Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Share
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 871
    Points : 951
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 30
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Stealthflanker on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:34 pm

    ult wrote:

    That should be the IFV variant. looking at the position of drive sprocket..hmm Front mounted engine.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5266
    Points : 5471
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:39 pm

    That almost looked like automatic mortar 2B1 and not a cannon.
    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 12236
    Points : 12715
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  George1 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:33 pm

    Werewolf wrote:That almost looked like automatic mortar 2B1 and not a cannon.

    maybe it has a like BMPT Terminator armament, not a cannon, but other sort of weaponry as IFV
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4517
    Points : 4676
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:49 pm

    Stealthflanker wrote:
    ult wrote:

    That should be the IFV variant.  looking at the position of drive sprocket..hmm Front mounted engine.

    Plus the steeply sloped frontal hull resembles this speculative configuration of Armata:



    avatar
    George1

    Posts : 12236
    Points : 12715
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  George1 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 pm

    can u please post the photo at 800x600 scale?
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5563
    Points : 5575
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  TR1 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:21 pm

    Breathing heavily intensifies.
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Zivo on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 pm

    We're so spoiled. Smile
    avatar
    magnumcromagnon

    Posts : 4517
    Points : 4676
    Join date : 2013-12-05
    Location : Pindos ave., Pindosville, Pindosylvania, Pindostan

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:42 pm

    George1 wrote:can u please post the photo at 800x600 scale?

    How's this?

    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Zivo on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:28 pm

    Right click the image you want to post, then select "view image" or whatever, it'll open a new window. Then right click the rescaled image in the new window and select "view image info", this will open a new window. Under dimensions, this particular image says: "1,500px × 1,125px (scaled to 849px × 637px)"

    Go to the forum window, click the "insert an image" button, paste the url, and under width and height, paste the scaled numbers, 849 x 637. That way the image isn't squished and is reduced to a reasonable size. That's how I do it, I'm sure other posters have their own ways. I use Firefox, your browser may be different.

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5266
    Points : 5471
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:24 am

    Plus the steeply sloped frontal hull resembles this speculative configuration of Armata:

    Probably extra armor because of the front mounted engine.


    What are your guesses...

    Will russia be so open and naive to show its new APS on Armata or Kurganetz or will they remove any APS system along with Radar to keep it secret as long as necessary?
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2347
    Points : 2504
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Cyberspec on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:37 am

    Werewolf wrote:Will russia be so open and naive to show its new APS on Armata or Kurganetz or will they remove any APS system along with Radar to keep it secret as long as necessary?

    Might be already mounted

    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5266
    Points : 5471
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 am

    Cyberspec wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:Will russia be so open and naive to show its new APS on Armata or Kurganetz or will they remove any APS system along with Radar to keep it secret as long as necessary?

    Might be already mounted


    Touché.
    avatar
    Zivo

    Posts : 1488
    Points : 1514
    Join date : 2012-04-13
    Location : U.S.A.

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Zivo on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:48 am

    What are your guesses...

    The engine and transmission placement means the glacis is going to have to be thinner. The Merk IV has the same problem. To compensate, they added a spaced armor module.

    Might be already mounted

    Two separate units on the same side?
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2347
    Points : 2504
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Cyberspec on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:08 am

    Hard to say for sure....the pic is pretty blurry
    avatar
    TR1

    Posts : 5563
    Points : 5575
    Join date : 2011-12-06

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  TR1 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:05 am

    http://s018.radikal.ru/i502/1503/e8/9ffb4aeadb2b.jpg

    The predecessor.
    avatar
    flamming_python

    Posts : 3336
    Points : 3420
    Join date : 2012-01-30

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  flamming_python on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 am

    TR1 wrote:http://s018.radikal.ru/i502/1503/e8/9ffb4aeadb2b.jpg

    The predecessor.

    It's the Chinese nuclear tank from C&C: Generals! Very Happy
    All it needs is a second barrel.

    Man this thing is just excessive. Now I can see why they cancelled the project.

    The current Armata concept is a lot more sensible and cost-effective.
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 22
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  collegeboy16 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 am

    Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Holy Shieetttt!!!! i come here after a week of school and find this!!! armatas, kurganets and even T-95. mein gott weinachten came early this year!!! one of the three is enough fap material to last me through the holy week but three, om. Razz

    victor1985

    Posts : 649
    Points : 680
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  victor1985 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:54 am

    I saw most of tanks have their weight concentrated to middle or back. Especially to armata i saw is concentrate to back. How that affect the adherence to road? Most important when reaching a hill. Or close to vertical pieces of road.
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 22
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  collegeboy16 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 am

    Werewolf wrote:
    I do believe that this is an entirely different turret and not the MBT turret at all. We know that the chassis are unified, but all people jumped immidiatley to the conclusion that this is T-14 MBT due the 7 road wheels. To me it does not represent the concept. The turret seems rather small for autloader with after turret bustle feeding system. The concept on T-64/80 and T-72/90 was two seperated ammunitions which are made of paper like material that are highly flammable, due this kind of ammunition the entire internal volume had to be reduced, meaning no fuel inside the vehicle, no pipes inside that could catch fire and end fatal for tank and crew. This turret seems tall, but rather shorter than expected and i don't think it houses a horizontal autoloader but a vertical one from the hull of it with seperated ammunition and propellant, from the looks of it, the chassis is larger than T-72/90 which means the fuel is back inside of the chassis which means non seperated ammunition, which probably means hard case ammunition will be used.
    That is the reason i doubt that this is T-14 turret.

    use of hard cased (and i assume unitary as well) ammo is pathetic step backwards. the current trend is liquid propellant/ ETC guns and i believe next iteration of the 2a82-1m is going to be just that. a brass case would be unnecessary and would even impede performance. besides, there is plenty of room for 32 shells and their propellant especially to have their own fully covered cassette in the AL compartment.
    avatar
    Werewolf

    Posts : 5266
    Points : 5471
    Join date : 2012-10-24

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Werewolf on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:07 am

    collegeboy16 wrote:
    Werewolf wrote:
    I do believe that this is an entirely different turret and not the MBT turret at all. We know that the chassis are unified, but all people jumped immidiatley to the conclusion that this is T-14 MBT due the 7 road wheels. To me it does not represent the concept. The turret seems rather small for autloader with after turret bustle feeding system. The concept on T-64/80 and T-72/90 was two seperated ammunitions which are made of paper like material that are highly flammable, due this kind of ammunition the entire internal volume had to be reduced, meaning no fuel inside the vehicle, no pipes inside that could catch fire and end fatal for tank and crew. This turret seems tall, but rather shorter than expected and i don't think it houses a horizontal autoloader but a vertical one from the hull of it with seperated ammunition and propellant, from the looks of it, the chassis is larger than T-72/90 which means the fuel is back inside of the chassis which means non seperated ammunition, which probably means hard case ammunition will be used.
    That is the reason i doubt that this is T-14 turret.

    use of hard cased (and i assume unitary as well) ammo is pathetic step backwards. the current trend is liquid propellant/ ETC guns and i believe next iteration of the 2a82-1m is going to be just that. a brass case would be unnecessary and would even impede performance. besides, there is plenty of room for 32 shells and their propellant especially to have their own fully covered cassette in the AL compartment.

    What trend? There is not a single gun on tanks that uses liquid propellants.
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 22
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  collegeboy16 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am

    victor1985 wrote:I saw most of tanks have their weight concentrated to middle or back. Especially to armata i saw is concentrate to back. How that affect the adherence to road? Most important when reaching a hill. Or close to vertical pieces of road.
    i think its opposite- the MBT at least looks to me to be a bit front heavy, what with the the big support devices on the the two front rollers. most MBTs are front heavy anyway- the massive turret and now frontal hull armor would always outweigh the engine at the back. and afaik Merkava 4 which defo takes the cake for front heaviness performs well when going uphill- the extra weight seems to add more traction at the front, making the climb easier.
    avatar
    collegeboy16

    Posts : 1145
    Points : 1146
    Join date : 2012-10-05
    Age : 22
    Location : Roanapur

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  collegeboy16 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:12 am

    Werewolf wrote:

    What trend? There is not a single gun on tanks that uses liquid propellants.
    well its definitely on the christmas list for next gen tanks- esp. now this mother just exploded in the net.

    victor1985

    Posts : 649
    Points : 680
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  victor1985 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:08 pm

    In the images i saw the turret of armata is bigger in back and is sloped in front. That gives a extra weight to back. Also notice that the armour of tank is very sloped in front thus less thicker. Normally the ammunition must be placed in front of armata cause the high angled armour gives enough protection. To compensate the weight of engine that is also necesary. Now i do t know how much the autoloader will weight. Also the fuel weights a lot....
    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 871
    Points : 951
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 30
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Stealthflanker on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:45 pm

    I'm curious about autoloader layout. Given the longer penetrator length envisaged for Armata or T-95..the T-72 or T-80 carousel may no longer be used so other layout must be used. One option is to use bustle OR carousel autoloader similar as old US M1TTB unmanned turret prototype.

    This is M1TTB autoloader layout




    Such layout is efficient as it stores more rounds than T-72 layout and allow around 1.1 meter vertical space for rounds BUT.. the loading sequence somewhat more complex than T-72 or T-80. Might affect fire rate in my view.

    victor1985

    Posts : 649
    Points : 680
    Join date : 2015-01-02

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  victor1985 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:05 pm

    But what whit a magnetic autoloader? Or like in the pistol whit a spring that push all row of missiles. Also one problem is time of fill the tank whit projectiles. In war time is efficient to have less time between empty munition and fill and go back to fight.

    Sponsored content

    Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 pm