Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian military involvement and aid to Syria #13

JohninMK

Re: Russian military involvement and aid to Syria #13

Post  JohninMK on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Yuri Lyamin
    ‏ @imp_navigator
    5h5 hours ago

About possible supply of S-300 for Syria. Russia have a stock of retired old S-300 systems, that were replaced in Russian AD by the S-400 systems. Russia in latest years gifted these S-300 for allies such as Kazakhstan and Belarus. Perhaps Syria may also receive such a gift

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Mindstorm wrote:
    We talk of different events JonhinMK.

I talk of the attack to the Al Shayrat Air Base of the 7 April 2017 , the very event that have "forced" western forces now to employ theirs cruise missiles with this ,apparently strange, flight-cruise altitude approach to the target.

In that attack the 23 missiles that reached Shayrat AB was just all those delivered by the USS Porter (out of 24, because one malfuction occured for a missile seconds afther tube separation), that followed the Southern approach while none of the 36 delivered by the USS Ross following the North-Western route (all within reach of the Federation's EW air platforms ) managed even only to reach Syrian coast - some US source mix-up the numbers exchanging the 36 missiles of the USS Ross suppressed with those instead reaching the airbases, likely a little problem of number misunderstanding from theirs insiders sources Wink      

Sorry for the confusion.
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Yet more carrying capacity on the Syrian Express

Yörük Işık ‏Verified account @YorukIsik 14h14 hours ago

⚠️Ship of Interest: @USTreasury OFAC/SDN listed Oboronlogistika’s Russia flag, Murmansk registered cargo vessel Pizhma transits Bosphorus en route to #Tartus #Syria. Last summer, Pizhma was outfitted to carry nuclear waste & did @mod_russia deliveries in Arctic & Kuril islands

nomadski

Post  nomadski on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:09 pm

During Iraq war , the yanks changed flight path of cruise into Iraq from Persian Gulf , to fly over Iran mountains and then to hit Iraq from East . This means that range is not a consideration . But flight path becoming predictable is . Since Iraq lost most radar soon into war . Then this means passive optical tracking LOS or IR homing was becoming a problem . The higher altitude indicates that they were flying a hi - lo operation . Keeping out of range of Man pad . Knowing radar was probably off . So keeping man pads closer to ground target will force a greater dive angle . Resulting in greater error . Looks like none came from north . .......
    Vladimir79

Post  Vladimir79 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:I was thinking about a good way to retaliate without force and think I have it.  So the British have RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus that was used to launch their strike in Homs.  The Cypriots only allow it because they pay base rent and are strapped for cash.  They were not informed until after the strikes and there are protests going on now.  A good way we could get back at them is to encourage these protests and offer a deal to the Cypriots to kick out the British and we will take over their base.    

It looks like my plan is coming along well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5618047/Protest-breaks-British-air-base-Cyprus-Tornado-warplanes-left-Syria.html

Post  KiloGolf on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 pm

[quote="Vladimir79"]
    Vladimir79 wrote:I was thinking about a good way to retaliate without force and think I have it.  So the British have RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus that was used to launch their strike in Homs.  The Cypriots only allow it because they pay base rent and are strapped for cash.  They were not informed until after the strikes and there are protests going on now.  A good way we could get back at them is to encourage these protests and offer a deal to the Cypriots to kick out the British and we will take over their base.    

Nope, they don't pay any rent and Cyprus, since 2015 has more than enough cash.
    Currently, the limited British presence is not a problem for anyone other than some communists.

The problem in Cyprus is the occupation by Turkey.
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm

KiloGolf wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

Currently, the limited British presence is not a problem for anyone other than some communists.

If they had let russians there instead of brits the island would have never been occupied by Turkey.

@vladimir just give some sukhois to argentina and lot of cruise missiles like kh-59mk2 with 550km domestic version to destroy the falklands uk bases if you want a revange.
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:54 pm

Isos wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

If they had let russians there instead of brits the island would have never been occupied by Turkey.

@vladimir just give some sukhois to argentina and lot of cruise missiles like kh-59mk2 with 550km domestic version to destroy the falklands uk bases if you want a revange.

How exactly do that? Nobody liked Soviet Union and their Cold War Hellenophobic agenda, apart from some minority marxist snowflakes. The Brits were leaving in 1960 and reached an agreement similar to the Russian one in post-USSR Crimea (Ukraine). Whatever the UK has and does in Cyprus is absolutely legal.

As much as one may not approve of the Syria strikes, it's a sovereign right of theirs, to do as they please with their mandated military bases, as per treaty of establishment of Cyprus. On the other hand the Turkish invasion and occupation is in violation of the said treaty, as well as international law.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 am

As much as one may not approve of the Syria strikes, it's a sovereign right of theirs, to do as they please with their mandated military bases, as per treaty of establishment of Cyprus. On the other hand the Turkish invasion and occupation is in violation of the said treaty, as well as international law.

So what you are saying is that it is perfectly legal for bases in Cyprus to be used to attack a country that in no way threatens Cyprus or the country that has the base because the country that has the base thinks Syria might have used chemical weapons based on some video they saw on the internet... while at the same time they don't use the military base in Cyprus to try to get Turkish forces out of the half of Cyprus it occupies illegally...

Interesting that you see international law that way...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 am

Νο British dont pay rent since 1963 and bi-communal tensions with the excuse that the rent will not be attributed equaly to turkishcypriots (which they used them before to bring Turkey;s rights to island and prevent enosis-union with Greece)

As KiloGolf said Cyprus problem inst economic but the turkish occupation. And because UK is the 3rd guarantee power with contribution to the diplomacy of Cyprus dispute (negative for us the greeks but this is another matter) government and other parties dont react against the British military presence there.

George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am

KiloGolf wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

+1

George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am

Vladimir79 wrote:

It looks like my plan is coming along well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5618047/Protest-breaks-British-air-base-Cyprus-Tornado-warplanes-left-Syria.html

these are communists from Greece. Cypriot communists (AKEL) are very modernized, they are actually a centre-left moderate party and they never organize demonstrations against british military bases there

George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 am

Isos wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:
    Vladimir79 wrote:

Britain bought Cyprus from Ottoman Empire in 1878. How could an enslaved population "let russians"??

Isos

Post  Isos on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 am

Britain bought Cyprus from Ottoman Empire in 1878. How could an enslaved population "let russians"??

Let them invade the island lol1

More seriously, I didn't know that nor the story of the island. But now it's a recognized state so if they want British to leave UN has to support them to make them leave. But they definitly need someone to protect them. If it is Greece they will go at full war with Erdogan so Russians are the best option. British already let the turks invade.
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

Isos wrote:

Let them invade the island lol1

More seriously, I didn't know that nor the story of the island. But now it's a recognized state so if they want British to leave UN has to support them to make them leave. But they definitly need someone to protect them. If it is Greece they will go at full war with Erdogan so Russians are the best option. British already let the turks invade.

cyprus is a specialized case of state unfortunately. Their independence is "committed" according to the constitution...

KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am

Anyway, Cyprus is full of Russians, they account for something between 5-10% of the population. Soon there will be more Russians in Cyprus than Turkish Cypriots. My platoon had a significant amount of Russians, Lebanese and Syrians. By the end of basic I made sure their Greek was better than cocky, private school-level American English. And made sure whatever type of hazing they'd face (well they didn't speak our language) would be kept at minimum, verbal level. Of course we had a Cyprus-born Russians trying to dodge service on their first day in, on the basis of things like.. "not owing anything to this country". Well lets just say they sat at the wrong queue for 3 hours, under the wondeful July sun. Oooops lol1
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am

I seem to get confirmed on Wanger not having many friends in the establishment.

Russian journalist who covered Wagner Group mercenary deaths in Syria dies after falling from balcony

A Russian journalist who wrote about Russian mercenaries in Syria has died from injuries he sustained after falling from a balcony.

Maxim Borodin, 32, died at a hospital on Sunday after falling from his fifth-floor balcony in Yekaterinburg on Thursday, according to the Associated Press and RFERL.

The Associated Press reported that it was unclear how Borodin fell, but RFERL reported that officials are considering his death to be a suicide.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/maxim-borodin-death-balcony-fall-russian-journalist-covered-wagner-group-2018-4?r=US&IR=T
    George1

Post  George1 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am

KiloGolf wrote:Anyway, Cyprus is full of Russians, they account for something between 5-10% of the population. Soon there will be more Russians in Cyprus than Turkish Cypriots. My platoon had a significant amount of Russians, Lebanese and Syrians. By the end of basic I made sure their Greek was better than cocky, private school-level American English. And made sure whatever type of hazing they'd face (well they didn't speak our language) would be kept at minimum, verbal level. Of course we had a Cyprus-born Russians trying to dodge service on their first day in, on the basis of things like.. "not owing anything to this country". Well lets just say they sat at the wrong queue for 3 hours, under the wondeful July sun. Oooops lol1

yes but to tell the full story the russians that are in cuprus are enemies of Putin Smile because of the money they take out from Russia and launder it in this beautiful offshore paradise Very Happy

Vladimir79

Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:48 pm

KiloGolf wrote:

[/quote]

The 1960 Treaty of Establishment lays out a section for base and facilities payments. The British MoD has actually wanted to get rid of it for years as it is a major drain on their defence budget but the US won't let them.

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:51 pm

He is right the Brits do pay for the facilities but he is wrong in that the UK wants to let the bases go. They do not at all.

Those bases are in a very very nice strategic position.
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:

The 1960 Treaty of Establishment lays out a section for base and facilities payments. The British MoD has actually wanted to get rid of it for years as it is a major drain on their defence budget but the US won't let them.

Hey, I know better.
    They do not pay anything and haven't paid anything since before the invasion. We're talking payments straight to the RoC budget, not theirs.

Last edited by KiloGolf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Vladimir79

Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 pm

The UK has been in breach of the treaty since 1974 as they didn't intervene in the Turkish invasion and is breached every day as long as North Cyprus exists.

Post  KiloGolf on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Vladimir79 wrote:

The UK has been in breach of the treaty since 1974 as they didn't intervene in the Turkish invasion and is breached every day as long as North Cyprus exists.  

Sure, that's a different topic. Greece was also in breach of said Treaty as they didn't intervene as well and left the island without air and sea cover. And whatever forces the military junta sent were insignificant (one battalion of SF and a battalion of infantry vs an equivalent of two divisions). And till only a few years ago, the Greek goverment was refusing to openly admit the said deployments and battles.

Yeah but let's get back in correcting you. The British do not pay any rent for their bases to RoC and haven't paid anything since 1964. I don't take their excusse as exactly legal or fair, but given the 1974 realities of invasion and occupation, it's a minor concern.

So no, Cyprus doesn't get any money from the Brits, nor do they expect to get any (since haf a century ago).

SeigSoloyvov wrote:He is right the Brits do pay for the facilities

Nope.

They spend part of their own budget on the bases, nothing goes to RoC budget from the UK concerning the said bases (and Troodos station).
    PapaDragon

Post  PapaDragon on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:31 pm

KiloGolf wrote:I seem to get confirmed on Wanger not having many friends in the establishment.

Russian journalist who covered Wagner Group mercenary deaths in Syria dies after falling from balcony............

This guy didn't break the story, he was just one of gazillion journalists who wrote about it after it actually broke in different newspaper (he writes for local news not Komersant)
    miketheterrible

Post  miketheterrible on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 pm

That's the thing. People are easily fooled due to their idiocy. Kommersant released the news about it. But hey, whatever. Story is good so let's make shit up

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:18 pm