Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Share
    avatar
    Book.

    Posts : 696
    Points : 755
    Join date : 2015-05-08
    Location : Oregon, USA

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Book. on Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:57 am

    НЭВЗ-Керамика: Новая Россия BMP броня [03.09.2016 15:53:57]
    NEVZ-Ceramics: New Russia BMP composite ceramic armor / absorb radar


    Armor car. BMP no prob
    Anti harm. Anti MMW radar atgm thumbsup
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Zivo on Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:28 pm

    New weapon system. The amount of new turrets coming out of the russian MIC is getting ridiculous.

    Not sure what the 6x missiles are.


    Project Canada

    Posts : 664
    Points : 667
    Join date : 2015-07-20
    Location : Canada

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Project Canada on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:38 am

    Zivo wrote:New weapon system. The amount of new turrets coming out of the russian MIC is getting ridiculous.

    Not sure what the 6x missiles are.


    I saw this on facebook and they say its the Udar unmanned vehicle based on the BMP-3 with the new combat module "Impuls-2" from Sevastopol NTZ. It seems they have interchangeable turrets, depending on mission requirements, very impressive. they are using the modularity of their new systems to its full potential.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18090
    Points : 18650
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  GarryB on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:31 am

    Looks like a 57mm calibre gun...

    Those missile tubes could be carrying anything from new model Kornets to new model Krisantema...

    They look like 152mm calibre tubes at least...
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1633
    Points : 1628
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  AlfaT8 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm

    GarryB wrote:Looks like a 57mm calibre gun...

    Those missile tubes could be carrying anything from new model Kornets to new model Krisantema...

    They look like 152mm calibre tubes at least...

    Definitely not Krisantema, the length of those launchers alone confirms that.

    kopyo-21

    Posts : 188
    Points : 190
    Join date : 2013-08-21
    Location : Bangkok - Thailand

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  kopyo-21 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:28 pm

    Seem to be it armed 30mm gun, not 57mm.

    https://www.rt.com/news/329553-mini-turret-test-russia/
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Zivo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:20 pm

    So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3982
    Points : 3999
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:56 pm

    Zivo wrote:So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Reduce the shaking of the barrel. Also you can see that the gun is an 2A72 30mm gun.

    Missiles, from diametre alone you can see those are Kornets.

    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Zivo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:08 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Reduce the shaking of the barrel. Also you can see that the gun is an 2A72 30mm gun.

    Missiles, from diametre alone you can see those are Kornets.


    How does it actually reduce shaking? Does the end of the shroud contact the barrel using a rail or tube?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3982
    Points : 3999
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:11 pm

    Zivo wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Reduce the shaking of the barrel. Also you can see that the gun is an 2A72 30mm gun.

    Missiles, from diametre alone you can see those are Kornets.


    How does it actually reduce shaking? Does the end of the shroud contact the barrel using a rail or tube?

    I don't know, but it looks like a friction and support sleeve like the one that was tried on the ATOM APC.

    kopyo-21

    Posts : 188
    Points : 190
    Join date : 2013-08-21
    Location : Bangkok - Thailand

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  kopyo-21 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:24 pm



    It looked like what Ukraine do with ZTM-1 (Ukrainian 2A72 gun) on BTR-3E.
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Zivo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:41 pm

    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Reduce the shaking of the barrel. Also you can see that the gun is an 2A72 30mm gun.

    Missiles, from diametre alone you can see those are Kornets.


    How does it actually reduce shaking? Does the end of the shroud contact the barrel using a rail or tube?

    I don't know, but it looks like a friction and support sleeve like the one that was tried on the ATOM APC.

    I thought having a floating barrel was all the rage, making guns more accurate, etc. Doesn't the same rule apply to auto cannons?
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3982
    Points : 3999
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:00 am

    Zivo wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    Zivo wrote:So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Reduce the shaking of the barrel. Also you can see that the gun is an 2A72 30mm gun.

    Missiles, from diametre alone you can see those are Kornets.


    How does it actually reduce shaking? Does the end of the shroud contact the barrel using a rail or tube?

    I don't know, but it looks like a friction and support sleeve like the one that was tried on the ATOM APC.

    I thought having a floating barrel was all the rage, making guns more accurate, etc. Doesn't the same rule apply to auto cannons?

    Floating barrels on what? Rifles...sure, auto-canons? Not exactly. The imparted energy from a 30mm round is something else than from a 7.62 cartridge.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18090
    Points : 18650
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  GarryB on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:03 am

    Definitely not Krisantema, the length of those launchers alone confirms that.

    I suspect they will likely adapt Krisantema by making it a larger calibre at some stage... the length of the containers is difficult to gauge due to the angle.

    Seem to be it armed 30mm gun, not 57mm.

    yes, the 2A72 cannon has a ring around it near the muzzle which would make it appear a rather larger calibre than it actually is.

    So in this application, what does the large barrel shroud actually do?

    Support to reduce vibration during firing.

    The BMP-3 has a similar support attached to the barrel of the 100mm rifled gun.

    How does it actually reduce shaking? Does the end of the shroud contact the barrel using a rail or tube?

    Reduces vibration.

    I don't know, but it looks like a friction and support sleeve like the one that was tried on the ATOM APC.

    Also the Kliver turret and the BMP-3.

    I thought having a floating barrel was all the rage, making guns more accurate, etc. Doesn't the same rule apply to auto cannons?

    A solid support can be better than a free floating barrel.... hense bipods and MG stands are popular for machine guns and automatic weapons.




    This view of the BMP-3s main gun arrangement shows two straps around the 100mm gun... one at the muzzle of the 30mm cannon and another a little further back with a sleeve around the 30mm cannon barrel between those two straps.

    A [full length] sleeve reduces IR signature and reduces the ability of the gun to vibrate at random.

    kopyo-21

    Posts : 188
    Points : 190
    Join date : 2013-08-21
    Location : Bangkok - Thailand

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  kopyo-21 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:43 pm

    This view of the BMP-3s main gun arrangement shows two straps around the 100mm gun... one at the muzzle of the 30mm cannon and another a little further back with a sleeve around the 30mm cannon barrel between those two straps.

    A [full length] sleeve reduces IR signature and reduces the ability of the gun to vibrate at random.

    The two rings on 2A72 barrel are for sliding and recoiling in the tube that  fixed on the 2A70 barrel. 2A72 gun aimed for BMP-3, paralel and attached to 2A70 barrel since the first time so everything had been designed with that in mind.
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1633
    Points : 1628
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  AlfaT8 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:37 pm

    GarryB wrote:
    Definitely not Krisantema, the length of those launchers alone confirms that.

    I suspect they will likely adapt Krisantema by making it a larger calibre at some stage... the length of the containers is difficult to gauge due to the angle.

    Extremely unlikely that it's Krisantema, even angled.
    avatar
    TheArmenian

    Posts : 1815
    Points : 1966
    Join date : 2011-09-14

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  TheArmenian on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 pm

    I opened a new photo thread about the Army-2016 Exhibition that opened today.

    http://www.russiadefence.net/t5346-army-2016-exhibition-photos-videos-and-discussions#174463

    Here is a sharper photo of the new module from the above thread.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 18090
    Points : 18650
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    New weapon system. The amount of new turrets coming out of the russian MIC is getting ridiculous.

    Post  GarryB on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:45 pm

    Extremely unlikely that it's Krisantema, even angled.

    I agree, but I suggest that the Krisantema has a larger warhead than the Ataka it replaced and I suspect to further improve range and penetration a calibre increase at some stage is not unlikely.

    avatar
    Benya

    Posts : 527
    Points : 529
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Benya on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 pm

    Book. wrote:New Gas-Turbine Engine Trial Fall 2017: Arctic IFV Rytsar
    Here: http://mil.today/2017/Arctic1/

    Development of advanced infantry fighting vehicle (IFV) Rytsar equipped with gas-turbine engine and electric transmission is under way; trials of the combat vehicle are scheduled in the falls, an insider in the Concern Tractor Plants told Mil.Today.

    According to the interviewee, the Rytsar IFV is being created by JSC Special Machine Building Design Bureau, virtually, on its own initiative. Currently, the project is at the "payment stage", the vehicle components are being designed. Moreover, creation of the new IFV coincides with the concern’s reorganization process, the spokesman added

    The Russian Defense Ministry plans to deploy the perspective vehicle in the Arctic where the gas turbine powerplant will operate better than the diesel one. The military wants the Rytsar IFVs to be supplied to Arctic-based motorized infantry brigades. The new combat vehicle must be powered with 400-hp engine, and its weight will exceed 20 tons, which is heavier than BMP-3.

    The engine for Rytsar IFV has been already designed and is being tested now, but so far this powerplant develops only 380 hp, a source in the Kaluga-based experimental design bureau of motor building told Mil.Today. To increase power, the new turbine needs another supercharger and additional funding. The work on the new generator continues as well. According to the interviewee, the engine will pass from the test-bed trials to the field ones by the coming fall

    Next gen Arctic BMP?  Surprised

    20+ ton IFV  ✔️
    GTD 400 HP  ✔️

    Rytsar will be based on the T-15 heavy IFV

    http://www.armyrecognition.com/june_2017_global_defense_security_news_industry/russia_developing_new_arctic_ifv_on_t-15_chassis_81506173.html

    T-47

    Posts : 220
    Points : 220
    Join date : 2017-07-17
    Location : Planet Earth

    New Gas-Turbine Engine Trial Fall 2017: Arctic IFV Rytsar

    Post  T-47 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

    Benya wrote:
    Rytsar will be based on the T-15 heavy IFV

    http://www.armyrecognition.com/june_2017_global_defense_security_news_industry/russia_developing_new_arctic_ifv_on_t-15_chassis_81506173.html

    That means 40+ Tons!
    avatar
    Benya

    Posts : 527
    Points : 529
    Join date : 2016-06-05
    Location : Budapest, Hungary

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Benya on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 pm

    T-47 wrote:That means 40+ Tons!

    Indeed, but tonnage isn't everything. Armata platform vehicles can have wider tracks, offer more protection, can have more sensors and weaponry equipped and so on.
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2344
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:44 am

    Beginning in 2018, the Russian Army will begin upgrading the BMP-2's with the Berezhok turret



    They've also ordered a batch of 13 vehicles with the experimental "Epoch" module

    the latest combat module "Epoch" to go in the army trial operation. The Ministry of defence announced the purchase of a batch of 13 cars with the same combat unit.

    Apart from being uninhabited, the features of this module is the presence of 57-mm automatic guns and guided missiles of two types. The well known ATGM "cornet" (the last modification has a range of 8 km and can penetrate 1300 mm armor), and first demonstrated a launcher with a compact multi-purpose guided missiles "Bulat". All the photo shows 8 of these missiles, which in the stowed position placed in the firing module.

    "Bulat" designed to destroy light armored vehicles like the BMP, BTR, BRDM, self-propelled guns, and vehicles, weapon emplacements of the opponent. Not being so powerful as "Cornets", these compact missiles capable of hitting main battle tanks in the less armoured parts of the hull and turret.

    The forum "Army-2017" was shown options for the  BMP-2 and BMP-3. It is also possible to install it on the family of "Armata" and "kurganets-25" and trucks.




    more in link below
    http://vestnik-rm.ru/news-4-21509.htm
    avatar
    0nillie0

    Posts : 131
    Points : 133
    Join date : 2016-05-15
    Age : 32
    Location : Flanders, Belgium

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  0nillie0 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:09 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:Beginning in 2018, the Russian Army will begin upgrading the BMP-2's with the Berezhok turret

    They've also ordered a batch of 13 vehicles with the experimental "Epoch" module

    My problem with this mock up module is that the "Bulat" launchers appear to be blocking the line of sight of the commanders sight, assuming its a panoramic sight.
    This is not the only turret which has this issue.
    avatar
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1358
    Points : 1536
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  d_taddei2 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:15 pm

    Does anyone have info on range and penetration info on bulat
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2344
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Cyberspec on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:41 am

    0nillie0 wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:Beginning in 2018, the Russian Army will begin upgrading the BMP-2's with the Berezhok turret

    They've also ordered a batch of 13 vehicles with the experimental "Epoch" module

    My problem with this mock up module is that the "Bulat" launchers appear to be blocking the line of sight of the commanders sight, assuming its a panoramic sight.
    This is not the only turret which has this issue.

    I guess the saying "there's no free lunch" applies here....unless the launcher retracts inside the turret, which I don't think it does. But remember, the turret is unmanned

    d_taddei2 wrote:Does anyone have info on range and penetration info on bulat

    There doesn't seem to be much public info on the missile

    57mm round for the main gun (actually grenade launcher round as pointed out below)



    Last edited by Cyberspec on Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

    Sponsored content

    Re: Future of Russian IFV/AFVs

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:56 am