Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Share
    avatar
    Regular

    Posts : 2046
    Points : 2042
    Join date : 2013-03-10
    Location : Western Hemisphere.. mostly

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Regular on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:38 am


    Kedmi, ex Mossad guy speaking about Russia. Sry only in Russian
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5943
    Points : 5978
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Militarov on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:46 am



    Someone is having great time running from cluster ammunition filled Grad/Smerch rockets there.
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5943
    Points : 5978
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Militarov on Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:54 am

    "FSA weapon specialist" showing how to defuse AO-2.5RT Anti-Personnel submunition.



    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2343
    Points : 2500
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:47 am

    Su-25's over Salma - Al-Nusra "Capital"


    Salma under fire from artillery


    -----

    Balanced article from Alastair Crooke (Fmr. MI-6 agent) who often writes on ME affairs

    Russia's Aim in Syria Is to Strategically Defeat ISIS and Al Qaeda
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alastair-crooke/russia-syria-isis-al-qaeda_b_8259870.html?ir=Australia
    avatar
    Militarov

    Posts : 5943
    Points : 5978
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Militarov on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:53 am

    "RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    RAF fighter jets will be armed with air-to-air missiles and have been given the green light to shoot down hostile Russian planes. British and Nato pilots have been told to take the drastic action if they are fired on by Vladimir Putin’s air force during missions over Iraq.

    The move comes after British ministers warned Russia had made the situation in the Middle East “much more dangerous”. Senior defence sources say it is just a matter of time before our fighters are involved in a deadly confrontation with Russian jets. One source said: “We need to protect our pilots but at the same time we’re taking a step closer to war. It will only take one plane to be shot down in an air-to-air battle and the whole landscape will change.” The RAF Tornado jets will be equipped with the Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile – a supersonic weapon which can blast any aircraft out of the sky. Each missile costs £200,000 and can fly three times the speed of sound at 2,300 miles per hour. It locks on to its target using an infra-red heat-seeker and has a warhead filled with 22lbs of high explosive. The missile will explode on contact or within a certain distance from the target. Each aircraft can carry four missiles. Defence chiefs believe there is a real possibility a British jet could be attacked or shot down in a dogfight with a Russian pilot. RAF pilots have been told to avoid contact with Russian jets at all costs and both US and British mission control teams will do their best to keep them apart.

    But the pilots have been warned they must be prepared to fire on Russian jets if their lives depend on it. One source said: “No one knows what the Russians will do next. We don’t know how they will respond if they come into contact with a Western jet. “When planes are flying at supersonic speeds the airspace gets crowded very quickly. There could be a collision or a Russian pilot might be mistakenly shot down.” More than 250 bombs have been dropped by RAF aircrews on Islamic State targets in Iraq. Defence chief Michael Fallon has said the government will try to convince Parliament to extend the bombing campaign into Syria- He said it was “illogical” to attack Islamic State fighters in Iraq but not in Syria."


    Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/469414/RAF-Tornados-missile-Putin-Syria-UK-tensions-strikes-Islamic-State



    Seems they are talking about AIM 132 ASRAAM Smile

    I guess this is indirectly connected to this thread too Very Happy
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3988
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:36 am

    Regular wrote:
    Kedmi, ex Mossad guy speaking about Russia. Sry only in Russian


    That Jewish accent is Horrible, looks like French people learnt Russian.
    avatar
    Solncepek

    Posts : 277
    Points : 280
    Join date : 2015-08-27
    Location : USSR

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Solncepek on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:44 am

    avatar
    Erk

    Posts : 483
    Points : 494
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Erk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:56 am

    Militarov wrote:"RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    RAF fighter jets will be armed with air-to-air missiles and have been given the green light to shoot down hostile Russian planes. British and Nato pilots have been told to take the drastic action if they are fired on by Vladimir Putin’s air force during missions over Iraq.

    The move comes after British ministers warned Russia had made the situation in the Middle East “much more dangerous”. Senior defence sources say it is just a matter of time before our fighters are involved in a deadly confrontation with Russian jets. One source said: “We need to protect our pilots but at the same time we’re taking a step closer to war. It will only take one plane to be shot down in an air-to-air battle and the whole landscape will change.” The RAF Tornado jets will be equipped with the Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile – a supersonic weapon which can blast any aircraft out of the sky. Each missile costs £200,000 and can fly three times the speed of sound at 2,300 miles per hour. It locks on to its target using an infra-red heat-seeker and has a warhead filled with 22lbs of high explosive. The missile will explode on contact or within a certain distance from the target. Each aircraft can carry four missiles. Defence chiefs believe there is a real possibility a British jet could be attacked or shot down in a dogfight with a Russian pilot. RAF pilots have been told to avoid contact with Russian jets at all costs and both US and British mission control teams will do their best to keep them apart.

    But the pilots have been warned they must be prepared to fire on Russian jets if their lives depend on it. One source said: “No one knows what the Russians will do next. We don’t know how they will respond if they come into contact with a Western jet. “When planes are flying at supersonic speeds the airspace gets crowded very quickly. There could be a collision or a Russian pilot might be mistakenly shot down.” More than 250 bombs have been dropped by RAF aircrews on Islamic State targets in Iraq. Defence chief Michael Fallon has said the government will try to convince Parliament to extend the bombing campaign into Syria- He said it was “illogical” to attack Islamic State fighters in Iraq but not in Syria."


    Source: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/469414/RAF-Tornados-missile-Putin-Syria-UK-tensions-strikes-Islamic-State


    Seems they are talking about AIM 132 ASRAAM Smile

    I guess this is indirectly connected to this thread too Very Happy
    So rather than attack ISIS the RAF have geared up to attack the Russian air force, that tells everyone exactly where the UK priorities are.

    avatar
    Stealthflanker

    Posts : 793
    Points : 869
    Join date : 2009-08-04
    Age : 30
    Location : Indonesia

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Stealthflanker on Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:59 am

    Solncepek wrote:

    Is it too difficult to give any caption or info or at least pointer on what's going on ?

    avatar
    Khepesh

    Posts : 1667
    Points : 1736
    Join date : 2015-04-22
    Location : Ахетатон и Уасет

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Khepesh on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:02 am

    Well, there seems not to be a thread for this specifically, but here as it does involve what we all know to be the truth about Syria and Russia. UK TV journalist after finishing his live broadcast, then off air but still recorded, gives the real news. Hilarious, but it really is the truth that they never get to tell the public.
    avatar
    KoTeMoRe

    Posts : 3988
    Points : 4007
    Join date : 2015-04-21
    Location : Krankhaus Central.

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  KoTeMoRe on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:08 am

    Khepesh wrote:Well, there seems not to be a thread for this specifically, but here as it does involve what we all know to be the truth about Syria and Russia. UK TV journalist after finishing his live broadcast, then off air but still recorded, gives the real news. Hilarious, but it really is the truth that they never get to tell the public.

    Dude is a spoof reporter, it's humarr.
    avatar
    Erk

    Posts : 483
    Points : 494
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Erk on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:10 am

    Khepesh wrote:Well, there seems not to be a thread for this specifically, but here as it does involve what we all know to be the truth about Syria and Russia. UK TV journalist after finishing his live broadcast, then off air but still recorded, gives the real news. Hilarious, but it really is the truth that they never get to tell the public.


    That's hysterical!

    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2343
    Points : 2500
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:25 am

    Militarov wrote:[i]"RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    Sounds like posturing and a bit of chest beating OR maybe they're expecting Russian operations in Iraq....assuming this is true offcourse


    Stealthflanker wrote:
    Solncepek wrote:

    Is it too difficult to give any caption or info or at least pointer on what's going on ?


    #Breaking: #SAA forces backed by #RuAF start raiding Al-Sirmanya, aim on Jisr-Alshughor.
    avatar
    Neutrality

    Posts : 853
    Points : 871
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Neutrality on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:33 am

    Let's see the balls on those RAF pilots when they come face to face with SU-30s. Tornadoes are not exactly air superiority fighters. Their Typhoons would be better suited for that role. All talk and no walk again.

    Vann7

    Posts : 3781
    Points : 3885
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Vann7 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:50 am

    UK threatening to create problems.. is because they will try to do it..
    This is why Syrian Army needs to capture the border of Turkey as fast as possible and shut down the border  to blockade any entry of lethal advanced weapons into Syria or supply to them.
    but also the Airport of Deir ez-Zor captured and areas near it.. and deployed there S-300 missiles. And finally capture palmira to secure the western airspace and keep the ISIS airforce coalition away of Syrian Army combat zones..  This can be done before retaking IDLIB or Aleppo or fully clearing zones where the terrorist lacks of capabilities to do a major offensive.. ie
    like Homs , Damascus or southern Syria.. or eastern ..  I think the goal of Syrian army should be
    to hurry up and cover as much air space the can with their air defenses. and let them know
    that it will be very dangerous to fly over Syria..

    The article of the british planes missiles is so silly too.. supersonic air to air missiles , this is technology from the 70s.. with infra red sensors.. Laughing It will be interesting to see if British
    airforce missiles ,if their warheads sensors will be able to see anything under an electronic counter attack.. If Russia claims about their Electronic warfare capabilities.. are half true ,then NATO will have a hard time hitting any Russian plane with a missile if they wanted it.. either intentionally or by mistake. Because in logic alone.. a plane radar will have much powerful
    antenna than the one of a missiles.. If NATO and RUssia both develop strong counter electronic
    counter measures.. we could reach a time..where air to air missiles will become obsolete.. and
    totally new way of warfare needed to hit anything. Like planes armed with lazer guns or
    rail guns. .that cannot be jammed as easily.
    avatar
    Neutrality

    Posts : 853
    Points : 871
    Join date : 2015-05-02

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Neutrality on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:08 pm

    Something that comes to mind.

    Let's take the tragedy in Turkey yesterday in which many people were killed. If I'm allowed to speculate I'd say that the Kurds are going to be blamed for this massacre. Why? Because Turkey realizes that a Kurdish autonomy/de facto nation in Northern Syria is unavoidable and it's time to do something about it while it's not too late. I believe Erdogan is afraid that as soon as Western Syria -all the way to the Turkish border- is liberated by the SAA, that Assad is going to strike a deal with the Kurds to establish a true Kurdistan in that region. This could also mean that Erdogan, if he's really going for that option, is going to better arm Assad's "moderate" opposition under Turkey's air force protection.

    Last part is doubtful if you consider the heavy Russian AA defenses in Syria.

    whir

    Posts : 828
    Points : 869
    Join date : 2015-04-27

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  whir on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:35 pm

    Neutrality wrote:Let's take the tragedy in Turkey yesterday in which many people were killed. If I'm allowed to speculate I'd say that the Kurds are going to be blamed for this massacre.
    Turkish officials are happy comparing yesterday's bombings with PKK's attacks because they cat blame them since the demonstration was a left wing rally supported by kurds.

    ult

    Posts : 655
    Points : 695
    Join date : 2015-02-20

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  ult on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:00 pm










    avatar
    Solncepek

    Posts : 277
    Points : 280
    Join date : 2015-08-27
    Location : USSR

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Solncepek on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:26 pm

    avatar
    Morpheus Eberhardt

    Posts : 1929
    Points : 2040
    Join date : 2013-05-20

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Morpheus Eberhardt on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:20 pm

    Cyberspec wrote:
    Militarov wrote:[i]"RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    Sounds like posturing and a bit of chest beating OR maybe they're expecting Russian operations in Iraq....assuming this is true offcourse

    It is purely for the purpose of their domestic consumption.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5980
    Points : 6045
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:40 pm

    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:
    Militarov wrote:[i]"RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    Sounds like posturing and a bit of chest beating OR maybe they're expecting Russian operations in Iraq....assuming this is true offcourse

    It is purely for the purpose of their domestic consumption.
    You are dead right about that. On the one hand there is no way can the Russians be seen as the good guys and on the other, with announcements like this,

    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-337625644 Aug 2015 - The RAF Tornado mission against Islamic State militants in Iraq is to be extended until at least 2017, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon says.

    the ageing Tornados, that keep getting their use by date extended, have to be seen as still relevant and that the UK is in there helping against ISIS.

    Mind you its a long trip from Akrotiri to Iraq so I assume they were taking a short cut across Syria to get to targets in Iraq, wonder if they are now rerouted.
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 543
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Godric on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:24 pm

    JohninMK wrote:
    Morpheus Eberhardt wrote:
    Cyberspec wrote:
    Militarov wrote:[i]"RAF Tornados armed and dangerous: Tensions between Russia and UK escalate

    Sounds like posturing and a bit of chest beating OR maybe they're expecting Russian operations in Iraq....assuming this is true offcourse

    It is purely for the purpose of their domestic consumption.
    You are dead right about that. On the one hand there is no way can the Russians be seen as the good guys and on the other, with announcements like this,

    www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-337625644 Aug 2015 - The RAF Tornado mission against Islamic State militants in Iraq is to be extended until at least 2017, Defence Secretary Michael Fallon says.

    the ageing Tornados, that keep getting their use by date extended, have to be seen as still relevant and that the UK is in there helping against ISIS.

    Mind you its a long trip from Akrotiri to Iraq so I assume they were taking a short cut across Syria to get to targets in Iraq, wonder if they are now rerouted.

    the Tornados are that old they will be falling out the sky before long ... this is typical bullsh!t from Westminster they like to portray this nonsense that the UK is still a world power and that we are united .... it is utter bull ... the Uk is holding together by a thread and Westminster rarely makes military planning without consulting America first .... even the Eurofighter would have problems with the SU-30MK in conjunction with Russia's Air defense systems

    marat

    Posts : 196
    Points : 198
    Join date : 2015-04-26

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  marat on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:33 pm

    Tornados are not older then Su-24.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5980
    Points : 6045
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  JohninMK on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:36 pm

    marat wrote:Tornados are not older then Su-24.
    Yes, I know, but then the Su-24 is not part of a 'replace for profit before end of life' MIC scheme like the Tornado is in the West.
    avatar
    Godric

    Posts : 543
    Points : 563
    Join date : 2015-04-30
    Location : Alba (Scotland)

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Godric on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:15 pm

    marat wrote:Tornados are not older then Su-24.

    actually quite a few have fallen out the skies in recent years and our Tornados have done a lot more flying hours than the Russian SU-24s and the last Tornado built was 1998 the bulk of the RAF's fleet was built in the 1980s

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian military intervention and aid to Syria #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 pm