Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

T-90 comparison with M1A2

Werewolf
    Colonel
    Colonel

Re: T-90 comparison with M1A2

Post  Werewolf on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:31 pm

The only thing you would pray for is if they can achieve some mission kill by killing its firepower, optical capabilities or mobility, but i haven't seen figures so far about the mission kill probability of current rounds.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:39 am

Neoprime wrote:I want to know if the current ammo round from a T-90AM/MS 125mm 2a46M-5 were to hit a M1A2 Abrams from the front would it knock it out and visa versa.
    Well, you'd need to provide more details for one to give you a conclusive answer.

Assuming the MS is firing the most modern round for the 2A46M-5, that being the Svinets-1, there are a few areas where it is certainly capable of penetrating any Abrams variant; ie the the gun mantlet (which is only around 400 mm) and the turret ring, assuming the shot is in the general location of the drivers' hatch. Even the Mango would be capable of penetrating such locations.

The turret cheeks are undeniably impenetrable from such a round, same with (at least most of) the lower frontal plate. Technically, the lowest section of it does begin the thin, so there is that.

Generally though, tanks will aim for center mass and not such weakspots.

I'll upload some images in a bit.

Zivo
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Zivo on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:15 am

I never liked the giant "shoot here" sign on the side of western MBT turrets.

Mike E
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post  Mike E on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:24 am

Red line - standard Soviet (ie worse case scenario) APFSDS accuracy whilst stationary; 0.25 mil (this is at 2 km, so 0.5).
    Blue line - the above plus inaccuracy by the stabilizer, I used 0.3 mil as a fire because it may represent bumpy (but not horrible) terrains' effects on a typical Russian system (and that seems about right), so 0.85 meters (at 2km once again) inaccuracy in total.
    Green line - completely horrible (and even unrealistic) levels of stabilizer error; .6 mil alone, for 1.45 meter inaccuracy.
    Orange line - takes into consideration  green & red plus bad barrel flex (assuming this vehicle does not have a MRS), of an additional 1 full mil. For all intensive purposes, this is the absolute worse accuracy you could ever achieve with a modern MBT, if not impossibly bad.

An average figure would be in between Red and Blue, most likely.

Also note that the circles are slightly above center mass, this was done for a reason; the bottom section of the tank (including the lower section LFP) is the least likely area to be in LOS and/or hit.

Area of blue circle is .57 meters squared, just to let you all know.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:09 am

Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:09 am