Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers"

Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers" Empty Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers"

Post  Odin of Ossetia on Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:44 am

Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers"

Locals have called western backpackers: "begpackers," and government officials in several countries have had enough with these pesky white youngsters asking for money from people who are significantly poorer than they're. wrote:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-26/southeast-asia-furious-millennial-begpackers

I have not traveled much because I cannot afford to. I think these guys heard too many of these "you can travel the world almost without any money" stories that have been rather popular during the last decade or two.

My suspicion is that many of these stories are either invented or exaggerated by people who are perhaps not very eager to admit that they are rich, but who somehow despite their "poverty" managed to visit many countries.

I am curious if these "begpackers" are also found elsewhere, like in Europe and Latin America?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers" Empty Re: Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers"

Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:05 am

Lots of tourists here in NZ often hire a vehicle and live in the vehicle rather than using hotels or other lodgings that would cost rather more. Freedom campers they call it, which is basically living on the cheap and not spending money in the places you visit...
    Odin of Ossetia
    Odin of Ossetia

Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers" Empty Re: Orient is Tired of the Western "BegPackers"

Post  Odin of Ossetia on Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:31 am

New Zealand is so far away from all countries except perhaps Australia, that it is prohibitive for genuinely poor people to visit this country simply on the basis of the high cost of the plane tickets.

Really poor people from Poland cannot even get to New Zealand in the first place; the plane tickets simply cost too much.

And renting a car also costs money. Even staying at camping sites costs money.

Aristide
    Aristide

Post  Aristide on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 am

I think thats hilarious. I spend 12.000 € last year for me and my girl travel to australia. I cant imagine to go abroad and beg. Sleep in a car? Hell no.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:48 am

You would be surprised Odin, some of the richest people around are also some of the tightest... there is a tradition here in NZ to go on an OE when you leave education... normally university... (OE = Overseas Experience) and most kiwis go to London and then from there travel around the place.

Aristide
    Aristide

Post  Aristide on Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:36 am

GarryB wrote:You would be surprised Odin, some of the richest people around are also some of the tightest... there is a tradition here in NZ to go on an OE when you leave education... normally university... (OE = Overseas Experience) and most kiwis go to London and then from there travel around the place.

But you have a certain standard. I would not even camp.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:19 am