Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

The usefulness of the RBU-6000

KomissarBojanchev

The usefulness of the RBU-6000

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 pm

Why is it that NATO ships stopped using unguided anti-submarine rockets after the hedgehog and exclusively went to using torpedos for ASW work since the 1960s, while Russian ships up to this day value this type of weapon in the form of the RBU-6000?

Can anyone explain its seemingly extreme importance in Russian and soviet ASW doctrine that almost every Russian warship built has one of them slapped on? Is it assumed that most submarines will be detected just a few kilometers from the ship and that throwing as much explosives into the general area of the enemy sub is more effective than an ASW torpedo? Even if subs wait to get close to an enemy ship to launch their torpedoes, don't they always launch them beyond the range of the RBU-6000, at around 10-20km instead of 5-4km?

I know there is a guided version shooting 90R rockets, so that increases its effectiveness. I know that the Grigoroviches and neustrashimiys only have the guided version. Will the udaloys, slavas, and gepards get one too?

Or is anti-torpedo work the main raison-d'etre of the RBU-6000 in modern times? Have there been extensive tests done measuring the effectiveness of the RBU-6000 against torpedos. If yes, do we know its kill probability? Does the guided 90R rocket have a better kill probability against torpedoes. Is the RBU-6000 as effective as the paket as a an anti-torpedo countermeasure?
    Isos

Re: The usefulness of the RBU-6000

Post  Isos on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 pm

It's mainly designed to attack torpedos with different sort of rockets.

You can use it also against a sub if you manage to get in range by going fast on the sub or if you use it in shallow waters where detection range is reduced to 2 or 3 km and torpedos will be harder to operate in those waters I assume. Good weapon for ASW corvettes.

What is good with this weapons is that once lunched you are pretty sure to hit the sub. It works like CIWS and lunch supersonic rockets at a target that is moving at 50 km/h. From a couple of km its just like firing with a sniper rifle at a ship. Its like 100% hit for sure. However torpedos are smaller and fast so who knows what Pk it has against them. But must be good if they use them on evry ship while it is a quite expensive system.

Some western countries have their equivalent like Sweeden. But most of them think their "ability to be better than russian" and their jammers are enough.

Now it is replaced by Paket NK which seems to be pretty good with longer range.

Peŕrier

Post  Peŕrier on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:50 am

RBU-6000 as stated by ISOS, born as an ASW weapon but evolved to an anti-torpedo defense system and it's now coming back to the ASW role.

The real drawback of the system is that it works through salvos and it's an hardkill system, and in the west it was deemed more effective to lure an incoming torpedo away from its intended target by decoys, but it is universally judged a very effective anti torpedo weapon.

It is judged being highly effective against wire-guided torpedoes, because the wide shock inducted by several detonations should easily break the wire, and it's deemed quite well effective against the torpedoes themselves, even the fire and forget ones.

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am

I have answered this question before on this forum... if you can't be bothered looking that up then I can't be bothered repeating myself here.

Personally I think it is insulting to compare the Soviet system with hedgehog, but if you actually did a bit of research yourself before making such dumb statements you would not say such dumb things.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    KomissarBojanchev

Post  KomissarBojanchev on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:01 am

GarryB wrote:I have answered this question before on this forum... if you can't be bothered looking that up then I can't be bothered repeating myself here.

Personally I think it is insulting to compare the Soviet system with hedgehog, but if you actually did a bit of research yourself before making such dumb statements you would not say such dumb things.

Before. how long before? 2 years? If yes I can't find your explanation.
    Also I didn't compare the RBU-6000 to the hedgehogI said its the same weapon type(anti-submarine MLRS).

Also, there is almost nothing detailing the actual usage of the RBU-6000. I looked for info. All it says on the internet is that its an ASW weapon together with its range stats, not actual tactics when using it or its effectiveness.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 am

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 am