Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Share

    hoom

    Posts : 1176
    Points : 1166
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  hoom on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:43 pm

    Kasatonov
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1344
    Points : 1346
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 am

    I always viewed the use of Palash/Palma CIWS on the 22350s as a bit of a placeholder, to be replaced when a more capable system (such as Pantsir-M) becomes available. I'd expect the 22350M would make this trade, and wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the Golovko and Isokov gets upgraded?

    While on the subject, anyone have any idea on the future of the navalised Tor-M2KM? AFAIK there aren't any prospective vessels that are slated to carry it as standard fit. Are we to assume that it is a mission-specific add-on to be fitted to "modular" vessels like Bykov?
    avatar
    verkhoturye51

    Posts : 132
    Points : 130
    Join date : 2018-03-02

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  verkhoturye51 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:29 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:While on the subject, anyone have any idea on the future of the navalised Tor-M2KM?

    Why? Tor M2KM has a range of 15 km, while Pantsir M 20 km.
    avatar
    Isos

    Posts : 2303
    Points : 2297
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Isos on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:I always viewed the use of Palash/Palma CIWS on the 22350s as a bit of a placeholder, to be replaced when a more capable system (such as Pantsir-M) becomes available.  I'd expect the 22350M would make this trade, and wouldn't be surprised if one or both of the Golovko and Isokov gets upgraded?

    While on the subject, anyone have any idea on the future of the navalised Tor-M2KM?  AFAIK there aren't any prospective vessels that are slated to carry it as standard fit.  Are we to assume that it is a mission-specific add-on to be fitted to "modular" vessels like Bykov?

    The last version is more than modular. You just need to put it on a flat deck and it can work alone. While pantsirs and other VLS are mounted on frigates, destroyer and corvettes, tor can just be mounted on auxilliaey vessels that are part of a task force.

    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18340
    Points : 18900
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  GarryB on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:39 am

    Why? Tor M2KM has a range of 15 km, while Pantsir M 20 km.

    Tor is vertical launch and therefore the launcher is stealthy... plus does not need the launcher turned in the direction of the target before launch... and the missiles are single stage and much smaller and likely cheaper command guided missiles.
    avatar
    verkhoturye51

    Posts : 132
    Points : 130
    Join date : 2018-03-02

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  verkhoturye51 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:58 am

    GarryB wrote:
    Why? Tor M2KM has a range of 15 km, while Pantsir M 20 km.

    Tor is vertical launch and therefore the launcher is stealthy... plus does not need the launcher turned in the direction of the target before launch... and the missiles are single stage and much smaller and likely cheaper command guided missiles.

    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1344
    Points : 1346
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:05 am

    verkhoturye51 wrote:
    GarryB wrote:
    Why? Tor M2KM has a range of 15 km, while Pantsir M 20 km.

    Tor is vertical launch and therefore the launcher is stealthy... plus does not need the launcher turned in the direction of the target before launch... and the missiles are single stage and much smaller and likely cheaper command guided missiles.

    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.

    Because Pantsir is a gun/missile CIWS that represents an evolutionary upgrade to the older Kashtan/Klintoks. Pantsir-M is is the marinised Pantsir gun, missiles and radars from land forces mounted onto a Kashtan launcher.

    Tor doesn't include a gun.

    Russian/Soviet capital ships use both as part of a layered defense. Tor for all-aspect coverage, Kashtan for specific arcs as point-defense.

    hoom

    Posts : 1176
    Points : 1166
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  hoom on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:45 pm

    Apparently success with test launches https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3365386.html
    Googletranslate wrote:Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov” [project 22350], performing scheduled tasks of a combat training course in the Barents Sea, successfully conducted a series of practical shooting anti-aircraft missile system of the sea-based vertical launch "Polyment-Redut".

    The crew of the ship three times successfully hit air targets at various altitudes and distances with anti-aircraft missiles. Also noted accurate hit on a sea shield, simulating a small surface target.
    Could be just a confirmation of existing capabilities rather than success in stuff its failed at previously.
    Hopefully the latter though sunny
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 2675
    Points : 2657
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  miketheterrible on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:37 pm

    multiple altitudes is a dead give away.

    Short, medium and high altitude. 3 targets. Makes sense.
    avatar
    LMFS

    Posts : 716
    Points : 710
    Join date : 2018-03-03

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  LMFS on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:14 pm

    hoom wrote:Apparently success with test launches https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3365386.html
    Googletranslate wrote:Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov” [project 22350], performing scheduled tasks of a combat training course in the Barents Sea, successfully conducted a series of practical shooting anti-aircraft missile system of the sea-based vertical launch "Polyment-Redut".

    The crew of the ship three times successfully hit air targets at various altitudes and distances with anti-aircraft missiles. Also noted accurate hit on a sea shield, simulating a small surface target.
    Could be just a confirmation of existing capabilities rather than success in stuff its failed at previously.
    Hopefully the latter though sunny

    This is good news indeed thumbsup
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18340
    Points : 18900
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  GarryB on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:14 am

    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.

    TOR... or the naval Klintok has traditionally not been fitted to small ships... it has generally been mounted on medium (Destroyer size... ie Udaloy) and really big ships like Kuznetsov and Kirov and Slava class carriers/cruisers as a point defence missile... normally in addition to Kashtan gun/missile systems.

    The missiles are relatively cheap but the guidance and tracking systems are sophisticated expensive 3D systems... the ground based TOR is expensive, but relatively cheap to use and new models use smaller longer ranged missiles that are much more accurate... ideal systems to co-locate with large SAMs for defence from ARMS and other munitions...

    The vertical launch also makes them rather more stealthy than external steerable mounts like Panstir or Kashtan or Palma.
    avatar
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 2675
    Points : 2657
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  miketheterrible on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:15 am

    Hence why it should be used instead imo.
    avatar
    verkhoturye51

    Posts : 132
    Points : 130
    Join date : 2018-03-02

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  verkhoturye51 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:45 pm

    Gorshkov and Kazan have conducted exercises in the Arctic ahead od NATO large scale exercises in south Norway.

    GarryB wrote:
    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.

    TOR... or the naval Klintok has traditionally not been fitted to small ships... it has generally been mounted on medium (Destroyer size... ie Udaloy) and really big ships like Kuznetsov and Kirov and Slava class carriers/cruisers as a point defence missile... normally in addition to Kashtan gun/missile systems.

    The missiles are relatively cheap but the guidance and tracking systems are sophisticated expensive 3D systems... the ground based TOR is expensive, but relatively cheap to use and new models use smaller longer ranged missiles that are much more accurate... ideal systems to co-locate with large SAMs for defence from ARMS and other munitions...

    The vertical launch also makes them rather more stealthy than external steerable mounts like Panstir or Kashtan or Palma.

    This stealthiness makes Tor more suitable for modern missile corvettes than Pantsir. Small vessels' poor defensive capabilities require using as stealthy features as possible. Besides, those 3D systems are now developed and money already spent, so it makes sense to start mass production to bring cost per unit down. Except if I'm missing something and Pantsir's capabilities are more universal.
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 960
    Points : 960
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Hole on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:27 pm

    Tor in all its forms is produced in mass since the 80´s.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18340
    Points : 18900
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 am

    This stealthiness makes Tor more suitable for modern missile corvettes than Pantsir. Small vessels' poor defensive capabilities require using as stealthy features as possible. Besides, those 3D systems are now developed and money already spent, so it makes sense to start mass production to bring cost per unit down. Except if I'm missing something and Pantsir's capabilities are more universal.

    TOR is a very good system, but don't underestimate the Pantsir/Kashtan system... it is more flexible and offers rather better EO systems so it would be rather good against a variety of targets...

    Making a small boat slightly more stealthy might not be worth it.

    Also keep in mind that the radar and sensor tower for the TOR in naval form is not exactly stealthy even if the missiles are.

    Some of those small vessels are getting multiple AESA radar arrays mounted on their masts... I would suggest they are better equipped in terms of 3D radar coverage than any Soviet ship before them within 10K tons displacement...

    Considering equivalent western ships would have MANPADS and perhaps a 50 cal HMG mount, I would say Pantsir is pretty good.
    avatar
    Labrador

    Posts : 75
    Points : 75
    Join date : 2018-09-24
    Location : France

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Labrador on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 pm

    Cool

    hoom

    Posts : 1176
    Points : 1166
    Join date : 2016-05-06

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  hoom on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

    Kasatonov expected to start seatrials 2nd half of Nov
    https://flotprom.ru/2018/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%8F%D0%92%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%84%D1%8C50/

    kumbor

    Posts : 123
    Points : 121
    Join date : 2017-06-09

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  kumbor Today at 12:36 pm

    verkhoturye51 wrote:Gorshkov and Kazan have conducted exercises in the Arctic ahead od NATO large scale exercises in south Norway.

    GarryB wrote:
    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.

    TOR... or the naval Klintok has traditionally not been fitted to small ships... it has generally been mounted on medium (Destroyer size... ie Udaloy) and really big ships like Kuznetsov and Kirov and Slava class carriers/cruisers as a point defence missile... normally in addition to Kashtan gun/missile systems.

    The missiles are relatively cheap but the guidance and tracking systems are sophisticated expensive 3D systems... the ground based TOR is expensive, but relatively cheap to use and new models use smaller longer ranged missiles that are much more accurate... ideal systems to co-locate with large SAMs for defence from ARMS and other munitions...

    The vertical launch also makes them rather more stealthy than external steerable mounts like Panstir or Kashtan or Palma.

    This stealthiness makes Tor more suitable for modern missile corvettes than Pantsir. Small vessels' poor defensive capabilities require using as stealthy features as possible. Besides, those 3D systems are now developed and money already spent, so it makes sense to start mass production to bring cost per unit down. Except if I'm missing something and Pantsir's capabilities are more universal.

    Shipboard Klinok/Kinzhal is much heavier and bulkier than pantsir-M. Pantsir can be some 20 tons fully equipped, Klinok is more than 50 tons, so it can fit only in corvette/frigate sized ship. Tor-M is a vehicle based module put aboard, so, although lighter it must be specially modernised for shipboard use, and it packs less missiles.
    avatar
    verkhoturye51

    Posts : 132
    Points : 130
    Join date : 2018-03-02

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  verkhoturye51 Today at 1:39 pm

    kumbor wrote:
    verkhoturye51 wrote:Gorshkov and Kazan have conducted exercises in the Arctic ahead od NATO large scale exercises in south Norway.

    GarryB wrote:
    So why not put Tor instead of Pantsir also on Karakurts and other ships? There shouldn't be that much difference in price and size.

    TOR... or the naval Klintok has traditionally not been fitted to small ships... it has generally been mounted on medium (Destroyer size... ie Udaloy) and really big ships like Kuznetsov and Kirov and Slava class carriers/cruisers as a point defence missile... normally in addition to Kashtan gun/missile systems.

    The missiles are relatively cheap but the guidance and tracking systems are sophisticated expensive 3D systems... the ground based TOR is expensive, but relatively cheap to use and new models use smaller longer ranged missiles that are much more accurate... ideal systems to co-locate with large SAMs for defence from ARMS and other munitions...

    The vertical launch also makes them rather more stealthy than external steerable mounts like Panstir or Kashtan or Palma.

    This stealthiness makes Tor more suitable for modern missile corvettes than Pantsir. Small vessels' poor defensive capabilities require using as stealthy features as possible. Besides, those 3D systems are now developed and money already spent, so it makes sense to start mass production to bring cost per unit down. Except if I'm missing something and Pantsir's capabilities are more universal.

    Shipboard Klinok/Kinzhal is much heavier and bulkier than pantsir-M. Pantsir can be some 20 tons fully equipped, Klinok is more than 50 tons, so it can fit only in corvette/frigate sized ship. Tor-M is a vehicle based module put aboard, so, although lighter it must be specially modernised for shipboard use, and it packs less missiles.

    So Pantsir M is lighter with longer range and Tor is more stealthy.

    Perhaps we should see a fusion of very short and short range AAD systems that could offer all 3 advantages in one. This could enable a general shift in Russian armed forces from 4 layer to 3 layer AAD, consisting of Pantsir/Tor merge, Buk and S300/S500.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Project 22350: Admiral Sergei Gorshkov #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:28 pm