Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Il-476 Transport

Svyatoslavich
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Re: Il-476 Transport

Post  Svyatoslavich on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:58 pm

George1 wrote:Lifetime of updated Il-76MD-M is extended by 15 years. Russia to update 41 Il-76MDs

https://twitter.com/KURYERSAT/status/704409731687981056

The most interesting feature seems to be the instalation of a DIRCM suite.
    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:18 pm

RuAF to get 3 new Il-76MD-90As in 2017. No new airlifters in 2016

https://twitter.com/KURYERSAT/status/705377673028231168

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 am

I don't see a DIRCM suite... I do see FLIR ball just in front of the nose windows, but no DIRCM turrets.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Berkut
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Berkut on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:19 am

GarryB wrote:

I don't see a DIRCM suite... I do see FLIR ball just in front of the nose windows, but no DIRCM turrets.

Take a closer look.

Svyatoslavich
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:58 am

GarryB wrote:I don't see a DIRCM suite... I do see FLIR ball just in front of the nose windows, but no DIRCM turrets.
    Also, right above the navigator windows, behind the radome, you will see the UV sensors associated with DIRCM systems.
    And why would Il-76 need FLIR ball? It has huge windows in the chin.
    Berkut
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

Post  Berkut on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Are you telling us that humans are able to see in IR and see well at any time of the day? Shit, that is a capability i have missed out on mine Mark 1 eyes.

Svyatoslavich
    Master Sergeant
    Master Sergeant

Post  Svyatoslavich on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:33 am

Berkut wrote:Are you telling us that humans are able to see in IR and see well at any time of the day? Shit, that is a capability i have missed out on mine Mark 1 eyes.
    Hahaha, very funny. But no, not quite what I meant. I was thinking more about the An-70 prototype and how it received an optronic ball in 2014 right before the Russians jumped off the project, opposed to the newly built Il-76MD-90 which didn't. That ball surely is helpful to give the crew better forward and downward views when landing in short, unprepared runways, but not so much neeeded in the Il-76 with that glass nose (unless they also want to land in unprepared fields in the middle of the night with no lighting, or with very bad weather).
    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:38 am

Take a closer look.

I don't see it in the image... I have read about it in the article FP posted at the top of the page:

"The defensive suite will defend the upgraded Il-76MDM aircraft from all hostile weapon systems," the chief designer said. According to him, the aircraft’s defensive suite includes infrared decoys and other systems.

But I don't see it in the image.

Also, right above the navigator windows, behind the radome, you will see the UV sensors associated with DIRCM systems.
    And why would Il-76 need FLIR ball? It has huge windows in the chin.

Did you read the article at the top of the page?

Particularly this section?

The aircraft’s nose-based electro-optical sight system allows observing landing areas and any facilities both in the infrared and the optical bands. Also, the Il-76MDM aircraft is equipped with a satellite navigation system that meets all the requirements and rules for flights along Russian and foreign air routes that both exist and will appear in future.

Hahaha, very funny. But no, not quite what I meant. I was thinking more about the An-70 prototype and how it received an optronic ball in 2014 right before the Russians jumped off the project, opposed to the newly built Il-76MD-90 which didn't. That ball surely is helpful to give the crew better forward and downward views when landing in short, unprepared runways, but not so much neeeded in the Il-76 with that glass nose (unless they also want to land in unprepared fields in the middle of the night with no lighting, or with very bad weather).

Actually thermal imagers cannot see through standard glass and can only see through special crystal lenses, so pointing a thermal sight through the lower windows of an Il-76 would be a waste of time.

A stabilised IR ball with magnifying optics and thermal imager and laser rangefinder offers excellent observation which is why it is adopted.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Morpheus Eberhardt
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:59 am

It seems that the optoelectronic ball at least partially replaces the upper-center window pannel.

The DIRCM heads may include the objects below and to the front of the main landing gear fairing.
    Tsavo Lion
    Corporal
    Corporal

Il-476 Transport

Post  Tsavo Lion on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Regarding IL-76s:
    Upgraded IL-76 Service Life Extended by 40 Years: Russian Company Claims  02:45 PM, July 25
    The Ilyushin Il-76MD-M military transport plane is currently performing test flights as part of its production flight tests. "As of today, the plane has performed ten test flights. During the upgrade, the plane’s service life was extended to 40 years. The plane also received a new flight and navigation system and its lighting, airdropping, utility, self-defense and communications equipment has been replaced," the press office of Russia’s Radio-Electronic Technologies Group said last Friday. According to the press office, a multipurpose electro-optical sighting system was installed in the Il-76MD-M plane’s nose to make airdrops more accurate and safer. The system allows watching the drop zone in all weather conditions as it works in the infrared and optical bands. "During the upgrade, the plane received some units interchangeable with parts of the advanced Il-76MD-90A military transport plane," the press office said. According to Russia’s Defense Ministry, the upgrade of the Il-76MD plane to the Il-76MD-M level is expected to cost 30% or less than the cost of advanced aircraft. In all, 41 Il-76MD planes are planned to be upgraded to the Il-76MD-M level. Work is currently under way to upgrade the Il-78 (Midas) and Il-78M aerial refueling planes to the Il-78-2 and Il-78M-2 level, respectively.
    Upgraded Il-76MD-M Airlifter Makes First Flight in Russia
    by Vladimir Karnozov  - March 1, 2016, 10:23 AM
    Russian aircraft manufacturer Ilyushin conducted the first flight of an upgraded Il-76MD-M airlifter on February 28. Chief test pilot Nikolai Kuimov headed the design bureau’s crew for the flight, which was uneventful.
    The Il-76MD-M is a mid-life upgrade of the four-engine Il-76MD airlifter. The flight-test aircraft, registered as RF-76746, was reworked at Ilyushin’s flight-test facility in Zhukovsky near Moscow. The design bureau plans to complete flight tests later this year and use RF-76746 as the prototype to upgrade 40 Il-76M/MDs now in service with the Russian air force. Ilyushin is performing the work under contract to the Russian defense ministry. The latter also plans to fund a similar upgrade on a still undetermined number of Il-78M tankers. The TAPO factory in Uzbekistan built nearly a thousand Il-76M/MDs and delivered the last airlifter in 1992. Forty will be upgraded to the MD-M standard over the next 12 years. The MD-M upgrade targets the youngest part of the Il-76M/MD fleet—mainly those airframes with the longest remaining service life. The upgrade features a modern avionics suite, a new radio communications set and a self-protection system. The aircraft keeps its original Soloviev D-30KP2 engines. Its service life is extended by 10 years to 40 years. Some of the MD-M onboard systems are replaced with systems developed for the new Il-76MD-90A transport, which is being produced by the Aviastar factory in Ulianovsk. As of late February, the Russian air force had accepted two of the 39 Il-76MD-90As it has ordered; a third was undergoing acceptance trials. Aviastar will deliver the -90A model through 2021. Another Il-76MD upgrade solution that centered on replacing the D-30KP engines with Aviadvigatel PS-90A-76 turbofans has been scrapped due to cost. One aircraft, designated Il-76MD-90, underwent flight trials and later provided a testbed for the Il-76MD-90A project. “There will be no massive replacement of D-30KP engines by the newer PS-90A on in-service aircraft,” Ilyushin general designer Nikolai Talikov told AIN.  
    Russia’s Il-76MD-M Plane Undergoing Production Flight Tests  26 july 2016
    The Ilyushin Il-76MD-M military transport plane is currently performing test flights as part of its production flight tests, the press office of Russia’s Radio-Electronic Technologies Group said. "As of today, the plane has performed ten test flights.
    Tsavo Lion
    Corporal
    Corporal

Il-476 Transport

Post  Tsavo Lion on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:55 am

Good points! BTW, many Il-76MD-Ms &/ Il-76MD-90As may be ordered by current Il-76 users:
    At least four countries - Iran, Algeria, South Africa and Kazakhstan - had shown interest in buying the Il-76MD-90A (also known as Il-476), the general director of aircraft-maker Aviastar-SP said Friday.
    ULYANOVSK (Sputnik) — Russia's Ilyushin Il-76-MD-90A heavy military transport aircraft has a promising exports potential and its first deliveries to foreign customers deliveries may begin as early as in 2017, the general director of aircraft-maker Aviastar-SP said Friday. .."I think, that the Il-76-MD-90A has a big exports potential…I hope the first plane will be ready for export in 2017," Sergei Dementyev told RIA Novosti.
    According to the general director, the aircraft-maker has plans to expand the production capacity of the modernized Il-76, which would allow the company to produce up to 18 aircraft a year. Under this financial model, Aviastar-SP would make up to 190 heavy transport planes by 2030, Dementyev said.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 2:50 pm