Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Sniper Rifles in Airborne units

steve501

Sniper Rifles in Airborne units Empty Sniper Rifles in Airborne units

Post  steve501 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello all, i have read an article stating each Airborne Company hs now got a Sniper Section with 12.7mm KSVK Sniper Rifle - Can anyone tell me if :

1) This is true ?
    2) How many mean and weapons are in this section
    3) Is this the same for BMD Companies if so,in which vehicle do they travel in.
    Hope you can helpme
    thanks
    Steve
    GarryB
    GarryB

Sniper Rifles in Airborne units Empty Re: Sniper Rifles in Airborne units

Post  GarryB on Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 am

Have not heard of that, though there was a news report a while back that they were getting Steyr sniper rifles in 7.62 x 51mm calibre.

Initially they said it was SSG-69 rifles, but later photos revealed it was actually SSG 04 rifles or possibly 08s.

steve501

Sniper Rifles in Airborne units Empty Snipoer Section

Post  steve501 on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm

It was an article i read on the internet again i am not sure how accurate it is, that why i thought i would ask the forum.
    cheers
    Steve
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:47 am

I dpon't know for sure, but I would expect the KSVK... which off the top of my head is the bullpup layout bolt action 12.7mm rifle would be useful against human targets out to about 1,500m, but I would suspect lacks the high accuracy ammo for such a role.

It would be more of an anti material rifle than a sniper rifle... the SSG rifle would likely be more accurate and useful at extended ranges... though its calibre would restrict its effective range to about 800-900m.

I do know the Russian military is testing 338LM calibre weapons and as such they would be effective at up to 1,500m depending on which version they are testing.

As to TOEs most paper TOEs are just that, and for different missions they would have different numbers of men with different equipment fits.

You might ask Vlad to chat about his experience, though obviously there are likely things he wont want to share and also things he can't share on an open forum. Smile
    George1
    George1

Post  George1 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:08 am

The main sniper rifle of Russian Airborne Troops (VDV) today is no longer the SVD, but the new SV-98 thumbsup

Sniper Rifles in Airborne units 1024px-SV-98_Engineering_technologies_-_2010

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:02 am