Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

GarryB

Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  GarryB on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 am

Interesting armament... in the first and second photo the side mounted missiles seem to be two Krisantema/ataka/shturm missiles and two presumably either Igla or Verba SAMs, but the main gun appears to have a large calibre but a relatively thin barrel wall... suggesting a low pressure weapon... yet the long barrel suggests extended range... I would guess either a 30mm grenade launcher or a 40mm grenade launcher. The third photo clearly shows the muzzle weight of the 2A72 30mm autocannon and comparing its size with the other guns the other guns could be 40mm or even 57mm calibre.
    medo

Post  medo on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:49 am

Maybe robots presented to Putin have mock up turrets. Anyway, I find it quite interesting to see both ATGMs and Igla missile on the same turret together with 2A72 gun. Like multi functional BMPT robot.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Looks like Kamaz wants to replace MAZ trucks for the strategic rocket troops:

..And for good reason seeing how in the past 8 months Lukoshenko is looking more and more like a knucklehead, defending Porkyshenko's actions and now wanting to mend relations with the U.S. State Dept despite the fact that they tried to finance a color revolution against him. He's the polar opposite of Nazarbayev, he's as stupid as stupid could be!
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:43 am

Maybe robots presented to Putin have mock up turrets. Anyway, I find it quite interesting to see both ATGMs and Igla missile on the same turret together with 2A72 gun. Like multi functional BMPT robot.

Perhaps its variety of weapons suggests a perimeter guard robot or perhaps even an ambush robot that can defend itself from aircraft, ground vehicles, and of course infantry.

the early prototype has a very large calibre tube gun... perhaps it is the 57mm grenade launcher that has been shown as competition for the 40mm Balkan?

ie:

Viktor

Post  Viktor on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:50 pm

Effective and easy to build en masse thumbsup

The construction of storage facilities in North Ossetia
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:11 pm

Presentation of the system KLEVOK.
    I think it is the HERMES missile (based on Pantsir)

nemrod

Dmitry Gorenburg : Capabilities of the Russian ground forces

Post  nemrod on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:04 pm

http://russiamil.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/capabilities-of-the-russian-ground-forces/
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:28 pm

A lot of it this guy just pulled out of his ass

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 am

Interesting video of the new RUssian military headquaters ?
    THe building looks very high tech.. and its seems Putin takes very seroiusly the possibility of a
    war in Ukraine , and or a limited one against the west because of the militarization of the borders.

Viktor

Post  Viktor on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Its nice to have from time to time confirmations of major purchases specialy after major geopolitical/political/economy events and in that regard Very Happy

Ground forces of the Russian Federation until 2020 will receive more than 5,000 new and upgraded about 6,000 samples of armored military vehicles, as well as about 14 thousand units of modern automotive engineering samples.

He added that for equipping military units and formations of the Ground Forces in addition to new equipment planned to buy the upgraded T-72B3, infantry fighting vehicles BMP-3, modernized BMP-2, BTR-82A. Commander in chief also noted that for the Army restored the BMP-3 and BTR-90.

LINK

5000 new armort
    6000 modernized armor
    14 000 trucks

by 2020 russia
    George1

Post  George1 on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 pm

I think T-72B3s were preferred than new T-90s. To start BTR-90 production hasnt any sense for me since soon Boomerang series will enter service
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:49 pm

George1 wrote:I think T-72B3s were preferred than new T-90s. To start BTR-90 production hasnt any sense for me since soon Boomerang series will enter service

There are lots of T-72B already avaible that can be modernized to B3 standard and why notspare some money that can be than thrown on Armata if the machince is good enough.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 pm

Viktor wrote:
    George1 wrote:I think T-72B3s were preferred than new T-90s. To start BTR-90 production hasnt any sense for me since soon Boomerang series will enter service

There are lots of T-72B already avaible that can be modernized to B3 standard and why notspare some money that can be than thrown on Armata if the machince is good enough.

Since the last reports that Armata is overprized i think they are doing that on purpose, purchasing T-72B3/90 while overtime UVZ has to lower the price for Armata otherwise they won't sell it. High cost of modern equipment is most of the time the reason why always new modern technologies arrive in active service many years behind their completion and combat readiness, not all but very often.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 am

Since the last reports that Armata is overprized i think they are doing that on purpose, purchasing T-72B3/90 while overtime UVZ has to lower the price for Armata

UVZ upgrades the tanks and builds the new ones.

Upgrading existing tanks with new systems developed for the Armata makes sense as larger production runs means cheaper production over time and getting new technology into service will improve training.

New comms and systems in the upgraded vehicles means introduction of armata is less urgent, and soldier can train and get experience with night and all weather combat.

also communicating with artillery and CAS aircraft (fixed wing and rotary) is a new skill they can learn down to tactical level.

Hopefully with Ratnik - tanks and IFVs and UAVs and Havocs and Hokums and Frogfoot aircraft and rocket and tube artillery vehicles can all share a digital view of the target with the troops on the ground and the troops can highlight enemy positions and guide firepower much more accurately than before.

With the digital communications in place they can practise now on T-90Ms and upgraded T-72s and BMP-3Ms and BMD-4Ms so that when the next gen vehicles are available they will be ready and the cost of the neat extras will have gone down a little with mass production.

Remember the long range optics and radar and other equipment on the armata MBT will also be deployed on the Kurganets and Boomerang and Typhoon MBT too.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:35 am

Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:13 am

+1 Thanks

Where the heck did you found those?
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:01 am

Werewolf wrote:+1 Thanks

Where the heck did you found those?

MP.net, in the Russian military photos thread...the only reason to ever check that site out...I stay no more than 3 minutes on the website at any given time.
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:08 am

Found this on the net a suppossed T-90 modification testbed.

TR1

Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:13 am

Mp.net stole those photos from Otvaga.

And yes, finally photos of long rumored "Trezubets" and the better known "Kerner".
    Werewolf

Post  Werewolf on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:24 am

TR1 wrote:Mp.net stole those photos from Otvaga.

And yes, finally photos of long rumored "Trezubets" and the better known "Kerner".

I thought 3UBR8 is Kerner or 11?
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:39 pm

Werewolf wrote:
    TR1 wrote:Mp.net stole those photos from Otvaga.

I thought 3UBR8 is Kerner or 11?

Yes UBR8, UBR11 is Trezubets. Not a brand new round mind you....

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Vann7 wrote:

THe building looks very high tech.. and its seems Putin takes very seroiusly the possibility of a
    war in Ukraine , and or a limited one against the west because of the militarization of the borders.

After watching this video.. i was wondering..

1)IF that building is the equivalent to Russia Pentagon?

2)Also wondering if Russia have "Secret BUnkers"/locations/ alternative facilities underground that
    Russia can use in case of a war that few people is aware ?

Viktor

Post  Viktor on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:27 am

New 30 000 Grunts/per year simulatiir will be completed in two moths thumbsup

Russia will complete combat training center in Mulino without Rheinmetall
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:55 am

A contribution from our very own Cap'n Caz:

sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:16 am

Vann7 wrote:
    Vann7 wrote:

After watching this video.. i was wondering..

1)IF that building is the equivalent to Russia Pentagon?

2)Also wondering if Russia have "Secret BUnkers"/locations/ alternative facilities underground that
    Russia can use in case of a war that few people is aware ?  

If we knew of secret bunkers, it wouldn't be so secret, now would it? pirat

That said, I imagine they do as there were plenty "discovered" by population after end of cold war. Technically, the metro stations would act as bunkers. There is still rumor of Metro 2 station (where the creators of Metro 2033 got idea from) exist and it wouldn't faze me if there are underground military complexes built into the mountains of various locations through out Russia. Pakistan has an airforce base built into some mountains, Nazi Germany built the V2 Rockets in a mountain complex, that even had a train line going to it, USA has Cheyenne Mountain (Where my father got his orders from when he worked for the airforce). Rumors fly since the 90's of Mount Yamantau in Russia being military bases holding couple of garrisons and being a military closed town for 30,000 people.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:10 am