Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Militarov

Re: VVS Russian Air Force: News #1

Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:36 pm

SU25s wont be around forever, there will be most likely a stopgap where SU34 will be the only platfom for CAS till new dedicated CAS platfom appears (if any, since many people argue now if pure platforms like that are needed anymore due to drone expansion), also SU34 is partially made to be used for CAS same as F15E, US used it very often to suplement A10 in such missions.

I don't know of any Army Aviation units operating Su-34s at the moment.

The Su-25s are all getting upgrades and there are plans for a replacement aircraft, so i rather doubt they will transfer Su-34s to Army Aviation any time soon.

The Su-34 would be too fast to operate with Mils and Kamovs anyway.[/quote]

I thought Russian SU25s are in the Air force atm? Yeah i am aware they are getting update but still they will serve for how much after update 10-15 years max, i belive most of them were built 25 years ago? And replacement is just been in talks till now since Jak131 was refused some years ago.

Well US didnt use F15E as low altitude CAS together with AH64s, but somewhat of a standoff platform using only high precision ammunition while A10s would go low, however on other hand SU34s have certain amount of armor on them so they would be more suitable to "get down there" than F15E is. I mean F35 is imo far less suitable for CAS missions than SU34 and still it is being marketed as A10 replacement to the USAF.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 am

I thought Russian SU25s are in the Air force atm?

Army Aviation is currently part of the air force...

Su-34 is part of long range aviation... DA... not FA or VVS.

[quote]Yeah i am aware they are getting update but still they will serve for how much after update 10-15 years max, i belive most of them were built 25 years ago? And replacement is just been in talks till now since Jak131 was refused some years ago. [/qutoe]

there was talk in Russia and the US about replacing their cheap simple CAS aircraft with already in service aircraft. The US went for the A-16, which was a variant of the F-16 and it failed miserably. The Russians explored using a version of the Yak-130 and it failed too.

hense the current plan is upgrades of the Su-25 and later a brand new replacement model called PAK SHa.

Well US didnt use F15E as low altitude CAS together with AH64s, but somewhat of a standoff platform using only high precision ammunition while A10s would go low, however on other hand SU34s have certain amount of armor on them so they would be more suitable to "get down there" than F15E is. I mean F35 is imo far less suitable for CAS missions than SU34 and still it is being marketed as A10 replacement to the USAF.

What the F-15E does a MiG-29SMT could offer to do but at the end of the day the ground forces want their own aircraft coming in low and fast and dealing with the enemy... they don't want some high flying jock who delivers 500kg bombs close to the front line that could land on the enemy or friendly forces... they want smaller lighter weapons more accurately placed...

Who knows... with modern guided artillery with each unit and attack helos they might not need CAS aircraft... some UCAV might perform the role... but so far we just haven't seen it.
    Militarov

russian air force

Post  Militarov on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:04 pm

Army Aviation is currently part of the air force...

Su-34 is part of long range aviation... DA... not FA or VVS.

That is not much of an issue due to todays joint command.

there was talk in Russia and the US about replacing their cheap simple CAS aircraft with already in service aircraft. The US went for the A-16, which was a variant of the F-16 and it failed miserably. The Russians explored using a version of the Yak-130 and it failed too.

hense the current plan is upgrades of the Su-25 and later a brand new replacement model called PAK SHa.

Yes, i remember that well, Mig AT derivate, Yak131 and that Sukhoi two cockpit monster i forgot its designation. I recall A16 it had huge issues with cannon, they used them during Desert Storm but only as missile platforms since cannon wasnt very safe to be used. This is first time i hear about PAK SH-a to be honest, i assume it will be something based on Jak130? US might start using Textan Scoprion in CAS role, it seems to be quite cheap platform, extremly cheap actually, somewhat of the JF17 Thunder price.

What the F-15E does a MiG-29SMT could offer to do but at the end of the day the ground forces want their own aircraft coming in low and fast and dealing with the enemy... they don't want some high flying jock who delivers 500kg bombs close to the front line that could land on the enemy or friendly forces... they want smaller lighter weapons more accurately placed...

Who knows... with modern guided artillery with each unit and attack helos they might not need CAS aircraft... some UCAV might perform the role... but so far we just haven't seen it.

Mmm... yeaah i guess Mig29SMT could do so but SU34s armed with someting like Brimstone with dual seekers or that Russian future Hermes would be insane platform, it has 12 hardpoints i belive, but lets say 10 would be able to hold triple Brimstone launcher.. thats 30 missiles that wont just drop anywhere like 500kg bomb, but with 1m CEP, i am not saying it should be only CAS platfom, but it could be very good in this role in some bigger scale combat. Still some very cheap platform that would use unguded ammunition would be required. Well, there were talks about developing UCAV on the Jak130 platform, or if they ever finish Mig SKAT, those two could be used for CAS imo.
    Morpheus Eberhardt

Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 am

Hopefully not a repost:

http://saidpvo.livejournal.com/447810.html#cutid1
    mack8

Post  mack8 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Very nice pictures of Sukhois old and new during recent live-fire exercises:
    http://warlock-fe.livejournal.com/17947.html
    franco

Post  franco on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:35 pm

Photos of aircraft participating in training out of Dzemgi;

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://topwar.ru/82676-v-gosti-na-poligon.html&usg=ALkJrhhjF8QMM7UsF5QheL5i8hMEHj1N-Q
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:23 am

That is not much of an issue due to todays joint command.

The Su-34 is not designed to operate over the front lines in any capacity... it is a medium range strike aircraft... not a combat air support aircraft.

Yes, i remember that well, Mig AT derivate, Yak131 and that Sukhoi two cockpit monster i forgot its designation. I recall A16 it had huge issues with cannon, they used them during Desert Storm but only as missile platforms since cannon wasnt very safe to be used

It was a failure because to get close enough to use the cannon meant ground fire became an issue and the A16 had no armour to speak of. Adding armour and it loses its flight performance.

they didn't use them anywhere AFAIK.

This is first time i hear about PAK SH-a to be honest, i assume it will be something based on Jak130? US might start using Textan Scoprion in CAS role, it seems to be quite cheap platform, extremly cheap actually, somewhat of the JF17 Thunder price.

There was the same talk in Russia about what could replace the Su-25 and the Yak-130 was considered with the pilot flying the aircraft and the second crewman operating remote UAVs to find targets that could be engaged with missiles from standoff distances... it was a failure too.

the decision seems to have been an upgrade of existing Su-25s followed by a brand new armoured stealth design manned aircraft.

Lots of funny pics were shown but nothing official.

Mmm... yeaah i guess Mig29SMT could do so but SU34s armed with someting like Brimstone with dual seekers or that Russian future Hermes would be insane platform, it has 12 hardpoints i belive, but lets say 10 would be able to hold triple Brimstone launcher..

The Russians don't really have anything like brimstone, Hermes will likely be carried 8 to a pylon but likely with only two pylons able to carry the weapon like the Su-25TM with Vikhr.

thats 30 missiles that wont just drop anywhere like 500kg bomb, but with 1m CEP, i am not saying it should be only CAS platfom, but it could be very good in this role in some bigger scale combat. Still some very cheap platform that would use unguded ammunition would be required. Well, there were talks about developing UCAV on the Jak130 platform, or if they ever finish Mig SKAT, those two could be used for CAS im

I think a dedicated HALE UCAV designed to support ground operations would be the ideal solution orbiting 10km above the front lines carrying guided FAB-50s in large numbers and the odd heavier bomb for use when needed would be the most cost effective solution... with large numbers of light bombs it could loiter for hours or days and be able to deliver HE rapidly and precisely... not the same as CAS butrapidly available on call support ready when needed and in COIN situations relatively invulnerable. the key would be powerful sensors that can find targets and friendlies in all weathers and being able to hit targets 24/7 in all weathers.

Fastest true but very slow muzzle velocity below 700 m/s vs 1050 m/s Vulcan better advantage in aiming when you got very short time window in dogfight. 30mm gun with muzzle velocity 900m/s is mucxh better alternative IMHO. is better option in this case

The soviets and Russians have always had good aircraft guns.... muzzle velocity is no advantage when you take into consideration the increased recoil throws the aim off quicker and the higher muzzle velocity comes from much lighter projectiles that simply punch small holes through the target while the slower much heavier 23mm shells contain HE that blow enormous holes in the target and is much more effective at bringing down aerial targets.

Think of what sort of weapon a hunter uses against fast moving birds.... it is not high velocity 223 ammo moving at almost a kilometre a second... it is subsonic shotgun pellets because lots of shots at the target all scattered around the aim point is vastly more effective at bringing down a manouvering target than a single fast projectile that does not manouver after being fired.

Pls correct me if I am wrong but there were some problems with exploding ammo that's why those guns are not used in Russian AF anymore.

there were issues with propellent gas building up and exploding, but revised external mounts tended to deal with the problem.

Recently a land based platform with a 23mm gatling gun with the gun mounted externally would solve the potential problems... as would the mounting on the armata BMPT model in an external mount.

The single barrel gun mount on the MiG-29 is even more efficient as it is computer controlled so during combat the pilot locks the target and pulls the trigger and manouvers the aiming pipper onto the target. When the computer calculates a likely hit it fires the gun and stops it when it thinks it has fired enough. the computer stopped the gun after 3-4 rounds had been fired but the targets were still getting destroyed. The designer is reported to have said if he had known the system would be so effective he would only have designed an ammo capacity of 100 rounds instead of 150.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:53 am

GarryB wrote:That is not much of an issue due to todays joint command.

The Su-34 is not designed to operate over the front lines in any capacity... it is a medium range strike aircraft... not a combat air support aircraft.

Yes, i remember that well, Mig AT derivate, Yak131 and that Sukhoi two cockpit monster i forgot its designation. I recall A16 it had huge issues with cannon, they used them during Desert Storm but only as missile platforms since cannon wasnt very safe to be used

It was a failure because to get close enough to use the cannon meant ground fire became an issue and the A16 had no armour to speak of. Adding armour and it loses its flight performance.

they didn't use them anywhere AFAIK.

This is first time i hear about PAK SH-a to be honest, i assume it will be something based on Jak130? US might start using Textan Scoprion in CAS role, it seems to be quite cheap platform, extremly cheap actually, somewhat of the JF17 Thunder price.

There was the same talk in Russia about what could replace the Su-25 and the Yak-130 was considered with the pilot flying the aircraft and the second crewman operating remote UAVs to find targets that could be engaged with missiles from standoff distances... it was a failure too.

the decision seems to have been an upgrade of existing Su-25s followed by a brand new armoured stealth design manned aircraft.

Lots of funny pics were shown but nothing official.

Mmm... yeaah i guess Mig29SMT could do so but SU34s armed with someting like Brimstone with dual seekers or that Russian future Hermes would be insane platform, it has 12 hardpoints i belive, but lets say 10 would be able to hold triple Brimstone launcher..

The Russians don't really have anything like brimstone, Hermes will likely be carried 8 to a pylon but likely with only two pylons able to carry the weapon like the Su-25TM with Vikhr.

thats 30 missiles that wont just drop anywhere like 500kg bomb, but with 1m CEP, i am not saying it should be only CAS platfom, but it could be very good in this role in some bigger scale combat. Still some very cheap platform that would use unguded ammunition would be required. Well, there were talks about developing UCAV on the Jak130 platform, or if they ever finish Mig SKAT, those two could be used for CAS im

I think a dedicated HALE UCAV designed to support ground operations would be the ideal solution orbiting 10km above the front lines carrying guided FAB-50s in large numbers and the odd heavier bomb for use when needed would be the most cost effective solution... with large numbers of light bombs it could loiter for hours or days and be able to deliver HE rapidly and precisely... not the same as CAS butrapidly available on call support ready when needed and in COIN situations relatively invulnerable. the key would be powerful sensors that can find targets and friendlies in all weathers and being able to hit targets 24/7 in all weathers.

"In 1991, 24 F-16A/B Block 10 aircraft belonging to the 174th TFW, a New York Air National Guard unit that had transitioned from the A-10 in 1988, were armed with the 30 mm GAU-13/A four-barrel derivative of the seven-barrel GAU-8/A cannon used by the A-10A. This weapon was carried in a General Electric GPU-5/A Pave Claw gun pod on the centerline station, and was supplied with 353 rounds of ammunition. There were also plans to convert F-16Cs to this configuration and to incorporate the A-10s AN/AAS-35V Pave Penny laser spot tracker. The vibration from the gun when firing proved so severe as to make both aiming and flying the aircraft difficult, and trials were suspended after two days. Although the 174th's aircraft were employed for CAS during Operation Desert Storm, they did not use the gun pods in action, and the Block 10 F/A-16 was phased out after the war" Source: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article18.html

So they kinda did get used but... no guns just Mavericks i guess.

I personally find SU34 fine as CAS platform, its very agile, armored, has very high payload, good endurance and impressive range, if they didnt mean him to ever perform CAS they would not armor its cabin. Its replacing SU24 that spent most of its carrier actually just providing CAS with very rare actual long range strike missions.

"The basic configuration of the intended production Su-32MF/Su-34 aircraft is a multirole deep strike fighter, intended to perform the battlefield interdiction, close air support and deep strike roles now performed by the Su-24 in Russia, the F-15E in the US and the F-111 in Australia."

Now i cant remember or find, there was Sukhoi design for 2 cockpit CAS aircraft during 90s, i have to find it it was so unusual and weird.

Well UCAV you are talking about could be Altius for start when it gets developed, even tho i am not really sure about its payload and endurance that is needed for UCAV.[/quote]
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Putting a gun pod on an F-16 does not make it a CAS aircraft, and does not make it an A-16.

They call it an F/A-16 but it always had air to ground capability so they should all be called F/A-16.

The comments I remember reading suggest the lack of armour made them unsuitable for the role.

I personally find SU34 fine as CAS platform, its very agile, armored, has very high payload, good endurance and impressive range, if they didnt mean him to ever perform CAS they would not armor its cabin.

It does not have great agility with a very high payload and impressive range, it is not armoured to stop small arms fire, that is to stop bomb fragments from bombing at very low level endangering the crew.

Its replacing SU24 that spent most of its carrier actually just providing CAS with very rare actual long range strike missions.

No it didn't. It didn't have the right radio equipment to communicate with troops on the ground, so its attacks were independent of friendly ground activity... unlike the Su-25 which was in direct communication with ground forces and whose pilots went to briefing meetings to discuss objectives and likely issues before hand.

Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:33 pm

GarryB wrote:

Putting a gun pod on an F-16 does not make it a CAS aircraft, and does not make it an A-16.

They call it an F/A-16 but it always had air to ground capability so they should all be called F/A-16.

The comments I remember reading suggest the lack of armour made them unsuitable for the role.

I personally find SU34 fine as CAS platform, its very agile, armored, has very high payload, good endurance and impressive range, if they didnt mean him to ever perform CAS they would not armor its cabin.

It does not have great agility with a very high payload and impressive range, it is not armoured to stop small arms fire, that is to stop bomb fragments from bombing at very low level endangering the crew.

Its replacing SU24 that spent most of its carrier actually just providing CAS with very rare actual long range strike missions.

No it didn't. It didn't have the right radio equipment to communicate with troops on the ground, so its attacks were independent of friendly ground activity... unlike the Su-25 which was in direct communication with ground forces and whose pilots went to briefing meetings to discuss objectives and likely issues before hand.

In normal strike roles you wont be nowhere near explosing ordinance thats the problem. You are near only during CAS with gravity bombs or unguided ammunition. But still SU24 never actually performed any real long range strike missions like it was its real role, it was almost always doing sort of CAS, except maybe during Iran-Iraq war.
    GarryB

russian air force

Post  GarryB on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:39 am

In normal strike roles you wont be nowhere near explosing ordinance thats the problem. You are near only during CAS with gravity bombs or unguided ammunition. But still SU24 never actually performed any real long range strike missions like it was its real role, it was almost always doing sort of CAS, except maybe during Iran-Iraq war.

Well it did really, because missions like hitting the Su-25 factory in Georgia and hitting various targets inside Chechnia and of course bombing villages and mountain bases in Afghanistan in the 1980s all count as hitting targets behind enemy lines. Not all were particularly long range, but they were mostly not on the front line.
    George1

Post  George1 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:14 am

so is there any program for upgrade of M-55s??

A date for the start of testing of the upgraded high-altitude M-55 aircraft was set
    Russian Aviaton » Monday September 28, 2015 23:06 MSK

Myasishchev design bureau is going to complete the upgrade of M-55 «Geophizika» high-altitude aircraft this year, Interfax reports with reference to a source close to the aircraft industry.

“At present the aircraft is being upgraded; the upgrade should be completed this year. It is expected that the flight tests will be started in December,” the source said.
    Follow us on: Follow ruaviation on Twitter

According to him, upgrade of M-55 Geophizika is being carried out under a contract between Myasishchev design bureau and Alfred Wegener Institute (Germany). This vehicle will be operated in the network of the European StratoClim research project.

According to him, a lot of components will be upgraded; in particular, navigation system, communication system along with all the sub-systems connected with it (digital altimeters and rangefinders, VOR and ILS landing systems, cable network, etc.).

Thanks to unique aircraft performance and payload of up to 2 tons, M-55 has taken part in international European scientific expeditions focused on studying the upper atmosphere many times. M-55 Geophizika is powered by two PS-30V-12 engines having a takeoff thrust of 4500 kg each. The vehicle’s takeoff weight is 24500 kg. Cruise speed - 740 km/h. Maximum range at the altitude of 17000 meters is 5000 km. Ceiling is 21550 m. The aircraft is able to stay in the air for 6,5 hours while flying at an altitude of 17000 m and 1 hour – at 21000 m.

http://www.ruaviation.com/news/2015/9/28/3572/
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Russian Army to Receive 16 Helicopters, 29 Combat Aircraft by Year End

The Russian Aerospace Forces will receive 16 Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopters, 18 Su-30SM Flanker multi-role fighter jets and 11 MiG-31 Foxhound supersonic interceptor aircraft before the end of the year, the aircraft manufacturers told Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu Friday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russia is currently carrying out a $325-billion rearmament program to modernize 70-percent of its military equipment by 2020.

"Four units of the Ka-52 attack helicopters were manufactured by Progress Arsenyev Aviation Company. The delivery of 12 more helicopters is scheduled for 2015," the company's managing director, Yury Denisenko, told Shoigu during a conference call.

According to the technical director of the Irkutsk Aviation Plant, Alexander Sergunov, two Su-30SM and two Yak-130 combat trainers are ready to be delivered to the army.

"The government contracts provide for the delivery of an additional 16 Su-30SMs and six Yak-130s in 2015. Almost all the aircraft are in the final stage of production," Sergunov said.

In turn, Alexander Karezin, the general director of Nizhny Novgorod Aircraft Building Plant Sokol, reported that the plant had carried out repairs and modernization of six MiG-31BMs.

"Four of the aircraft have been handed over to the military units where they will be based permanently, two are ready for flight. Five MiG-31BM and two MiG-29UBM will be delivered later this year," he added.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151009/1028278703/new-helicopters-aircraft-russia.html#ixzz3o5N0KeEr
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:25 am

"Helicopters of Russia" introduced a new generation of helicopter Mi-171A2

general information
    Mi-171A2 - the latest multi-purpose helicopter of the middle class, which combines the unique experience of operating helicopters Mi-8/17 and the latest technical solutions. Mi-171A2 provides the highest level of reliability, safety and comfort. This helicopter is created in close cooperation with the operators of helicopters and sets new standards for middle-class helicopters.
    Mi-171A2 provides ample business opportunities and the belief that the task will be carried out under any circumstances. Multipurpose helicopter middle-class Mi-171A2 - perfect classic.
    Key features of the Mi-171A2:
    The high performance characteristics
    A wide range of tasks
    Equipment and systems of new generation
    High security
    Certification ARMAK
    The modern system operation and maintenance
    Reduced cost of flight hours
    The embodiment of the best qualities of the helicopter Mi-8/17
    Mi-171A2 is:
    Powerful propulsion system
    Upgraded support system and transmission
    The modified fuselage
    A wide range of special equipment
    The integrated flight and navigation system, glass cockpit
    Modern Avionics
    A new level of security and comfort
    The first prototype of the Mi-171A2 began flight tests in November 2014.
    franco

Post  franco on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:06 pm

George1 wrote:Russian Army to Receive 16 Helicopters, 29 Combat Aircraft by Year End

The Russian Aerospace Forces will receive 16 Ka-52 Alligator attack helicopters, 18 Su-30SM Flanker multi-role fighter jets and 11 MiG-31 Foxhound supersonic interceptor aircraft before the end of the year, the aircraft manufacturers told Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu Friday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russia is currently carrying out a $325-billion rearmament program to modernize 70-percent of its military equipment by 2020.

"Four units of the Ka-52 attack helicopters were manufactured by Progress Arsenyev Aviation Company. The delivery of 12 more helicopters is scheduled for 2015," the company's managing director, Yury Denisenko, told Shoigu during a conference call.

According to the technical director of the Irkutsk Aviation Plant, Alexander Sergunov, two Su-30SM and two Yak-130 combat trainers are ready to be delivered to the army.

"The government contracts provide for the delivery of an additional 16 Su-30SMs and six Yak-130s in 2015. Almost all the aircraft are in the final stage of production," Sergunov said.

In turn, Alexander Karezin, the general director of Nizhny Novgorod Aircraft Building Plant Sokol, reported that the plant had carried out repairs and modernization of six MiG-31BMs.

"Four of the aircraft have been handed over to the military units where they will be based permanently, two are ready for flight. Five MiG-31BM and two MiG-29UBM will be delivered later this year," he added.

Read more: http://sputniknews.com/military/20151009/1028278703/new-helicopters-aircraft-russia.html#ixzz3o5N0KeEr

Interesting news re the Mig-29UM,s. When Sokol was doing test flights of the first batch of 31BM's earlier this year, they were also doing test flights of 2 29UM's. Same planes or a second pair of 29UM's for this year?
    mack8

Post  mack8 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:26 am

franco wrote:

Interesting news re the Mig-29UM,s. When Sokol was doing test flights of the first batch of 31BM's earlier this year, they were also doing test flights of 2 29UM's. Same planes or a second pair of 29UM's for this year?

I wonder if those MiG-29UBM are sort-of new and part of that order for 16 SMT due this year and next  (eight plus eight), maybe it was 12 SMT and 4 UBM?
    franco

Post  franco on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 am

mack8 wrote:
    franco wrote:

I wonder if those MiG-29UBM are sort-of new and part of that order for 16 SMT due this year and next  (eight plus eight), maybe it was 12 SMT and 4 UBM?

They are rebuilds like the 31BM's.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:57 am

Very interesting interview with the first deputy general director of KRET, Vladimir Mikheev, on the subject about drones and their applications with radars and ECM. Apparently radiophotonics (ROFAR) radars are very resilient and reliable, and they will be capable of running several days at a time without need of shutting down:

Vladimir Mikheev: We are on the threshold of a new era of unmanned aircraft
    First Counsellor Deputy KRET spoke about the developments in the field of UAVs

Today KRET - one of the leading domestic developers of unmanned aerial vehicles. On the latest developments in this field and technologies of the future, he told the adviser to first deputy general director of the concern Vladimir Mikheev.

- How would you define a strategy KRET in the field of unmanned aerial vehicles? On what this market niche group claims?

- KRET is Russia's largest center for the development and production of avionics systems and electronic warfare systems for aircraft and helicopters. This role group to continue in terms of the evolution of aviation in the direction of greater use of unmanned systems.

We have long paid attention to the trend of output systems with unmanned aerial vehicles from the periphery to the core of his track and have taken a series of measures, especially in the field of conducting R & D and production base preparation. Through these measures, we can now say with confidence that in Russia created a world-class avionics for unmanned aerial vehicles of all classes and types. All sets of equipment carried on the principle of an open architecture that allows you to create different configurations of airborne equipment in a modular fashion, taking into account the tasks and specialization of UAVs.

Our solutions can be installed on Russian and foreign devices, which opens up for us a rich global market of combat and civil unmanned systems, which is now experiencing rapid growth. Its volume is already of the order of $ 7 billion, and by 2020, even by the most conservative forecasts of industry experts, will exceed $ 10 billion. OEE is from 30 to 70% of the drone, depending on the type and specification. These figures give a clear idea of ​​the importance and economic prospects of our work.

- What is the feature of the work on the equipment for UAV? How does it differ from the systems for manned aircraft?

- The main difference is reflected in the very name of these systems - they are unmanned, that is, they have no rights, which at the present stage of technological development becomes the weakest link, not only in the management of aircraft equipment, but also at the level of technical approaches to its implementation.

If we remove the person immediately becomes possible to significantly improve flight control and navigation systems, which are responsible for control of the aircraft. In addition, when creating a drone is not a task to protect the pilot from overload, the UAV can fly through the paths with such speed that allow the laws of aerodynamics and the characteristics of its power plant. A person can lose consciousness already on overload in the 3-5 g, prepared by the pilot can withstand short-term overload up to 6-7 g, and the UAV can be flown with overloads of up to 20 g and more.

All of this suggests that the evolution of UAVs will go quite different and depend on several other technological solutions. For example, in an aircraft the person is included in management. From the moment of receipt of the information before making a decision, which is realized with the rotary passes some time. This time is sufficiently large. Until he makes a decision, the aircraft can overcome several tens or even hundreds of meters. In the case of the UAV more and more such decisions will be made automatically during the numbering in milliseconds, and depend on the quality and speed of data collection and flight information, the computer which processes it.

The lack of cockpit allows the pilot not to take into account when creating a range of UAVs restrictions on heat load and protect people from harmful microwave radiation. UAVs can fly at hypersonic speeds by going to the plasma, and the need to cool a heat-sensitive equipment, but even she can tolerate much more heat than the human body.

The flight can take place not only at high speeds, but other ballistic trajectories. For example, in the near space, where there are hard X-rays.

Such nuances are many. Some of them we are not going to disclose. But today with certainty we can say that we are on the threshold of a new era of unmanned aircraft.

- Which problem will solve KRET equipment installed for military UAVs?

- Despite all the unique features of UAVs primarily intended to replace the manned aircraft, and they have to do its work more effectively with the military and, more importantly, from an economic point of view. For our country, in this sense, primary interest is the work in remote areas, especially in the Far North. To cover the vast expanse of the northern border, we just needed a large UAV flight duration, which are able to conduct a comprehensive exploration of ground facilities and airspace, including video surveillance, radar and electronic reconnaissance, search-infrared, ultraviolet and laser radiation. In this role, UAVs will be very effective. Equipment for the solution of these problems have already been created, he needs support.

- Is it true that research in nanophotonics who leads KRET, will eventually create radars, suitable for installation in medium-sized drones and not inferior to the capabilities of the onboard radar of modern fighters?

- It really is. One of the main areas on which we are working today - is the development of so-called radio-optical phased array antenna (ROFAR). It will be useful primarily for the UAV. The elements of antenna systems based on photonic crystals, which will be ROFAR, you can cover a large surface area of ​​the drone. Accordingly, these surfaces can radiate more power at high efficiency.

ROFAR possesses another essential for UAV property - it can be a long time in the air without maintenance. In this sense, the autonomy of a superior autonomy modern radar drones - it can work non-stop for several days.

- You said that KRET adapts to all its UAV competencies, and it is primarily the creation of EW. How do you assess the prospects of unmanned technologies from this perspective?

- If we are talking about UAVs, do not forget that this is primarily an aircraft, and according to all military tactical and technical requirements it shall be equipped with airborne defense. We have today made proposals for the installation of protection on drones heavy, medium, and even a touch of class. This is necessary, because, regardless of the purpose of UAVs is the object of priority destruction. For the opponent it is important to neutralize as quickly as possible, and for us it is important to maintain its function for as long period of time. This will primarily depend on the effectiveness of airborne electronic warfare.

Aircraft medium and heavy classes can be used as jammers. This is quite promising direction of development. After all, the UAV can be in close proximity to a particular area of ​​hostilities, without risking the life of the crew. He will be able to conduct electronic warfare as close to the enemy's radio-electronic means.

UAV as the jammer is also a purely economic advantage over manned vehicles. EW Group funds have large areas of antenna systems and high power radiation, and this in the presence of a person on board necessitating the use of special protection measures. Man is to be protected from the microwave radiation, and this implies additional costs for the design and construction of aircraft and helicopters. On bespilotnike all to anything. It is "inhumane" apparatus, there is simply no one to protect.

- Participates whether KRET in creating solutions to counter system to combat UAVs, which are now being actively developed in the world?

- All countries of the world understand the danger of UAV systems and are working on means to combat them. We, like other global companies working to create similar solutions and were able to go far enough in this direction. Both in Russia and abroad, work on the creation of funds to counter drones and protection against such effects go hand in hand. I will not disclose the details of this work, but I can say that we have carried out a series of scientific studies on the detection of drones and the corresponding effect on them.

This can not only battle enemy UAV. In peacetime this problem is perhaps more important. With the proliferation and improvement of domestic drones them necessary to ensure the protection of protected objects, such as, for example, airports, power generation facilities, hazardous production. Furthermore, they may be used by terrorists. Shoot down all suspicious drones over densely populated areas - it is certainly not out. It is much more justified in terms of both the economy and the sense of neutralization using electronic defeat. In essence, this means the same REB, only sharpened by a special software and hardware technical impact on the drones. If we disable his communications, navigation and data transmission on board, caught his control, he quietly and imperceptibly longer pose any whatsoever danger.

In the military sphere, we're not just talking about the defense of the object, but also about finding a large area devices of the enemy, who are doing everything to hide from us as long as possible. Here, on the first place electronic reconnaissance. Any drone carries a large number of different control systems, communications, navigation and location, and accordingly it is celebrated on the radio. Here on these grounds, their quantitative and qualitative characteristics we are far enough away that we can locate the device, its type and other important information. On this basis, we are preparing some impact.

Works are carried out immediately in all directions. At some point, we will post them and will share them with the world community.

- Do KRET has extensive experience in creating helmet-mounted target designation systems and control systems for manned helicopters and planes. Have you considered the possibility of adapting them to control the UAV?

- We are working in this direction. At one of the companies developed a sufficiently large series of types of equipment, including a ground control drones. In essence, this is the same multi-pilot helmet, only to realize on the desktop UAV operator.

For convenience, the screen is made not in the form of a helmet, and a conventional digital multifunction display, which can display much more information - multispectral technical "sight" of the device, the substrate or the geographical map, for example, a task which the machine performs. Thus, using a real pen or joystick that can be remotely controlled drones, sitting in a fairly safe environment. According to well-protected channels all this information will be transmitted to the board, and the board will conduct reconnaissance, to perform any additional actions in standalone mode, and the mode of external target designation.

http://rostec.ru/news/4517331

Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:18 am

Russia has begun to develop a tiltrotor according to the director of "Helicopters of Russia" Andrei Shibitov

http://alternathistory.livejournal.com/2473379.html
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:48 am

Cyberspec wrote:Russia has begun to develop a tiltrotor according to the director of "Helicopters of Russia" Andrei Shibitov

http://alternathistory.livejournal.com/2473379.html

Wouldnt be their first try actually. KA22 was lets say somewhat of a father of such design, in terms of idea even tho it wasnt real tiltrotor design in todays terms.

Than KA35 that mixed helicopter for liftoff and jet engines for horisontal flight, never went past drawing board however.

Ka 34 that again, was just a drawing.

Then Mi30 is youngest try, however USSR collapse stopped the project, never went further than RC version for testing.

Also there was funny mockup from few years ago:

I just love it Very Happy

There were reports earlier this year that drone and helicopter with this configuration shall get funding though next few years. Aerokso company that was on MAKS this year said they are funding research atm for heavy UAV using tiltrotor technology and company Kronstadt Technology has their own design or at least mockup Smile

Berkut

Post  Berkut on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm

1; None of the Kamov's are tilt rotor. Tilt rotors and the Kamov design are completely different things.
    2; The mock up is a movie one.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Berkut wrote:1; None of the Kamov's are tilt rotor. Tilt rotors and the Kamov design are completely different things.
    2; The mock up is a movie one.

"wasnt real tiltrotor design in todays terms"
    Berkut

Post  Berkut on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:04 pm

It was/is not a tilt rotor in any day, any decade or any century. Your examples are irrelevant.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Berkut wrote:It was/is not a tilt rotor in any day, any decade or any century. Your examples are irrelevant.

"Any century"... Shocked Right...coz helicopters exist for....centuries... O.o

They are by definition gyrodynes or compound helicopter, whichever you prefer, and they led to tiltrotor designs, are you that uninformed on the matter or you are trolling me here?
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:13 pm

Titlrotors per definition are not helicopters but planes.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:11 am