Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Share
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am

    Hello,

    i dont know if this is the right forum but i looked on google and cant read russian, so i may ask my question here and hope some russians are here.

    I´m from France and work for a technology corporation. Our company was invited to Russia in mid January and i will go there as assistant in that group. (We will be 12 - 4 managers and 8 assistants).

    I dont know exactly yet but from what i know is thatw e fly with Air France to St. Petersburg. Have there 4 days meetings and such stuff and then go 5 days Irkutsk.

    Well my questions are:

    I´m a bit nervous about it and dont know what to think. I never was in east europe and i guess there is some prejudice. We fly with Air France to St. Petersburg. I guess St. Petersburg has similar level in Hotels and restaurants that we have?

    What can be done there as activity? Any famous things to watch? I´m 23 so not just museums aand stuff but also fun activities? Are there no go?

    How do Russians see us? Friend or not Friend?

    And what i wonder more, how is Irkutsk? We fly with a airline called "Aeroflot" there. Are they ok?

    How is Irkutsk? I guess its cold there? Our hotel is called Sayen. Does anyone know how mobile net is in Irkutsk?

    I apology for my many questions but i want know a bit before i go.

    When i staretd my apprenticeship and just came out of school, i know France and Russia had some anger because ships we build but did not deliver. Do you think that is still a problem? Because its just 3 years in past?
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 472
    Points : 504
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm

    When in Russia as a western person do not show arrogance disrepect or an overly pro western attitde France is in the west it is also in nato and is therefor an enemy of the Russian federation.

    I don't live in St Petersburg so I unfortunateley cannot tell you about coffe shops but don not worry it is a realy large city with plenty of sights to see.


    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:40 pm

    The-thing-next-door wrote:When in Russia as a western person do not show arrogance disrepect or an overly pro western attitde France is in the west it is also in nato and is therefor an enemy of the Russian federation.

    I don't live in St Petersburg so I unfortunateley cannot tell you about coffe shops but don not worry it is a realy large city with plenty of sights to see.



    I was unaware we are enemies xD Enemy in french means something big. I guess what you mean is better translated as rival.

    I´m a french patriot but i dont disprespect others. So no problem. As for arrogance, sometimes style is mistaken as arrogance. I try not to appear arrogant.

    I looked at St. Petersburg and it seems to look nice.

    Irkoutsk i dont know what to think yet. I did see lake Baikal is nearby. At wikipedia i saw its almost in China and i guess it will be pretty cold there. I dont know yet but i think it will be fine to have it on my "places i visited" list because propably not so many go there. Very Happy
    avatar
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2497
    Points : 3375
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Vladimir79 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:44 pm

    There is nothing to worry about. Just keep your nose clean, dress warm and enjoy St. Petersburg. There is not much in Irkustk. For your safety I would advise keeping your phone on you at all times and travel with at least one other person. If anything seems weird, record it. That usually makes them back off, ie bribery, scams.
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 am

    Vladimir79 wrote:There is nothing to worry about.  Just keep your nose clean, dress warm and enjoy St. Petersburg.  There is not much in Irkustk.  For your safety I would advise keeping your phone on you at all times and travel with at least one other person.  If anything seems weird, record it.  That usually makes them back off, ie bribery, scams.

    I understand. Well i guess we will mostly stay in a group but i propably will also roam alone sometimes.

    As for Irkoutsk, can you tell me if it is possible to visit Baikal from there easily?
    avatar
    jhelb

    Posts : 473
    Points : 546
    Join date : 2015-04-04
    Location : Previously: Belarus Currently: A Small Island No One Cares About

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  jhelb on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm

    Aristide wrote:How do Russians see us? Friend or not Friend?

    If you can locate France on the world map that's enough evidence that Russians don't hate France. I'm part Russian myself & have never witnessed any anti France feeling in Russia.

    That being said, you haven't mentioned whether you are a ethnic French or French of African, Mid Eastern or Asian origin. The former set of people will not face any problem (except the language hurdle) in the major cities like St. Petersburg. The latter set are a different breed as they more often than not fail to accept local culture. Avoid the outskirts of any major Russian city as there is a large population of Asian migrants who live out there & commit several crimes.

    Irkutsk is in Siberia and the Siberian wilderness is awesome.Some well know Cathedrals & Parks are located at Irkutsk. I haven't visited Irkutsk since 1995 so I can't provide up to date travel information. Check with the French consulate in St. Petersburg before travelling.
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

    jhelb wrote:
    Aristide wrote:How do Russians see us? Friend or not Friend?

    If you can locate France on the world map that's enough evidence that Russians don't hate France. I'm part Russian myself & have never witnessed any anti France feeling in Russia.

    That being said, you haven't mentioned whether you are a ethnic French or French of African, Mid Eastern or Asian origin. The former set of people will not face any problem (except the language hurdle)  in the major cities like St. Petersburg. The latter set are a different breed as they more often than not fail to accept local culture. Avoid the outskirts of any major Russian city as there is a large population of Asian migrants who live out there & commit several crimes.

    Irkutsk is in Siberia and the Siberian wilderness is awesome.Some well know Cathedrals & Parks are located at Irkutsk. I haven't visited Irkutsk since 1995 so I can't provide up to date travel information. Check with the French consulate in St. Petersburg before travelling.

    I´m mainly ethnic french. But i also have spanish ancestors 3 generations ago some of my mothers side came from Andalusia.

    I understand what you ask since we have the same problem with russians. Some rich russians settle in our area and make zero problem. But 2 - 3 rich families from russian caucasus region was absolut unable to fullfill french / european standards and was expulsed from France last year.

    As for Irkoutsk, i did read lake baikal is oldest and deepest lake in the world. I know its roughly 80km away from irkoutsk, but if we have the time i would love to visit it.
    avatar
    auslander

    Posts : 1163
    Points : 1235
    Join date : 2015-04-25

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  auslander on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 pm

    I will give you the benefit of the doubt and provide some information. I am a foreigner living in Russia for over ten years.

    Aeroflot is the Russian national airline. They are better than Air France.

    Since you don't speak Russian, never go anywhere alone except in your hotel, as in the restaurant. You will find few people outside of St. Petersburg who speak French and probably not many in St. Pete either. English, you will have better luck, it's not uncommon to find English speakers here. Depending on your accent, you may be able to converse with them. Do not use slang and speak English slowly and clearly to them. Never think that the people near you don't understand what you are saying to your comrades. Therefore, be careful what you do say and don't use obscene language in either French or English, or for that matter German.

    When you go out of Hotel, always go with your group and I'm sure your group will have competent translators. Do not go anywhere alone in St. Petersburg.

    Do not get in a discussion of politics. If someone asks, tell them you are not political and have no opinion on anything political. If they persist, change the subject to the weather or your restaurant or how beautiful St. Petersburg is. Don't get in to any discussions about the war in Syria or the war in Novorossiya or anything about Krimea and Sevastopol. Do the same thing, change the subject no matter what you may or may not feel about any of the three events.

    It's cold this time of year, really cold, in St. Petersburg, think colder than a mother-in-law's kiss. Dress warmly. Irkutsk is more cold than St. Pete. Irkutsk is a provincial city, no where near as sophisticated as St. Petersburg. Again, don't go anywhere alone, not even out the door of your hotel without your group and the translator.

    Always have your documents and passport with you. Always. Make a copy of your passport to carry with you in case your passport gets lost. Carry the passport in a different pocket than your copy of same. Always keep your passport, documents and wallet in your inside jacket or coat pockets, not in pockets that are open to the outside. Do not show large amounts of money in public, not only here but anywhere else you may travel. Your country is probably more dangerous than Russia but don't be foolish.

    Always be polite and respectful to everyone here and in life in general. When you come here, you are a guest and here at the pleasure of Russia. Remember that.

    Don't try to find a little fun with the local young women. You don't have any idea about them and I would strongly recommend that while you may admire the beauty of Russian women, leave them alone. Stay celibate during your visit here, it will be better for you.

    Auslander
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 pm

    auslander wrote:I will give you the benefit of the doubt and provide some information. I am a foreigner living in Russia for over ten years.

    Aeroflot is the Russian national airline. They are better than Air France.

    Since you don't speak Russian, never go anywhere alone except in your hotel, as in the restaurant. You will find few people outside of St. Petersburg who speak French and probably not many in St. Pete either. English, you will have better luck, it's not uncommon to find English speakers here. Depending on your accent, you may be able to converse with them. Do not use slang and speak English slowly and clearly to them. Never think that the people near you don't understand what you are saying to your comrades. Therefore, be careful what you do say and don't use obscene language in either French or English, or for that matter German.

    When you go out of Hotel, always go with your group and I'm sure your group will have competent translators. Do not go anywhere alone in St. Petersburg.

    Do not get in a discussion of politics. If someone asks, tell them you are not political and have no opinion on anything political. If they persist, change the subject to the weather or your restaurant or how beautiful St. Petersburg is. Don't get in to any discussions about the war in Syria or the war in Novorossiya or anything about Krimea and Sevastopol. Do the same thing, change the subject no matter what you may or may not feel about any of the three events.

    It's cold this time of year, really cold, in St. Petersburg, think colder than a mother-in-law's kiss. Dress warmly. Irkutsk is more cold than St. Pete. Irkutsk is a provincial city, no where near as sophisticated as St. Petersburg. Again, don't go anywhere alone, not even out the door of your hotel without your group and the translator.

    Always have your documents and passport with you. Always. Make a copy of your passport to carry with you in case your passport gets lost. Carry the passport in a different pocket than your copy of same. Always keep your passport, documents and wallet in your inside jacket or coat pockets, not in pockets that are open to the outside. Do not show large amounts of money in public, not only here but anywhere else you may travel. Your country is probably more dangerous than Russia but don't be foolish.

    Always be polite and respectful to everyone here and in life in general. When you come here, you are a guest and here at the pleasure of Russia. Remember that.

    Don't try to find a little fun with the local young women. You don't have any idea about them and I would strongly recommend that while you may admire the beauty of Russian women, leave them alone. Stay celibate during your visit here, it will be better for you.

    Auslander

    I speak only French and English and also some spanish if needed. We are a group and propably have a translator and i think one of our female secretaries speaks some russian. My spoken english is not that good, i need time to think about the words, so i dont speak very fast. Very Happy

    As for politics, i dont care about foreign politics. I care for my country. What is good for us. I´m a nationalist as is my whole family. What russia does is none of my business nore do i care. I know crimea but for example dont know what you called novorussiya. So there wont be a problem.

    As for documents, yes i always have my passport and a copy and even a picture online on my phone of it for worst case, saved in the cloud.

    What would be interesting, how does "tip" work there?

    When you go to a restaurant, how much do you give the waiters as extra?
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 472
    Points : 504
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:07 pm

    Aristide wrote:

    What would be interesting, how does "tip" work there?

    When you go to a restaurant, how much do you give the waiters as extra?

    Oooh last time I checked it was exacly $ 1141417461764575412745 with 12 Riechsmarks for good mesure. And you also have to give it in a very specific order.

    OH wait I almost forgot you also have to do a Nazi salute exacly 10 seconds after and leav the room within the next 5.
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 pm

    It was a serious question, its done different in different countries. In France it is usually between 5 and 10% of the money you have to pay. In Japan you give no tip, because it is seen as insult. So it varies in all countries.
    avatar
    Vladimir79

    Posts : 2497
    Points : 3375
    Join date : 2009-07-10

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Vladimir79 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 pm

    Aristide wrote:

    I understand. Well i guess we will mostly stay in a group but i propably will also roam alone sometimes.

    As for Irkoutsk, can you tell me if it is possible to visit Baikal from there easily?

    Easily?  Not this time of year.  I would suggest going with a travel group and maybe taking the hovercraft ice tour.
    avatar
    Tolstoy

    Posts : 17
    Points : 15
    Join date : 2015-07-12

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Tolstoy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:41 am

    Aristide wrote:It was a serious question, its done different in different countries. In France it is usually between 5 and 10% of the money you have to pay. In Japan you give no tip, because it is seen as insult. So it varies in all countries.

    Yes around 10%. However, some customers even give 15% if the service is great.

    auslander wrote: Don't try to find a little fun with the local young women. You don't have any idea about them and I would strongly recommend that while you may admire the beauty of Russian women, leave them alone.

    But why auslander ? Just curious.
    avatar
    The-thing-next-door

    Posts : 472
    Points : 504
    Join date : 2017-09-18
    Location : Soviet Interdimentional Command

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  The-thing-next-door on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:53 am

    Tolstoy wrote:
    auslander wrote: Don't try to find a little fun with the local young women. You don't have any idea about them and I would strongly recommend that while you may admire the beauty of Russian women, leave them alone.

    But why auslander ? Just curious.

    Probably because Russian women are not ukrainian.
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

    Tolstoy wrote:
    Aristide wrote:It was a serious question, its done different in different countries. In France it is usually between 5 and 10% of the money you have to pay. In Japan you give no tip, because it is seen as insult. So it varies in all countries.

    Yes around 10%. However, some customers even give 15% if the service is great.

    auslander wrote: Don't try to find a little fun with the local young women. You don't have any idea about them and I would strongly recommend that while you may admire the beauty of Russian women, leave them alone.

    But why auslander ? Just curious.

    Thanks. I see its similar to here.

    Also whats better in russia? to pay cash to are creditcards accepted? I mostly pay with creditcard. I guess € are not accepted over there so would you advice me to exchange some money?

    As for women, i have a beautiful girlfriend Very Happy

    As french there is more the problem that the women jump on you Wink

    You said there is a Hovercraft near Irkoutsk that can be booked for Baikal tours? I think i can manage one day free there and would really like to go Baikal.

    triphosgene

    Posts : 5
    Points : 8
    Join date : 2015-03-14

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  triphosgene on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:45 pm

    http://visit-irkutsk.com/traveller-information/tourist-information-office/
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:40 pm

    triphosgene wrote:http://visit-irkutsk.com/traveller-information/tourist-information-office/


    Thank you. I will see whats possible. Well i guess in this season its hard or not really possible to travel to Baikal when you have just one day for that.
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2344
    Points : 2501
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Cyberspec on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 am

    No offence, but you sound like your preparing to go to an alien planet....quite funny Cool
    avatar
    Aristide

    Posts : 229
    Points : 261
    Join date : 2017-12-31
    Age : 24
    Location : Aix-en-Provence

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Aristide on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:59 am

    Cyberspec wrote:No offence, but you sound like your preparing to go to an alien planet....quite funny Cool

    For someone from France or Europe in general Russia is quite alien. Its very different from here and its better to be prepared when going to a foreign country.

    I´m back home now and it was interesting there.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Russia save for a French? What to do?

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:12 am