Russia Defence Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

+62
VARGR198
Podlodka77
Mig-31BM2 Super Irbis-E
Krepost
xia3962243
limb
Arrow
lancelot
thegopnik
ALAMO
Mir
Russian_Patriot_
RTN
Scorpius
TMA1
magnumcromagnon
Backman
Daniel_Admassu
LMFS
Maximmmm
owais.usmani
Isos
Dima
jhelb
Admin
mnztr
Rodion_Romanovic
Gazputin
hoom
southpark
dino00
GunshipDemocracy
flamming_python
Kimppis
chinggis
Tsavo Lion
slasher
miketheterrible
PapaDragon
kumbor
Nibiru
d_taddei2
Labrador
Big_Gazza
x_54_u43
marat
AlfaT8
SeigSoloyvov
Luq man
walle83
Hole
George1
runaway
GarryB
verkhoturye51
franco
KiloGolf
medo
JohninMK
ATLASCUB
kvs
Singular_Transform
66 posters

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2

PapaDragon
    PapaDragon

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2

Post  PapaDragon Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Singular_Transform wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    Tsavo Lion wrote:"Admiral Kuznetsov" will stop smoking
    https://lenta.ru/news/2020/06/26/admiralkuznetsov
    hat's good, Smoking is a bad habit, the poor thing was a chain smoker.
    He did stop smoking once he was locked up in retirement home and put on life support
    Family just can't bring themselves to sign DNR form though

The Kuznetsov younger than half than the carriers of the USA : )

And is still failing at being half as useful : ) )
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Empty Re: Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Even if it's 100% useless as an a/c carrier, as a CG armed with CMs that can hit ships, shores & targets deep inland it's not useless at all. As a training CV, it'll save training time for crews of new CV/Ns.
    Singular_Transform
    Singular_Transform

Post  Singular_Transform Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:45 pm

PapaDragon wrote:

And is still failing at being half as useful : ) )

For what ?

I mean, appart from PR use, what other utility the carriers had for the USA expedition forces in the past 70 years ?

JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Singular_Transform wrote:
    For what ?

I mean, appart from PR use, what other utility the carriers had for the USA expedition forces in the past 70 years ?

Beating the shit out of sundry 3rd World countries who don't do what they are told, is what US carriers have been successful at.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:10 pm

GarryB wrote:They are just upset because it will be one less thing they can bitch about...

Never any mention about how much Phantoms and B-52s smoke... it is only bad when Russian things do it...

Then you need to read better, as I said it's nice they fixed that problem, sure I attached a bit of a joke to it.

None of what I said was complaining.
    Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Never any mention about how much Phantoms and B-52s smoke...
    FYI, F-4 Phantoms r gone, some still being used as UAV targets, & B-52s r being re-engined.
    Singular_Transform
    Singular_Transform

Post  Singular_Transform Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:44 pm

Tsavo Lion wrote:
    Never any mention about how much Phantoms and B-52s smoke...
    FYI, F-4 Phantoms r gone, some still being used as UAV targets, & B-52s r being re-engined.

And the Kuznetsov will be re-engined as well....
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:26 am

Then you need to read better, as I said it's nice they fixed that problem, sure I attached a bit of a joke to it.

The fact that you identify yourself as part of the group of people I was talking about says enough in itself... Have I listed the names of those in that group?

But then to make such shallow criticisms you would need to be the sort that jumps to conclusions...

Phantoms smoked heavily their entire operational lives but was barely mentioned... B-52s are even worse and have basically the same engines they entered service with in the 1950s. The fact that they might be fixing the engines for the B-52s with newer engines is possibly a solution to a problem that was rarely anything more than a passing comment. For Russian aircraft and ships however it is evidence they don't know what they are doing... even more ironic is that the RD-33 is a very solid engine that can cope with regular airflow changes including reverse airflows in tail slides and other high angle manouvers... but all that is mentioned is that they put out a little smoke in max dry thrust...

SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:17 am

GarryB wrote:

The fact that you identify yourself as part of the group of people I was talking about says enough in itself... Have I listed the names of those in that group?

But then to make such shallow criticisms you would need to be the sort that jumps to conclusions...

Considering the fact I was one of the two you where talking about, it's not jumping to a conclusion. It could have only been me and Papa, since we were the only two who said anything.

You're an admin, act like it. Don't try and pull the deflection card when you get called out. My criticisms aren't shallow they are realistic truth, I am no fanboy so I won't sugarcoat or pretend to see the situation different then it is.

Has I said before, I'll give Russia credit when its deserved (and I have) but I'll also criticize them when it's deserved. No country is beyond that and yes I have also done the same to my own country.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:25 am

I specifically chose not to name any names... you have chosen two names yourself... and you can do that if you wish...

I am not interested in making this personal... the people who act the way I am describing know who they are... I didn't think it was necessary to name names, but if I was going to name names there would be more than two on that list... I choose not to make it personal.

Plus if you happen to look back it was more than two that "joked" about it.

No jokes about Phantoms or B-52s though...

And please... I am admin so I should be above that... please.

Deflection?

Why?

I was talking about a bigger problem than just two or more individuals on this site, and didn't really think it was necessary to name names.

You can keep making your stupid jokes all you like... and jokes about how long ships take to build and put into service... and how many Russian sailors die when their submarines have accidents... I wont ban you for that... but I suspect it wont reflect well on you... I am not going to stop you or anyone else being a dick...

Certain members also hold views about race and intelligence... banning them doesn't solve anything, but removing them from the discussion narrows the discussion to the point where it becomes a circle of yes men and therefore pointless.

Besides this is not my first experience of forums... they change and evolve over time and no matter how often the idiots get banned there is a never ending stream to replace them... not that I am suggesting you or PD are idiots... if you were it would be easy to wave the ban stick... having said that other interesting members have also moved on... I usually found Book to be interesting and informative, and TR1... and Militarov could be interesting too... but I can't stop anyone from leaving if they choose.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:53 am

You can keep making your stupid jokes all you like... and jokes about how long ships take to build and put into service... and how many Russian sailors die when their submarines have accidents... I wont ban you for that... but I suspect it wont reflect well on you... I am not going to stop you or anyone else being a dick...

Okay don't be saying I make jokes about dead service members, that's making it "personal"

When have I ever joked about Russian sailors who died from accidents? that isn't funny. Because I have never joked about that, I pointed out the fact Russians have lost more men than us in sub related accidents and they have that's a fact. if it's being a dick, saying facts sorry, then sure I am a dick.

I respect those who died in service, So don't be trying to take any cheap shots with a topic like that alright, I am going to leave this conversation at that.
    Rodion_Romanovic
    Rodion_Romanovic

Post  Rodion_Romanovic Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:18 am

GarryB wrote:
    For Russian aircraft and ships however it is evidence they don't know what they are doing... even more ironic is that the RD-33 is a very solid engine that can cope with regular airflow changes including reverse airflows in tail slides and other high angle manouvers... but all that is mentioned is that they put out a little smoke in max dry thrust...

Actually the latest version of that engine the RD-33MK, the one that is on the Mig29K, mig35 and possibly in the newly built Mig29M/M2, in addition to having longer service life, higher thrust and being digitally controlled, should also have solved the black smoke problem of the earlier mig29
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:28 am

Actually the latest version of that engine the RD-33MK, the one that is on the Mig29K, mig35 and possibly in the newly built Mig29M/M2, in addition to having longer service life, higher thrust and being digitally controlled, should also have solved the black smoke problem of the earlier mig29

Agree... but my comments are directed at trolls that think smoky engines mean anything at all.

When it comes to performance making the engines not smoke any more would be pretty low on my list and I suspect on theirs too.

Tsavo Lion
    Tsavo Lion

Post  Tsavo Lion Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Some USN ships also smoked heavily, but still beat the IJN:
    https://www.thoughtco.com/uss-north-carolina-bb-55-2361550

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpeter-Maryland-BB-46-1945-Building/dp/B010LWKN30

Even if Adm K. will continue to smoke, if if it's not taken out of action by the Covid-19/20/21 like the CVN-71 was, it won't make much of difference for its potential enemy.

Last edited by Tsavo Lion on Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 am

Can someone of you make sense of this? What system are they talking about?

Another development presented at the Army-2020 International Military-Technical Forum is a device for launching carrier-based aircraft. It was originally created for the Indian Armed Forces. But very soon the device can be found on the aircraft carrier "Admiral Kuznetsov". The contract has already been signed. The unit is virtually indestructible: it consists of 20 conversion units. It only takes 30 seconds to replace each one.

“It provides all the characteristics declared even if two units fail. It will take no more than 30 seconds to replace a failed unit, ”explains Alexander Ivanovskiy, deputy director of the design bureau - head of the converter technology department at New ERA JSC.

Еще одна представленная на Международном военно-техническом форуме «Армия-2020» разработка - устройство для запуска самолетов палубной авиации. Изначально его создавали для индийских Вооруженных сил. Но уже совсем скоро устройство можно будет встретить на авианосце «Адмирал Кузнецов». Контракт уже подписан. Агрегат фактически неубиваемый: состоит из 20 преобразовательных блоков. Для того чтобы заменить каждый из них, уходит всего 30 секунд.

«Все характеристики заявленные он обеспечивает даже при выходе из строя двух блоков. Для замены вышедшего из строя блока потребуется не более 30 секунд», - объясняет заместитель директора конструкторского бюро - начальник отдела преобразовательной техники АО «Новая ЭРА» Александр Ивановский.

https://tvzvezda.ru/news/opk/content/20208252040-0rrXu.html
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:15 am

New Era seem to be the company that is doing the electrics in ships, vessels and subs for the Russian Navy.

Sound to me like they are offering some sort of electrical catapult system.... dare I say an EMALS that can be fitted to the Kuznetsov even though when it was designed and built it was believed to be too small to have a catapult system... mainly because there would not be enough room to carry an AWACS type fixed wing aircraft that would require a cat system to launch it.

Perhaps a cat system could be used to launch an AEW drone with fixed wing performance in a smaller package and longer endurance and altitude performance than a helicopter?

Should be interesting.
    mnztr

Post  mnztr Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:54 pm

The whole concept of AWACs is evolving. Its very likely rather then the Hawkeye concept, there will be drones which are much lighter and they will just act as radar antennas. These will transmit telemetry back to the ship where the sector radar operators and computers will work to identify and cataogize threats. This can provide much greater coverage at a fraction of the operating cost. It will not need catapults. Its possible they will install CATs to increase payload of the planes.
    SeigSoloyvov
    SeigSoloyvov

Post  SeigSoloyvov Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Oh that system, its a type of STOBAR catapult.

It wouldn't make sense to put emails on this ship and the Russians do not have functional EMALS catapults.
    Hole
    Hole

Post  Hole Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekongz10
    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekonil10
    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekonoi10

GarryB, medo, George1, Big_Gazza, tanino, Maximmmm and miketheterrible like this post

Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:13 am

Hole wrote:Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekongz10
    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekonil10
    Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 Ekonoi10

I wish that by the time she retires they have enough money kicking around to make in a museum-ship in St-Pete or something. Would love to visit it.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:31 pm

I hope that by the time that happens she has done some very good things for Russia internationally and is respected a bit more, but that is a bit wishful thinking... it could cure cancer and the west would mention on the 20th page that it was the Kuznetsov that cured the cancer and the first 20 pages about how cancer in the west has finally been cured...

Don't want to see the Russians invade or bomb anyone with it, but would like to see it operating around the world doing good... like sending a surface group to Africa and the Pacific Islands and central and south America with a hospital ship that could treat various different problems like eyesight problems that can be treated.

There was a kiwi called Fred Hollows who did a lot of work for making eye surgery affordable for the poor... and I think Ironically... such a hospital ship visit would be hated by the government, but welcomed by the people in the US of A... the only problem of course is that you would get people pretending they suffered harm and trying to sue them for malpractise... it simply would not be worth it... but central and south America would be appreciated... they could take on doctors in Cuba to join the practise because Cuba already makes valuable foreign dollars trade in their doctors going around and treating people...

Great PR, and good experience for the doctors and crew travelling around the world and helping people... you have a trade delegation of companies representatives to also travel and explore trade opportunities around the world too... make it a commercial thing that will bring in trade and good will at the same time...
    JohninMK
    JohninMK

Post  JohninMK Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:09 pm

GarryB wrote:
    There was a kiwi called Fred Hollows who did a lot of work for making eye surgery affordable for the poor... and I think Ironically... such a hospital ship visit would be hated by the government, but welcomed by the people in the US of A... the only problem of course is that you would get people pretending they suffered harm and trying to sue them for malpractise... it simply would not be worth it... but central and south America would be appreciated... they could take on doctors in Cuba to join the practise because Cuba already makes valuable foreign dollars trade in their doctors going around and treating people...

Great PR, and good experience for the doctors and crew travelling around the world and helping people... you have a trade delegation of companies representatives to also travel and explore trade opportunities around the world too... make it a commercial thing that will bring in trade and good will at the same time...

A well beaten path, with a big upgrade of an ex a Danish train ferry, funded by a Scottish business woman. Which is now being replaced and is much larger. Seems to mainly work off Africa.

Volunteers from over 50 nations have served onboard the Africa Mercy, which was acquired in 1999 and refurbished specifically for the Mercy Ships mission. It is the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, effectively more than doubling the annual medical capacity of her predecessors. https://www.mercyships.org/who-we-are/our-ships/the-africa-mercy/
    Maximmmm
    Maximmmm

Post  Maximmmm Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 am

GarryB wrote:I hope that by the time that happens she has done some very good things for Russia internationally and is respected a bit more, but that is a bit wishful thinking... it could cure cancer and the west would mention on the 20th page that it was the Kuznetsov that cured the cancer and the first 20 pages about how cancer in the west has finally been cured...

Don't want to see the Russians invade or bomb anyone with it, but would like to see it operating around the world doing good... like sending a surface group to Africa and the Pacific Islands and central and south America with a hospital ship that could treat various different problems like eyesight problems that can be treated.

Yeah, I like the idea, but I think they're aiming for that with the new rusky mistrals they're building.
    Problem with Kuzya is that it's expensive and risky to go far with him.
    I really like the way the intrepid museum is set up in NY, was awesome to visit. Something like that would be super cool.
    GarryB
    GarryB

Post  GarryB Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:01 am

What I am suggesting is not charity, this is business oriented... this is to help Russian friendly countries, but also to promote trade deals and get Russian names out there.

People here complain that there is no world famous Russian brands that make TVs... well if you don't go door to door telling them how will they know?

This is good PR and also creating and improving business ties... not just sales of Russian military equipment, but tractors and food and medicine and other materials that Russia could produce and provide and to explore what this or that country can provide in return.

No regime change shit or demands that workers rights be ignored to create cheap labour.... just... we can do this and make this... what have you got that we could use in return...

All while doing good things.

Well Intrepid has quite a history under it's belt while Kuznetzov's one deployment boiled down to unsuccessful trial run

I doubt it will stay in one piece past it's decommissioning

Quite a history of white supremacy and colonialist murder... I am sure if they designed new engines for the K that used whales and dolphins and baby seals as propulsion and spewed pure Novachok out the funnel, and operated it for 50 years it might get a comparable history under its belt.
    LMFS
    LMFS

Post  LMFS Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:29 pm

This is supposed to be the latest picture of the Kuznetsov:

Aircraft Carrier Admiral Kuznetsov: News #2 - Page 24 EnidcAoWEAMFVwj?format=jpg&name=large

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 am