Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Peresvet laser complex

    Share
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:50 am

    With nuclear reactor in a backpack. Very Happy
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18876
    Points : 19432
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  GarryB on Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:51 am

    Satellites have been "out of range" until now. But it can change soon.

    Satellites are different.

    To remain in orbit that is not geostationary (above the equator and very high up) satellites have to move so there is no way you could have GPS or GLONASS satellites that don't overfly most of the surface of the earth (eventually)... they go around every 90 minutes of so in a big spiral...

    If you shoot down satellites over your territory then you damn yourself and everyone else to not have GPS or satellite communciations of all kinds which is just too valuable to risk.

    And satellites are easy to kill... if you can launch a satellite into orbit (the soviets did it first remember) then you can launch a satellite on the opposite orbit and it will eventually collide and destroy both objects... shooting down satellites is as easy as launching them is.

    It is funny to see you comparing the use of an engineering weapon of a nature similar to the electronic warfare, making minimal phisical damage to unmmaned intelligence satellites, in order to dissable them, with the September 11 of 2001 attack, that caused 3000 civilian deaths in the heart of the US. To note that not even this attack caused a nuclear answer, despite Afghanistan and Irak were considered responsible of the attacks.

    Your point means that all I need do is change the use of an anti ship missile to a blinding laser that burns out the eyes of the crew of the US ship... blinding them is only doing minimal physical damage afterall, but the laser is intended to disable the satellites optical systems... not just dazzle them.

    The Peresvet systems seems to be a projection of the Electronic Warfare to the space, and like the Electronic Warfare seems oriented to cause a mal function of the systems and weapons of the enemy, not to destroy them phisically, despite in some cases, the mal function created can lead to the destruction of the foreign system/weapon.

    You make it sound like a jammer that just blocks the signals the satellites use temporarily... that is not the case... it would have been possible to make such a system in the 1970s if that was all that was wanted...

    next version will be hand held Peresvet

    And the version after that.... IS BEHIND YOU!!!
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3901
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 77
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:39 pm



    lets choose the sound for peresvet !
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4592
    Points : 4751
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am

    Hole wrote:Today they could use the reactor developed for Poseidon. Small and light enough to fit into a trailer.

    Gas turbine? Whats with the doubts of if it's nuclear powered? It's already been stated that it is, check at the 5:20 mark:



    1 Mega Watt should provide plenty of power.
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 am

    This is Burevestnik. We were talking about the powr source for the laser.
    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 2392
    Points : 2409
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  eehnie on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:13 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Satellites have been "out of range" until now. But it can change soon.

    Satellites are different.

    To remain in orbit that is not geostationary (above the equator and very high up) satellites have to move so there is no way you could have GPS or GLONASS satellites that don't overfly most of the surface of the earth (eventually)... they go around every 90 minutes of so in a big spiral...

    If you shoot down satellites over your territory then you damn yourself and everyone else to not have GPS or satellite communciations of all kinds which is just too valuable to risk.

    And satellites are easy to kill... if you can launch a satellite into orbit (the soviets did it first remember) then you can launch a satellite on the opposite orbit and it will eventually collide and destroy both objects... shooting down satellites is as easy as launching them is.

    It is funny to see you comparing the use of an engineering weapon of a nature similar to the electronic warfare, making minimal phisical damage to unmmaned intelligence satellites, in order to dissable them, with the September 11 of 2001 attack, that caused 3000 civilian deaths in the heart of the US. To note that not even this attack caused a nuclear answer, despite Afghanistan and Irak were considered responsible of the attacks.

    Your point means that all I need do is change the use of an anti ship missile to a blinding laser that burns out the eyes of the crew of the US ship... blinding them is only doing minimal physical damage afterall, but the laser is intended to disable the satellites optical systems... not just dazzle them.

    The Peresvet systems seems to be a projection of the Electronic Warfare to the space, and like the Electronic Warfare seems oriented to cause a mal function of the systems and weapons of the enemy, not to destroy them phisically, despite in some cases, the mal function created can lead to the destruction of the foreign system/weapon.

    You make it sound like a jammer that just blocks the signals the satellites use temporarily... that is not the case... it would have been possible to make such a system in the 1970s if that was all that was wanted...

    Do you remember the US destroyer dissabled by electronic warfare in the Black Sea right? It caused not a war. Some systems of Electronic Warfare do temporary mal function, others do permanent mal function, with some small phisical damage. In a ship, or in a land system habitually the damage is small and is not difficult to repair, but on air platforms (including space) the repairs are much more difficult and the damage by electronic warfare can cause a crash.

    From what we know, it seems that this is the form in which the Peresvet laser system can be used.

    At this point Russia knows perfectly which satellites are doing intelligence work and which are not. Maybe from hostile countries, or even of hostile private companies.

    I do not expect Russia doubt in the use of new available systems like the Peresvet to cut the hostile intelligence work against Russia. If the GPS (as example) space infrastructure is used to do hostile intelligence work against Russia, I do not think Russia would doubt damaging it.

    I
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:41 pm

    They won´t use the laser to physicaly damage a satellite, this could be seen as starting of hostilities, but use it do temporarily blind the optics. Like some idiots use laser pointers to irritate pilots.
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4592
    Points : 4751
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:44 pm

    Hole wrote:This is Burevestnik. We were talking about the powr source for the laser.

    You didn't watch the video did you? I even gave you the time stamp (5:20), they clearly state that "The laser is powered by a miniature nuclear system", it can't get anymore clear than that.
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm

    pwnd cry Embarassed
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:17 pm

    By the way… the version of Peresvet in the video (on the flat-bed truck) seems to be the modernised complex an article on Sputnik talked about. Smaller and more mobile.
    avatar
    GunshipDemocracy

    Posts : 3901
    Points : 3939
    Join date : 2015-05-17
    Age : 77
    Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  GunshipDemocracy on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm

    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Hole wrote:This is Burevestnik. We were talking about the powr source for the laser.

    You didn't watch the video did you? I even gave you the time stamp (5:20), they clearly state that "The laser is powered by a miniature nuclear system", it can't get anymore clear than that.

    so far it is to bling as they say " any airborne targets"  I wonder if there will be version that will keep burning stuff too. lol1 lol1 lol1




    Hole wrote:By the way… the version of Peresvet in the video (on the flat-bed truck) seems to be the modernised complex an article on Sputnik talked about. Smaller and more mobile.

    power cable for the other truck?
    avatar
    Hole

    Posts : 1303
    Points : 1303
    Join date : 2018-03-24
    Age : 42
    Location : Merkelland

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Hole Yesterday at 11:04 am

    Look at 5:10.
    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 2392
    Points : 2409
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  eehnie Yesterday at 11:48 am

    At 5:34 there is one example of how it works.

    Not the Star Wars model of use of laser technologies.

    In overall terms this is an engineering system, basically other form of Electronic Warfare. There is not a projectile to consider this an air defense system.

    Despite it, this system can be a game changer by its capability of electronic warfare projection in the long range.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Peresvet laser complex

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 am