Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:06 am

    We are not moving, the local government wants us, the central government doesn't. Make your minds up but anyway who is going to force us??? So it reads between the lines.

    In the face of fierce protests from the Iraqi government and the international community, Turkey is refusing to withdraw troops from northern Iraq. Over the weekend, Ankara deployed approximately 600 additional troops to a camp in Iraq’s Ninevah province, close to the city of Mosul.

    "It is our duty to provide security for our soldiers providing training there," Turkish foreign minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, told Kanal 24. "Everybody is present in Iraq…The goal of all of them is clear. Train-and-equip advisory support is being provided. Our presence there is not a secret."

    But the Iraqi government, viewing the move as a clear breach of sovereignty, condemned the action, and gave Turkey 48 hours to remove its troops.

    But Turkey has refused to comply with the order, insisting it informed the Iraqi government of its actions, and that there was demand for Turkish support in the area. "The military personnel for training will stay. Not because we them [there] particularly but because there is a demand from the Iraqi side," a Turkish official told reporters, according to the Guardian. "The discussion with the central government still continues."


    Read more: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20151207/1031387892/turkey-refuses-iraqi-troop-withdrawal.html#ixzz3tffkH9IA
    avatar
    sheytanelkebir

    Posts : 538
    Points : 555
    Join date : 2013-09-16

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  sheytanelkebir on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:10 am

    tomorrow it goes to the UNSC.... lets see what happens afterwards.
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

    Posts : 888
    Points : 906
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Neutrality on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:19 am

    Complete and utter annihilation of Turkish forces is what should happen next. Blatant incursion into someone's territory and refusing to remove them afterwards because apparently it's in both the interest of Turkey and Iraq to fight against IS: http://lenta.ru/news/2015/12/07/turkey_army/ (annonymous deputy from the Turkish parliament says that Turkey will not remove their army from Iraq).
    avatar
    iraqidabab

    Posts : 316
    Points : 331
    Join date : 2014-06-01

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  iraqidabab on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:08 am

    I wonder what US will do, till now the US only said in a statement taking info from unreliable turkish new agencies.

    Brett McGurk wrote:Brett McGurk: We are encouraged by reports that Turkish military forces have pulled back from the Iraqi border as diplomatic engagements proceed.

    The U.S. does not support military deployments inside Iraq absent the consent of the Iraqi government.

    They risk Iraq going to Russia if they don't tell erdogan to go home. Thing is Putin right now can't wait for a situation to take revenge on dictator erdogan, this is such a situation and US knows this as well.

    The only problem I see for Russia is they close bosphorus as tensions keep going up, what do you guys think about this? Of course Egypt could close Suez for turkey in return.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2729
    Points : 2884
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Cyberspec on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:08 am

    iraqidabab wrote:They risk Iraq going to Russia if they don't tell erdogan to go home. Thing is Putin right now can't wait for a situation to take revenge on dictator erdogan, this is such a situation and US knows this as well.

    The only problem I see for Russia is they close bosphorus as tensions keep going up, what do you guys think about this? Of course Egypt could close Suez for turkey in return.

    Lets see what happens at the UNSC meeting
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7091
    Points : 7359
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 30
    Location : Canada

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  sepheronx on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:23 am

    iraqidabab wrote:I wonder what US will do, till now the US only said in a statement taking info from unreliable turkish new agencies.

    Brett McGurk wrote:Brett McGurk: We are encouraged by reports that Turkish military forces have pulled back from the Iraqi border as diplomatic engagements proceed.

    The U.S. does not support military deployments inside Iraq absent the consent of the Iraqi government.

    They risk Iraq going to Russia if they don't tell erdogan to go home. Thing is Putin right now can't wait for a situation to take revenge on dictator erdogan, this is such a situation and US knows this as well.

    The only problem I see for Russia is they close bosphorus as tensions keep going up, what do you guys think about this? Of course Egypt could close Suez for turkey in return.
    They cant blockade.  But if they do, Russia could just ram their ships. If they want to be a pussy like they have been after the Su-24 shootdown, they could just transport via through Iran.  Maybe set up a logistical center.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2729
    Points : 2884
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Cyberspec on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 am

    They can also transport material from other ports outside of the Black Sea if need be...it would just add a few days to the journey
    Neutrality
    Neutrality

    Posts : 888
    Points : 906
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Neutrality on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 am

    iraqidabab wrote:

    They risk Iraq going to Russia if they don't tell erdogan to go home. Thing is Putin right now can't wait for a situation to take revenge on dictator erdogan, this is such a situation and US knows this as well.

    The only problem I see for Russia is they close bosphorus as tensions keep going up, what do you guys think about this? Of course Egypt could close Suez for turkey in return.

    Suppose Iraq asks for military assistance against Turkey. I don't think Moscow will let this opportunity pass. They'll probably give them a last ultimatum to pull out immediately or everything else will follow. Turkey's move could be closing the Bosphorus but let's consider for a moment that there are American, British and French warships in the Black Sea. I don't think they'll like having their ships trapped close so close to a military rival (Russia).

    But that's just me brainstorming.
    avatar
    iraqidabab

    Posts : 316
    Points : 331
    Join date : 2014-06-01

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  iraqidabab on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:48 am

    Russia asks for U.N. council talks on Turkey action in Syria, Iraq

    reuters wrote:Russia has asked the United Nations Security Council to hold closed-door discussions on Turkish military action in Syria and Iraq, diplomats said on Monday, in the latest sign of increasing tensions between Moscow and Ankara.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8444
    Points : 8528
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:03 am

    Cyberspec wrote:They can also transport material from other ports outside of the Black Sea if need be...it would just add a few days to the journey

    They will do it that way most likely, play nice and let Turks make even bigger morons out of themselves by closing Bosporus. Spoiler: they will never close it, way to drastic, and even if they do plenty of options for Russia...

    As for Russia helping Iraq, Caspian flotilla just happens to be on maneuvers now of all times. Certainly a coincedence.... Cool
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:11 am

    Cyberspec wrote:They can also transport material from other ports outside of the Black Sea if need be...it would just add a few days to the journey

    Adding few days is least of a problem. Costing double or more is what might be an issue here.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:18 am

    Militarov wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:They can also transport material from other ports outside of the Black Sea if need be...it would just add a few days to the journey

    Adding few days is least of a problem. Costing double or more is what might be an issue here.
    Its not a few days, its potentially weeks.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:20 am

    JohninMK wrote:
    Militarov wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:They can also transport material from other ports outside of the Black Sea if need be...it would just add a few days to the journey

    Adding few days is least of a problem. Costing double or more is what might be an issue here.
    Its not a few days, its potentially weeks.

    Yeah, depending on port it can become quite long.
    avatar
    sheytanelkebir

    Posts : 538
    Points : 555
    Join date : 2013-09-16

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  sheytanelkebir on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:12 pm

    Surely Russia can transport material via caspian sea to Iran then truck it into iraq...
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:34 pm

    sheytanelkebir wrote:Surely Russia can transport material via caspian sea to Iran then truck it into iraq...

    That would require thousands of truck maybe even. Its doable ofc but not very convinient way, lets also mention not very safe way either.
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2729
    Points : 2884
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Cyberspec on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:50 pm

    It would take longer and cost more, but you guys are making it sound like they'll be going to another planet Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:50 am

    Possessions of Da'ish militants killed by Iraqi forces in the Makhoul mountains:

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 CVuiZUVWsAAd2oO

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 CVuiZUiW4AAquT6

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 CVuiZVYWwAEIJvJ

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 CVuiZVKWEAA7--R

    Some guys from Dagestan apparently.
    avatar
    Bidoul

    Posts : 54
    Points : 56
    Join date : 2015-07-01

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Bidoul on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:42 am

    Ground is not doable.

    You would need to go either through Azerbaijan or Georgia/Armenia to go to Iran.

    Armenia is likely OK.

    The other two are very likely against having Russian military convoys going through their land.

    Even assuming they say yes. Once you're in Iraq what? Iraqi held part and Syrian held part are cut-off from each other. The only place you can actually cross into one another and isn't fully controlled by the IS... is were all those reports of Turkish and US soldiers are coming from.

    If Turkey close the straights, an air-bridge is more than likely, occupy a couple more airbases, artillery to clean up the area around, engineers to upgrade them to receive heavy An-124 rotations...
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:49 am

    Bidoul wrote:Ground is not doable.

    You would need to go either through Azerbaijan or Georgia/Armenia to go to Iran.

    Armenia is likely OK.

    The other two are very likely against having Russian military convoys going through their land.

    Even assuming they say yes. Once you're in Iraq what? Iraqi held part and Syrian held part are cut-off from each other. The only place you can actually cross into one another and isn't fully controlled by the IS... is were all those reports of Turkish and US soldiers are coming from.

    If Turkey close the straights, an air-bridge is more than likely, occupy a couple more airbases, artillery to clean up the area around, engineers to upgrade them to receive heavy An-124 rotations...

    You could ship stuff though Caspian Sea to Iran and then use ground routes, but that would require making safe route though East Syria.
    avatar
    sheytanelkebir

    Posts : 538
    Points : 555
    Join date : 2013-09-16

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  sheytanelkebir on Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:45 am

    making such a route is not very difficult. there is only one small town which is isis on the iraqi side... rutba.
    avatar
    Bidoul

    Posts : 54
    Points : 56
    Join date : 2015-07-01

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Bidoul on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:23 am

    Militarov wrote:

    You could ship stuff though Caspian Sea to Iran and then use ground routes, but that would require making safe route though East Syria.

    True also it could be the perfect excuse for Russia and Iran to put some actual boots on the ground, securing a logistical route and thus reliving pressure from the SAA.
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

    Posts : 2269
    Points : 2360
    Join date : 2014-08-13
    Location : A small and cutie S-shaped land.

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  higurashihougi on Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:31 pm

    Treachery, treachery Cool Cool

    Vassal rebels against master Cool Cool

    https://www.rt.com/news/325202-iraqi-parliament-us-agreement/

    The Iraqi parliament's Security and Defense Committee has called for a review and cancelation of the agreement with Washington on security, a committee member has stated.

    Iraq needs either to overhaul the terms of the agreement on security or annul it, Hamid Mutlak, an Iraqi Parliamentarian and member of the Defense and Security Committee told Sputnik.

    “The [Iraqi] government and the parliament need to be review its security agreement with the US, because Washington is not serious about its implementation. We will demand its cancelation,” Mutlak stated.
    avatar
    sheytanelkebir

    Posts : 538
    Points : 555
    Join date : 2013-09-16

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  sheytanelkebir on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:14 pm

    iraqi air force begins recon flights against the turkish incursion.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Guest on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:22 pm

    "Two months ago, first official flight of an Iraqi CH-4B Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was performed during the visit of Defence Minister, Mr. Khaled al-Obeidi at al-Kut Air Base. On December 6th, a CH-4B from 100th Squadron was engaged for the first time in an airstrike in Ramadi destroying an artillery piece hidden in a factory. This gun was targeting Iraqi forces stationed at Palestine Bridge north of the city. On 25 November, with the support of the bombing of the international coalition led by the US, Iraqi security forces (ISF) and anti-terrorism forces regained Palestine bridge, which crosses the Euphrates. The video below show the FLIR of one of these drone targeting a gathering of ISIS fighters, western of the city of Ramadi, destroying one vehicle with an HG-10 ATGM (Anti-Tank Guided Missile). Iraq ordered CH-4B to China, probably after the visit of Chinese foreign minister in February 2014. First batch was received on January 23rd, 2015."



    Source: http://aerohisto.blogspot.fr/2015/12/first-airstrikes-for-iraqi-ch-4b-uav.html
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3990
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 pm

    Militarov wrote:"Two months ago, first official flight of an Iraqi CH-4B Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was performed during the visit of Defence Minister, Mr. Khaled al-Obeidi at al-Kut Air Base. On December 6th, a CH-4B from 100th Squadron was engaged for the first time in an airstrike in Ramadi destroying an artillery piece hidden in a factory. This gun was targeting Iraqi forces stationed at Palestine Bridge north of the city. On 25 November, with the support of the bombing of the international coalition led by the US, Iraqi security forces (ISF) and anti-terrorism forces regained Palestine bridge, which crosses the Euphrates. The video below show the FLIR of one of these drone targeting a gathering of ISIS fighters, western of the city of Ramadi, destroying one vehicle with an HG-10 ATGM (Anti-Tank Guided Missile). Iraq ordered CH-4B to China, probably after the visit of Chinese foreign minister in February 2014. First batch was received on January 23rd, 2015."



    Source: http://aerohisto.blogspot.fr/2015/12/first-airstrikes-for-iraqi-ch-4b-uav.html

    Good for China and Iraq. This is a great step forward.

    Sponsored content

    IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1 - Page 36 Empty Re: IRAQ - Fight on Islamic State: News #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:46 pm