Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+80
kumbor
Hole
dino00
william.boutros
Admin
calripson
Nibiru
predator300029
eehnie
The-thing-next-door
GunshipDemocracy
Walther von Oldenburg
KomissarBojanchev
cap1400
Peŕrier
ZoA
runaway
Cyberspec
flamming_python
GarryB
ATLASCUB
Stealthflanker
Azi
miketheterrible
Kimppis
Yuri
T-47
HM1199
jhelb
Sochi_Olympic_Park
a-andreich
Vann7
Isos
Rmf
kvs
Viktor
JohninMK
George1
AlfaT8
hoom
headshot69
volna
A1RMAN
0nillie0
Mike E
VladimirSahin
Project Canada
KiloGolf
par far
Benya
galicije83
airstrike
xeno
Zivo
zg18
marcellogo
Pincus Shain
chicken
sepheronx
Dima
cracker
DerWolf
medo
TheArmenian
Austin
Mindstorm
max steel
OminousSpudd
higurashihougi
Big_Gazza
BKP
PapaDragon
nemrod
franco
magnumcromagnon
KoTeMoRe
x_54_u43
calm
Werewolf
Cyrus the great
84 posters

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Post  PapaDragon Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:05 pm

This is a screengrab, any chance to get the source video?

Also, Armata just keeps getting more awesome thumbsup
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 Empty Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Post  magnumcromagnon Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:13 am

PapaDragon wrote:
    This is a screengrab, any chance to get the source video?

Also, Armata just keeps getting more awesome thumbsup

BKP
    BKP

Post  BKP Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:56 pm

^ In the resizable illustrations from Otvaga, is the tank shown on the right, top row (and elsewhere), how the T-14 is projected to look when configured for the 152mm gun?

Also, what is the one on the left, 2nd row?
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Right top row is the (cancelled) Obj 195 / T-95
    No idea what the left 2nd row is.... an early Armata concept maybe?

Last edited by Big_Gazza on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:Right top row is the (cancelled) Obj 195 / T-95
    No idea what the left 2nd row is....

Buntar or Molot from mid-late 80's Soviet design of Kharkov bureau.

https://aftershock.news/?q=node/362522

Edit: Correction it seems to be "Boxer" 477A Objekt

http://btvt.narod.ru/3/molot.htm

x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm going to be crowned the captain of asking stupid questions, but I maintain that looking foolish is an integral part of learning. So here it goes:

I understand that some people have discussed the possibility of incorporating anti-aircraft missiles on the Armata, so could the turret of the T-14 Armata physically incorporate the Verba missile by housing it vertically within the unmanned turret? The space required to accommodate the Verba missile would have to be at least 1.5 meters long. I imagine that the turret could *accommodate* three Verba missiles. I know that SHORAD would better protect armored columns from aerial attacks, so I'm asking this admittedly stupid question to satisfy my own curiosity. Embarassed

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 1280px-T-14_prototype_from_above_0_zpsmvfnrhos

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 472414706_zpsnfp8szly

Post  Guest Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:49 pm

Cyrus the great wrote:

I'm going to be crowned the captain of asking stupid questions, but I maintain that looking foolish is an integral part of learning. So here it goes:

I  understand that some people have discussed the possibility of incorporating anti-aircraft missiles on the Armata, so could the turret of the T-14 Armata physically incorporate the Verba missile by housing it vertically within the unmanned turret? The space required to accommodate the Verba missile would have to be at least 1.5 meters long. I imagine that the turret could *accommodate* three Verba missiles.  I know that SHORAD would better protect armored columns from aerial attacks, so I'm asking this admittedly stupid question to satisfy my own curiosity.  Embarassed

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 1280px-T-14_prototype_from_above_0_zpsmvfnrhos

Even IF it was ever placed on Armata i dont think they would install vertical launch tubes, as it would probably affect its protection, as they would though turret be laying partially in loader. IF it was ever placed on Armata i personally would do it like its on ZSU-23-4MP Biała for an example:

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 ZSU23-4MP_Biala_MSPO09

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 4

Or like this:

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 ZSU-23-4P-Shilka-2S
    x_54_u43
    x_54_u43

Post  x_54_u43 Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Cyrus the great wrote:

I  understand that some people have discussed the possibility of incorporating anti-aircraft missiles on the Armata, so could the turret of the T-14 Armata physically incorporate the Verba missile by housing it vertically within the unmanned turret? The space required to accommodate the Verba missile would have to be at least 1.5 meters long. I imagine that the turret could *accommodate* three Verba missiles.  I know that SHORAD would better protect armored columns from aerial attacks, so I'm asking this admittedly stupid question to satisfy my own curiosity.  Embarassed

Any ground to air functionality would be well performed by the future 57mm that might be mounted to the serial T-14 or the dedicated variant of SHORADS that uses the future 57mm.

BTW the 57mm is slated for use with laser guided shells.

Verba would just be a lot of cost with not a lot of functionality outside of shooting down aircraft. Now 57mm, on the other hand, are very, very useful in a variety of roles, from anti-personnel to soft-targets to fuck everything.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 pm

The Problem you would face with trying to integrate a Verba MANPAD system on a plattform like a Tank that is a frontline (ground to ground) orientated vehicle is that it does not have Thermial Imagers made to search for threats in the sky and due that being not aware of any threats from the sky like Attack Helicopters. That would mean you would need an OLS (IRST) which cost and will have no use 99% of the time they are installed, get easily dirty and by that decrease their functionality, use and will affect the amount of budget you will have to buy new tanks or maintain them, since such systems are made of highly costly materials such as saphiric lenses and what not, very costly for a system that is still very inferior compared even to an old Tunguska. It has no economical use.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:34 am

I think you are mostly ignoring the fact that Armata is not a tank.

There will be a version of Armata that has a turret with a 125mm or later 152mm main gun that is used as a tank, but there will be Pantsir-SM and Tunguska and TOR versions and as mentioned above a 57mm armed version used for infantry transport... an IFV... the Tunguska replacement will likely also have 57mm guns as well because in the anti air role a 57mm cannon shell killing air targets to 12km makes it a very potent gun, and with the air search capabilities it will be effective in the role too.

I rather suspect with the data communication and battle management systems all Armatas will carry that a new model Svir or Sokol-1 or improved version of either... perhaps incorporating scramjet propulsion might offer superior performance to any MANPADS through the main gun with net centric data from a range of platforms offering the situational awareness to use them at 10km or beyond.

A standard MBT will not defend itself from aircraft... there will be IFVs and SPAAGs and short range systems armed with SOSNA-R and Morfei and Pantsir and TOR missiles doing that.
    Big_Gazza
    Big_Gazza

Post  Big_Gazza Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:59 pm

Werewolf wrote:The Problem you would face with trying to integrate a Verba MANPAD system on a plattform like a Tank that is a frontline (ground to ground) orientated vehicle is that it does not have Thermial Imagers made to search for threats in the sky and due that being not aware of any threats from the sky like Attack Helicopters. That would mean you would need an OLS (IRST) which cost and will have no use 99% of the time they are installed, get easily dirty and by that decrease their functionality, use and will affect the amount of budget you will have to buy new tanks or maintain them, since such systems are made of highly costly materials such as saphiric lenses and what not, very costly for a system that is still very inferior compared even to an old Tunguska. It has no economical use.

Additionally, doesn't a Verba need to lock its IR seeker onto a target prior to launch? If so, this suggests that it cannot be launched from VLS.
    Werewolf
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:55 pm

GarryB wrote:I think you are mostly ignoring the fact that Armata is not a tank.

There will be a version of Armata that has a turret with a 125mm or later 152mm main gun that is used as a tank, but there will be Pantsir-SM and Tunguska and TOR versions and as mentioned above a 57mm armed version used for infantry transport... an IFV... the Tunguska replacement will likely also have 57mm guns as well because in the anti air role a 57mm cannon shell killing air targets to 12km makes it a very potent gun, and with the air search capabilities it will be effective in the role too.

I rather suspect with the data communication and battle management systems all Armatas will carry that a new model Svir or Sokol-1 or improved version of either... perhaps incorporating scramjet propulsion might offer superior performance to any MANPADS through the main gun with net centric data from a range of platforms offering the situational awareness to use them at 10km or beyond.

A standard MBT will not defend itself from aircraft... there will be IFVs and SPAAGs and short range systems armed with SOSNA-R and Morfei and Pantsir and TOR missiles doing that.

I understand entirely, but Armata the name is now, falsely, but non the less a synonyme for T-14. The Armata is the modular based hull, however what he meant was the T-14 being equipped with Verba MANPAD. The battlefield is a combined arms warfare where all the little cogs fit in their intented use and maximize their potential in offensive/defensive capabilities, therefore in no structure of military units is a system like VERBA necessary to be installed as a vertical launcher on a Tank.

Big_Gazza wrote:Additionally, doesn't a Verba need to lock its IR seeker onto a target prior to launch? If so, this suggests that it cannot be launched from VLS.

It probably does need a LOBL but maybe it can be linked to IRST with some upgrade.

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:48 pm

Big_Gazza wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:The Problem you would face with trying to integrate a Verba MANPAD system on a plattform like a Tank that is a frontline (ground to ground) orientated vehicle is that it does not have Thermial Imagers made to search for threats in the sky and due that being not aware of any threats from the sky like Attack Helicopters. That would mean you would need an OLS (IRST) which cost and will have no use 99% of the time they are installed, get easily dirty and by that decrease their functionality, use and will affect the amount of budget you will have to buy new tanks or maintain them, since such systems are made of highly costly materials such as saphiric lenses and what not, very costly for a system that is still very inferior compared even to an old Tunguska. It has no economical use.

Additionally, doesn't a Verba need to lock its IR seeker onto a target prior to launch?  If so, this suggests that it cannot be launched from VLS.

You can feed it into missile externally i belive.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 am

As far as shorad missile compromising armor density, I don't think it has to be. Turret bustle could be the place to store the shorad missile and launcher, with a mechanism in the rear of the bustle that could set the missile launcher at a 45 to 90 degree position, though I would recommend the IR seeker guidance being replaced with a laser beam riding channel in the rear of the missile, and or a radio command version similar to the Kristamum system. Turret bustle could also be the place for a smaller MLRS system such as a modernized BM-14 system, to rapidly engage soft-skin and human targets.
    Vann7

Post  Vann7 Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:25 am

Big_Gazza wrote:

Additionally, doesn't a Verba need to lock its IR seeker onto a target prior to launch?  If so, this suggests that it cannot be launched from VLS.

somewhere it was said the Verba can operate in fire and forget mode. And can connect its mini radar to the defense network of any nation. So if confirmed, they can shut down any civil
    higurashihougi
    higurashihougi

Post  higurashihougi Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:24 am

Actually I am more curious about the BMPT version of Armata. It will be similar to what Garry described or it will looks more like the old Terminator ?
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:07 am

higurashihougi wrote:Actually I am more curious about the BMPT version of Armata. It will be similar to what Garry described or it will looks more like the old Terminator ?

I want it to look like the old Terminator or obvious reasons. Very Happy
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:41 am

Big Gazza is right... to be vertically launched the system needs an autopilot and some way of acquiring the target after it is launched... most radar guided missiles like SARH or ARH are launched and then either start looking and find an illuminated target in the case of the SARH or scan for the target themselves in the case of the ARH both after being directed to the area the target is located by autopilot.

In this case however the Verba requires a view of the target before it can be launched so unless the target is directly above the tank then there would be no launch.

New missiles like Morfei will use an Imaging IR seeker and a datalink so it can be launched and directed towards where the target is before looking itself and locking onto the target... ie lock on after launch or LOAL.

somewhere it was said the Verba can operate in fire and forget mode. And can connect its mini radar to the defense network of any nation. So if confirmed, they can shut down any civil

All Verbas are heat seeking and operate in a fire and forget mode... just like all Igla-S, Igla-1, Igla, and the Strelas before them. None of them have mini radars, but can use nearby radars to cue the operator to point the missile in the correct direction ready for use.

The idea that in the future a MBT might have small self defence missiles is not actually that far fetched as a trailer with Morphei could be used to shoot down threats like anti armour missiles, but for the moment the Afghanistan APS should suffice and of course any anti aircraft missile would more easily be fired through the main gun to greater ranges than the Verba is effective to.

Remember against helos some existing ATGMs fired through 125mm gun tubes have a range of 8km with a lofted trajectory even though their anti armour range is 5.5km.

A newer ramjet powered model could probably be used to much greater range... fit it with the seeker of the Morfei and you could probably hit targets at enormous distances...

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:54 pm

OminousSpudd wrote:
    higurashihougi wrote:Actually I am more curious about the BMPT version of Armata. It will be similar to what Garry described or it will looks more like the old Terminator ?

I want it to look like the old Terminator or obvious reasons. Very Happy

I am not rly sure about it happening. We already have T15, which has 30mm cannon and ATGMs and is on tank platform, that basically covers the idea behind Terminator.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:12 am

Militarov wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:

Even IF it was ever placed on Armata i dont think they would install vertical launch tubes, as it would probably affect its protection, as they would though turret be laying partially in loader. IF it was ever placed on Armata i personally would do it like its on ZSU-23-4MP Biała for an example:

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 ZSU23-4MP_Biala_MSPO09

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 4

Or like this:

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 ZSU-23-4P-Shilka-2S

I understand now that vertical launch tubes would be an altogether bad idea. Your suggestions would not negatively impact the armour protection of the turret, but it does seem as though they would increase the profile of the Armata. The profile of the Armata is just perfect. Thanks for the picture, mate.
    Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:40 am

x_54_u43 wrote:
    Cyrus the great wrote:

Any ground to air functionality would be well performed by the future 57mm that might be mounted to the serial T-14 or the dedicated variant of SHORADS that uses the future 57mm.

BTW the 57mm is slated for use with laser guided shells.

Verba would just be a lot of cost with not a lot of functionality outside of shooting down aircraft. Now 57mm, on the other hand, are very, very useful in a variety of roles, from anti-personnel to soft-targets to fuck everything.

You're right, the 57mm is infinitely better suited (and cheaper) for that task than MANPADS. The 57mm would also have a far longer range -- making it more effective. The various anti-aircraft systems would more effectively protect armoured columns and soldiers from aerial attack in combined arms operations. Being so fixated on missiles, I forgot just how potent the 57mm is. Thanks for answering my question, mate.

Cyrus the great

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:58 am

I definitely get what you're saying, mate:

A tank (like any other platform) in a modern military doesn't operate in a vacuum but as part of a combined arms team, with each element of that team operating more effectively when they are assigned to execute their intended role (s). Russia undoubtedly has the best air defence systems in the world and so its armoured columns won't be under any threat. Thanks for the thorough explanation, Werewolf. Thanks, mate.
    Cyrus the great

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 Empty incorporating anti-aircraft missiles on the Armata

Post  Cyrus the great Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:21 am

GarryB wrote:I think you are mostly ignoring the fact that Armata is not a tank.

Too right, Garry. As you point out, armoured vehicles and SHORAD would work together to ensure that there are no gaps in the formation. Scramjet assisted missiles could reach speeds of 2, 000 meters per second, with the Verba being comparatively slow at 500 mps. The Sokol-1 has a max range of 12 km and so a scramjet assisted Sokol-1 missile would be absolutely devastating against helicopters.

You and Werewolf are the best. Very informative posts. Thanks, mate.
    Project Canada

Post  Project Canada Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:02 pm

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4 - Page 2 12957671_1159931614056868_7567448932243653633_o

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:56 am