Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+5
PhSt
PapaDragon
The Mule
Godric
JohninMK
9 posters

TheMess website

JohninMK
    JohninMK

TheMess website Empty TheMess website

Post  JohninMK Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Some of us on here are or have been on the above site. No names no pack drill Laughing

When I try to go there now it is coming up 'expired 30/3/19'.

Anyone else see the same?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

TheMess website Empty Re: TheMess website

Post  PapaDragon Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Yeah, looks like their domain expired or something
    Godric
    Godric

Post  Godric Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:14 pm

the same thing happened with here on the last week of march i couldn't get access...... the Mess is way more right wing than the old MP.net board hence it's not got the character or feel of the old MP.et board even though it was also flawed
    The Mule
    The Mule

Post  The Mule Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:47 am

Found my way here.

Hello russkiye! russia
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:57 am

The Mule wrote:Found my way here.

Hello russkiye! russia
    Welcome but your join date seems to suggest that you came from MP.net.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:53 am

And it looks like TheMess is officially going tits up:

http://themess.net/forum/military-discussion/398579-this-is-the-end

Time to give them one last salute and pick up some survivors:

TheMess website G3b0hh
    PhSt
    PhSt

Post  PhSt Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm

back in the day MP.net was such a big community, 10 years fast forward I wouldn't have imagined that it will disappear out of existence including its successor.
    but it isn't just them, it seems a lot of popular forums a couple of years back have closed as well. I guess people nowadays are less interested in forums because of the rise in popularity of other platforms such as social media or maybe because the internet is so widespread these days that people have become tired of them. This situation is very different compared to the late 90's, early 2000s when the internet is still a new thing, I kinda miss the enthusiasm people tend to have towards the internet back in the day.
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:54 pm

PhSt wrote:
    back in the day MP.net was such a big community, 10 years fast forward I wouldn't have imagined that it will disappear out of existence including its successor.
    but it isn't just them, it seems a lot of popular forums a couple of years back have closed as well. I guess people nowadays are less interested in forums because of the rise in popularity of other platforms such as social media or maybe because the internet is so widespread these days that people have become tired of them. This situation is very different compared to the late 90's, early 2000s when the internet is still a new thing, I kinda miss the enthusiasm people tend to have towards the internet back in the day.

I suspect the costs of running such forums has gone up substantially compared to 15 years ago. Advertisements may not
    be enough to cover the costs since the absolute number of participants does not always increase.

Regular
    Regular

Post  Regular Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:03 pm

kvs wrote:
    PhSt wrote:

I suspect the costs of running such forums has gone up substantially compared to 15 years ago.  Advertisements may not
    be enough to cover the costs since the absolute number of participants does not always increase.

Monetary cost for running is minimal. 1500 usd per year can provide you with best VPS available or decent server with support.

Mods became senile and lazy and lost interest in military topics. Running a forum is time consuming as well.
    That's it. It was ok community because of good info
    kvs
    kvs

Post  kvs Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Regular wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    PhSt wrote:

I suspect the costs of running such forums has gone up substantially compared to 15 years ago.  Advertisements may not

Monetary cost for running is minimal. 1500 usd per year can provide you with best VPS available or decent server with support.

Mods became senile and lazy and lost interest in military topics. Running a forum is time consuming as well.

Seems a bit too cheap to me. The volume of traffic affects the cost.

But fora do not have the expenses of news sites so it seems like the pain of running them is the main problem.

magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:13 pm

kvs wrote:
    Regular wrote:
    kvs wrote:
    PhSt wrote:

Seems a bit too cheap to me.  The volume of traffic affects the cost.

But fora do not have the expenses of news sites so it seems like the pain of running them is the main problem.

Best explanation: Celestial Justice! Razz lol1 Almost like a sign of the times...an allegory even! Wink

MP.net was a garbage forum! But you know whats worse than garbage? Dumpster-Juice, which was the mess forum. I remember randomly reading posts in the Ru military thread, where I saw posts regurgitating Navalny's protest propaganda...what's that have to do with the Ru military topic (mess forum mods)? The ridiculously biased daft cunt mods on both forums were just the embodiment of human waste. They abuse their power of censorship, for lack of power in real life.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:57 am

Perhaps they got sick of defending the undefendable... I didn't both with their new site and only bothered with the old forum because its military photos section was excellent if you could ignore the political bullshit.

These days there are much better quality images of Russian kit at Vitalys website and none of the political crap... he takes the photos... which are of outstanding quality... and he lets you down load them for free... he specifically states you can use his pics.... unlike the old forum where people post other peoples photos willy nilly... often not really even knowing what the photo is of.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm