Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

How Russian Ships are organized and operate

writertlynn`

How Russian Ships are organized and operate

Post  writertlynn` on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 am

Everyone

I'm looking for any information I can find about how Russian ships are organized and operate. I've been looking into how the Russian Navy handle damage control and weapons firing/tracking aboard ship. I'm interested on how they do it and who does it. All I have been able to find so far has only talked about Russian strategic tactics and that is not what I am looking for.

I would much appreciate any sources anyone can give me.

Thanks.

T
    GarryB

Re: How Russian Ships are organized and operate

Post  GarryB on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:42 am

It is a forum rule that your first post should be an introduction in the intro and rules section.

Too late for you now, but please take the time to create a new thread in the introductions and rules section to introduce yourself... you might also want to take the time to skim through the rules and perhaps the intros of some of the members so you know who you are talking to.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

writertlynn`

Sorry

Post  writertlynn` on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 am

Garry - thanks - sorry. I had every intention of posting on the forum but had to step away from my computer and never got back to it.

I have already read the rules and posted in the introduction area.

T

writertlynn`

An example of what I am looking for.

Post  writertlynn` on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 am

Here is an example of what I am looking for.

Damage control organization.

The US Navy ships are organized with damage control responsibilities set up with Damage Controlmen overall responsible for damage control and others assisting the damage controlmen as secondary responsibilities.

Damage control is broken down into damage control parties designated 1,3,5,etc. who has specific responsibilities. These damage control parties are supervised by damage control men (with officers involved) but manned by other crew. These parties are responsible for primary damage control with other people being pulled from the ranks as people are hurt/killed, become tired, damage becomes too much for the primary damage control teams to handle,etc.

The entire ship's damage control systems is run by an officer whose only job is damage control - the DCA (damage control assistant). He is the assistant to the Chief Engineer and his entire job is to be in complete control of everything aboard ship related to damage control. The ship has a space specifically for the control of damage control (Damage Control Central) and the DCA is there during all GQ's.

In the case of extreme emergency, anyone not directly involved with either fighting the ship or moving the ship would be involved with damage control.

The US Navy obviously trains damage controlmen the most in damage control with the damage control parties getting a bit less, and then general crew a bit less than that. But all hands are trained in at least minimal damage control activities as collateral duties along-side of their regular duties.

The also have DC Maintenance men whose other collateral job includes keeping the ship's damage control equipment in good shape. These people may or may not be on damage control parties - they simply keep the equipment in their respective departments in good shape.

So I am wondering if the Russian Navy or the Soviet Navy organized their damage control that way as well? How is it different. I just read the conscripted sailors are being removed from Russian Navy ships so how has that changed the way the ships are run?

Thanks to anyone who can assist me.

T
    franco

Post  franco on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 pm

I have not seen a Russian poster say he served on ships. There is one poster who served in the navy but he did so land based. If you look in the video section there have been several in the past year showing training exercises in damage control.

hoom

Post  hoom on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 am

The RT documentary series The Baltic Fleet may be of some use? ep1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhCGtc4kWDQ
    Has a bunch of footage of them doing stuff onboard.
    I seem to recall some commentary that its a very staged thing & a bunch of it seems really odd so take with a handful of salt.

Several of the Military Acceptance episodes include footage of damage control exercises too but I'm not gonna go hunting through them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 pm