Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Old soviet vehicles with modern/unusual upgrades.

d_taddei2

Old soviet vehicles with modern/unusual upgrades.

Post  d_taddei2 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi all, looking at older soviet vehicles and how over time various countries have modernised them into something much better or even to some of the more unusual upgrades done by other countries. I am looking for people views and to share any info on any vehicle which has been upgraded in any way and with pictures if you have them.

I will start a with few:

BRDM-2 Azerbaijan ZKDM armed with 7.62mm, 30 mm AGS-17, twin 23mm cannons, four 57 or 80 mm rocket launchers and two smoke grenade launchers mounted on each side of the vehicle, which is a massive upgrade on the original model.

BRDM-2  gurcu Azerbaijan anti air armed with 23mm cannon and 7.62mm.

BRDM-2 Afghanistan upgrade with 57 mm rocket pod originally for a helicopter or aircraft.

BRDM-2 with BM-14-16 believed to be Afghanistan upgrade.

BRDM-2 Turkish upgrade with OMTAS anti tank missile system.

BRDM-2 with TOW missile system.

BRDM-2 Belarus upgrade Caiman

BTR-70M Azerbaijan upgrade with 23mm gun, and 7.62mm

BTR-50S Serbian upgrade armed with 30mm canon, 7.62mm, two 9M14 Malyutka(AT-3).

PT-76E Russian upgrade with a 57mm gun instead of the 76mm gun.
    George1

Re: Old soviet vehicles with modern/unusual upgrades.

Post  George1 on Tue May 22, 2018 3:11 pm

BTR-40 modernized (with the installation of an armored roof and armored turret) in service in Indonesia. It is believed that at least 96 BTR-40 remains in the armed forces of Indonesia.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3208348.html
    KiloGolf

Post  KiloGolf on Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 pm

BTR-3

d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Tue May 22, 2018 7:47 pm

George1 wrote:BTR-40 modernized (with the installation of an armored roof and armored turret) in service in Indonesia. It is believed that at least 96 BTR-40 remains in the armed forces of Indonesia.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3208348.html

Still capable for patrolling and UN missions stick a 12.7mm gun on it your sorted. If you go to Vietnam ground forces thread see what they did with the BTR-152 for there UN missions they did a cracking job and the vehicle is highly upgraded and we'll suited for the job. I am a firm believer that old equipment has a use even if it's a different role.

I always thought a BTR -50 could be ideal mortar carrier with its large roof hatches and large space to store ammo. Also could be used as ammo carrier where trucks are either not mobile enough to go or you need armour to protect ammo in a hostile environment or threat of shelling/mortars

Cuba has many upgrades I posted pics on this forum of some but can't remember which threat likely Cuba threat
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am

The BTR-50 is not a bad vehicle, but the wheeled vehicles would be much more mobile over roads... sealed and gravel, and also it would be much cheaper to buy and to operate and much simpler to operate too...

I agree though with this throw away society perfectly good vehicles are considered obsolete well before they actually are...
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed May 23, 2018 10:21 pm

GarryB wrote:The BTR-50 is not a bad vehicle, but the wheeled vehicles would be much more mobile over roads... sealed and gravel, and also it would be much cheaper to buy and to operate and much simpler to operate too...

I agree though with this throw away society perfectly good vehicles are considered obsolete well before they actually are...

Majority of equipment can still useful it could be an upgrade or role change I think syria is a perfect example that older equipment can still get the job done just look at use of sagger, T-55, bmp-1, 2S1, mig-21, su-22, mig-23 to name a few.

As for waste and throw away most items these days are designed to be thrown away hence we are now paying for it waste problems and plastics in the sea etc. 99% of all cars owned have been 20-35years old and they get me from A-B just fine.
    George1

Post  George1 on Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 am

Aselsan Turkish anti-aircraft missile module IGLA with the missiles of the Soviet portable Igla-1 missile system on the chassis of MT-LB. KADEX-2018 photo

George1

Post  George1 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:17 pm

BVP-M for Slovakia Army, modernized BMP-1 fitted with Turra 30 fighting module(produced in Slovakia factory ZTS Special) which is armed with a 30-mm cannon and coaxial 7.62-mm or 12.7-mm machine gun.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3241746.html
    George1

Post  George1 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:16 am

Iraqi armored car BMTLP-1 - a hybrid of the MT-LB armored tractor with the BMP-1 combat compartment installed on it with a 73-mm 2A28 gun.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3247625.html
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 am

George1 wrote:Iraqi armored car BMTLP-1 - a hybrid of the MT-LB armored tractor with the BMP-1 combat compartment installed on it with a 73-mm 2A28 gun.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3247625.html

I like it. This is one of the reasons I like the MT-LB platform very versatile only thing I'd add to this is caged armour as mt-lb armour isn't the thickest and simple caged armour helps for a cheap cost.

I've always thought that a MT-LB mounted with grad launcher (BM-21) would be useful for mobility. I've seen one mounted with BM-14 & a T-55 with the same. Could even mount multiple S-8, S-5 pods etc I remember an afghan variant of brdm-2 mounted with a rocket pod but still keeping main gun.

George1

Post  George1 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 am

Option MLRS "Grad" Transnistrian production

According to Rossiyskaya Gazeta, the Ministry of Defense of the Pridnestrovskaia Moldavskaia Respublika (PMR) transmitted to the RG unique photos of the variant of the 122-mm rocket system BM-21 Grad created by the industry of this republic. The first thing that catches your eye is the presence of 4 blocks with guides for launching 122-mm rocket projectiles. As a result, the installation in one salvo can bring down 48 ammunition instead of 40, as in the usual Grad.

Made on the KAMAZ-4310 chassis, the 48-charge combat vehicle of the 122-mm multiple launch rocket system produced by the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic (PMR) (c) Ministry of Defense of the PMR / rg.ru

Transnistrian BM-21 is installed on the chassis of the three-axle all-wheel drive "Kamaz-4310". Behind the car cab there are visible places for calculation. For stability, the MLRS is equipped with powerful outriggers. The maximum range depends on the ammunition used. As a rule, it is about 20 km.

For the first time, this installation was openly demonstrated on September 2 during celebrations related to the celebration of the Day of the Republic.

Also in the PMR in the 90s. The VV-21 Grad combat vehicles were made on the basis of the ZIL-131 all-terrain vehicles with 20 guides, they were put into service with the local army, where they remain until now.

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3365340.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm