Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

What will be last soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service

d_taddei2

What will be last soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:17 pm

So what do you think will be the last Soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service????

For me personally i think it will be the MT-LB although I think the T-72 would be second. (And non armour vehicle would be the Bm-21.)
    Main reason for my choice is down to replacement and usefulness of the MT-LB. Some people have stated the Kurganets will replace the MT-LB however I believe that it will replace AFV first before even considering the replacement of the MT-LB and that will likely take many years. And I am still not 100% convinced that kurganets will even replace it, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia doesn't design a new vehicle for the replacement of MT-LB possibly using a loose design on the kurganets.

But as it stands the MT-LB is cheap, reliable, good mobility, fit for purpose, and highly versatile, So no need for quick replacement. And it's not designed for fighting etc so hence T-72 will likely be replaced before the MT-LB due to being a direct fighting role although I am sure T-72 will be around for a long time in front line service before being fully put in reserve.
    SeigSoloyvov

Re: What will be last soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service

Post  SeigSoloyvov on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:So what do you think will be the last Soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service????

For me personally i think it will be the MT-LB although I think the T-72 would be second. (And non armour vehicle would be the Bm-21.)
    Main reason for my choice is down to replacement and usefulness of the MT-LB. Some people have stated the Kurganets will replace the MT-LB however I believe that it will replace AFV first before even considering the replacement of the MT-LB and that will likely take many years. And I am still not 100% convinced that kurganets will even replace it, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia doesn't design a new vehicle for the replacement of MT-LB possibly using a loose design on the kurganets.

But as it stands the MT-LB is cheap, reliable, good mobility, fit for purpose, and highly versatile, So no need for quick replacement. And it's not designed for fighting etc so hence T-72 will likely be replaced before the MT-LB due to being a direct fighting role although I am sure T-72 will be around for a long time in front line service before being fully put in reserve.

Talking about MT-LBM or Regular MT-LB's?

The MT-LB will remain for awhile we still use M113's

Granted we will replace them quickly once the Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle Program selects a choice vehicle.
    0nillie0

Post  0nillie0 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm

d_taddei2 wrote:So what do you think will be the last Soviet armoured vehicle to be in front line service????

I agree with MT-LB(µ). Its basically a tractor that most people can operate with little training, and a reliable workhorse which is easily adaptable for a plethora of roles.
    d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:56 pm

SeigSoloyvov wrote:

Talking about MT-LBM or Regular MT-LB's?

The MT-LB will remain for awhile we still use M113's

Granted we will replace them quickly once the Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle Program selects a choice vehicle.

There's many variants in use in Russian forces so as a whole they are very similar. M113 are an APC while MT-LB are a multi purpose vehicle with much more uses and variants.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 am

The MT-LB is very widely used in an enormous range of vehicle types... from the original artillery tractor and troop carrier where the snow is too deep for BMPs through all sorts of engineer models command vehicles, Radar platforms, transport types and other modified types.

The BTR and BMP vehicles are also widely used in various modifications too.

Would be too hard to guess... and we probably would not know for certain for 200 years anyway.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 pm