Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+68
The Ottoman
zorobabel
Walther von Oldenburg
auslander
Shadåw
0nillie0
Acheron
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
chinggis
Hannibal Barca
Big_Gazza
Isos
ExBeobachter1987
SeigSoloyvov
Resistance
George1
Odin of Ossetia
kvs
Neutrality
Atakor
Alex555
cracker
archangelski
Project Canada
DasVivo
NationalRus
Boban
AlfaT8
Viktor
Boshoed
eehnie
franco
medo
Werewolf
Kadmos45
crod
Karl Haushofer
calm
Azi
SturmGuard
GunshipDemocracy
higurashihougi
Vann7
TheArmenian
x_54_u43
VladimirSahin
Zivo
KiloGolf
OminousSpudd
Regular
sweartome123
arpakola
par far
max steel
d_taddei2
Dima
magnumcromagnon
ultron
PapaDragon
sepheronx
HeNeArKrXeRn_
Visc
zg18
GarryB
JohninMK
Solncepek
KoTeMoRe
ult
72 posters

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9

famschopman

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9 - Page 38 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9

Post  famschopman Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:07 pm

I don't think this image is correct. It shows a possible load of 42 x FAB-250m.
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9 - Page 38 Unnamed3-fe27ac

However based on the hardpoints it can 'only' carry 22 of them. With each weighing 219kg (4.818kg) that is still a huge weight to lift.
    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9 - Page 38 Su-34_Hardpoint_%26_Armament_arrangement

I also noticed that the TU-22M only drops a few bombs each run instead of a full load (9,000 kg). Is this because the distance from Russia to Syria can only be covered by the TU-22M long range capability? If so the base in Iran would make the TU-22 unnecessary since the SU-34 takes over the role, or they still use the TU-22 but with much higher loads than we have seen before.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9 - Page 38 Empty Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9

Post  PapaDragon Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:21 pm

''Russian Warships Launch Cruise Missiles on al-Nusra Front Targets in Syria'' love russia

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160819/1044435044/russia-fleet-cruise-missiles-syria.html

Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #9 - Page 38 48484170
    calm
    calm

Post  calm Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:35 pm

^

OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:18 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:And even if they do (which US probably does), wouldn't make much of a difference since it takes time to decode messages, then transfer to the terrorists, and then terrorists prepping to leave. Russian aircraft and bombs would reach the enemy far sooner. Satellite footage isn't like hollywood, it needs to be in position and there is always a delay in information being translated and sent to the viewer.  And satellite images do not just disappear because you have another airbase, since Iran is spied on 24/7.  All this is, is giving Russia another location to fly heavier bombers from, and bomb targets. Rather than bringing those Tu-22M from direct Russia or into the Russian airbase in Syria.

The main issue here is that it's not the US that has a direct channel with JaF or ex-JaN, it's Turkey.
    And you know this how exactly? Yeah, the US doesn't share a direct channel with the radicals, they only support "moderates". Do you honestly think the US doesn't have a spiderweb of intel-sharing and control over every anti-Syrian opposition force in the region? Come on man. That's why they almost lost some of their blokes on the ground recently to a VKS strike, they bitched to high heaven about it as I recall.

I know that because the "moderates" have a long history of having direct relations with US "friends", then ending up dead from a "rival" group attack. In the last two years the "moderates" have pust space between them and the US "help", this spacing has been done by Turkey, that now is in charge of commo with Ahrar and JaN/Jaf. For Aleppo if the US was the one talking, we wouldn't have had such glorious impact of the VKS the two first days of attack (including direct hits on assault groups).  And no the US doesn't do micro-managment. It does top down control, it sponsors bigger structures, not individual groups. Now this doesn't mean they aren't responsible for "leaks" to groups, after all they know when Turkey does its shit. But to accuse the US of directly talking with AQ regarding Aleppo is stupid, not because the US doesn't want to talk with AQ, but because AQ doesn't want to become the next target for the US. Every tool exceeds its usefulness at some point. The beardies know this...

I was assuming you meant the US has no contact at all with Daesh/JaN/Jaf/FSA/AQ/Mujis/WTFTheirNameIsToday. I totally agree the US is topdown with their approach, but I am also completely convinced that they coordinate with every anti-Assad force in the region when possible, be that Blackbeards, Greenbeards, Bluebeards or Yellowbeards. I am not meaning micro per se, simply people on the ground talking with their (Moderates™) "General Staff". There is no moderate force, not anymore, so one has to ask who they're talking with outside of the PKK. I also am pretty sure the SDF is not a sizeable or capable force in any way, it is simply buffed by copious amounts of US boots-on-ground. The battle for Aleppo is a key victory, the US will be using AQ and co. to maximum effect at the moment. This isn't about the US controlling Aleppo, this is about not letting Syria control Aleppo, they don't give a dime whether or not they'll have to liberate it from Daesh later on down the track, and Daesh are way too many sandwiches short of a picnic to realize they're being used.

The US either want Aleppo held (not feasible), or they want Aviators Inc.'s victory to be Pyrrhic (very feasible). Any communication between Uncle Smeagle and his bearded man-children will be in overdrive right now. The intensification of propaganda just in the last 24hours demonstrates this as well.
    KoTeMoRe
    KoTeMoRe

Post  KoTeMoRe Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:46 am

OminousSpudd wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    sepheronx wrote:And even if they do (which US probably does), wouldn't make much of a difference since it takes time to decode messages, then transfer to the terrorists, and then terrorists prepping to leave. Russian aircraft and bombs would reach the enemy far sooner. Satellite footage isn't like hollywood, it needs to be in position and there is always a delay in information being translated and sent to the viewer.  And satellite images do not just disappear because you have another airbase, since Iran is spied on 24/7.  All this is, is giving Russia another location to fly heavier bombers from, and bomb targets. Rather than bringing those Tu-22M from direct Russia or into the Russian airbase in Syria.

The main issue here is that it's not the US that has a direct channel with JaF or ex-JaN, it's Turkey.
    And you know this how exactly? Yeah, the US doesn't share a direct channel with the radicals, they only support "moderates". Do you honestly think the US doesn't have a spiderweb of intel-sharing and control over every anti-Syrian opposition force in the region? Come on man. That's why they almost lost some of their blokes on the ground recently to a VKS strike, they bitched to high heaven about it as I recall.

I know that because the "moderates" have a long history of having direct relations with US "friends", then ending up dead from a "rival" group attack. In the last two years the "moderates" have pust space between them and the US "help", this spacing has been done by Turkey, that now is in charge of commo with Ahrar and JaN/Jaf. For Aleppo if the US was the one talking, we wouldn't have had such glorious impact of the VKS the two first days of attack (including direct hits on assault groups).  And no the US doesn't do micro-managment. It does top down control, it sponsors bigger structures, not individual groups. Now this doesn't mean they aren't responsible for "leaks" to groups, after all they know when Turkey does its shit. But to accuse the US of directly talking with AQ regarding Aleppo is stupid, not because the US doesn't want to talk with AQ, but because AQ doesn't want to become the next target for the US. Every tool exceeds its usefulness at some point. The beardies know this...

I was assuming you meant the US has no contact at all with Daesh/JaN/Jaf/FSA/AQ/Mujis/WTFTheirNameIsToday. I totally agree the US is topdown with their approach, but I am also completely convinced that they coordinate with every anti-Assad force in the region when possible, be that Blackbeards, Greenbeards, Bluebeards or Yellowbeards. I am not meaning micro per se, simply people on the ground talking with their (Moderates™) "General Staff". There is no moderate force, not anymore, so one has to ask who they're talking with outside of the PKK. I also am pretty sure the SDF is not a sizeable or capable force in any way, it is simply buffed by copious amounts of US boots-on-ground. The battle for Aleppo is a key victory, the US will be using AQ and co. to maximum effect at the moment. This isn't about the US controlling Aleppo, this is about not letting Syria control Aleppo, they don't give a dime whether or not they'll have to liberate it from Daesh later on down the track, and Daesh are way too many sandwiches short of a picnic to realize they're being used.

The US either want Aleppo held (not feasible), or they want Aviators Inc.'s victory to be Pyrrhic (very feasible). Any communication between Uncle Smeagle and his bearded man-children will be in overdrive right now. The intensification of propaganda just in the last 24hours demonstrates this as well.

Also they're not talking to the PKK, while Russia is. They talk to a sister structure, but not PKK. Also I can hardly try and sell you the lemon that the US doesn't talk to the beardies, since not farther than a month ago TOW's were found with 2015 US calibration dates...It just doesn't do direct talk with them anymore. While "FSA" and "NySa" yes they do. Also on "SDF" the problem is more complex. There the US talks directly while Turkey doesn't.
    OminousSpudd
    OminousSpudd

Post  OminousSpudd Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:59 am

KoTeMoRe wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:
    OminousSpudd wrote:
    KoTeMoRe wrote:

Also they're not talking to the PKK, while Russia is. They talk to a sister structure, but not PKK. Also I can hardly try and sell you the lemon that the US doesn't talk to the beardies, since not farther than a month ago TOW's were found with 2015 US calibration dates...It just doesn't do direct talk with them anymore. While "FSA" and "NySa" yes they do. Also on "SDF" the problem is more complex. There the US talks directly while Turkey doesn't.
    Oh I see. We're getting caught up in the "direct-talk" jargon. My bad, I certainly don't think they have instructors in the field, as that is far too risky (Steve Jobs being everywhere these days). I simply mean there is coordination on some level at all times, be that in Incirlik, some Saudi palace, or in a bunker in Syria. They have a web of communication set up, with a hierarchy that probably leaves the US looking like they were never involved. Turkey (maybe that's going to change now) /Saudi/Jordan make plausible deniability very very easy.
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:59 pm

It seems that FAB-3000 bombs have been used around Aleppo. Ouch cry

http://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/1434490.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:58 am

However based on the hardpoints it can 'only' carry 22 of them. With each weighing 219kg (4.818kg) that is still a huge weight to lift.

FAB-250s are about 250kgs, so 22 would be 5,500kgs.

It seems that FAB-3000 bombs have been used around Aleppo. Ouch

Glad to not be under that... Smile

Will be interesting if they use those old stocks up what new model weapons will be like...
    Resistance

Post  Resistance Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:34 pm

Russia really needs to up the RC department. Even Iraqi Shia Arabs have these now.

GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 am

Hahahaha... have you even watched that video?

Teflon Armour?

I suppose that is so any blood stains it gets on it will be easily cleaned off afterwards...

And the 12.7mm thermal cannon?

Looks like a WWII DShKM 12.7mm Heavy machine gun to me...

Remote control armoured vehicles are not that new... even in WWII there were remote control vehicles used to deliver bombs into enemy positions...

Actually having one that would be any use is something else.

Syria has enormous potential for testing new systems, but lets not be stupid and just send in crap because someone else is doing it too.
    Resistance

Post  Resistance Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Iran kicked Russia out of Hamedan air base.
    zepia
    zepia

Post  zepia Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Quick in quick out.

Syria Mission Complete: Russian Air Force Returns From Iran’s Hamadan Airfield

Russian aircraft involved in airstrikes against the Daesh jihadist group last week have returned home
    from western Iran after successfully completing their tasks, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said Monday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said further use of the Hamadan airfield for Russia’s anti-terrorist mission in Syria
    would be carried out in line with bilateral agreements with the Islamic republic and events on the ground.

"Russian military aircraft that took part in the operation of conducting airstrikes
    from Iran's Hamadan air base on terrorist targets in Syria have successfully completed all the tasks.
    Currently, all the Aerospace Forces aircraft involved in the mission are on Russian territory," he told reporters.

"Continued use of the Hamadan air base in the Islamic Republic of Iran by the Russian Aerospace Forces
    will be carried out on the basis of mutual agreements to combat terrorism and depending on the unfolding situation in Syria," Konashenkov said.

On August 16, Russia used the Iranian base for the first time in its anti-terrorism campaign in Syria.
    Russian Tu-22M3 long-range bombers and Su-34 strike aircraft carried out airstrikes against the jihadist groups
    Daesh and the Jabhat Fatah Al-Sham, formerly known as the Nusra Front, in Syria.

www.sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160822/1044520198/russia-iran-hamadan.html
    Resistance

Post  Resistance Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Russia needs to stop being a penny pincher and arm SAA with some Kords instead of 1930s DShKs. America always supply the best arms to its proxies.

zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:16 pm

zepia wrote:Quick in quick out.

Russian aircraft involved in airstrikes against the Daesh jihadist group last week have returned home
    from western Iran after successfully completing their tasks, the Russian Defense Ministry spokesman said Monday.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said further use of the Hamadan airfield for Russia’s anti-terrorist mission in Syria
    would be carried out in line with bilateral agreements with the Islamic republic and events on the ground.

"Russian military aircraft that took part in the operation of conducting airstrikes
    from Iran's Hamadan air base on terrorist targets in Syria have successfully completed all the tasks.
    Currently, all the Aerospace Forces aircraft involved in the mission are on Russian territory," he told reporters.

"Continued use of the Hamadan air base in the Islamic Republic of Iran by the Russian Aerospace Forces
    will be carried out on the basis of mutual agreements to combat terrorism and depending on the unfolding situation in Syria," Konashenkov said.

On August 16, Russia used the Iranian base for the first time in its anti-terrorism campaign in Syria.
    Russian Tu-22M3 long-range bombers and Su-34 strike aircraft carried out airstrikes against the jihadist groups
    Daesh and the Jabhat Fatah Al-Sham, formerly known as the Nusra Front, in Syria.

Yikes, how embarrassing.
    eehnie
    eehnie

Post  eehnie Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 pm

zorobabel wrote:
    zepia wrote:Quick in quick out.

Yikes, how embarrassing.

Embarrassing what?
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:52 am

So claims they were "kicked out" are bullshit.

They have permission to use it when they need to but wont keep aircraft there all the time.

Sounds pretty consistent with Iranian law which forbids the permanent basing of foreign military forces on their soil.

Russia needs to stop being a penny pincher and arm SAA with some Kords instead of 1930s DShKs. America always supply the best arms to its proxies.

It has nothing to do with penny pinching... why would Russia supply a weapon the Arabs don't have in service, don't know how to operate, and have no spare parts or mounts for?

A DShKM delivers a 12.7mm projectile the same as a Kord, there would be no clear advantage to providing Kord instead of weapons they already have an are already familiar with.

At least the DShKM does not have the timing and head space issues that the US 50 cal does.
    zorobabel
    zorobabel

Post  zorobabel Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 am

eehnie wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:
    Yikes, how embarrassing.

Embarrassing what?
    Because Iran's account of the issue completely conflicts with Russia's.
    Resistance

Post  Resistance Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:54 am

Russia MOD is a joke. Seriously. What the hell man? Reporting reconciliation with 4 ant hills in Latakia.

Within last 24 hours, truce agreements have been signed with representatives of 4 inhabited areas in the Latakia province.

https://www.facebook.com/1492252324350852/photos/a.1492313031011448.1073741828.1492252324350852/1788504408058974/?type=3&theater
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:40 am

zorobabel wrote:
    eehnie wrote:
    zorobabel wrote:
    Yikes, how embarrassing.

Embarrassing what?
    Because Iran's account of the issue completely conflicts with Russia's.

provide a source then? They were mad about apparent mention of the base in the media, but that was it.

This is what Iran is saying:

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/iran-says-russian-use-air-base-syria-strikes-now/

(Reuters) Iran said on Monday that Russia has stopped using an Iranian air base for strikes in Syria, a week after Moscow announced that its fighter bombers had flown from a base in Iran to hit targets in Syria.

“Russia has no base in Iran and is not stationed here. They did this (operation) and it is finished for now,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency.

Long-range Russian Tupolev-22M3 bombers and Sukhoi-34 fighter bombers used Nojeh air base, near the city of Hamedan, in north-west Iran to launch the air strikes last week, in a move which underscored Moscow’s increasingly close ties with Tehran.

But the deployment – the first time a foreign power has used an Iranian base since World War Two – triggered criticism from some Iranian parliamentarians who said it breached the Islamic Republic’s constitution.

Iranian Defence Minister Hossein Dehghan dismissed that criticism on Sunday, but also chided Moscow for publicising the move, describing it as showing off and a “betrayal of trust.”

“We have not given any military base to the Russians and they are not here to stay,” Dehghan was quoted as saying by the Fars news agency.

He said there has been “no written agreement” between the two countries and the “operational cooperation” was temporary and limited to refuelling.

As I said above, they were pissed about the mention of it in media (dunno why really, probably because it sparked outrage by some ministers in Iran which then the authorities had to deal with), but they said that it is over for now.  What Russia says falls in line as well.  There is probably some kind of informal agreement about Russia using the base again.

RT article has more:

https://www.rt.com/news/356757-russian-planes-back-iran/

He added that further deployments of the Russian military to Iran “would be based on mutual agreements on fighting terrorism and depending on the developments in Syria.”

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman confirmed the outcome.

“They did this [operation] and it is finished for now," Bahram Qasemi was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency.

Another article where they quote Iran's foreign minister:
    http://tass.com/defense/895284
    TEHRAN, August 22. /TASS/. Russia has taken a timeout from using the Iranian military base Shahid Nojeh, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi announced at a Monday news briefing in Tehran.

"Russia has stopped using the air force base for now," he declared, adding there had been no special arrangement between Tehran and Moscow on using the facility.

"We have a number of agreements with Russia on conducting joint (anti-terrorist) operations. One such agreement envisages the possibility that Iran may grant Russia use of its airspace and infrastructures to fight terrorism in Syria," he affirmed, noting that Tehran’s relations with Moscow were booming over recent years, describing them as strategic.

"Russia and Iran stand closely on the issue of fighting terrorism and the Islamic State (terrorist group outlawed in Russia)," Qasemi stated. "The situation in the region is a very sensitive one. Iran’s own security depends on it and it is of paramount importance to us."

Last week for the first time ever, Russia’s military used an airfield in Iran to attack terrorists in Syria. Long-range bombers, namely Tupolev-22M3 and Sukhoi-34 front-line bombers participated in the raid. Earlier, these aircraft flew sorties from airdromes in Russia and front-line bombers, from the Hmeymim base in Syria.

So please, do not make stuff up.

Last edited by sepheronx on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
    sepheronx
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 am

[Video] Russian jets pound jihadists in northeast Latakia ahead of Syrian Army attack
    TheArmenian
    TheArmenian

Post  TheArmenian Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 am

Don't feed the trolls.
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Good analysis of the Russian move in and out of Iran. Looks like pretty nimble footwork by Moscow again.

http://www.fort-russ.com/2016/08/deciphering-russian-withdrawal-from.html
    PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:32 pm

JohninMK wrote:Good analysis of the Russian move in and out of Iran. Looks like pretty nimble footwork by Moscow again.

Nimble footwork, need for which was cause entirely by Iranian stupidity.

I don't buy this article for a second. Iran wanted VKS to defy Darvinian laws and keep their morons on the ground alive but got cold feet and came up with some BS story about Russia disrespecting them and not keeping deployment of full sized strategic bombers a secret.

Or maybe they got butthurt because Turks got their heads out of their asses and started talking to Russia again. Legendary mid-east pettiness.

We still have morons here like Vann who keep ranting about how Russia should deploy ground troops in this swamp and ''solve this for good''. With morons like SAA and Iran on your side it would be ''perfect''.

I believe that Russia's decision to keep the military footprint here to bare minimum will go down in history as smartest and most intelligent decision ever made by any middle eastern player.

Russia alrady achieved 90% of it's objectives here so what needs to be done now is to detach Latakia and Damascus and create independent state of Do What You Are Fucking Told.

Assad should suffer skiing accident so someone not retarded could take over.

East Syria can burn for next several decades which should keep the local morons busy. VKS can use that region for target practice from time to time just to make sure no unauthorized pipelines get built.

Kurds should be served to Turks on the silver platter. After the bullshit Kurds pulled of recently there is no need whatsoever to keep them alive. I detest Turks but at least dealing with them has potential for monetary benefit if nothing else. And we all know Turks will not pass up opportunity to tweak those rats.

As for Iran I am sure their air force is ready to enter the fray with zeal and bring instant victory to their cause. They are probably on their way now as we speak. lol1
    Resistance

Post  Resistance Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:41 pm

PapaDragon wrote:
    JohninMK wrote:Good analysis of the Russian move in and out of Iran. Looks like pretty nimble footwork by Moscow again.

Nimble footwork, need for which was cause entirely by Iranian stupidity.

I don't buy this article for a second. Iran wanted VKS to defy Darvinian laws and keep their morons on the ground alive but got cold feet and came up with some BS story about Russia disrespecting them and not keeping deployment of full sized strategic bombers a secret.

Or maybe they got butthurt because Turks got their heads out of their asses and started talking to Russia again. Legendary mid-east pettiness.

We still have morons here like Vann who keep ranting about how Russia should deploy ground troops in this swamp and ''solve this for good''. With morons like SAA and Iran on your side it would be ''perfect''.

I believe that Russia's decision to keep the military footprint here to bare minimum will go down in history as smartest and most intelligent decision ever made by any middle eastern player.

Russia alrady achieved 90% of it's objectives here so what needs to be done now is to detach Latakia and Damascus and create independent state of Do What You Are Fucking Told.

Assad should suffer skiing accident so someone not retarded could take over.

East Syria can burn for next several decades which should keep the local morons busy. VKS can use that region for target practice from time to time just to make sure no unauthorized pipelines get built.

Kurds should be served to Turks on the silver platter. After the bullshit Kurds pulled of recently there is no need whatsoever to keep them alive. I detest Turks but at least dealing with them has potential for monetary benefit if nothing else. And we all know Turks will not pass up opportunity to tweak those rats.

As for Iran I am sure their air force is ready to enter the fray with zeal and bring instant victory to their cause. They are probably on their way now as we speak. lol1

BS. You think you can hold Latakia without Aleppo? You are delusional. Moscow would be bombed if jihadists are not wiped out in Syria.
    magnumcromagnon
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:33 pm

Krasnopol has been in use:

In Syria, for the first time applied the Russian guided projectiles "Krasnopol"

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 am