Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:09 pm

    KiloGolf]
    JohninMK wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Tartous : Russian warships, submarines and destroyers reach the coast of Tartus for maneuvers in 30/7

    what are they doing? Navy parade in Syria? dunno
    Almost certainly a parade, like St Petersburg

    This can only mean one thing, Tartous will become a proper Naval Base russia

    They already said it would. 12 ships or subs will be able to dock simultaneously, nuclear ones included.

    They already built concrete barriers around it and are overhauling the place.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2509
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  KiloGolf on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:11 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf]
    JohninMK wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Tartous : Russian warships, submarines and destroyers reach the coast of Tartus for maneuvers in 30/7

    what are they doing? Navy parade in Syria? dunno
    Almost certainly a parade, like St Petersburg

    This can only mean one thing, Tartous will become a proper Naval Base russia

    They already said it would. 12 ships or subs will be able to dock simultaneously, nuclear ones included.

    They already built concrete barriers around it and are overhauling the place.

    any schematic of how it would look like?

    PS. the forum is under a spam-post attack affraid
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:....
    any schematic of how it would look like?

    PS. the forum is under a spam-post attack affraid

    Not that I know about. And it's not likely that they will be posting that stuff online.

    Remember how when this whole thing started there were constantly bringing journalists to Hmeim airbase to film everything?

    The moment they decided to stay there in the long run all press visits stopped and they started fixing and expanding the place.

    When crew from Zvezda TV made that recent documentary they hardly showed anything useful at all with exception of several aerial shots of living quarters (which are now HUGE). Everything else was filmed from very narrow angles and mostly during night time, especially drone related areas. Not even aircraft maintenance zone was shown, just AA systems and runway.

    I assume Tartus will be just as hush-hush.
    kvs
    kvs

    Posts : 4967
    Points : 5092
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  kvs on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:10 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:....
    any schematic of how it would look like?

    PS. the forum is under a spam-post attack affraid

    Not that I know about. And it's not likely that they will be posting that stuff online.

    Remember how when this whole thing started there were constantly bringing journalists to Hmeim airbase to film everything?

    The moment they decided to stay there in the long run all press visits stopped and they started fixing and expanding the place.

    When crew from Zvezda TV made that recent documentary they hardly showed anything useful at all with exception of several aerial shots of living quarters (which are now HUGE). Everything else was filmed from very narrow angles and mostly during night time, especially drone related areas. Not even aircraft maintenance zone was shown, just AA systems and runway.

    I assume Tartus will be just as hush-hush.

    I don't see any journalist covering details about US bases around the world. Including the "secret" ones it has in Turkey and Syria.
    Good move on Russia's part.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2509
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  KiloGolf on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 pm

    kvs wrote:I don't see any journalist covering details about US bases around the world.   Including the "secret" ones it has in Turkey and Syria.
    Good move on Russia's part.

    Only just recently Turkish media exposed the entire collection of US bases in SDF territory.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:31 pm

    Only information we will get from now on on either site is from random satellite photos.
    KiloGolf
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2509
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  KiloGolf on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:40 pm

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DFardTjXcAEEQ1t
    Syria frontlines‏ @SyriaWarReports Jul 23
    More
    Russian frigate "Admiral Essen" (11356 project) in #Tartus, #Syria
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:57 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:
    Russian frigate "Admiral Essen" (11356 project) in #Tartus, #Syria
    [/quote]
    Note the heli deck awning. Almost certainly going to host a reception for local dignitaries.

    US carrier in Portsmouth has just cleared its hanger deck to do the same.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:50 am

    JohninMK wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Russian frigate "Admiral Essen" (11356 project) in #Tartus, #Syria
    Note the heli deck awning. Almost certainly going to host a reception for local dignitaries.

    US carrier in Portsmouth has just cleared its hanger deck to do the same.[/quote]

    Confirmed

    Ali Hamdan‏ @AliHa_Abubassel 1h1 hour ago

    Tartus hotels are crowded with people from other provinces to watch the russian navy parade tomorrow


    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DF7c_MgXoAA_5Kf
    Cyberspec
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2729
    Points : 2884
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:15 am

    12 ISIS tankers were destroyed by the Russian Air Force during SAA offensive on Uqayribat in the province of Hama
    .
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 am

    latest sat image (15 Jul 2017) shows 33 jets at the Russian Air Base in Latakia: 11 Su-24, 3 Su-25, 3+6 Su-27/35, 4 Su-30 and 6 Su-34 


    https://mobile.twitter.com/obretix/status/892099752355147776

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DGFfy0MXoAQm6UB



    a few more planes at the base and two new taxiways joining the two runways (the southern one still under construction)
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DGFgKLxWAAEycz3
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

    Posts : 6664
    Points : 6731
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  JohninMK on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 am

    See they are back at their QRA spot which was empty the last few piccys.

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DGFf02hXoAU-24F?format=jpg&name=small
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1566
    Points : 1744
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  d_taddei2 on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:31 pm

    The only thing missing from here is the word Mig. Russia could have easily deployed Mig-29SMT and Mig-31BM and show cased them. And there is even the possibility of even armed yak-130 being show cased using weapons out of range of anti air guns. I know mig 29K was used but media and forums only remember the mig-29k running out of fuel and crashing into the sea. Just about Everything else apart from iskander has been used.
    littlerabbit
    littlerabbit

    Posts : 66
    Points : 66
    Join date : 2017-07-03
    Location : Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  littlerabbit on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:19 pm

    Is there any chance to see T-14 or some other prototypes in Syria? Wink
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:29 pm

    18:29:09
    littlerabbit wrote:Is there any chance to see T-14 or some other prototypes in Syria? Wink

    Nope
    miketheterrible
    miketheterrible

    Posts : 3924
    Points : 3904
    Join date : 2016-11-06

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  miketheterrible on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:34 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:The only thing missing from here is the word Mig. Russia could have easily deployed Mig-29SMT and Mig-31BM and show cased them. And there is even the possibility of even armed yak-130 being show cased using weapons out of range of anti air guns. I know mig 29K  was used but media and forums only remember the mig-29k running out of fuel and crashing into the sea. Just about Everything else apart from iskander has been used.

    agreed. This could be great PR pitch for Mikoyan for Russia to transfer a couple MiG-29SMT's to Syria hopefully when some MiG-35's enter service, they are used in Syria.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 4127
    Points : 4117
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm

    JohninMK wrote:See they are back at their QRA spot which was empty the last few piccys.

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 DGFf02hXoAU-24F?format=jpg&name=small

    I've always wondered why they act so stupidly by puting all of them side by side. One small rocket could destroy all 4 fighters in one attack. Why don't they put them on different spot to reduce risks ?
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:07 pm

    Isos wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:See they are back at their QRA spot which was empty the last few piccys.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGFf02hXoAU-24F?format=jpg&name=small

    I've always wondered why they act so stupidly by puting all of them side by side. One small rocket could destroy all 4 fighters in one attack. Why don't they put them on different spot to reduce risks ?

    One small rocket from where?

    From local neighborhood? SAA would kill every single person in wider area in order to vindicate their honor. Locals know this very very well.

    From aircraft of one of neighboring nations? Who would be stupid enough for that? Remember Su-24? Turks needed all that mental gymnastic to justify it and they were still thrown under the bus instantly because everyone knew the alternative.

    From ''you know who''? Welcome nuclear Armageddon.
    Isos
    Isos

    Posts : 4127
    Points : 4117
    Join date : 2015-11-06

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  Isos on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:20 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Isos wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:See they are back at their QRA spot which was empty the last few piccys.

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGFf02hXoAU-24F?format=jpg&name=small

    I've always wondered why they act so stupidly by puting all of them side by side. One small rocket could destroy all 4 fighters in one attack. Why don't they put them on different spot to reduce risks ?

    One small rocket from where?

    From local neighborhood? SAA would kill every single person in wider area in order to vindicate their honor. Locals know this very very well.

    From aircraft of one of neighboring nations? Who would be stupid enough for that? Remember Su-24? Turks needed all that mental gymnastic to justify it and they were still thrown under the bus instantly because everyone knew the alternative.  

    From ''you know who''? Welcome nuclear Armageddon.

    There are single lunchers for grad rockets in the region in big numbers. They have a pretty big range, I don't think SAA has enough men to watch for every guy out there.

    The thing is that even without enemy fire they could be destroyed in an accident. They don't produce them like Mig-21, they have lost already 2 fighters by accident. They should pay more intention. A rocket or a dumb bomb exploding while fiting them on the fighter will destroy all the fighters for sure.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 8430
    Points : 8514
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:33 pm

    Isos wrote:..................
    There are single lunchers for grad rockets in the region in big numbers. They have a pretty big range, I don't think SAA has enough men to watch for every guy out there. ..............

    Why would SAA watch? It's not their job. Their job is to eradicate any and all locals and their relatives and neighbors who fail to observe and report anything even remotely suspicious or anyone they don't immediately recognize.

    Job of locals is to watch. And to know the consequences of failure. They are in this together. This is war, not a video game.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3765
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  medo on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:The only thing missing from here is the word Mig. Russia could have easily deployed Mig-29SMT and Mig-31BM and show cased them. And there is even the possibility of even armed yak-130 being show cased using weapons out of range of anti air guns. I know mig 29K  was used but media and forums only remember the mig-29k running out of fuel and crashing into the sea. Just about Everything else apart from iskander has been used.

    Russia will not send Yak-130 to Syria as they are still only trainers in RuAF academies. MiG-29K was used in Syria, but they had a problem in not having enough pilots experienced with carrier operations and that was the reason, why they were not used in full capabilities and why they modernized and send Su-33 to Syria. MiG-31BM is compatible with Sukhois, but it is clear air defense interceptor and most probably RuAF doesn't want to escalate situation too much and Su-30SM and Su-35 could do this job as well. On the other hand Su-27SM3 is multirole fighter with the same equipment as Su-30M2 and they want to test N001VEP radar in real combat specially in air to ground modes to prove that export Su-30MK2 are capable fighter-bombers in real combat. Maybe they will later replace Su-27SM3 with Su-30M2.

    On the other hand it is really interesting, that they didn't send MiG-29SMT as it is multirole fighter. Most probably there is a problem, that MiG-29SMT doesn't have intra flight data link like Sukhois and MiG-31, but only simple ground to air control data link as old MiG-29 fighters and could not work with full capabilities inside network with Sukhois in Syria. Only newer MiG-29K and MiG-35 got those data link capabilities and are fully compatible with network. But RuAF still succesfully works with Syrian AF, which use MiG-21, MiG-23 and Su-22 jets so MiG-29SMT could work well in Syria.

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 21369610

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 21425910

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 20898810

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 21022310
    d_taddei2
    d_taddei2

    Posts : 1566
    Points : 1744
    Join date : 2013-05-11
    Location : Scotland UK

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:47 am

    Agreed but still you would think due to increased interest in equipment being used in Syria that Russia would use other equipment to get countries interested in it also. The yak wouldn't take much to adapt to combat role. I think yak -130 would be doing better in sales if it made a combat missions in Syria. Mig-31BM could be used for escort for Tu-160, Tu-95, Tu-22M, freeing up the Su-30 & Su-35, and it would be good experience for pilots etc.
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 2208
    Points : 2202
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  Regular on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:11 pm

    I also think that YAK-130 could do wonders in Syria.
    I can't find exact video, but I've seen some training videos where they YAK did fake bombing runs on bridges and factories in Russia and it looks very advanced.
    Here's promo from YAK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B31plwTpFK8
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3765
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  medo on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:42 pm

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 47266810

    True, Yak-130 could be very useful jet in Syria. On the photo we could see Yak-130 armed fith 4 KAB-500Kr TV guided bombs. It is equipped with satelitte navigation and modern FCS computer, so it could use classical bombs with high precision as well. I don't know, if basic Yak-130 trainer is equipped with data link. I know, that upgraded Yak-130 got data link and SOLT-25 in the nose and this version would be even more useful in Syria. Maybe RuAF should upgrade few Yak-130 with SOLT-25 and data link and send them in Syria to test them and compare with Su-25.
    medo
    medo

    Posts : 3681
    Points : 3765
    Join date : 2010-10-24
    Location : Slovenia

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  medo on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 pm

    d_taddei2 wrote:Agreed but still you would think due to increased interest in equipment being used in Syria that Russia would use other equipment to get countries interested in it also. The yak wouldn't take much to adapt to combat role. I think yak -130 would be doing better in sales if it made a combat missions in Syria. Mig-31BM  could be used for escort for Tu-160, Tu-95, Tu-22M,  freeing up the Su-30 & Su-35, and it would be good experience for pilots etc.

    I think Russia doesn't want to escalate situation in Syria too much as MiG-31BM could not be used against terrorists on the ground like Su-30SM or Su-35, but could be seen only as a treat to USAF. I think they will rather increase the number of Su-30SM and Su-35 that send MiG-31BM there.

    Sponsored content

    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11 - Page 22 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #11

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:58 pm