Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Tu-22M3: News

Tsavo Lion

Re: Tu-22M3: News

Post  Tsavo Lion on Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:35 am

Look at pics of both cockpits I posted earlier, they look identical, from different angles.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:14 am

I think that the reason is different: Tu-22s are to fight fleet both defending homeland and "clesring the way" for Tu-160 going for US mainland.

The Tu-22 and Tu-22M were theatre bombers/long range strike aircraft, they were never intended for strategic missions like the Bear or Blackjack.

The Blackjack would not need its way cleared... ICBMs and SLBMs would have hit every airfield and major SAM site and radar facility between Russia and the Blackjack targets within an hour of WWIII starting... those blackjacks and bears would still be in Russian airspace by then.

They have similar planform, landing gear, nose & tail.

So, M1 garand, M14 rifle, M16 rifle... is the M16 derived from the M1?

Looks different, made of all different parts, does the same job. Probably all manufactured in the same factories.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am

Look at pics of both cockpits I posted earlier, they look identical, from different angles.

Funny guy... cockpits were standardised in the soviet union... if you got photos of the Tu-22 cockpit, the Tu-22M cockpit, the Yak-26 cockpit, the Tu-128 cockpit, and the MiG-27 cockpit they would look the same too.
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 am

Between them, they all have more differences than similarities:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Yak-26+cockpit&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK9fCUz4zdAhUWIzQIHWaJAj0QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=727&bih=381

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tu-128+cockpit&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjau4uXz4zdAhV_IjQIHWPdCt8QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=727&bih=381

https://www.google.com/search?q=MiG-27+cockpit&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYu_Kbz4zdAhWUMX0KHbWZAN0QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=727&bih=381

I'm an expert shooter of the M-16 rifle, but sadly not an expert on it & firearms in general. U r sidestepping the issue/argument by switching to poor analogies & comparing apples with oranges.
    The TU-22M is not that radical departure from the TU-22; the TU-160 is.

hoom

Post  hoom on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:21 am

Since you pointed it out, I looked at those again.
    Tu-22 hasn't got side by side seating -> the pic you labelled as Tu-22 is actually a Tu-22M cockpit.

This is Tu-22 cockpit

rear-seat (or the guy below & ahead of pilot?)

Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks, they improved & rearranged it for the TU-22M:

But still, to create the Backfire, the Blinder had to be designed & used 1st.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:29 am

I'm an expert shooter of the M-16 rifle, but sadly not an expert on it & firearms in general.

I own and shoot an M4 carbine... I am told it has an enormous range of accessories that I can buy to make it a super gun, but my local gun shops don't carry any of these things and when I find them on the internet they are often more expensive than just buying a new gun.

It is accurate, but fragile...

Nice long range rabbit gun but I would not trust the round for anything bigger.

The TU-22M is not that radical departure from the TU-22; the TU-160 is.

Well you claim the Tu-22 and Tu-22M are the same because they both have wings and a single vertical fin and two engines and crew in the front... well the Tu-160 has only two extra engines and is bigger but it also has a single vertical tail and four crew in front and swing wings so in a couple of ways it is as similar to the Tu-22M as the Tu-22.

I mean moving two different engines from either side of the vertical tail into the fuselage is a serious thing... it completely changes the fuselage and the body with the addition of enormous air intake trunks... adding two more engines would not be that big a deal... especially when scaling the aircraft up that much... and they both have four crew...

Thanks, they improved & rearranged it for the TU-22M:

Looks totally different to me...

But still, to create the Backfire, the Blinder had to be designed & used 1st.

No it didn't... look at the chaotic nature of the real Tu-22 cockpit... compared to the more standardised and coloured cockpit of the later models... the pale green colour is a clue... they determined the old practise of black cockpits made it darker in the cockpit in conditions of bright sunshine and low light... having the green background made things lighter without being too bright and dazzling like white backgrounds would.

It was a phase where usability and human computer interaction were becoming factors in design... they started standardising displays.
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:42 am

Well you claim the Tu-22 and Tu-22M are the same because they both have wings and a single vertical fin and two engines and crew in the front...
    I never did, only that the 1st influenced the 2nd & it was derived (evolved) from the 1st. They learned from their mistakes to design & produce it.
    Later, 12 years after the B-1 appeared in the USA, they produced the TU-160. I have no doubt that they borrowed many ideas from it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_B-1_Lancer

TU-160:

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am