had more power with the Blackjacks engines instead of its own? I also wonder if a dedicated jammer Backfire could have an extra third engine whose only purpose is to generate power for the jammer so it would have no conventional payload capacity but a belly mounted extra jet engine and the weapon bay could be sealed and filled with fuel and an extra 18 tons of fuel carried in lieu of payload. (The max payload of 24 tons is at the expense of some internal fuel so adding say a 2 ton engine and not offloading any fuel to allow for more payload should allow for an 18 ton payload... which in this case we will use for extra fuel and an inflight refuelling probe because it is not a strategic bomber... it is a jammer... that should be able to keep up with pretty much any strike package.

The extra engine mounted in the belly like the semi conformal position of the Kh-22M will generate electricity for the jammer but it will also generate thrust which will improve performance and if chosen carefully could be used in cruise flight with the main engines shut down even.

BTW this backfire stuff is a bit off topic so perhaps we should move it to perhaps here:
    http://www.russiadefence.net/t820-fate-of-tu-22m3-engine-production-discontinued

haavarla
    Private
    Private

Post  haavarla on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:52 am

While the Tu-22M3 is a scary and deadly platform, its an older design created in the Cold War enviroment.
    Like many other designs from that era, it too big, too costly to operate, no need to kill a bug with a cannon.

The Su-34 platform is targeted to fill in a nice between the older Su-24M and the Tu-22M3.
    Sure its a compromise from the Tu-22M3.
    But the whole RuAF is in the middle of a huge re-structuring and it includes new airforce doctrines and operational capabilities, likewise getting rid of older doctrines and capabilities dating back to SV times.

One of the resons for the re-structure of the RuAF is to save cost, making it more streamlined and dynamic.
    There is no more need for the ageing T-22M3 as more Su-34 comes on service.
    Pity though, i like the Tu-22M3.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm

It is a fairly successful aircraft and its operating costs could be reduced by changing its engine to be the same as the Blackjack. In most terms the performance and weight and in many other areas the NK-25 and NK-321 are similar or identical.
    Both put out 25 tons of thrust. They have the same fuel consumption rating at take off power. The NK-321 has a higher inlet temperature but only 30 degrees Kelvin higher and both engines are 3.65 tons.
    The NK-25 has a bypass ratio of 1.45 and the NK-321 has a bypass ratio of 1.36.

Personally I think a brand new engine using 5th gen technologies should be developed and put in the Tu-22M3 and the Tu-160. A junior version of it could be used in a single engine fighter design if they could halve its weight of course... but one of the features of newer engines is fewer stages and fewer parts so making them lighter should certainly be part of the process.

The problem I have with the suggestion that the Su-34 can do the job of the Backfire and the Fencer... the first problem is how many Su-34s are there and is the low rate of production going to change soon enough to make up enough numbers to do the Fencer mission let alone the Backfire mission?
    The second problem is that for the Su-34 to perform some Backfire missions deep in Europe or Asia it will need inflight refuelling tankers and there aren't enough for strategic aviation let alone tactical aviation.

Considering the B-52 is still doing a good job I see no reason to race to scrap the Backfires or Bears or Blackjacks for that matter... and if Backfires are hard to maintain that is because the AF is too cheap to replace all the old hard to get components and update them so they are cheaper to maintain and operate.

According to flight international as of December 2010 there were 93 Tu-22M3s in Russian AF service and a further 58 in the Russian Navy force. That means they have more Backfires than Bears and Blackjacks combined... and that includes Tu-142 Maritime Patrol Aircraft... 16 Blackjacks, 50 Bears, and 15 Tu-142s... compared with 151 Backfires.
    With twice as many engines I would suspect the Blackjack is the more expensive aircraft to maintain and operate...
    Apart from the US and Russia the next most powerful heavy bomber is the Tu-16 knock offs China makes. Or perhaps it would be Australias F-111s... but even Carlos Kopp... SUPER F-111 fan admits one Backfire = 2 F-111s with inflight refuelling support.

I agree with streamlining, but I think that useful assets should be kept till there is a real replacement.

Stealthflanker
    Major
    Major

Post  Stealthflanker on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Well for me

Loss of Tu-22M3=Loss of Strategic Carrier Killing Machine

IronsightSniper
    Junior Lieutenant
    Junior Lieutenant

Post  IronsightSniper on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:59 pm

The only real difference between the Su-34 and Tu-22M3 in terms of Carrier-killing capacity are their missile carrying capacity, to which the Tu-22M3 has more and the Su-34 has less. They'll still be able to do the same job, as the Su-34 has enough range regardless. The biggest difference however is the fact that the Su-34 is multi-role and cheaper, while the Tu-22M3 can only do so much tasks.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 am

The Russian AF have said they want to retain all three Tupolevs in service and give them all upgrades till the mid 2020s when a new design will replace all three.

As such the Tu-22M3 could easily be made multirole and its enormous payload potential can be exploited.

...to quote Carlos Kopp:
    External
    beam ejector racks can be fitted to the outboard glove stations and
    inboard ventral inlet tunnel stations, each carrying 9 x FAB-250 500 lb
    dumb bombs, which including the 24 round bomb bay stations permits
    carriage of up to 69 FAB-250 rounds, more than the Mk.82 payload of the
    B-52H.

Now a 250 kg bomb could be fitted with satellite guidance kits and used in a precision carpet bombing raid...

If it could be fitted with new engines that could also be fitted to the Tu-160 that would be a huge boost for both aircraft, because a production run of 64 engines to replace those fitted to the 16 Tu-160s could be turned into a production run of over 350 when the Backfire is added to the mix. Further developments of the new engine could be used for the PAK DA or as its basis... so it would improve performance now of the majority of long range aviations bombers, it will reduce maintainence costs and narrow logistics costs by removing two engines from the inventory and replacing them with one new one.

Viktor
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Viktor on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Interesting discussion is made of Su-34 about Tu-22M3.

I wonder whats the idea behind Su-34 considering Su-35 is able to do its job just as good. Hardpoints/radar system/IRST/engine/combat radius whats so special about it Su-35 can not do so Su-34 needs to be produced. Ability of pilots to stand up and go to cook some tea? Dont think so.

Cyberspec
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Cyberspec on Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:49 pm

Viktor wrote:I wonder whats the idea behind Su-34 considering Su-35 is able to do its job just as good. Hardpoints/radar system/IRST/engine/combat radius whats so special about it Su-35 can not do so Su-34 needs to be produced. Ability of pilots to stand up and go to cook some tea? Dont think so.

The Su-34 is specialised for the bomber role. For a start, it's radar and avionics are optimised for the ground attack role.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 am

Have you ever been on a long distance bus ride?

It is tiring... even with stops every few hours to buy something at a cafe and stretch the legs.

The simple fact is that the ability to stand up and stretch or go to the toilet on an 8 hour mission is about as valuable as an ejection seat... you don't plan to need it but when it is available you thank the designers for it.

Imagine sitting on your a$$ for 4 hours in the same seat and then having to go into combat... needing to go to the toilet is bad enough on a bus but in a plane pulling gs it can cause damage.

Also experience has shown that side by side seating greatly improves communication in a crew.

It is quite funny that the Soviets adopted an F-111 like Su-24 and then instead of following the US pattern of the F-15E they went with an F-15_111.

No surprise really, now that the Russians are working on the Su-35 the US is working on its silent eagle equivalent.

The competition was between the Su-34 and Su-30 (which was just an Su-27UB), which the Su-34 won.
    The Su-35(BM) is a much newer aircraft and in its standard form is a single seat aircraft not really suited to penetrating air defences on its own in a strike role.

There will be overlaps in performance and operational roles, but each has a different design focus and will be deployed to different units to perform different roles.

The shared components will reduce operational costs, but the difference is justified.

If only they could increase production numbers for the Su-34...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:47 am

Current date/time is Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:47 am