Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    U.S. Army News:

    Share

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:46 pm

    That is almost insanity, to waste so many billions in projects where they already know that the results will end in best case into a multi million loss rather to a multi bln loss.

    Trying to make jumps before they can properly walk that's just facepalming stupid.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15468
    Points : 16175
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  GarryB on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:20 am

    Well it depends on expectations... spending lots of money to make some sort of uber suit that allows your soldiers to become totally bullet proof and fly etc etc is stupid, working on technology that could lead to new features in a pressure suit that could be used in space or diving and could eventually lead to a new type of protection for soldiers is basically a test and a long term investment.
    A test to see what needs to be improved and what is possible now and an investment for the future for when certain technologies are more mature.

    For instance a new super aramide fibre that can absorb small arms fire based on carbon nanotubes could be a significant step towards a structural element for a new type of armour... but we wont know until we put out the money and try.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  collegeboy16 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 am

    mw3 juggernaut suit+ rbot legs=profit

    TheGeorgian
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 199
    Points : 176
    Join date : 2014-06-22

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  TheGeorgian on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:04 pm

    Exosceleton combat suits will be used in the future. That is guaranteed because it is needed. Armies will be much smaller and more efficient. Much more electronic warfare and far less huge scale battles. There also won't be really much to fight for if we continue like this. What worries me are not the finances, that won't be a problem. What worries me is how humans neglect more important things, like environment and climate and all the other problems, including the ever growing population on this planet ....

    Armies of countries like USA, Russia, India, China, Pakistan will all get those. Maybe not in the same scale like US though.

    I agree with Werewolf on this matter. This nothing that will be introduced en masse for the next 1-2 decades if not half a century.....

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  collegeboy16 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:51 pm

    TheGeorgian wrote:Exosceleton combat suits will be used in the future. That is guaranteed because it is needed. Armies will be much smaller and more efficient. Much more electronic warfare and far less huge scale battles. There also won't be really much to fight for if we continue like this. What worries me are not the finances, that won't be a problem. What worries me is how humans neglect more important things, like environment and climate and all the other problems, including the ever growing population on this planet ....

    Armies of countries like USA, Russia, India, China, Pakistan will all get those. Maybe not in the same scale like US though.

    I agree with Werewolf on this matter. This nothing that will be introduced en masse for the next 1-2 decades if not half a century.....
    thought the latest post is about it being cancelled, but yeah i agree exosuits are the future for infantry.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15468
    Points : 16175
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:29 am

    What worries me is how humans neglect more important things, like environment and climate and all the other problems, including the ever growing population on this planet ....

    Projects like these do have potential.. for instance to some people flying to the moon was a complete waste of money, but the drive to miniaturise electronics led to mini and micro computers being developed. Equally the technology needed to fly to Mars will require much better management of life support resources... air to breathe, water to drink, food to eat... the more we can recycle and the more efficiently we can extract water or produce food the less we will have to send... the more efficiently we can purify water and clean air and recycle raw materials... such technologies can be applied on Earth. Right now all these things are abundant but as the human population increases and the animal populations decrease we are going to have to become more efficient at managing what we have and increasing production of the necessities of life.

    In 200 years time the great grand daddy of the Talos might be an environment suit that allows humans to live quite comfortably in very harsh environments... including 60 degree C deserts, -40 degree C frozen Tundra, and even in the 2/3rds of the planets surface covered in water...

    I remember seeing an exoskeleton suit made in Russia that let what looked like a fairly average build soldier walk around quite easily with a 100kg weight on his back. the exoskeleton took the weight easily and let the young soldier walk around freely. I have also seen a lower body exoskeleton developed in NZ for people who have lost the use of their legs... both sound rather worthwhile programs.


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    TheGeorgian
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 199
    Points : 176
    Join date : 2014-06-22

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  TheGeorgian on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:48 am

    [quote="GarryB"]

    In 200 years time the great grand daddy of the Talos might be an environment suit that allows humans to live quite comfortably in very harsh environments... including 60 degree C deserts, -40 degree C frozen Tundra, and even in the 2/3rds of the planets surface covered in water...

    True, it can also lead to other achievements as well. Well if we go by centuries there should also be exosceleton with liquid armor by then .... ^^

    I remember seeing an exoskeleton suit made in Russia that let what looked like a fairly average build soldier walk around quite easily with a 100kg weight on his back. the exoskeleton took the weight easily and let the young soldier walk around freely. I have also seen a lower body exoskeleton developed in NZ for people who have lost the use of their legs... both sound rather worthwhile programs.

    Interesting. I think the Japanese are making the furthest jumps in creating supportive exoskeletons though. Active Link and Cyberdyne to name.

    About Russian version. I only saw that exhibition tape where the soldiers carries that huge shield in front of him. Are there any training footage ? would be very welcome.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15468
    Points : 16175
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:23 am

    the video footage I saw showed an average sized soldier wearing the skeleton with dumbell weights attached. he seemed to be able to walk and move around freely with the exoskeleton taking the weight.

    I can imagine in a few years some sort of huge backpack ammo container holding 5,000 rounds of 30 cal ammo with a water cooling system with a linkless belt feed to a bullpup PKP with a water jacket keeping the barrel cool....  Twisted Evil attack 


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:01 pm

    The problem with such, like almost every technology is, the time they find their way into active service of militaries they are already decades old technology.

    I mean counter balancing systemes for rifles is how old by now?

    Tested in early 1980s and is only now fieldtested for ratnik. RWS (Remote Weapon Stations), since use 1980 on some tanks are coming only now slowly as a "NEW" feature.
    Reactive armor first studies were made in USSR late 40s, only entered service 30 years after.

    By the time new technologies enter service they are actually already ancient in terms of modern warfare and technologies.

    Of course all that is not that easy to bring within a few years into service, also would be often painful outcome when some technologies need to mature more, and lobbyism plays also a role but the biggest problem is, Humans.

    We are reactioners not actioners. We tend to wear helmets after we fall from bikes. Young drivers tend to drive slow and safe after they created an incident. We think about technologies that safe human lifes after we lose human lifes and i don't speak about super genius technologies that only an Einstein would be capable to develope such thoughts, i mean such things like a saftey belt in cars, or at least traffic law.

    When we see those Exoscelton suites that help people to carry 100kg + in the more usual units, we will already have technologies that actually could come closer to Crysis power armors.

    TheGeorgian
    Sergeant
    Sergeant

    Posts : 199
    Points : 176
    Join date : 2014-06-22

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  TheGeorgian on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:25 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    I can imagine in a few years some sort of huge backpack ammo container holding 5,000 rounds of 30 cal ammo with a water cooling system with a linkless belt feed to a bullpup PKP with a water jacket keeping the barrel cool....  Twisted Evil attack 

    literaly cool  lol1 

    The trick is not to loose speed and agility. If they somehow accomplish to create something like that plus a good arlound body protection. Most primarly upper body-torso-neck-head area with limb and other areas not that much but also at least some decent level of protection, than it would be more than enough.

    With the current state of military version exosuits, those can rather be used to transport ammunition from A to B or even plateau A to height B without any problem. It would slightly reduce the need of supply drops, helicopters and vehicles especialy when fuel will be highly limited in future. Such a suit would allways come in handy for that.

    However I think it is too early to have combat suits though. But who knows.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15468
    Points : 16175
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:55 pm

    Well... if they currently work with 100kg loads then you have to say what are the current limits.

    I think the most important thing about the Russian kit is that it was purely mechanical and did not use a power supply.

    If it can be made to support 300kgs and retain mobility in all weathers and conditions then you would have to say that 300kgs is a lot of weapons, armour, food, and water... what else do you need?

    Finding useful applications of this technology shouldn't be hard...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:26 pm

    GarryB wrote:Well... if they currently work with 100kg loads then you have to say what are the current limits.

    I think the most important thing about the Russian kit is that it was purely mechanical and did not use a power supply.

    If it can be made to support 300kgs and retain mobility in all weathers and conditions then you would have to say that 300kgs is a lot of weapons, armour, food, and water... what else do you need?

    Finding useful applications of this technology shouldn't be hard...

    300kgs... A walking Kornet launching soldier with half dozen Kornets and a Gsch-7.62mm.

    magnumcromagnon
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4468
    Points : 4659
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 pm

    Werewolf wrote:The problem with such, like almost every technology is, the time they find their way into active service of militaries they are already decades old technology.

    I mean counter balancing systemes for rifles is how old by now?

    Tested in early 1980s and is only now fieldtested for ratnik. RWS (Remote Weapon Stations), since use 1980 on some tanks are coming only now slowly as a "NEW" feature.
    Reactive armor first studies were made in USSR late 40s, only entered service 30 years after.

    By the time new technologies enter service they are actually already ancient in terms of modern warfare and technologies.

    Of course all that is not that easy to bring within a few years into service, also would be often painful outcome when some technologies need to mature more, and lobbyism plays also a role but the biggest problem is, Humans.

    We are reactioners not actioners. We tend to wear helmets after we fall from bikes. Young drivers tend to drive slow and safe after they created an incident. We think about technologies that safe human lifes after we lose human lifes and i don't speak about super genius technologies that only an Einstein would be capable to develope such thoughts, i mean such things like a saftey belt in cars, or at least traffic law.

    When we see those Exoscelton suites that help people to carry 100kg + in the more usual units, we will already have technologies that actually could come closer to Crysis power armors.

    ...Your right, to get an exoskeleton to actually be practical and not cumbersome, we would literally need a quantum leap in quantum computing and nanotechnology! The Crysis suit's true strength lied in it's ability to control the very molecules of the material that made up the suit, if you could program the very molecules that make up the suits material and turn them in to super-computers...then creating a suit that's fluid like liquid to allow maneuverability one second, but on ballistic impact turn in to material more resilient than diamond another second is well quite feasible exoskeleton to create, especially if the suit's main material is carbon based.

    Let's not kid ourselves though, in the near future such technology will still be science fiction and would only be feasible 20-30 years from now, and it's still way more likely that such technology revolutionizes tank armor and fighter plane air-frames than it would revolutionize body armor.

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  collegeboy16 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:32 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    ...Your right, to get an exoskeleton to actually be practical and not cumbersome, we would literally need a quantum leap in quantum computing and nanotechnology! The Crysis suit's true strength lied in it's ability to control the very molecules of the material that made up the suit, if you could program the very molecules that make up the suits material and turn them in to super-computers...then creating a suit that's fluid like liquid to allow maneuverability one second, but on ballistic impact turn in to material more resilient than diamond another second is well quite feasible exoskeleton to create, especially if the suit's main material is carbon based.

    Let's not kid ourselves though, in the near future such technology will still be science fiction and would only be feasible 20-30 years from now, and it's still way more likely that such technology revolutionizes tank armor and fighter plane air-frames than it would revolutionize body armor.
    20-30 years for nanosuit tech? thats too optimistic even if we're only talking about working prototypes. Not to mention a direct hit from an RPG and you are dead(the impact pressure turns both armor even as hard as diamond and jet into liquid mostly flowing towards your innards)

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:12 pm

    I used Crysis exoskeleton not as an example of actual exoskeleton we could have but as a comperision of todays mechanic/electric exoskeleton that have no other use but giving the carrier ability to carry about 100-150kg, but cripples his maneuverbility. You would not be able to take cover when you got under enemy fire, and going into squad position when your only cover would be even 10 cm lower you would be still exposed.

    I mean untill exoskeletons become to what people dream about, a structure that makes you stronger,faster and more robust that will take more like 50 years, something like that we should be prepared for. And this 50 years would only give the timespan to develope such technology, not counting the time we would need until we can see it in military use.

    Such technology on the low level we have right now is already so expensive that even Special forces would not won't or be capable to purchase such technology in sufficient number and we will only see that the Technology will become more expensive through a lot more components to comprimise the stiffness of those suites.

    I for myself think that if they really want to make exoskeleton that makes you stronger,faster and more robust we will end up having such suites like Space Marines, or we would go with compromises, that boosts only human capabilities by about 25-30% but is still light and not to thick, adding a bullet proof vest or some structure to protect vital parts of the upper torso, but leaving the lower torso less protected but therefor more space for movement. More an exoskeleton like the Xenomorphs have, torso real exoskeleton and the arms and lower torso normal endoskeloton, giving them high agility with good protection of vital organs. I would bet on that kind of exoskeleton that would be able to be enter military service and have a good impact on morality, combat effeciency, ordnance at battle, lower amount of casualities and more firepower, by wielding bigger calibre weapons.

    I would like to see such a version of an exoskeleton.

    Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 5390
    Points : 5639
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Werewolf on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm

    collegeboy16 wrote:

    Let's not kid ourselves though, in the near future such technology will still be science fiction and would only be feasible 20-30 years from now, and it's still way more likely that such technology revolutionizes tank armor and fighter plane air-frames than it would revolutionize body armor.
    20-30 years for nanosuit tech? thats too optimistic even if we're only talking about working prototypes. Not to mention a direct hit from an RPG and you are dead(the impact pressure turns both armor even as hard as diamond and jet into liquid mostly flowing towards your innards)[/quote]

    Diamonds would burn away like coal under temperature above 800° C. Diamonds are very hard against Kinetic Energy but quite poor protection against heat.

    GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 15468
    Points : 16175
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  GarryB on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:31 am

    I mean counter balancing systemes for rifles is how old by now?

    I have see Russian bullpup prototypes from before WWII.

    The balanced recoil systems are AK specific because the AK would benefit from them the most.

    the bolt carrier is 5-7 times heavier in an AK than the bolt itself so when it is slamming back and forth during firing that is a lot of mass and a lot of energy and when it is not balanced... well think of a helicopter with a single rotor blade sticking out one side of the rotor hub. Of course putting two blades opposite each other will help with balance but there is still vibration.

    the most benefit from balanced recoil mechanisms is in full auto fire which makes it rather more accurate.

    Remember Kalashnikov also makes balanced recoil weapons... the AK-107 for example which has been shown as part of Ratnik.

    Tested in early 1980s and is only now fieldtested for ratnik. RWS (Remote Weapon Stations), since use 1980 on some tanks are coming only now slowly as a "NEW" feature.

    Technically RWS are not new either... just off the top of my head the Marder APC had a RWS 30 cal MG mounted on its rear hull either in the 60s or 70s. And bomber aircraft have had them for ages.

    You could argue the holographic red dot sights are based on HUDs in fighter aircraft and gunsights used since WWII as well.

    By the time new technologies enter service they are actually already ancient in terms of modern warfare and technologies.

    I agree many technologies that get into service are not new... drone aircraft are as old as aircraft but never really became very popular till the late 1980s and 1990s.

    When they did get into service however and were proved to be useful they were copied and emulated till they were in wide spread service... you could argue the A-10 and Su-25 is just a revival of the Il-2 and Stuka concept of ground support aircraft... it lost favour with jet power, but eventually as aircraft got faster it created a niche for slow and low jet aircraft able to take a bit of damage and still do the job.


    20-30 years for nanosuit tech? thats too optimistic even if we're only talking about working prototypes. Not to mention a direct hit from an RPG and you are dead(the impact pressure turns both armor even as hard as diamond and jet into liquid mostly flowing towards your innards)

    I would suggest that if the only way to kill one of my soldiers is with an RPG or heavy anti tank weapon then you have your success. You have just made all conventional small arms obsolete and require anti armour level weapons to challenge your troops.



    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

    collegeboy16
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 1207
    Points : 1234
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  collegeboy16 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:38 pm

    Werewolf wrote:I used Crysis exoskeleton not as an example of actual exoskeleton we could have but as a comperision of todays mechanic/electric exoskeleton that have no other use but giving the carrier ability to carry about 100-150kg, but cripples his maneuverbility. You would not be able to take cover when you got under enemy fire, and going into squad position when your only cover would be even 10 cm lower you would be still exposed.

    I mean untill exoskeletons become to what people dream about, a structure that makes you stronger,faster and more robust that will take more like 50 years, something like that we should be prepared for. And this 50 years would only give the timespan to develope such technology, not counting the time we would need until we can see it in military use.

    Such technology on the low level we have right now is already so expensive that even Special forces would not won't or be capable to purchase such technology in sufficient number and we will only see that the Technology will become more expensive through a lot more components to comprimise the stiffness of those suites.

    I for myself think that if they really want to make exoskeleton that makes you stronger,faster and more robust we will end up having such suites like Space Marines, or we would go with compromises, that boosts only human capabilities by about 25-30% but is still light and not to thick, adding a bullet proof vest or some structure to protect vital parts of the upper torso, but leaving the lower torso less protected but therefor more space for movement. More an exoskeleton like the Xenomorphs have, torso real exoskeleton and the arms and lower torso normal endoskeloton, giving them high agility with good protection of vital organs. I would bet on that kind of exoskeleton that would be able to be enter military service and have a good impact on morality, combat effeciency, ordnance at battle, lower amount of casualities and more firepower, by wielding bigger calibre weapons.

    I would like to see such a version of an exoskeleton.
    afaik the crysis suit is not mechanical- more like it directly enhances human ability. kinda like it pumps adrenaline into your muscles while the frame supports most of the pressure that without the suit would rupture your muscles from the bones. there is also an onboard cognitive improvement AI.

    F-15E
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 94
    Join date : 2014-09-04

    US Congress Approves $585 Billion Defense Bill

    Post  F-15E on Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:44 pm

    The U.S. Congress has approved a gigantic defense policy bill.  

    The $585 billion National Defense Authorization Act  was overwhelmingly approved by the Senate Friday, a week after passing in the House of Representatives.

    It now awaits President Barack Obama's signature.

    The measure authorizes federal military spending for fiscal year 2015, which began on October 1.  

    It includes emergency funding requested by the president for military operations against Islamic jihadists in Iraq and Syria. The measure also authorizes funds for training moderate Syrian rebels and Iraqi Kurdish forces for two years.

    The bill includes money for basic U.S. military operations, ranging from a one percent pay raise for the troops to the purchase of ships, aircraft and other war-fighting equipment.

    The NDAA also mandates the retention of the fleet of A-10 close-air support aircraft.  The U.S. Air Force had proposed retiring more than 100 A-10s, but the NDAA prohibits that action in 2015.  

    Despite opposition from Mr. Obama, the bill extends restrictions on closing the US. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, renewing a ban on transferring detainees from Guantanamo to the United States.  

    http://www.voanews.com/content/us-congress-approves-defense-budget/2557635.html

    F-15E
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 103
    Points : 94
    Join date : 2014-09-04

    Omnibus Spending Bill Includes Money for 15 Growlers, 12th San Antonio

    Post  F-15E on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:30 pm

    cheers

    The $1.1 trillion omnibus spending bill from Congress includes $1.46 billion for 15 Boeing EA-18G Growler electronic attack aircraft and $1 billion to start work on a 12th San Antonio-class (LPD-17) amphibious warship, according to a summary of the bill released late Tuesday.
    The compromise bill agreed to by House and Senate appropriators and expected to pass both chambers will extend Boeing’s Super Hornet — the airframe on which the Growler is based — production line into 2017, according to Reuters.

    The Navy gave Congress an unfunded wish list that asked for 22 Growlers at a cost of $2.14 billion. With the extra airframes, the Navy intends to expand its EA-18G squadrons from five aircraft up to seven.

    The bill also gave the service $1 billion to start procurement on a 12th San Antonio-class amphibious warship — about half the total cost of the ship. The Marine Corps has been lobbying Congress and the Navy for the additional ship it says will act as a bridge to the next generation LX(R) amphibious warship which will be based on the San Antonio-hull.

    Line items in the bill also fully fund the planned procurement of the Ohio-class Replacement Program ballistic missile submarine, fully funds the Navy’s Unmanned Carrier-Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike (UCLASS) research and development efforts — despite restrictions in the parallel authorization bill — and includes $843 million to begin the refueling and complex overhaul of carrier USS George Washington (CVN-73).

    http://news.usni.org/2014/12/10/omnibus-spending-bill-includes-money-15-growlers-12th-san-antonio

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    US Armored Vechiles

    Post  George1 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:41 am

    US Army has made the final selection of the program Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle (AMPV), provides for the replacement of 2897 M113 tracked armored personnel carriers and vehicles based on them in armored brigades (Armored Brigade Combat Teams - ABCT). The choice can not be called a surprise, because it was made in favor of the sole remaining in the program AMPV offers - nominated by BAE Systems Corporation project tracked armored personnel carriers, which is a variant of M2 / M3 Bradley.

    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1110615.html

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  George1 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:14 am

    US Army Signs Contract to Upgrade Tactical Missiles: Defense Contractor

    Lockheed Martin said in a press release that the US Army awarded the defense contractor a $78 million contract to upgrade the surface-to-surface Army Tactical Missile System.

    WASHINGTON, January 8 (Sputnik) — The US Army awarded Lockheed Martin a $78 million contract to upgrade the surface-to-surface Army Tactical Missile System (ATACMS), the defense contractor announced Wednesday.

    “The program will take hardware from early-production ATACMS Block 1 missiles and develop an enhanced and affordable weapon system capable of eliminating targets without the risk of unexploded ordnance, which meets the U.S. Army’s long-range precision strike requirement,” Lockheed Martin said in a press release.

    The ATACMS is the US Army’s only tactical long-range precision surface-to-surface weapon with a range of up to 300 kilometers (185 miles). Lockheed Martin has produced more than 3,700 of the missiles over the past 20 years. Nearly 560 have been used in combat, including the Persian Gulf War and Iraq War. The ATACMS destroyed enemy airfields, surface-to-air systems, artillery and command centers.

    Lockheed Martin will test the upgrade before beginning production in early 2016, according to the press release.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  George1 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:36 pm

    The Ground Combat Vehicle program was cancelled in February 2014

    nemrod
    Major
    Major

    Posts : 806
    Points : 1309
    Join date : 2012-09-11

    AH-64 Apache crashed -?-

    Post  nemrod on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:18 pm


    http://presstv.com/Detail/2015/01/24/394544/US-Marines-killed-in-helicopter-crash

    It seems that an US military helicopter crashed-?- in a supposed Southern California area-?-. This crash would be under investigation. Is it true ? Is it false ? US propaganda used to lie regarding its losses in combat. Nowdays, many US US soldiers seem to be involved in Iraq, including US attack hellicopters. However, Isis, has many efficients -russian- anti aircrafts guns, and missiles. During US occupation of Iraq, US Army lost many AH-64 Apache, this forced US to clear off Iraq.
    US propaganda used to attribute its losses in combat operations by mysterious accident occured somewhere in the world, where noone could withness. For example during air war in 1991 against Iraq, iraqi pilot claimed to have damaged a B-52 with air to air missiles, however american's ridiculous statement claimed that a B-52 crashed in indian ocean du to electric problems. In the history of US air force, how much aircrafts losses were disguised into a so-called accidents. In the war, the best US -and their allies, chieffly Israel- weapons stays the lie. For that reason I often beware about US statements concerning an supposed accident in period of intensives combat operations.
    Maybe it is right, maybe it is false.

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9432
    Points : 9924
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  George1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:38 pm

    Boeing and US officials start working on AH-64 Apache attack helicopters massive deal

    Sponsored content

    Re: U.S. Army News:

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:08 pm


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 pm