Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    AMCXXL
    AMCXXL

    Posts : 335
    Points : 337
    Join date : 2017-08-08

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  AMCXXL on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm

    marcellogo wrote:


    May I disagree there?
    One cannot put on the same perspective a mature model like the Su-34, already in service in more than an hundred of  plane with a prototype that have performed its first flight just few days ago.
    Even postulating a tighter development schedule for the S-70 compared to a normal plane (as the need to enforce security of pilot is not just existent here) there would need a lot of time before serial production of the final product would be possible.
    Above all, however its the same idea of developing not just one but two different platform (given that SKAT has been revamped also) to cover just the production of 80 items just doesn't make sense to me.
    Maybe the substitution of Su-24MR with Okhotnik could happen anyway but together with the one of complete Su-25 fleet as a minimum.

    I would be even more ambitious and stretch the performances of it into reaching the 1.5-1.7 M ballpark: a 5 gen Su-22 available in big numbers (as you didn't need active and physically fit pilots for them) to put F-35 into big troubles.  

     
    Well, the Su-34 concept os a late cold war concept, but the older Su-34 was handed over in december of 2010 and the first complete regiment entered n combat duty by 2014


    In addition, the current Su-34s are in bomber regiments, they will not be the Su-34s that will presumably receive the newly created composite regiments (SAP)

    These squadrons for these new regiments will receive the new Su-34M or whatever they want to call the next version of the Su-34, so they will be totally new, with new equipment that will allows interacting with the S-70, which in fact will can interact with the entire range of Sukhois that are designed to work together.



    About the S-70, welll, you know one are flying in Akhtubinsk range, but you dont know how many time the project os running.
    In this stage, be sure S-70 started to walk some years ago.
    Usually, when one airplane goes to Akhtubinsk , means the project is advanced, probably S-70 Project started many years ago.
    Russians show only what they want to show, when they want to show


    Today there are one S-70 testing on Akhtubinsk and there are zero Su-34M, so S-70 has a lot of time of advantage over Su-34M


    The air force says when opened the first SAP regiment years ago, that Su-24M and Su-24MR will remain in service some more years instead withdraw them about 2020, so this means the replacement for both is still not ready.


    The issue is not that the S-70 is the replacement for the Su-24MR, the issue is that the Su-24MR is obsolete and will be removed anyway.
    In the West, airplanes for reconnaissance like the Phantom F-4RC withdrew in the 90s.
    Then, the tasks that 24MR did, and new ones , will be performed by another aircraft, and a UAV seems more reasonable in the 21st century for that task and new tasks that were not previously contemplated

    In addition, that the S-70 is stationed on the same base as the Su-34 does not presuppose anything, a regiment is an administrative unit.
    The mixed regiments have squadronss of different nature, such as: fighters and bombers, bombers and reconnaissance, transportation and anti-submarine, airplanes and helicopters, etc ...
    It is simply a regiment where two or more different squadrons meet for logistical reasons


    S-70 doest not need supersonic speed. U-2 only had 0,75M.
    Being able to overcome the sound barrier does not mean that it need to do it or that it will do it
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 2603
    Points : 2601
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Tsavo Lion on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 pm

    In the West, airplanes for reconnaissance like the Phantom F-4RC withdrew in the 90s.
    the EF-111A Ravens, Su-24 direct counterparts, soldiered on till May 1998: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics%E2%80%93Grumman_EF-111A_Raven

    Some of the Su-24s could be converted to MPs for un/manned EW missions- it can fly very low & penetrate ADs; others into CMs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-24#Variants

    Combat range: 615 km (382 mi; 332 nmi) lo-lo-lo attack mission with 3,000 kg (6,614 lb) of ordnance and external tanks
    Ferry range: 2,775 km (1,724 mi; 1,498 nmi)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-24#Specifications_(Su-24MK)
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21455
    Points : 22005
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:16 am

    I suspect the S-70 is not intended to operate with Su-34s, I think they are intended to act like jammer Su-34s with Su-57s except with the advantage of being semi expendable and much more stealthy and therefore able to fly high when needed to set off defence systems without exposing people to being shot down.

    When they set off an air defence the information they can gather can be used to help defeat that air defence system... being able to fly at supersonic speeds at low altitude means achieving supersonic speeds at high altitude should be easy and not need a lot of energy... ie supercruise capability... which is good on all counts... flying high means much higher range and speed performance, but also better sensor range and kinetic performance from any missiles launched, and of course commanding the high ground means all missiles fired at you need to climb to get to you which shortens their range and reduces their performance.

    The rather large wing area... being a flying wing would lead to some pretty rough low altitude flights through turbulence for example.
    Hole
    Hole

    Posts : 2188
    Points : 2186
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 43
    Location : Merkelland

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Hole on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 am

    The EF-111 was a EW plane, the Su-24MR is a recon plane.
    avatar
    ult

    Posts : 735
    Points : 775
    Join date : 2015-02-20

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  ult on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:30 am

    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  dino00 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm

    ^^^That is a new video with su-30^^^

    I thought it was the same, and didn't open, but saw on Russia media.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 3649
    Points : 3641
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Isos on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:44 pm

    We talk a lot about su-57/S-70 but su-30 is the more likely to control the drone since it has a copilot. Su-57 has an AI but I doubt it is mature to fully control a drone flying by its side. There will also be much more su-30 than 57.

    That could happen during modernization to SM1 standard.
    avatar
    ult

    Posts : 735
    Points : 775
    Join date : 2015-02-20

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  ult on Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

    dino00 wrote:^^^That is a new video with su-30^^^

    I thought it was the same, and didn't open, but saw on Russia media.

    Of course. I never post outdated stuff. Very Happy
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 5081
    Points : 5234
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:11 pm

    ult wrote:
    dino00 wrote:^^^That is a new video with su-30^^^

    I thought it was the same, and didn't open, but saw on Russia media.

    Of course. I never post outdated stuff. Very Happy

    But the "new" footage is all relative. Its new to our eyes, but for all we know the flight footage could be 2-3 years old and only now its being released to the public. I personally wouldn't reveal anything until it was near the end of its development cycle.
    dino00
    dino00

    Posts : 966
    Points : 1007
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 31
    Location : portugal

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  dino00 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:04 pm

    ult wrote:
    dino00 wrote:^^^That is a new video with su-30^^^

    I thought it was the same, and didn't open, but saw on Russia media.

    Of course. I never post outdated stuff. Very Happy

    Sorry for doubting Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21455
    Points : 22005
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  GarryB on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 am

    Officials have mentioned roles for the S-70 including operating with Su-57s to defeat enemy attacks, and to help penetrate enemy air defences... it is always easier to send an unmanned aircraft into enemy territory to get them to turn on their radars and use their communication systems to coordinate an intercept... it generates targets and communication centres and radars and SAM sites and aircraft in the air that can all be engaged by the S-70 with onboard AAMs and ARMs and other weapons like glide bombs etc, but also the Su-57 aircraft they are supporting.

    I would suspect some high flying S-70s could be useful to fly top cover for a low level Su-34 strike on targets... low altitude flight is the Su-34s stealth, while the high flying but more stealthy S-70 can detect incoming aircraft or threats to avoid like SAM sites etc, plus all the information about enemy strength and location can be sent back to HQ to get a better picture of enemy force strength and position.

    If you think about a UCAV as being flown already by an AI as a mobile system with weapons and sensors that can be delivered as requested then its operation with single seat platforms is interesting...

    Imagine a Ka-52 manouvering through mountains looking for targets with long range optical sensors and radar and it gets to a position where it can detect some enemy forces moving through a valley... launch 4-5 S-70s which can climb and accelerate to supersonic speed to get to the location pretty fast and drop bombs or launch missiles at the targets while the Ka-52 monitors the attack and determines if a follow up attack is needed... they can be used as sensors or weapon trucks so other platforms can continue their missions without risking running out of weapons or ammo... or exposing themselves to enemy arms.

    In that scenario there could be plenty of small arms and MANPADS that could put a helo at risk, but would be no threat at all to a high flying armed drone.

    In comparison the Ka-52 could have taken out the targets itself with these new guided missiles shown on the Mi-28NM, but likely would have had to return to base to rearm afterwards which means search and destroy mission over till rearmed, whereas with the S-70 it can get to the target area fairly quickly... certainly much faster than a helo, and can do the damage with minimal risk against ISIS level opponents, but after the attack the Ka-52 can evaluate the performance of the attack and extra S-70s could loiter in the area and monitor enemy activity too while the helo carries on its mission to find targets and destroy them.

    In this situation the helicopter is the finder and the S-70 is the destroyer, but they cans swap roles even during a mission... such UCAVs would be useful in combination with a wide range of platforms... including MPAs... it could carry APR-3E air dropped torpedoes or depth charges or anti ship missiles....
    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 4546
    Points : 4661
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  kvs on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:27 am

    ult wrote:

    What is that rear orifice to the right of the engine nozzle? I do not think it serves any purpose to control the exhaust IR signature.
    Anyone have any ideas?

    avatar
    hoom

    Posts : 1948
    Points : 1938
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  hoom on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:06 am

    I'm assuming its APU exhaust.
    Large but maybe they just used a stock one thats bigger than strictly necessary?
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 2603
    Points : 2601
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Tsavo Lion on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 am

    The Russian Ministry of Defense now says that the primary missions for the S-70 will be intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance, using both electro-optical and infrared sensors and signals intelligence systems, as well as electronic warfare. However, its general size would allow it to accommodate weapons internally.
    https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/29311/behold-the-first-flight-of-russias-hunter-unmanned-combat-air-vehicle

    It could be very useful in patrolling/monitoring/reconnoitng the Arctic/the NSR/EEZs & land border areas- fly at supersonic speed to get to a remote area faster & then loiter there:
    https://topwar.ru/153982-novejshij-udarnyj-bespilotnik-s-70-ohotnik-okazalsja-sverhzvukovym.html

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_S-70_Okhotnik#Specifications_(Sukhoi_S-70)

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 U6kipxwxr6q
    marcellogo
    marcellogo

    Posts : 201
    Points : 207
    Join date : 2012-08-02

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  marcellogo on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am

    AMCXXL wrote:
    marcellogo wrote:


    May I disagree there?
    One cannot put on the same perspective a mature model like the Su-34, already in service in more than an hundred of  plane with a prototype that have performed its first flight just few days ago.
    Even postulating a tighter development schedule for the S-70 compared to a normal plane (as the need to enforce security of pilot is not just existent here) there would need a lot of time before serial production of the final product would be possible.
    Above all, however its the same idea of developing not just one but two different platform (given that SKAT has been revamped also) to cover just the production of 80 items just doesn't make sense to me.
    Maybe the substitution of Su-24MR with Okhotnik could happen anyway but together with the one of complete Su-25 fleet as a minimum.

    I would be even more ambitious and stretch the performances of it into reaching the 1.5-1.7 M ballpark: a 5 gen Su-22 available in big numbers (as you didn't need active and physically fit pilots for them) to put F-35 into big troubles.  

     
    Well, the Su-34 concept os a late cold war concept, but the older Su-34 was handed over in december of 2010 and the first complete regiment entered n combat duty by 2014


    In addition, the current Su-34s are in bomber regiments, they will not be the Su-34s that will presumably receive the newly created composite regiments (SAP)

    These squadrons for these new regiments will receive the new Su-34M or whatever they want to call the next version of the Su-34, so they will be totally new, with new equipment that will allows interacting with the S-70, which in fact will can interact with the entire range of Sukhois that are designed to work together.



    About the S-70, welll, you know one are flying in Akhtubinsk range, but you dont know how many time the project os running.
    In this stage, be sure S-70 started to walk some years ago.
    Usually, when one airplane goes to Akhtubinsk , means the project is advanced, probably S-70 Project started many years ago.
    Russians show only what they want to show, when they want to show


    Today there are one S-70 testing on Akhtubinsk and there are zero Su-34M, so S-70 has a lot of time of advantage over Su-34M


    The air force says when opened the first SAP regiment years ago, that Su-24M and Su-24MR will remain in service some more years instead withdraw them about 2020, so this means the replacement for both is still not ready.


    The issue is not that the S-70 is the replacement for the Su-24MR, the issue is that the Su-24MR is obsolete and will be removed anyway.
    In the West, airplanes for reconnaissance like the Phantom F-4RC withdrew in the 90s.
    Then, the tasks that 24MR did, and new ones , will be performed by another aircraft, and a UAV seems more reasonable in the 21st century for that task and new tasks that were not previously contemplated

    In addition, that the S-70 is stationed on the same base as the Su-34 does not presuppose anything, a regiment is an administrative unit.
    The mixed regiments have squadronss of different nature, such as: fighters and bombers, bombers and reconnaissance, transportation and anti-submarine, airplanes and helicopters, etc ...
    It is simply a regiment where two or more different squadrons meet for logistical reasons


    S-70 doest not need supersonic speed. U-2 only had 0,75M.
    Being able to overcome the sound barrier does not mean that it need to do it or that it will do it

    You are treating the Su-34M as it would be a completely different plane from the Su-34 there.
    It absolutely probable that it would be instead the same that will happen with the passage from
    Su-30SM to Su-30SM1: they modify a serial production plane to test the new components, once done they wait for the end of current production batch, modify assembly line and start with serial production of the new model.
    A gap of an year between the production of said two different batches would suffice to perform the needed modifications.
    In any case you seems not to get the main point: if the S-70 would be intended just as a substitute of Su-24MR, it would not be worth the wait, the money and the intellectual resources spent on it.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21455
    Points : 22005
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  GarryB Yesterday at 4:38 am

    They have mentioned before that they are developing podded elint gear for the Su-34 so it can be adapted in the field for the elint and jammer type role depending upon the pods fitted... suggesting that instead of a dedicated elint or jammer aircraft they will develop kit suites that can be used on Su-34s when needed... the electronics in the Su-34 should be sophisticated enough that with the right equipment plugged in it should be able to do the job of a jammer or an elint aircraft.

    It is like the Platan system gives it basic capability, but for specialist work it can carry custom designed targeting pods for specific missions too.

    I would assume the S-70 would be the same with weapon bays likely similar to the MiG Skate, it could carry long range AAMs or ARMs or bombs or other munitions internally... or it could carry electronic pods and/or extra fuel in those internal bays.

    It might even operate at high altitude and drop small disposable UAVs like that new MiG one to be released from high altitude and fall down and then power up its little engine and fly around for a bit transmitting information up to the S-70 which could pass it back to HQ via satellite link and if it finds a target it can fly directly in to it and destroy it... or just self destruct.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 2603
    Points : 2601
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Tsavo Lion Yesterday at 5:50 am

    Later, they could scale it up 1.75-2.5x to double its range, & make it optionally manned. Intercontinental unrefueled range of up to 12K km or more will make it a strategic bomber.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 5081
    Points : 5234
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  magnumcromagnon Yesterday at 6:31 am

    Tsavo Lion wrote:Later, they could scale it up 1.75-2.5x to double its range, & make it optionally manned. Intercontinental unrefueled range of up to 12K km or more will make it a strategic bomber.

    There's no point in having Sukhoi design bureau develop a manned strategic bomber version if there's a PAK-DA program being funded and tasked by Tupolev design bureau.
    George1
    George1

    Posts : 13423
    Points : 13910
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  George1 Yesterday at 2:31 pm

    Extended video of the first flight of the Russian unmanned aerial vehicle "Okhotnik"

     The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation distributed an extended video recording of the first test flight of the first prototype demonstrator of the Russian heavy reconnaissance and attack unmanned aerial vehicle of long duration S-70 on the subject “Hunter” created by PJSC Sukhoi Company on August 3, 2019. Shorter The video version of the first flight of the Hunter was published earlier.The first UAV flight, as you can judge, was made at the airfield of the 929th State Flight Test V.P. Chkalov Center of the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation in Akhtubinsk (Astrakhan Region).




    An expanded version of the video is accompanied by the following text:

    The remotely controlled device is practically invisible to radar detection equipment, and the equipment with optical-electronic and radio-technical reconnaissance makes it indispensable for reconnaissance at a great distance from the base airfields.

     UAV "Hunter" was created on the basis of the aerodynamic scheme "flying wing" with the use of special radar absorbing materials and coatings.

     Tests of the latest combat complex are carried out at one of the airfields of the Ministry of Defense of Russia and include testing the behavior of the aircraft in various flight modes.

     On the bmpd side, we recall that the first prototype demonstrator of the Russian S-70 heavy reconnaissance and attack unmanned aerial vehicle on the subject of “Hunter” created by Sukhoi Company PJSC was built at the V.P. Chkalov Novosibirsk Aviation Plant (branch Sukhoi company), at the aerodrome of which this specimen has undergone factory ground tests since November 2018. At the end of January 2019, the prototype was transported to the LII in Zhukovsky near Moscow, and in May it was delivered to the aerodrome of the 929th State Flight Test tion Center behalf of the Russian Federation Ministry of Defense Chkalov in Akhtubinsk, where May 14 was demonstrated to Russian President Vladimir Putin,

    https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3740362.html
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

    Posts : 2603
    Points : 2601
    Join date : 2016-08-15
    Location : AZ, USA

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Tsavo Lion Yesterday at 10:16 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:There's no point in having Sukhoi design bureau develop a manned strategic bomber version if there's a PAK-DA program being funded and tasked by Tupolev design bureau.
    That may have delays/problems. Also, they may need a bigger UAV comparable to the Global Hawk:
    https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/GlobalHawk/Pages/default.aspx

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_RQ-4_Global_Hawk#Specifications_(RQ-4B_Block_30/40)

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_MQ-4C_Triton#Specifications
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 2166
    Points : 2160
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Regular Yesterday at 11:07 pm

    Isos wrote:We talk a lot about su-57/S-70 but su-30 is the more likely to control the drone since it has a copilot. Su-57 has an AI but I doubt it is mature to fully control a drone flying by its side. There will also be much more su-30 than 57.

    That could happen during modernization to SM1 standard.

    AI (I wouldn't call it AI by todays standards) controlling the drone doesn't sound like a problem if pilot would be the one issuing commands with hotkeys. Yet, second pilot or ground control can do it more efficiently without needing simplified commands and it wouldn't overburden the pilot.
    I have tried flying multiple comsumer drones using various commercially available softwares and the speed of automatisation is mindboggling. You can create flight paths on the go, tap to fly, circle, eclipse and program missions in seconds. If a simple civilian consumer can get drawn swarms running with few arduino chips then I imagine military is much more advanced when it comes to software solutions that would help control the drones to their maximum efficiency.
    GarryB
    GarryB

    Posts : 21455
    Points : 22005
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  GarryB Today at 10:50 am

    Later, they could scale it up 1.75-2.5x to double its range, & make it optionally manned. Intercontinental unrefueled range of up to 12K km or more will make it a strategic bomber.

    Not really... a strategic bomber doesn't need high speed, the focus will be in different areas.

    I do think that Sukhoi and Tupolev probably shared data and information as they are both working on flying wing designs, but the designs are different enough that they likely wouldn't waste time trying to merge designs.

    If they need bigger UCAV designs then I am sure they will make them... I don't think it would be cost effective to make a PAK DA into a UCAV, or vice versa.

    Sponsored content

    S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV - Page 9 Empty Re: S-70 "Okhotnik" UCAV

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm