Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian military involvement and aid to Syria #13

Azi

Re: Russian military involvement and aid to Syria #13

Post  Azi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm

What russian assets are NOW in Syria? I hope they are well prepared!

Best would be a lot of AD Systems to intercept enemy cruise missile. The western coalition would look stupid and like loosers if only 20 -30 % of their mssiles will hit and there is no risk of further escalation (Their propaganda will say 99 %).

I hope they move modern Buk Systems and more Pantsir Systems in. Also a few fighters and interceptors wouldn't be bad.

Heard that Su-57 should be in Syria, but is this true or not? Are some aircraft now on Iranian Bases now? Questions over questions...I know Wink

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Looks like US is backing down ..from targeting Syria.. Wink

If US backs down..Macron will run away ,since france alone is not a power that can make any difference in Syria.
    Britian navy is even worse.. French combat planes will get the same welcome of Israeli planes that crashed by birds
    from the sky.. and 1 pilot killed. lol1  and it will not be personal , but Syria  self defense. So no worries .. Syria air defenses will bring down the French planes . and we all will be happy.  Smile

Still nothing is certain. Israel lobbies have a big influence in Trump policies.
    and is not clear if he will be allowed to back down.

What is clear is that most of Trump fan base is making a storm on social media ,opposing this strikes.
    Including people that Trump most value their support.. he will lose all popularity with his base if attack..and will be an
    easy target for the democrats later and his enemies to be impeached for anything.

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 am

Azi wrote:What russian assets are NOW in Syria? I hope they are well prepared!

Best would be a lot of AD Systems to intercept enemy cruise missile. The western coalition would look stupid and like loosers if only 20 -30 % of their mssiles will hit and there is no risk of further escalation (Their propaganda will say 99 %).

I hope they move modern Buk Systems and more Pantsir Systems in. Also a few fighters and interceptors wouldn't be bad.

Heard that Su-57 should be in Syria, but is this true or not? Are some aircraft now on Iranian Bases now? Questions over questions...I know Wink

Russia have about 5 warships ,destroyers along Syria coast... A couple of S-400s.. in their base.. but also
    S-300V4 in tartus base.. Syria army have apparently got 40x pantsir-1 defenses.. but also have S-200s and S-75
    with upgraded electronics and improved sensors. so is a descent airforce.

however all those defenses.. might not be good enough to counter 100% a large scale attack from lets say 10 warships
    and Submarines from US,UK and France but also Saudi arabia . So probably half of them or less will enter.

Regular

Post  Regular on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 am

I highly doubt that Syria has 40 pantsirs. It takes time to train crew and inplement new equipment into air defence network and by the look of western strikes on Syria it's more patchy than trumps head
    Isos

Post  Isos on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 am

Regular wrote:I highly doubt that Syria has 40 pantsirs. It takes time to train crew and inplement new equipment into air defence network and by the look of western strikes on Syria it's more patchy than trumps head

They have them since long ago. It was a pantsir that destroyed the turkish f-4 in 2012 IIRC.
    Godric

Post  Godric on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:01 am

Aristide wrote:I dont know whats the fuss about?

Our president said we will act. So France will definitly act. This doesnt involve Russia. We will traget chemical plants.

Beside that it will be like always. When it gets serious, Russia sneaks out.

when was the last time France actually won a war 200 years ago even the tallies in 1940 kicked your asses lol!

see your carry on with the Mistral class assault ships by not delivering them you proved a unreliable customer/supplier since then France has had very few weapon sales Laughing

as i said France hasn't had a set of balls since Jacque Chirac and when Scotland leaves the UK the days of Scotland having France's back are long gone
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Vann7 wrote:

Russia have about 5 warships ,destroyers along Syria coast... A couple of S-400s.. in their base.. but also
    S-300V4 in tartus base.. Syria army have apparently got 40x pantsir-1 defenses.. but also have S-200s and S-75
    with upgraded electronics and improved sensors. so is a descent airforce.

however all those defenses.. might not be good enough to counter 100% a large scale attack from lets say 10 warships
    and Submarines from US,UK and France but also Saudi arabia . So probably half of them or less will enter.

Along with the S-400 and S-300 you mention, but it is often forgotten, the other S-400 that was installed sometime between April and July 2017 13 km from Masyaf, between Tartous and Homs. Apart from moving the coverage are slightly south and east, the significance of this site is that it is up in the hills, not down at sea level, giving it a huge boost in actual coverage by reducing considerably radar shadow areas caused by said and other hills.

There will be Pantirs there too, protecting it.

It is also unknown as to where more systems have been shipped or flown in over the past few weeks since tensions became raised following Russia's statement about forthcoming gas attacks. This could mean that there are actually many more mobile SAMs than currently known about. In particular, that tracked short range Strela system photographed a few weeks ago.

This isn't too bad

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-12/look-russias-military-assets-syria
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Also important are the A-50 AWACS platforms and any armed fighter aircraft that could include the Su-30, Su-35, and Su-34 and the MiG-29SMT... all of which would be perfectly capable of engaging multiple cruise missiles and passing on information about their flightpath to other assets.

Ideally they would have a MiG-31 regiment...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Isos

Post  Isos on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:52 pm

GarryB wrote:Also important are the A-50 AWACS platforms and any armed fighter aircraft that could include the Su-30, Su-35, and Su-34 and the MiG-29SMT... all of which would be perfectly capable of engaging multiple cruise missiles and passing on information about their flightpath to other assets.

Ideally they would have a MiG-31 regiment...

they should bring more Attack assests like hundreds of Kh-31/35 , tens of of Iskander lunchers, fast attack boats and corvettes armed with Moskit and Uran and send them near the the NATO vessels.
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 pm

If the Russian's are really serious they should deploy Buk systems in mass with of TARs and enough TELs to surpass the supposed amount of missiles the U.S has at sea, i really cant think of another way to counter a mass saturation strike.

As for Iskanders, that's unnecessary, Bastion-Ps and Club-M/K systems will do fine.

And like i said before, i would be parking some Tu-22Ms or some Su-34s there.
    Hannibal Barca

Post  Hannibal Barca on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:53 pm

A mass saturation attack is extremely easy to parry. 
    You simply sink the ships.

lycantrop

Post  lycantrop on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:33 pm

short answer -> only russians know, but be assured, they are prepared for escalation IF! necessary.
    nomadski

Post  nomadski on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:13 pm

As I said before , all participants are nuclear armed . Nukes have kept the peace for seventy years . Like two heavy weight boxers , they are very cautious to engage , as a single blow could kill . It is the same in nature . Heavily armed and lethal creatures do a lot of sizing each other up and flexing their muscles . Usually they settle the match by deciding who has the better condition . Without inflicting much or any damage .

Once the two creatures find out by a slight application of force , who has the upper hand , then they decide who should back down . In our case we are dealing with humans that can see clearly and think who is stronger . There is no need for actual engagement to find out what to do .

We are also dealing with two nuclear armed states . This is at the core of their streanght . In order to stop a " winable " conventional confrontation . Allowing limited engagements that can escalate into a devastating " unwinable " nuclear war . It is better to display the full nuclear streanght to the world and display the unwinable nature of this confrontation . By detonating a small atmospheric device . And putting it on TV .

This I suggested to the Iran also . In case the yanks attacked or were about to attack . I am serious about this .

Last edited by nomadski on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
    starman

Post  starman on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 pm

Vann7 wrote:
    Looks like US is backing down ..from targeting Syria.. Wink

What is clear is that most of Trump fan base is making a storm on social media ,opposing this strikes.
    Including people that Trump most value their support.. he will lose all popularity with his base if attack..and will be an easy target for the democrats later and his enemies to be impeached for anything.

Good to hear this. Smile Trump is a moron but but his advisors must have tried to talk him out of this. I can't believe any of the State or Defense Dept pros want to risk a major clash so needlessly.
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Well loaded and southbound. Interesting cargo (two harbour patrol and inshore fast boats) on the Alexandr Tkachenko plus whatever is hidden on the lower deck.

Yörük Işık
    ‏Verified account @YorukIsik
    2h2 hours ago

Supply & reinforcement for Russia’s #Syria campaign continues amid rising international crisis in Middle East: #ВМФ #ЧФ BSF Tapir class LST Nikolai Filchenkov 152 transits Med-bound Bosphorus en route to #Tartus #Syria for its first deployment in 2018 after 7months of repairs.

Yörük Işık
    ‏Verified account @YorukIsik
    49m49 minutes ago

Crossing the Rubicon ? Supply & reinforcement for Russia’s #Syria campaign continues: Russian Gov chartered, #Russia flag RoRo Alexandr Tkachenko transits Med-bound Bosphorus en route to #Tartus carrying Project 03160 Raptor, BMK-T bridge erection boat, KamAZ & Ural 4320 trucks.

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Just for reference this is what they look like running empty of cargo when not on the Syrian Express.

JohninMK

Post  JohninMK on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am

At times like these you find out who your real friends are.

Lucifuge Rofocale
    ‏ @rofoca_lucifuge
    59s59 seconds ago

Iran has granted Russia overflight and landing rights for strategic bombers, presumably for Syria operations

AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:20 am

JohninMK wrote:At times like these you find out who your real friends are.

Lucifuge Rofocale
    ‏ @rofoca_lucifuge
    59s59 seconds ago

Iran has granted Russia overflight and landing rights for strategic bombers, presumably for Syria operations

Looks like Iran's gonna get some S-400s soon.
    Militarov

Post  Militarov on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 am

Murad Gazdiev claims US started airstrikes on Damascus.

"Murad Gazdiev

US strike against Syria underway. Explosions rocking capital."

Vann7

Post  Vann7 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:23 am

according to social media
    Russia is apparently moving nuclear strike capable bombers in IRANIAN airport.

auslander

Post  auslander on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:27 am

Too late. CehSha just hit. Details at 11.

par far

Post  par far on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 am

auslander wrote:Too late. CehSha just hit. Details at 11.

What in God's name is CheSha?
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:59 am

JohninMK wrote:Well loaded and southbound. Interesting cargo (two harbour patrol and inshore fast boats) on the Alexandr Tkachenko plus whatever is hidden on the lower deck.

Interesting...didn't think they'd bring the Raptor boats to Syria

----

Tiger-M with Arbalet turret spotted in Syria

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:52 am

The US will go out of their way to avoid Russian casualties, and I rather suspect that Russias response will be smart.

Let me be clear a teenager might demand revenge... sink a boat/sub or shoot down a plane, but I really doubt they will put any of those in firing range and after they have launched weapons it is too late to waste time on the launch platform... take on the missiles launched... but if any other potential launch platform approaches then shoot that first and ask questions later.

The point is that sinking a US platform after it has fired its weapons is a waste and an escalation.

Russia needs to be smart and retaliate in a way that is very useful to itself and Syria and that the US can't use as justification for any more escalations...

Blow up a secret US base in Syria... hit targets in Syria that were previously off limits by mutual agreement but are worth hitting for the benefit of Russian forces and Syrian forces...

Or even better create a no fly zone over all of US controlled Syria...

The best way to deal with a heavy cruise missile attack is aircraft, including AWACS and interceptors, together with ground based missiles located near the intended targets. The fact that ground based defences need to be near the intended targets means you need a shitload of SAMs all over the place and if the enemy detect them they can simply choose another less well protected target...

If you know the flight path of the missiles even a group of soldiers with Igla-S can shoot down cruise missiles... OSA are reportedly very good at bringing down such targets... but the key is getting the forces to the right place at the right time and being alerted before the missiles come through.

In Russia they are working on a fully integrated air defence network with multiple sensors and weapon nodes... Syria not so much.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Isos

Post  Isos on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 am

The US will go out of their way to avoid Russian casualties, and I rather suspect that Russias response will be smart.

Let me be clear a teenager might demand revenge... sink a boat/sub or shoot down a plane, but I really doubt they will put any of those in firing range and after they have launched weapons it is too late to waste time on the launch platform... take on the missiles launched... but if any other potential launch platform approaches then shoot that first and ask questions later.

There were talks between russia and us to avoid dramatical situations. They made 0 death which means they failed military but they had to lunch an attack to save their face. Even if there was chemical stuff it was moved since the begening of the week.

Putin could use this to destroy some radars in europe if you know what I mean but well, not really their intention. He is too kind with them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm