Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian domestic items vs western

d_taddei2

Russian domestic items vs western

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Which civilian domestic items that are Russian made would you say are better than western counterparts? (No firearms)
    miketheterrible

Re: Russian domestic items vs western

Post  miketheterrible on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:53 am

that would be hard for us to test out, seeing as how Russian products are non existent in the west or west of Russia.

I guess I can say some brand of tractors and what not, especially since Russia owns our major tractor plant here in Winnipeg Manitoba.

But if you are asking about their fridges, stoves, furnaces, elevators and what not, you wont get an answer.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 am

Well it is funny you ask, because I had a quick look at all the products I own and none of them are made in the UK or US... the vast majority are actually Chinese or South Korean.... so fail Russia, but hardly a win for the west.

My latest appliance is a Fisher and Paykel washing machine, which is a New Zealand company, but TV is Samsung, Car is Toyota, Oven is also Fisher and Paykel, Fridge is Samsung too.
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:03 am

My vehicles are partially Canadian made, but mostly US/Italian/Chinese/Japanese/etc components.

My fridge, oven, microwave are Whirlpool. Made in China.

My TV's are LG, so made in Korea

My speakers are Vizio - made in China

My clothing are made in Bangladesh, China and India.

My shoes are made in Bangladesh

My computer parts are made in China, excluding my ram which use Samsung chips which are South Korea.

My petrol is in question if it is made in Canada or US.

I've only seen Russian made civil average consumer parts on online. Never in a store. But of course, it could also be like most western stuff and be mostly made from Chinese/South Korean/Malaysian/Taiwan parts.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:41 pm

It really is a handful of countries that dominate this area of goods. Only thing I have ever seen and bought that was russian made was a small water heater  (like a handheld kettle element) and that was bought at the small tourist shop at chernobyl Ukraine back in 2009 lol. I've since seen the same item alongside chinese version here in Uganda as well as in kenya.
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:20 am

another interesting subject/question could be:

in which countries Russian domestic items/services are exported more?

Firebird

Post  Firebird on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:09 am

Looking past just domestic items and onto brands in general:-
    I think with globalism, pre-eminence tends to be very concentrated.
    For instance:-
    consumer electronics - Japan and S Korea. Soon China will join.
    web stuff and computer hardware - USA with some of Asia.
    fashion and design - Italy and France.
    quality mass market cars - Japan and S Korea.
    engineering and premium cars - Germany.
    call centres and software teams (cheap) - India.
    cheap manufacturing - China etc

Then you have the exceptions eg Phillips Electronics, Embraer, Volvo, Nokia etc.

I'm sure Russia could succeed in most sectors. But why bother if its easier to flourish in other areas.
    Russia is pre-eminent not so much in comsumer stuff. Its more military, resources, nuclear power, good organic foodstuffs.
    It also has some fantastic brands like Kamaz, Kalashnikov and Kaspersky and alcohols. Yotaphone shows they could do it in IT.
    St Petersburg is a gigantic "cultural brand". Perhaps Sochi etc can do the same for leisure in time?

Aurus cars will be terrific. As will UAC planes.

With a substantial "upper middle class" I think within 20 yrs there will be many "household brands" worldwide of Russian origin. Russian interior designers are world renowned for instance. Because they rub shoulders with people who throw masses of money at projects. Its like the saying "necessity is the mother of invention". By extension, places become "hotbeds" of certain skills, which cause pre-eminence.  Skolkovo and transfer of military tech to civillian projects may see an explosion in tech brands from RUssia.

I'd like to see how Russia can spawn "talent clusters". Ofcourse there is the oligarch set who could develop design and high end cultural stuff. Also extractive industries tend to develop engineering. This can lead onto tech design - as has happened with Germany. Perhaps Russia's work in the silk road, the Northern sea route and the rail line to India, may mean Russia can become a prime trading/retrading nation. This tends to develop financial skills eg London, NYC, Hon Kong, Singapore going from a port to a banking capital.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:11 am

The point is that there are so many barriers to Russian products in the west, Russian products may never become popular, but that does not matter.

Russia can trade with the rest of the world... and they can trade fairly, which will boost Russian companies but will also boost companies in those countries they trade with... both can grow and make money and as they grow new markets will be created for consumer goods... but those growing countries wont be able to afford western prices so they will likely consider Russian products instead... especially as their view of Russia will not be coloured by irrational hate.

If trade and cooperation with Russia can drag the third world up into the second or even first world then these countries and Russia will benefit.

Of course the west will fight that... but lets face it... China has already started cooperation with third world countries, spending money on infrastructure and local development... if Russia does the same and eventually India does so too and all three support each other in making the world a better place without screwing everyone then things can improve.

It is not about charity...

The focus of a company should not be money and profit... it should be to its customers... to its workers... and to the community it operates within.

The western model has sheep and wolves... a better model will be Sheep and Sheepdogs.

You need workers to make the product, and you need someone in charge to direct and support... here in New Zealand the guy in charge of Burger King made 700 million dollars in personal income... I know because they had a news item where New Zealand Burger King was being prosecuted because one of their managers ended up working too many hours overtime which meant he ended up getting paid less than minimum wage (something like $16 an hour).

How long can such a business model continue?

Why would anyone want such a business model?

It is a pyramid scheme... but a legal one.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:50 pm