Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
d_taddei2
TMA1
Arrow
ALAMO
Atmosphere
Finty
Kiko
Backman
lancelot
owais.usmani
lyle6
Hole
thegopnik
Cyberspec
The-thing-next-door
dino00
Isos
nero
MiamiMachineShop
Walther von Oldenburg
LMFS
PhSt
ATLASCUB
Anonymous Fighter
moskit
miketheterrible
FichtL_WichtL
GarryB
nomadski
Godric
George1
KiloGolf
Airman
KoTeMoRe
Grazneyar
JohninMK
PapaDragon
AlfaT8
jka
max steel
Book.
AirCargo
Zhukov-Patton
OminousSpudd
Manov
VladimirSahin
Kyo
Battalion0415
medo
kvs
higurashihougi
Mike E
sepheronx
BlackArrow
Werewolf
KomissarBojanchev
collegeboy16
Hannibal Barca
Airbornewolf
SOC
TR1
magnumcromagnon
flamming_python
zino
NationalRus
As Sa'iqa
Regular
BTRfan
gaurav
Viktor
nemrod
Corrosion
ahmedfire
Admin
IronsightSniper
Austin
nightcrawler
Russian Patriot
Vladislav
Turk1
84 posters

F-35 Development and News Thread:

nemrod
    nemrod

F-35 Development and News Thread: - Page 5 Empty Re: F-35 Development and News Thread:

Post  nemrod Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm

I could not leave you without this other nugget:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/06/canadas-multi-billion-dollar-f-35s-are-irrelevant-without-the-u-s-only-f-22-as-support-american-general-says/

And now, what about if the SU-35, and Mig-35 could down F-22 -and they can-? lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

It proves another time that the F-35 it is a scam, US want to tie their allies to them. US can access to every sensible informations, meanwhile the other allies could not. Indeed, they could not access -except Israel- to most strategic informations inside the F-35. They could not operate it without US.
    I think, I am going to be more and more enthousiast about this fighter : lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/03/06/canadas-multi-billion-dollar-f-35s-are-irrelevant-without-the-u-s-only-f-22-as-support-american-general-says/

Canada’s multi-billion dollar F-35s ‘irrelevant’ without U.S.-only F-22 as support, American general says

David Pugliese, Ottawa Citizen, Postmedia News | March 6, 2014 | Last Updated: Mar 6 5:35 PM ET
    More from Postmedia News
    his undated handout image obtained on April 22, 2009 courtesy of the Joint Strike Fighter program site, shows the F-35 JSF.
    AFP PHOTO / JSF-Hand-Outhis undated handout image obtained on April 22, 2009 courtesy of the Joint Strike Fighter program site, shows the F-35 JSF.

New questions are being raised about whether the F-35 stealth fighter is the right aircraft for Canada after a U.S. general acknowledged the jet is limited in what it can do and needs to be accompanied on its missions by another multi-million-dollar aircraft.

The issue for Canada and other potential F-35 buyers is that the other aircraft referred to by the general – the F-22 – isn’t available for foreign sales because of its sophisticated technology.

Gen. Michael Hostage, head of air combat command in the U.S., said the F-35 is critical for the future of that country’s air force. But in an interview with the Air Force Times, published in February, Hostage pointed out the F-35 needs to work hand-in-hand with the F-22.

“The F-35 is not built as an air superiority platform,” Hostage said. “It needs the F-22.”
    What is the F-22?

The F-22 Raptor is a single-seat fighter jet made by Lockheed Martin, which also makes the F-35.
    Lockheed Martin calls its F-22 the world’s most advanced fighter. The U.S. has banned foreign sales of the Raptor.
    The F-22 is the only fighter capable of simultaneously conducting air-to-air and air-to-ground combat missions with near impunity, according to Lockheed.
    The final F-22 Raptor was delivered to the U.S. Air Force in May 2012. It is no longer in production.

The U.S. Air Force is upgrading the F-22, which officers see as essential. Without the upgraded F-22s, “the F-35 fleet frankly will be irrelevant,” Hostage said.

The comments have sparked heated debate in aerospace and defence circles, and analyst Martin Shadwick says Hostage’s statements are bound to raise eyebrows in Canada. “I’m sure you won’t see the general’s comments in any F-35 marketing literature,” said Shadwick, a York University professor. “Canada needs a multi-role fighter and even if the F-22 were available we couldn’t afford another aircraft to fly top cover for the F-35s.”

Senior Royal Canadian Air Force officers have acknowledged they are keen to see the F-35 in Canada.

But in 2012, the Conservative government put a temporary halt to its purchase of the F-35 and appointed a group of senior officials to examine options for the replacement of the country’s CF-18 fighter jets.

That process is still under way. Public Works and Government Services can’t say when it will be completed.
    Related

Richard Shimooka: Stick with the F-35
    John Ivison: Report fires at aimless Canadian military ruled by balance sheets not foreign policy
    Lockheed Martin plans 4,000 job cuts as U.S. spending declines

Hostage’s comments echo earlier concerns by critics that the F-35 is mainly designed to strike at ground targets and is not well suited for aerial combat and interceptions.

But Mike Barton, a spokesman for Lockheed Martin Canada, said the F-35 meets all Canada’s needs. The general’s comments are a reflection of how the U.S. Air Force operates and are not relevant to Canada, he added.

Barton said Lockheed Martin has not seen any adverse reaction to Hostage’s comments from the Canadian government or any other nation interested in purchasing the F-35. “We’ve heard nothing about it impacting foreign interest,” Barton said.

The F-35 stealth fighter had become a major political headache for the Conservative government, which made it a lynchpin of their defence policy.

The controversy surrounding the F-35 purchase has centred on technical and cost issues, as well as the acquisition process. The Department of National Defence originally claimed the project would cost around $14.7 billion but then-Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page put that price tag at around $29 billion.

Auditor General Michael Ferguson also issued a report concluding that DND officials withheld key information from Parliament about the jet purchase, underestimated costs, and didn’t follow proper procurement rules.

Still, the F-35 has had strong support in government. Prime Minister Stephen Harper has labelled the jet a good deal for Canada.

dpugliese@ottawacitizen.com

Twitter.com/davidpugliese

Mike E
    Mike E

F-35 Development and News Thread: - Page 5 Empty Re: F-35 Development and News Thread:

Post  Mike E Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am

I doubt they would, and they are pretty darn far into the boondoggle known as the F-35. - Lockheed owns the Senate and Congress itself, there is no way...
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:07 am

F35 is a huge debacle but apart from the huge commitment there is an other problem as well. Nobody guarantees that a possible replacement would be a better plane. For example look to the main contender from Boeing. With the pace USA aerospace industry declines a bad plane from the late 90s like the F35 might be better than the best plane they can come up with in 2014

Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:F35 is a huge debacle but apart from the huge commitment there is an other problem as well. Nobody guarantees that a possible replacement would be a better plane. For example look to the main contender  from Boeing. With the pace USA aerospace industry declines a bad plane from the late 90s like the F35 might be better than the best plane they can come up with in 2014

US best plane is still the F-15.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 am

Agree... but you obviously need to try to create something new AFTER FORTY YEARS!!!
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

Hannibal Barca wrote:Agree... but you obviously need to try to create something new AFTER FORTY YEARS!!!

By giving a crappy company like Lockheed Martin to do the job?

I mean Lockheet Martin who created the F-104 Starfighter, or Widow maker, Comet, Mayfly and all the other nicknames it got because it is a crappy jet that we lost in germany alone over 300 from 900 jets without any enemy engagement, to make the new jet?

Lockheet Martin company was almost banned in Germany, at least there were talks to ban any Lockheet Martin products for the Luftwaffe, but that was shut down since Germany is just a colony of the US.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:27 am

But Northrop didn't even show up after the debacle they suffered in the previous competition... and she also shows the very same deficiencies Lockheed suffer from like schedule delays, overcosts, endless bugs, over ambitiousness, anti-robustness, practicality deficiencies, maintenance deficiencies etc. They are even worse in production rates (the only thing Lockheed is good at) but at least they are better designers and developers.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:53 am

Werewolf wrote:
    Hannibal Barca wrote:Agree... but you obviously need to try to create something new AFTER FORTY YEARS!!!

By giving a crappy company like Lockheed Martin to do the job?

I mean Lockheet Martin who created the F-104 Starfighter, or Widow maker, Comet, Mayfly and all the other nicknames it got because it is a crappy jet that we lost in germany alone over 300 from 900 jets without any enemy engagement, to make the new jet?

Lockheet Martin company was almost banned in Germany, at least there were talks to ban any Lockheet Martin products for the Luftwaffe, but that was shut down since Germany is just a colony of the US.

They didn't "give" Lockheed the OK, Lockheed bought the OK! - Look at how they won the F-22 program, now the F-35 etc... They own Congress!

Kelly J. was great, but even he had bad programs. After him Lockheed went down the crapper (in terms of aircraft "greatness").

Bummer they weren't... Twisted Evil
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:35 am

If i had decision over making for USa new aircraft i would give it to Lockheed Martin, great way do let an AirForce die, especially with plans to kick out F-15/16/18 and A-10 and exchange those good jets with a turkey that is horrible at everything the F-35.

So i'm happy with this decision.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 am

@Hannibal Barca: As far as I know the problem of US military industry is NOT the technology, but the way people use them.

Many kinds of US weapon express a clear technological superiority but many of these superiority are unneccessary and they created more problems than benefits. For example the disaster named M16 first generation and another disaster named F-35.

Correct me if I am wrong but for me a basic design actually have a considerable rooms for improvement, with this in mind the current F-teens are still capable for general roles and can more or less keep the pace quite well if intensively modernized.

US next 5th gen fighter should have been an upgraded version of the F-22 and should belong to the elite forces or using for special missions.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:03 am

higurashihougi wrote:@Hannibal Barca: As far as I know the problem of US military industry is NOT the technology, but the way people use them.

Many kinds of US weapon express a clear technological superiority but many of these superiority are unneccessary and they created more problems than benefits. For example the disaster named M16 first generation and another disaster named F-35.

Correct me if I am wrong but for me a basic design actually have a considerable rooms for improvement, with this in mind the current F-teens are still capable for general roles and can more or less keep the pace quite well if intensively modernized.

US next 5th gen fighter should have been an upgraded version of the F-22 and should belong to the elite forces or using for special missions.

The problem "of the US military industry" is their military industrial complex... They own both parties, never mind the army itself, so they can get away with overcharging subpar products.

That doesn't really make sense... I get what your trying to say, but technological advantages don't equal a better product, more so when the product doesn't work well.

Legacy fighters on both sides are still capable, however, only the upgraded ones and well maintained ones are still useful for confronting modern aircraft.

Even the F-22 wasn't all smilies...
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:16 pm

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/americas-f-35-coming-crash-landing-11332

Here we go! Even their own propaganda is revving up the "cancellation" debate!
    Airbornewolf
    Airbornewolf

Post  Airbornewolf Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Mike E wrote:

The problem "of the US military industry" is their military industrial complex... They own both parties, never mind the army itself, so they can get away with overcharging subpar products.

no shit, and not just the U.S industry.

"we" dutchies got sold for example the GILL-missile system. it was sold as some "holy grail" accurate AT-missile system. and yes....it did peformed nice in controlled enviroments in europe . but as soon we tried it to blow up an standard shipping container in Afghanistan in the middle of the day the damn missile could not distinguish the container from the surrounding terrain because the terrain and container where "hotter than design parameters". the missile struck about 100 meters next to target.

so...they sold us a missile system that does not work in the desert during the day.... meanwhile,....Taliban RPG-7 works fine in the desert you know? Razz. it would have been Nice to have the Gill for surgical strikes on Structures without calling in the Americans to blow said target into an low-orbit around the planet Earth together with surrounding structures by "excessive" force.

but...it took two modification projects to make the Gill suitable for desert environments. great buy!!

Same goes for JDAM. often its described as some super-accurate weapon but the things malfuntion and end up off target just as much as they strike. JDAM is nothing more than equipping a "dumb freefal bomb" with an guidance package and attaching steerable fins that guide it to an GPS position. and ...while you drive you car you do not notice it much. but solar radiation from the sun in fact does have a big impact on sattelite communications. including bombs using GPS,...and i have not even mentioned icing on the bombs steeringfins because of bad weather or the weapon simply does not "engage" after weapon release.
    only the Paveway's i got faith in, the pilot's do not release the weapon unless the bomb runs its arming/guidance test and acquires the laser beam on target.

the F-35 is the next lemon in a line of western weapon systems. ive stood countless times shaking my head looking at "new" weapons that not even functioned in training excercises. like the Fennek vehicle equipped with Stinger missiles. looks "tacticool" but you know what?. they need to raise an antenna next to the vehicle or they cant engage aircraft because of the "fire control" network. i do not know about you guys, but i think "devolution" is taking place here.... the good old days even some afghan farmer could pick up a stinger and with a few tips shot down aircraft.

nothing against the Russians, but just to illustrate the ease-of use of an weapon....

... in my politically-impossible political judgement. we should purchase the SU-35 multirole fighter or in the least go for an european proven fighter-bomber and just drop this F-35 nightmare.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Airbornewolf, you can ask germany how well our Euro Hawks work, we will tell you when they start to fly...we are working on it 3 years and counting.
    Hannibal Barca
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Thank you guys great insights!
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:02 am

Mike E wrote:http://nationalinterest.org/feature/americas-f-35-coming-crash-landing-11332

Here we go! Even their own propaganda is revving up the "cancellation" debate!

This project is "too big to fail". It is unlikely for the U.S. to cancel it.

What the DoD will do is probably spent billons of USD to fix the 1001 flaws in the design, although building a new model will be much more cost-effective.

Sometime people want to have a Pyrrhic victory just for the sake of saving face. Even though the next battle will be a crushing defeat.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:28 am

the problem for the F-35 is that the makers have been promising it will be everything to everyone.

What they actually needed was a cheap simple plane with modest range and payload, was hard to spot from some angles and could take off from land an sea.

What they needed to build was a modern Buccaneer.

For all its imperfections during the height of the cold war the Bucc was as fast as any other aircraft with ordinance under its wings... ie high subsonic, it had more range than an F-16, it could take off and land on carriers, it was relatively small and cheap, but could deliver nuclear weapons deep into enemy territory and fly back home.

Instead they have tried to make the small light cheap fighter more expensive than the big heavy fighter.

The single VSTOL version has corrupted the design of all three or four versions they have now and so it is never going to be as simple and as cheap as a stealthy F-16 could have been.

It has been a case of lets add these features and replace the A-10, and these features and replace the Harrier, and these features and replace the Tornado IDS and these features and replace the Tornado ground attack version...

they lost sight of the original role and the result has to be crap.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:29 am

The word corruption is relevant to this discussion. The F-35 project is a corrupt enterprise designed to milk taxpayers for money. Can you hear the violin music in the background when they talk about delays? Serious cost overruns and delays are the hallmark of corruption. Visit a 3rd world country and check out the infrastructure projects. They built the pyramids faster back in the day.

Here in Canada our dear leader Harper has signed up $25 billion for these jets. It will probably be $35 billion by the time Canada gets them. Canada needs a good interceptor and not some short range 3rd world regime change tool.
    Viktor
    Viktor

Post  Viktor Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Nice thumbsup

Here's Another Sign Of How Astronomically Expensive The F-35 Is
    nemrod
    nemrod

Post  nemrod Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Is the JSF not a sitting duck ?
    http://in.rbth.com/blogs/2014/10/12/why_the_f-35_is_a_sitting_duck_for_the_flankers_38959.html

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:18 am

Against third world countries it will be fine... but then so would upgraded existing aircraft already doing the job much more cheaply.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 am

In nemrod's article, there is a comment of a man named Michael Lemuel Dizon. He disagreed with the article and he claimed that F-35 is a good fighter.

Basically he described about the stealth capability of the F-35, the avionics and sensors, he said that compared to F-16 the F-35 had better wingload, weapon loads, and is designed to have the same maneuverability as the F-teen.

He concluded F-35 is a great fighter and Sukhoi cannot matchs it.

This is his full comment.

My friends, I would like to ask what do you think about his comment ?

Michael Lemuel Dizon wrote:Lets discuss the F-35's strengths in A-A combat.

The F-35 is not the best fighter in the world, but it offers a lot of advantages against other aircraft.

1. Low observability (stealth) : the aircraft is very difficult to detect in 3 ways:

1A.
    Radar: the aircraft has a very low radar signature against most types of radars.

Some critics will argue that low frequency (LF) radars like those created in the 1940s or 50s can detect stealth. This is actually true, however, LF radars are also very inaccurate.

They may alert you of the presence of stealth aircraft, but not exactly where, the speed, heading etc. not enough info to target the aircraft.

LF radars are also confused by many things like, clouds, dust, smoke, birds, insects, all of these things will look like a target for LF radars.

They are also ridiculously easy to jam, even by 1960 era jammers. imagine what the F-35's
    AN/ASQ-239 advanced Barracuda jammer would do to it.

1B.
    Infrared: the F-35 has an advanced thermal management system that circulates fuel around the aircraft to reduce it's thermal signature. the heat is absorbed by the fuel, not enough to ignite the fuel but enough to make IR countermeasures like flares more effective.

The F-35s engine nozzle may look more conventional than the F-22s flat thrust vectoring nozzle, but it is actually a product of the LOAN (low observable asymmetric nozzle) program, which reduces both radar and heat signatures.

1C.
    Electronic emissions: Radar waves emitted by an aircraft can be detected by passive radar receivers.
    However the F-35's APG-81 AESA radar changes frequencies thousands of times every second making it very difficult for Passive receivers to track it down, this is called LPI capability or Low probability of intercept.

2. Advanced Sensors/Fusion

The F-35 has some of the World's most advanced sensors
    APG-81: a powerful AESA radar that is so advanced it can actually take a picture using nothing more than radar waves. This is called SAR mode.

AAQ-40 EOTS: an advanced optical camera that can zoom, identify and guide weapons to a target.

AAQ-37 DAS: 6 infra red cameras positioned around the aircraft that builds a 360 degree video of the aircraft then feeds it to the pilot's helmet. If the pilot looks down, he will not see the floor of the aircraft, he will see what the DAS camera located on the belly sees. If he looks behind, he will not see the back of his seat, he will see what the DAS camera behind the aircraft sees.

Fusion: 4th gen fighters had a different monitor for their radar, a different one for their passive radar receiver, and a different one for the Infrared sensor. Some targets can be seen by the IR sensor, but cant be seen by the radar, some targets can be detected by the radar, but can't be seen by the IR sensor. the pilot had to figure out which was which and draw a conclusion.

The F-35's sensor fusion engine does this all for him. The pilot simply looks at his screen and sees what target is out there. It doesn't matter which sensor is detecting what, all of them are located in one screen.

3. Aerodynamic agility/speed:

A lot of people think that the F-35 is not maneuverable because it was not meant to be. This not true.

The requirement for the JSF program was to build a fighter that matched the F-16 and F/A-18s maneuvering abilities.

The F-16 is the best American 4th gen in terms of acceleration and high Sustained G capabilities.

To match this the F-35 had to have wing loading properties similar to the F-16. The F-16(block 50) weighs 18,900 lbs when empty and has a 300 foot wing. the F-35A weighs 29,300 lbs. and has a 460 foot wing.

The wing loading of both aircraft when empty sits at approximately 63 lbs / sq feet. Basically the same.

The F-35 has the advantage of being less weight sensitive also. Adding 4 AMRAAMs will add 7% to the F-16s empty weight, but only 4.5% to the F-35s.

In combat you will see what the F-35 brings to the fight

Typical Air-Air load.

F-16C (block 50)
    Empty: 18,900 lbs
    Load: 8,000 lbs (6,000lbs of fuel + 6 missiles)
    Combat Weight: 26,900 lbs
    Wing Area: 300 feet
    Thrust: 28,600 lbs

Wing loading: 89.66 lbs / square feet
    Thrust-to-weight ratio: 1.06

F-35A
    Empty: 29,300 lbs
    Load: 11,000 lbs (9,000lbs of fuel + 6 missiles)
    Combat Weight: 40,300 lbs
    Wing Area: 460 feet
    Thrust: 43,000 lbs

Wing loading: 87.60 lbs / square feet
    Thrust-to-weight ratio: 1.06

Even when loaded with 50% more fuel than the F-16, the F-35's wing loading is still better.
    Its thrust to weight ratio is identical to the Block 50's.

Furthermore it will not have any of the F-16's parasitic drag due to external weapons carriage.

another measure of agility is an aircrafts capability to execute high Angle of attack maneuvers, to point the nose away from the aircraft's flight path vector (direction of where it is actually going).

This is the F/A-18's greatest kinematic strength. And it is what the Hornet is known and feared for in air-air combat.

The F-35 will also enjoy High AOA abilities. Its flight control surface AOA limit is 50 degrees and has been tested to 73 degrees with ease, most fighters are limited to around 25 degrees AOA.

It is important to note that F-16s and F/A-18s are still regarded as one of the best dogfighting aircraft in the World and still able to hold their own against the likes of Typhoons, Rafales, Flankers and even Raptors

Conclusion: the F-35 will still enjoy tremendous agility and acceleration, other planes might be able to offer better agility, but it will be marginal, as human pilots can only go up to a little over 9Gs. the F-35 can go beyond that. so it doesn't matter if your airplane can go 15Gs because no pilot will find that useful anyway.

The F-35 brings more to the table than just agility, it will bring a lot of situational awareness while at the same time, robbing enemies of the awareness they so desperately need.
    Mike E
    Mike E

Post  Mike E Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 am

1A. Low-frequency radars are easy to jam? Even if they were, modern techniques like band-hopping can prevent jamming for the most part. I never heard that before, anyone know more on that subject? 

1B. The guy must be kidding himself... LOAN nozzles can help, but I doubt it will make a significant difference when the engine is pumping out 30,000 lbf+. The heat that the nozzle itself gets heated to would be like an explosive to an IRST system... Internal temperature systems would help as well, but once again, it wouldn't be significant enough to really make a big difference. If anything, moving the heat throughout the surface would make the target easier to track after it is found, as more heat will be forward of the engine (assuming a head-on scenario).

3. How did he find that figure? On a typical mission scenario (weight), the F-16's WL (which doesn't even have a low wing-loading) should still be lower than the F-35's. I know I did the math somewhere, I'll have to got and find it.

The F-16 isn't the best comparo anyways, compare it to something like a MiG etc. Also, he fails to mention that the F-35 has a rather low thrust/weight ratio, doesn't have thrust-vectoring in any direction, and (to be honest) isn't even a very aerodynamic design! Compare it to something like the YF-25 and you'll see what I mean.
    medo
    medo

Post  medo Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:22 am

First, I'm sure F-35 could not jam any VHF or HF radar as they have metric wave lenght and they are usually jammed with large stand off jammers build in big transport planes. Jammer in F-35 is effective against X-band radars. Usually those big radars cover very long ranges and in direction of F-35 route will not be only one radar, but more of them, let say around 100 miles from the front radar on the sides. Even if those VHF radars detect only a vector of F-35, 3 radars could very precisely triangulate its position, so IADS will know exact position of F-35. The same is true for jamming. Jamming signal also give vector and 3 radars triangulate exact position of jammer, so you could still send fighters or use SAMs against it.

F-22 and F-35 are very hot planes, so IRST could detect them as any other plane. Don't forget for VOPs in IADS, they will detect and track stealth planes in the same way.

Su-30SM and Su-35 also have sensor fusion and Su-35 have similar system to DAS and data link between planes and with IADS. F-35 doesn't have much of advance here. They could get all needed info about F-35 from IADS and get close enough to pick it up on IRST and no radar needed. On longer distance, they could engage F-35 with IR version of R-77 or R-27 missile, if ARH version could not lock on stealth planes. Their jammers could also negate any AMRAAM attack from F-35. So at the end they will come to dogfight, specially as F-35 is not fast enough to escape from flankers.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:19 am

Radar: the aircraft has a very low radar signature against most types of radars.

Most radars in service around the world?

Yes.

Most of the brand new radars entering service in Russia and being fitted to the new fighter aircraft.

No.

Misleading.

Some critics will argue that low frequency (LF) radars like those created in the 1940s or 50s can detect stealth. This is actually true, however, LF radars are also very inaccurate.

The new radars entering Russian service that use low frequency don't have the accuracy problems of the radars from the 1940s and 1950s.

They may alert you of the presence of stealth aircraft, but not exactly where, the speed, heading etc. not enough info to target the aircraft.

new systems already in service can be sited with S-400 and can detect and track stealth targets with the accuracy to get the missiles close enough to the targets for their radars to get a lock.

LF radars are also confused by many things like, clouds, dust, smoke, birds, insects, all of these things will look like a target for LF radars.

Not many of those things flying at over 600km/h....

They are also ridiculously easy to jam, even by 1960 era jammers. imagine what the F-35's
    AN/ASQ-239 advanced Barracuda jammer would do to it.

And what does using an active jammer do to your level of stealth?

Infrared: the F-35 has an advanced thermal management system that circulates fuel around the aircraft to reduce it's thermal signature. the heat is absorbed by the fuel, not enough to ignite the fuel but enough to make IR countermeasures like flares more effective.

Flares are ineffective against IIR seeking missiles like the new Morfei and upgraded R-73.

IIR seekers don't need hot targets and can target cold parts of the aircraft... including the canopy.

The F-35s engine nozzle may look more conventional than the F-22s flat thrust vectoring nozzle, but it is actually a product of the LOAN (low observable asymmetric nozzle) program, which reduces both radar and heat signatures.

Reduces is nice, but eliminates is necessary for stealth aircraft.

However the F-35's APG-81 AESA radar changes frequencies thousands of times every second making it very difficult for Passive receivers to track it down, this is called LPI capability or Low probability of intercept.

Broad band receivers that can monitor a wide range of frequencies at one time can detect a single point source emitting over a wide, random range of frequencies... and especially when on an X band radar the source seems to come from open empty space, such information becomes worth examining by L band radar and IRST.

The F-35 has some of the World's most advanced sensors
    APG-81: a powerful AESA radar that is so advanced it can actually take a picture using nothing more than radar waves. This is called SAR mode.

AAQ-40 EOTS: an advanced optical camera that can zoom, identify and guide weapons to a target.

AAQ-37 DAS: 6 infra red cameras positioned around the aircraft that builds a 360 degree video of the aircraft then feeds it to the pilot's helmet. If the pilot looks down, he will not see the floor of the aircraft, he will see what the DAS camera located on the belly sees. If he looks behind, he will not see the back of his seat, he will see what the DAS camera behind the aircraft sees.

Synthetic Apature Radar mode is not new, and is commonly used for ground mapping.

MiG-35 will have all three systems mentioned above, and Su-35 will likely get an AESA radar soon enough.

Fusion: 4th gen fighters had a different monitor for their radar, a different one for their passive radar receiver, and a different one for the Infrared sensor. Some targets can be seen by the IR sensor, but cant be seen by the radar, some targets can be detected by the radar, but can't be seen by the IR sensor. the pilot had to figure out which was which and draw a conclusion.

The F-35's sensor fusion engine does this all for him. The pilot simply looks at his screen and sees what target is out there. It doesn't matter which sensor is detecting what, all of them are located in one screen.

1980s MiG-29 and Su-27 had fully integrated helmet mounted sight, IRST, and radar. The target detected by Radar or IRST appeared on the screen as a target no matter how it was detected.

On the MiG-23 target information was displayed in the HUD, with IRST and radar information combined.

Sensor fusion is not new.

Even when loaded with 50% more fuel than the F-16, the F-35's wing loading is still better.
    Its thrust to weight ratio is identical to the Block 50's.

Late model F-16s are criticised for being a bit sluggish as weight was added but thrust was not increased.

This is the F/A-18's greatest kinematic strength. And it is what the Hornet is known and feared for in air-air combat.

Hornet known and feared? Really?

The F-35 will also enjoy High AOA abilities. Its flight control surface AOA limit is 50 degrees and has been tested to 73 degrees with ease, most fighters are limited to around 25 degrees AOA.

Thrust vector control on Su-35 and MiG-35 means no AOA limit.

It is important to note that F-16s and F/A-18s are still regarded as one of the best dogfighting aircraft in the World and still able to hold their own against the likes of Typhoons, Rafales, Flankers and even Raptors

Rubbish. A Flanker with full thrust vector control would kick the ass of any of the other aircraft listed.

Conclusion: the F-35 will still enjoy tremendous agility and acceleration, other planes might be able to offer better agility, but it will be marginal, as human pilots can only go up to a little over 9Gs. the F-35 can go beyond that. so it doesn't matter if your airplane can go 15Gs because no pilot will find that useful anyway.

At lower combat speeds the ability to turn starts to become critical because at low speeds the amount of air flowing over the control surfaces limits the rate of turn of any aircraft not fitted with TVC... and more importantly the risk of stalling suddenly becomes a real possiblity for any aircraft that does not have TVC.

specially as F-35 is not fast enough to escape from flankers.

Not only not fast enough to escape, but lacking the legs to keep running long.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am