Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Assault Rifles & Machine Guns Thread: #2

hoom

Re: Russian Assault Rifles & Machine Guns Thread: #2

Post  hoom on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:55 am

GarryB wrote:

Glad to see it is auto and full auto capable... wasn't the original version hand cocked manual?
    I'm no gun guy but thats quite a fascinating concept.

At first I thought it was some memeworthy gloriously crazy Russian 'more dakka' thing with proper machinegun rounds.

But its basically a giant sub-machinegun with big, blunt, low-range bullets but enormous short-range stopping power, designed for urban anti-terrorist operations clearing out a small number of well armed & armored terrorists with reduced chance of 'collateral damage' to the neighbours.

Edit: Oh my! There's even a revolver with those rounds  Shocked
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 am

Yes, this is yet another new round... I believe it is a 12.7x39mm round intended for use within 100m with a heavy slug for serious knock down performance.

There is another heavier version with a 12.7x55mm round too but it is in a bigger heavier weapon that I thought was supposed to replace the 9x39mm AS and VSS in the suppressed role. It was the manually operated hand cocked version...

Maybe 12.7x55 is just too big and heavy, though it was intended for use out to about 600m where as this is specifically for shorter ranges.

Would make a powerful revolver cartridge and would be interesting against heavier game with a longer barrel.

I suspect in these guns it will be used from shorter barrel weapons to make the round subsonic for suppression.

BTW I love that revolver.

Like an earlier Soviet revolver the barrel is aligned with the bottom cylinder rather than the top so the recoil line is lower so it does not flip the gun up when fired.

I seem to remember that revolver being revealed before, and by the length of the cylinder it might use the 12.7x55mm round rather than this newer round.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:56 am

Looks like the An-94 isn't as much of a unicorn as we originally thought:

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:22 am

Of course that is not totally compelling as they march past a guard armed with an SKS...

Certainly interesting... I would want to try it out on a range of different groups of forces... it is certainly not a weapon you would give to conscripts or rebels... it sounds pretty complicated, and the real question is... what does it offer that you cannot get from a different design gas system?

If the AK didn't have a big heavy bolt carrier slamming back and forth it would not need a balanced recoil mechanism.

Of course you could argue it is the weight ratio between the little bolt and the big heavy bolt carrier that gives it the ability to run dirty and abused...

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am