Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

U.S. Army News:

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: U.S. Army News:

Post  George1 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:55 am

The end of the history of the helicopter AH-64 Apache?

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2191449.html

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:12 pm

First Stryker armored vehicle with a 30 mm cannon

According to US media reports, October 27, 2016 the US Army was officially handed over to General Dynamics Corporation manufactured the first prototype of the modernized machine the Stryker wheeled armored, equipped combat unit with a 30-mm automatic cannon. The transfer was made at the company General Dynamics Land Systems Maneuver Collaboration Center in Sterling Heights (Michigan).

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2215179.html

Zhukov-Patton
    Private
    Private

US tank defenses

Post  Zhukov-Patton on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:02 am

Saw this article today, I am curious as to what other people might think on the matter
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-us-armys-radical-idea-save-its-tanks-enemy-missiles-18694

AlfaT8
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  AlfaT8 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Zhukov-Patton wrote:Saw this article today, I am curious as to what other people might think on the matter
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-us-armys-radical-idea-save-its-tanks-enemy-missiles-18694

Sounds dumb, i get the idea, have extra armor that can be moved to targeted areas of the tank to improved it's survival, problem is, will that same extra armor be usable later and if not you're still gonna need more armor when the adversary targets other parts of the tank, it would make more sense to just make sure that "extra" armor's added to the entire tank, in short this won't resolve any weight or size problem (unless some mad scientist made an actual working force field), IMO.

What happened to that "Electromagnetic Reactive Armour" they were working on, to expensive? Suspect

And their excuse for not simply using an APS sounds like crap, they just want something they can call their own, and then say they're better than everyone else, not sure whether this can be called a superiority complex.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Zhukov-Patton wrote:Saw this article today, I am curious as to what other people might think on the matter

"One interesting wrinkle is that the Army proposal explicitly prohibits any solution that is an active protection system. That means the Army wants to avoid anything like Israel's Trophy gear, which shoots down incoming rockets with a shotgun blast of projectiles. The Army suggests one reason for this stipulation when it calls for moveable armor that “shall not pose harm to dismounted personnel.” - Right, meanwhile using SABOT is totally fine, it can just cut your head off if you are in front or on the side of the tank. Even saw it landing behind the tank.

Idea itself about the "active-lego" armor is okay, however it wont become a thing for a while. That would require very complicated threat detection system, shitload of small components that would move armor modules etc... would end up being very complicated.

JohninMK
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  JohninMK on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 pm

Militarov wrote:

Idea itself about the "active-lego" armor is okay, however it wont become a thing for a while. That would require very complicated threat detection system, shitload of small components that would move armor modules etc... would end up being very complicated.

Call me a cynic but that sounds perfect for the US MIC. Lots of R&D and way down the line, production, profits.

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:18 pm

JohninMK wrote:
    Militarov wrote:

Call me a cynic but that sounds perfect for the US MIC. Lots of R&D and way down the line, production, profits.

Well, see how i look at it, money spent on R&D is never wasted. Even if you do not get the goal you intended you might use parts of that research for other things and projects, maybe even make civilian/industrial applications etc. However... this thing i am not sure about, mainly because as you said "down the line" will probably be "dooooooowwwn the line", in like 20 years.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:42 am

I think you underestimate the ability to waste taxpayers money...

I remember in the 1980s a US Army contract regarding head wounds.

They gave a US university a contract for 1 million dollars to do a series of tests... they took 200 cats and shot them in the head and then tried to keep them alive with various life support machines.

The findings were that brain injury often leads to a condition where the patient can only be kept alive with life support machines.

Money well spent I say.

Next they were going to spend 6 million dollars doing a follow up experiment with 200 dogs getting shot in the head...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Militarov on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:19 pm

GarryB wrote:I think you underestimate the ability to waste taxpayers money...

I remember in the 1980s a US Army contract regarding head wounds.

They gave a US university a contract for 1 million dollars to do a series of tests... they took 200 cats and shot them in the head and then tried to keep them alive with various life support machines.

The findings were that brain injury often leads to a condition where the patient can only be kept alive with life support machines.

Money well spent I say.

Next they were going to spend 6 million dollars doing a follow up experiment with 200 dogs getting shot in the head...

Well, see. That testing (i never heard of that one tho i must say) probably led to many improvements in life support equipment threatment. I mean, if in WW2 armies did not invest so much in battlefield poison gases we wouldnt have good antidotes today either and alot of protective equipment that we use in industry today. I mean, there is always some good return, even in horrid investments.

GarryB
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  GarryB on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:36 am

Yeah.. that is what they say to get funding... they don't know what they might learn until the experiment is over. The problem is that the Universities don't care what they research, they just want something to research... that is what they do.

I rather doubt anything they learned from either study furthered the science of keeping bodies alive.... that is fairly straightforward... the purpose was to determine recovery from traumatic brain injury and the answer was no.

Those researchers might go on to cure cancer but in these experiments the actual value of the money spent was zero... that is why I read about the case... it was part of a study on waste within the military where the military had money it needed to spend or it would not get the same money next year, and the university just wanted a research fund... they didn't care about whether the results were useful or not. A list of cases regarding wasted spending within the army. I am sure it would dwarf the encyclopaedia Britannica in size... Of course why should any branch of government be any different...

Actually I remember Bill Gunston talking in an article about the misuse of Top Secret status. He mentioned a missile prototype he and others were working on for the British MOD. Every test the thing flew up its ramp and then exploded. No Telemetry the whole thing was destroyed. After several exploded with no information about what was the problem the programme was quietly closed and everyone had to sign to not divulge anything... each test was eye wateringly expensive... there were no secrets to leak except how much taxpayers money was being wasted with no return.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:45 pm

BAE Systems Presents First AMPV Prototype to US Army

The AMPV is based on designs for the Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle and M109A7 Self-Propelled Howitzer.

George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  George1 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm

The US Army will replace the pistols Beretta M9 with Sig Sauer P320

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/2389560.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 am