Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+52
RTN
Sujoy
mnrck
lyle6
Atmosphere
TMA1
Krepost
AlfaT8
owais.usmani
Odin of Ossetia
DerWolf
Singular_Transform
PhSt
thegopnik
Gazputin
miketheterrible
kvs
Mindstorm
Big_Gazza
nero
dino00
Tsavo Lion
LMFS
GunshipDemocracy
Ives
mnztr
PapaDragon
Hole
flamming_python
KomissarBojanchev
magnumcromagnon
GarryB
william.boutros
Arrow
Vann7
mack8
Fulcrum-35
BKP
Zivo
Austin
TheArmenian
zg18
JohninMK
hoom
Cyberspec
gaurav
ATLASCUB
The-thing-next-door
Isos
auslander
medo
George1
56 posters

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

zg18
    zg18

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Empty Re: "Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

Post  zg18 03/03/18, 01:41 pm

JohninMK wrote:It looks suspiciously like an air launched Iskander says the Drive. Nothing bad about that!

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18943/putins-air-launched-hypersonic-weapon-appears-to-be-a-modified-iskander-ballistic-missile

I just wanted to post same article Smile

An air-launched ballistic missile is a relevant capability that dramatically expends the reach (by roughly four times), deployability, and flexibility over existing Iskander missiles. But if this missile does indeed have anti-ship capabilities, that's a huge leap in capability for Russia's already incredibly dense anti-ship missile arsenal. wrote:

This development will likely only increase calls for broader, more layered ballistic missile defense, not to mention the fielding of new targeting new sensors, and the distributing of some "shooter" roles to airborne systems. This includes those armed with directed energy weapons (lasers) and even very-long range air-to-air missiles. wrote:

Kinzhal enables win-win scenario for Moscow, it forces US to either accept capitulation on ABM or to spend additional gazzilion dollars on ABM that are needed elsewhere. Putin playing straight out of Reagan`s playbook.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Empty Re: "Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex

Post  GunshipDemocracy 03/03/18, 02:31 pm

JohninMK wrote:It looks suspiciously like an air launched Iskander says the Drive. Nothing bad about that!

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18943/putins-air-launched-hypersonic-weapon-appears-to-be-a-modified-iskander-ballistic-missile

Meh, Iskander is a rocket and flies like 6-7 Ma, no wings

Kindzhalis 20000 (ok energy high due to MiG-31) and 10 Ma. But unlikely a rocket but ramjet and has wings
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 03/03/18, 03:07 pm

Sustaining a mach 10 speed over 2,000km suggests to me that it has a rocket but also a scramjet motor, so while it might look the same as the Iskander, I rather suspect it is quite different inside.

the Iskander is all rocket and accelerates to about mach 7 or so and high altitude...

But with a scramjet motor at mach 10 peak speed that means fuel for running the scramjet engine for about 10 minutes to reach 2,000km...
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 03/03/18, 05:21 pm

Zivo wrote:Sorry I haven't posted here in a while.

There's a lot to be said about these new weapons. When I heard about the concept of a nuclear powered cruise missile I remembered that last fall a radiation plume was detected over Europe, that originated from Russia. The source of the radiation was never explained, the russian government denied there was an accident. Now I'm wondering if it came from a live engine test of this missile.

Good to see you back man!!! thumbsup

As for that test I assume it was definitely the case but radiation levels were pretty small in fact way below any health hazard levels so that's a big upside

What I want to know is where did that test missiles land and how much cleanup was required?

Also, we need separate topic for this nuke-powered missile, this tread is about Kinzhal anti-ship missile
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec 03/03/18, 06:03 pm

Apparently the full designation of the missile is Kh-47M2 Kinzhal

Top Russian general reveals secrets of new Kinzhal hypersonic complex

In an interview with a TASS on 1 March, the Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Aerospace Force Colonel General Sergei Surovikin has revealed the secrets about the new KH-47M2 Kinzhal hypersonic complex.

According to Sergei Surovikin, the new Russian  KH-47M2 Kinzhal has been developed on the basis of the upgraded Mikoyan MiG-31 aircraft. The new system designed for a strike at targets at a distance of over 2,000 km that allows manned aircraft remain at a safe distance.

“The fast-speed fixed-wing carrier allows delivering a missile with unique performance characteristics to the area of its discharge within minutes. The main propulsion unit mounted on the aero-ballistic missile accelerates a warhead to hypersonic speed within seconds. The missile’s maneuvering at speeds exceeding the speed of sound by several times allows it to reliably breach all air defense and anti-ballistic missile defense systems that exist or are being developed,” the commander said.

The length of the KH-47M2 is about three meters, externally it is distinguished by the air intake of the ramjet air-jet engine projecting at the bottom – a similar configuration is used on the latest strategic missiles KH-101. The speed of the new missile exceeds 4 Mach. One of the carriers of the new weapon also will be the Su-57 fighter.

http://defence-blog.com/news/top-russian-general-reveals-secrets-new-kinzhal-hypersonic-complex.html

JohninMK wrote:
       It looks suspiciously like an air launched Iskander says the Drive. Nothing bad about that!

Definately looks like it externaly

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 03/03/18, 08:21 pm

Well we know the "bomber" version of the MiG-31... the MiG-31 equivalent of the MiG-25RB, had a standard payload of 6 dumb bombs, two under the inner wing pylon and four under the fuselage where the R-33s normally go.

The standard bombs were FAB-1500s, but fitted with special heat resistant fuses so they could be carried and dropped at mach 2.5.

That would be a payload of 9 tons at mach 2.5, though the weapon shown would likely have more drag it is unlikely to be heavier than 9 tons.

The MiG-25 carried four R-40 missiles which were rather large and had large aerodynamic surfaces at mach 2.8, so again I would expect this loadout should allow for such flight parameters... especially if it is an upgraded MiG perhaps with new heat resistant materials that are lighter than steel.
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy 03/03/18, 11:45 pm

GarryB wrote:Sustaining a mach 10 speed over 2,000km suggests to me that it has a rocket but also a scramjet motor, so while it might look the same as the Iskander, I rather suspect it is quite different inside.

the Iskander is all rocket and accelerates to about mach 7 or so and high altitude...

But with a scramjet motor at mach 10 peak speed that means fuel for running the scramjet engine for about 10 minutes to reach 2,000km...

From the other hand Iskander weights like 4,700kg and has warhead about 800kg if they traded warhead for another engine and extra fuel.  BTW is last part of missile goes 10Ma then you dont need any explosives really.

But for the other hand either you have gas dynamic thrust control or wings to maneuver Razz

Su-57 as carrier could explain why this is a good candidate for Russian deck fighter.
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian 04/03/18, 03:34 am

zg18 wrote:

I just wanted to post same article Smile

Kinzhal enables win-win scenario for Moscow, it forces US to either accept capitulation on ABM or to spend additional gazzilion dollars on ABM that are needed elsewhere. Putin playing straight out of Reagan`s playbook.

Where have you been? You were missed here.
    Good to see you back.
    zg18
    zg18

Post  zg18 04/03/18, 05:18 am

TheArmenian wrote:Where have you been? You were missed here.
    Good to see you back.

Thanks!

I had some pressing matters but i follow RDF regularly.

Austin

Post  Austin 04/03/18, 05:23 am

Glavkom VKS Russia revealed the secret of the hypersonic rocket "Dagger"

https://rg.ru/2018/03/01/glavkom-vks-rossii-raskryl-sekret-giperzvukovoj-rakety-kinzhal.html

The commander-in-chief of the Air and Space Forces of the Russian Federation Colonel-General Sergey Surovikin spoke about the capabilities and features of the newest hypersonic missile X-47M2 "Dagger".

- A high-speed carrier aircraft delivers an aeroballistic missile to the discharge area in minutes. Further the march engine accelerates the ammunition to hypersonic speed in seconds. At the end of the trajectory, an all-weather homing head is turned on, it ensures the required accuracy and selectivity of target destruction at any time of the day, "said Surovikin.

The flight to the target also takes a few seconds, which excludes the interception of the Dagger by air defense means. The length of the X-47M2 is about three meters, the speed of the ammunition exceeds 10 Mach, the range of its flight is 2000 kilometers. Since December 1, 2017, "Dagger" is being tested in combat combat operation in the Southern Military District with interceptors MiG-31BM.

- Maneuvering the missile at speeds several times the speed of sound, it allows it to be guaranteed to overcome all existing and prospective air defense and missile defense systems. The effectiveness of the "Dagger" has been repeatedly confirmed in state trials. Now the issues of combat use of new weapons are being worked out, "the commander-in-chief added.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo 04/03/18, 06:34 am

The question remains, is it iskander or a derivative of the system? Does the aircraft's initial velocity and altitude explain the notable gain in speed and range?

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 04/03/18, 06:40 am

Zivo wrote:The question remains, is it iskander or a derivative of the system? Does the aircraft's initial velocity and altitude explain the notable gain in speed and range?

It's way too fast and has too much range to be Iskander but first stage is most likely Iskander derivative, they used something simple to get the fist one ''up to speed''
    gaurav
    gaurav

Post  gaurav 04/03/18, 07:03 am

PapaDragon wrote: It's way too fast and has too much range to be Iskander but first stage is most likely Iskander derivative,
    they used something simple to get the fist one ''up to speed''

This Dagger is really creating "waves" in the west .We know the Deep state government of USA is trembling/shaking in it boots with
    this ammunition . They have not slept since President showed this on his speech.
    From the pic it just looks like an big ammunition like a 2 ton bomb.
    This is not even a missile .. for the west this is just barrel bomb .. They are thinking this is Assad barrel bombs..  Cool
    I think personally (Trump) would be cuttign cakes (celebrating ,jumping with joy) after this Putin speech.
    His enemies are sht their pants in  deep state.

Yaah this social media just looks at the phto and starts comparing things.

Iskander was INF treaty compliant with less than 500 kms. Where as this Dagger is 2000 plus kilometres.
    Russian ground forces have had historically different logistics and armaments  than air forces.
    This Dagger is a KTRV product where as Iskander was dedicated ground forces product.(Probably KBM).
    KBM and KTRV are completely different entities.
    Iskander was a rocket and dagger  well supposedly some alien tech (Scramjet engine).
    As pointed out by many people here

Iskander deployed in 2005 circa and Dagger deployed in 2017 mid probably ..many generation different.
    THere is full difference of decade in their deployment.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo 04/03/18, 07:31 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    Zivo wrote:The question remains, is it iskander or a derivative of the system? Does the aircraft's initial velocity and altitude explain the notable gain in speed and range?

It's way too fast and has too much range to be Iskander but first stage is most likely Iskander derivative, they used something simple to get the fist one ''up to speed''

Iskander is single stage, solid propellant. So without notable modifications to the hull, it couldn't use a two stage method to achieve this performance. Upgraded propellants could improve range and velocity, but I find it hard to believe you could get more than a 50% gain in a single generational leap in propellant technology. We are talking about a +30% gain in velocity and a 400% increase in range.
    Zivo
    Zivo

Post  Zivo 04/03/18, 10:59 am

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Img_2012

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Img_2013
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP 04/03/18, 12:28 pm

GarryB wrote:Sustaining a mach 10 speed over 2,000km suggests to me that it has a rocket but also a scramjet motor, so while it might look the same as the Iskander, I rather suspect it is quite different inside.

I'm not seeing an inlet.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB 04/03/18, 03:35 pm

But for the other hand either you have gas dynamic thrust control or wings to maneuver Razz

They have already displayed vectored thrust jet engine nozzles... so no big deal really.

The question remains, is it iskander or a derivative of the system? Does the aircraft's initial velocity and altitude explain the notable gain in speed and range?

A sidewinder missile launched at low altitude has much much shorter range...

Very simply a solid rocket motor burns for x amount of time with x amount of thrust.

From a stationary start in the thick low altitude air the top speed is rather limited and as its range is largely determined by its speed and weight and aerodynamic shape the faster you can get it moving the further it will go.

Having it at probably 15-20km altitude launch height plus already moving at mach 2 plus means its rocket motor can probably get it up to mach 9 and perhaps 40+km altitude... once it is up there a scramjet motor is in its element and could run for far longer than any liquid rocket motor because it is scooping up the air it uses to burn as it flys along so it just needs to carry a fuel and not an oxidiser.

Iskander is single stage, solid propellant. So without notable modifications to the hull, it couldn't use a two stage method to achieve this performance. Upgraded propellants could improve range and velocity, but I find it hard to believe you could get more than a 50% gain in a single generational leap in propellant technology. We are talking about a +30% gain in velocity and a 400% increase in range.

The Iskander is limited to 500km by treaty, not by design... I seem to remember the missile the Iskander is based upon with pretty much exactly the same shape had a range of 2,000km as well... I believe the NATO codename was Spider.

Changing to scramjet totally explains the increase in speed and range.

I'm not seeing an inlet.

No inlet on the air launched version of Yakhont either... it falls off just after launch to make it aerodynamic... it does not need to use the air intake until after the solid rocket motor has burned out... then the fairing is jettisoned and the intake starts sucking in air for the ramjet to operate... though I suspect in this case this will be a pure scramjet that does not operate in subsonic air flows... simply because it would not need to.

I mean we are not talking out of the bounds of reality... I mean look at this image...:

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 000-ya10

So a 4.5 ton 9+ metre long rocket/ramjet powered Moskit missile under the belly of an Su-33 with a 2.5 ton 8+ metre long rocket ramjet powered Yakhont developed a few years later sitting next to it...

The Sunburn entered service in the 1980s on Sovremmeny class Destroyers and the Onyx replaced it soon after in new ships... now I understand disbelief at the numbers but ramjet performance clearly improved in that period and the step to scramjet is enormous... it would be like the pre WWII period with no jet engines talking about a fast high flying jet that could fly from the Soviet Union to the US and back with weapons... they would never have believed it because with propellers it would be impossible to fly supersonically let alone that far.

Jet engines raised the speed to efficient high subsonic planes with enormous range.

Scramjet engines make high speed much easier and because of the high speed you only need to run a scramjet engine for 10 minutes to fly 2,000km, so long range is not so hard... note the only other option for high speed is rockets and they only burn for minutes at most most of the time anyway.
    BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP 04/03/18, 04:40 pm

GarryB wrote:
    No inlet on the air launched version of Yakhont either... it falls off just after launch to make it aerodynamic... it does not need to use the air intake until after the solid rocket motor has burned out... then the fairing is jettisoned and the intake starts sucking in air for the ramjet to operate... though I suspect in this case this will be a pure scramjet that does not operate in subsonic air flows... simply because it would not need to.

I mean we are not talking out of the bounds of reality... I mean look at this image...

Okay, I suppose it is possible then. Thanks. Smile
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec 04/03/18, 05:06 pm

I think it achieves mach 10 in the dive phase only....before that it flies at around mach 4

Take this with a grain of salt but the Kinzhal could (tantalisingly) be developed into a universal komplex with Anti-Ship, Air-Surface and ASAT capability

01.03.2018 Präsentation Awiazionnyj Raketnyj Kompleks
    ARK Kinshal (Dolch)
    Universal-Raketenkomplex

Basis Iskander-M

GWURPA (AShBM)
    GWURWP (ASBM)
    GWURPS (ASAT)

https://twitter.com/dressler_w/status/969507469222440961
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 04/03/18, 05:32 pm

Cyberspec wrote:I think it achieves mach 10 in the dive phase only....before that it flies at around mach 4

Take this with a grain of salt but the Kinzhal could (tantalisingly) be developed into a universal komplex with Anti-Ship, Air-Surface and ASAT capability

With mach 10 impact anti-surface function is a given, no warhead needed, just give it some time until it's built in sufficient numbers to cover Naval requirements

After that I feel that some unsuspecting snackbars somewhere will find themselves in the middle of very exciting physic experiment
    The-thing-next-door
    The-thing-next-door

Post  The-thing-next-door 04/03/18, 10:14 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:I think it achieves mach 10 in the dive phase only....before that it flies at around mach 4

With mach 10 impact anti-surface function is a given, no warhead needed, just give it some time until it's built in sufficient numbers to cover Naval requirements

Yea a Russia needs a missile that will just make a big hole in the ground and do nothing to the surrounding area because they real objective is to kill the the terrorist mole people.

After that I feel that some unsuspecting snackbars somewhere will find themselves in the middle of very exciting physic experiment

While kinetic weapons can deliver a massive amount of energy this energy is distributed in 1 direction and does not create any sizable explosion like effect.

Kinetic weapons are best used against hard tagets such as tanks or bunkers and offer little to no explosive effects.

You don't see APFSDS rounds being used against infantry do you.

For the purpose of artillery KE weapons are utterly useless as they simply do not distribute thier energy outwards.

I hope that I have made it quite clear as to why kinetic bombardment will simply not work .
    GunshipDemocracy
    GunshipDemocracy

Post  GunshipDemocracy 04/03/18, 10:59 pm

Zivo wrote:

But

1) warhead can be smaller ( BTW some western sources mention warhead 700-800 kg)
    2) speed abput 3Ma on 20,000ms + can also have nice impact on energy saving

BKP wrote:I'm not seeing an inlet.

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 BrahmosII

On Brahmos II can you see?

The-thing-next-door wrote: While kinetic weapons can deliver a massive amount of energy this energy is distributed in 1 direction and does not create any sizable explosion like effect.
    Kinetic weapons are best used against hard tagets such as tanks or bunkers and offer little to no explosive effects.

You don't see APFSDS rounds being used against infantry do you.

For the purpose of artillery KE weapons are utterly useless as they simply do not distribute thier energy outwards.

I  hope that I have made it quite clear as to why kinetic bombardment will simply not work .

Oh yes they can. We both agree that there is energy and the problem ti to pass it to the ship.This can be solved by mechanical characteristics of warhead that scatters upon impact and many shards with high energy make "trips" around CV. Weren't Germans tried in on BK-27mm ammo befroe?

George1
    George1

Post  George1 05/03/18, 04:13 am

Zivo wrote:"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Img_2012

"Kinzhal" hypersonic aviation-missile complex - Page 2 Img_2013

Dimensional visuals of Knizhal by paralay,including side-by-side length comparison with what appears to be 9M723 missile of Iskander 9K720.

Resemblance is uncanny-as per Pavel Podvig's tweet @ russianforces. Going by dimensions Sukhoi-30 SM/M2 & Su-34/35S might be possible carriers

https://twitter.com/Russian_Defence/status/970039837926543361

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon 05/03/18, 04:37 am

George1 wrote:
    Resemblance is uncanny-as per Pavel Podvig's tweet @ russianforces. Going by dimensions Sukhoi-30 SM/M2 & Su-34/35S might be possible carriers

Su-30 will be Navy's go-to aircraft for next several decades so it's definitely in the cards.

One Kinzhal, two pilots, two fuel tanks plus some AA missiles just in case and you got sweet setup for dealing with any and all ships that might ever cause issues.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK 05/03/18, 05:00 am

What?

Pavel Podvig
    ‏ @russianforces
    Mar 3

Now the commander of the Military Space Forces says that Kinzhal, which he identified as Kh-47M2, is a 3-meter long missile https://rg.ru/2018/03/01/glavkom-vks-rossii-raskryl-sekret-giperzvukovoj-rakety-kinzhal.html … That's not what was on the video... (h/t AH)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/04/24, 10:26 pm