Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Tu-22M3: News

Vladimir79

Re: Tu-22M3: News

Post  Vladimir79 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:24 am

JohninMK wrote:Amazing how there is always a camera at these events now. What the hell happened?

It was an aborted take-off and the pilot lost control from the drag chute not evenly deploying.

Post  Giulio on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:29 pm

I doubt that dragchute has something to do with this incident.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Amazing how there is always a camera at these events now. What the hell happened?

It was an aborted take-off and the pilot lost control from the drag chute not evenly deploying.

Can't they stop the aircraft without the parachutes ? They always use them even for fighters.
    Cheetah

Post  Cheetah on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:22 pm

As far as I am concerned, Russian fighter aircraft are perfectly capable of stopping without the drag parachutes, but they use them to conserve the life of the tyres by reducing the usage of the wheel breaks. As for bombers, I'd say they are as necessary as reverse thrust on a commercial airliner.
    Giulio

Post  Giulio on Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 am

I don't know whether the Tu-22m has thrust reverse (I think it doesn't), but the drag chute works mainly instead of thrust reverse. You can't use brakes above some speeds: it is useless and you burn brakes. The problem here, I THINK, is a problem of acceleration, distances and deceleration/arrest. It happened something after V1 speed. But, after V1 speed you have to takeoff. So, what happened? Maybe incorrect V1 calculation in presence of a system (engine?) failure? V1 with a single engine. Maybe instrument read the wrong speed (scorost?), as they say, so wrong V1. Or the runway is too short for big aircrafts at MTOW. If the instrument read a wrong speed, so a wrong V1 (higher than correct V1), they abortet the takeoff too late.
    Cheetah

Post  Cheetah on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:41 am

For the record, I never stated that the Tu-22m3 had reverse thrust, I was simply stating that the drag-chutes are just as important. As for the cause of the incident, I think it is clear that the aircraft had reached take of speeds and passed the point of no return, yet decided to abort all the same. Reasons for this could be anything from mechanical failure (Running off the runway and into the grass was preferable to taking a mechanically failing aircraft into the sky), Instrument failure, as has been mentioned before, and of course, human error. Which one it is, I am not sure.
    Giulio

Post  Giulio on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 pm

I didn't refer to you, I spoke in generally. Anyway, after V1, afaik, anyhow you have to takeoff. Because above V1 to overrun the runway is a mathematical certainty. To overrun runway isn't preferable after V1. Statistically, there are more incidents with aborting the take-off. They have been very lucky (and, I think, brave not to abandon the aircraft with ejection).
    If the instrument pointed a speed lower than real, they aborted the takeoff with a real speed higher than the correct V1 speed, so they overran the runway.
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:42 pm

Unusual viewpoint

Svyatoslavich

Post  Svyatoslavich on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:42 am

JohninMK wrote:Unusual viewpoint

Looks like CGI, not a real pic. Both pilots are identical and in exact the same position, for example.
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:44 am

Svyatoslavich wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Unusual viewpoint
    Looks like CGI, not a real pic. Both pilots are identical and in exact the same position, for example.
    DCS. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/
    Forgivable, the simulator is looking mighty fine these days.
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Amazing!

Still this is real, a size comparison

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOSiL-rX4AE9ZQ0.jpg
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:21 am

JohninMK wrote:Amazing!

Good one...haven't seen the 2 like that before
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

JohninMK wrote:Amazing!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOSiL-rX4AE9ZQ0.jpg

Cool pic. If you want to see a pic of it next to human lol. See post no. 128 page 6 of this thread lol.

I also have pics of Tu-95 on this forum
    http://www.russiadefence.net/t3372-my-pics-and-vids

And if you're interested in North Korea
    http://www.russiadefence.net/t4677-north-korean-dprk-trip

I have much more on Facebook just haven't got time to upload here. Currently have over 7,000 pics and 60+ videos of my travels.
    Currently living in Kenya. On a 2 year self funded volunteer mission helping people in east africa
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 pm

I wanted to ask people's opinion on the rear mounted gun on the Tu-22M is worth having it now? Only use I can see is if it came across another enemy bomber which is highly unlikely. I thought maybe best just to remove it to save weight and it removes ammo sitting at rear of aircraft
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 am

Actually the 23mm cannon has decoy rounds it can fire and its very high rate of fire would make it rather useful even against incoming missiles given the right circumstances.

The 23 x 115mm rounds have a chaff/Flare round that could be fired offset to where the bomber is to quickly set up an IR and radar reflective cluster of decoys in a short burst.

Equally the same gun can fire at a comparable rate to the Phalanx with a much heavier projectile though with lower velocity...

They didn't bother with the Blackjack and I doubt the PAK DA would have a gun but the latter likely will have air to air missiles for a defensive role of potentially shooting down missiles aimed at the aircraft.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:38 am

GarryB wrote:Actually the 23mm cannon has decoy rounds it can fire and its very high rate of fire would make it rather useful even against incoming missiles given the right circumstances.

The 23 x 115mm rounds have a chaff/Flare round that could be fired offset to where the bomber is to quickly set up an IR and radar reflective cluster of decoys in a short burst.

Equally the same gun can fire at a comparable rate to the Phalanx with a much heavier projectile though with lower velocity...

They didn't bother with the Blackjack and I doubt the PAK DA would have a gun but the latter likely will have air to air missiles for a defensive role of potentially shooting down missiles aimed at the aircraft.

Cool never knew about the chaff rounds. Yeah I was expecting that PAK DA would have some sort of missile.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 pm