Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Il-476: News

Berkut
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Re: Il-476: News

Post  Berkut on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:19 am

GarryB wrote:
    The most interesting feature seems to be the instalation of a DIRCM suite.

I don't see a DIRCM suite... I do see FLIR ball just in front of the nose windows, but no DIRCM turrets.

Take a closer look.

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 am

GarryB wrote:I don't see a DIRCM suite... I do see FLIR ball just in front of the nose windows, but no DIRCM turrets.
    Also, right above the navigator windows, behind the radome, you will see the UV sensors associated with DIRCM systems.
    And why would Il-76 need FLIR ball? It has huge windows in the chin.

Berkut
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Berkut on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Are you telling us that humans are able to see in IR and see well at any time of the day? Shit, that is a capability i have missed out on mine Mark 1 eyes.

Svyatoslavich
    Senior Sergeant
    Senior Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:33 am

Berkut wrote:Are you telling us that humans are able to see in IR and see well at any time of the day? Shit, that is a capability i have missed out on mine Mark 1 eyes.
    Hahaha, very funny. But no, not quite what I meant. I was thinking more about the An-70 prototype and how it received an optronic ball in 2014 right before the Russians jumped off the project, opposed to the newly built Il-76MD-90 which didn't. That ball surely is helpful to give the crew better forward and downward views when landing in short, unprepared runways, but not so much neeeded in the Il-76 with that glass nose (unless they also want to land in unprepared fields in the middle of the night with no lighting, or with very bad weather).

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:38 am

Take a closer look.

I don't see it in the image... I have read about it in the article FP posted at the top of the page:

"The defensive suite will defend the upgraded Il-76MDM aircraft from all hostile weapon systems," the chief designer said. According to him, the aircraft’s defensive suite includes infrared decoys and other systems.

But I don't see it in the image.

Also, right above the navigator windows, behind the radome, you will see the UV sensors associated with DIRCM systems.
    And why would Il-76 need FLIR ball? It has huge windows in the chin.

Did you read the article at the top of the page?

Particularly this section?

The aircraft’s nose-based electro-optical sight system allows observing landing areas and any facilities both in the infrared and the optical bands. Also, the Il-76MDM aircraft is equipped with a satellite navigation system that meets all the requirements and rules for flights along Russian and foreign air routes that both exist and will appear in future.

Hahaha, very funny. But no, not quite what I meant. I was thinking more about the An-70 prototype and how it received an optronic ball in 2014 right before the Russians jumped off the project, opposed to the newly built Il-76MD-90 which didn't. That ball surely is helpful to give the crew better forward and downward views when landing in short, unprepared runways, but not so much neeeded in the Il-76 with that glass nose (unless they also want to land in unprepared fields in the middle of the night with no lighting, or with very bad weather).

Actually thermal imagers cannot see through standard glass and can only see through special crystal lenses, so pointing a thermal sight through the lower windows of an Il-76 would be a waste of time.

A stabilised IR ball with magnifying optics and thermal imager and laser rangefinder offers excellent observation which is why it is adopted.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:59 am

It seems that the optoelectronic ball at least partially replaces the upper-center window pannel.

The DIRCM heads may include the objects below and to the front of the main landing gear fairing.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:05 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:05 am