Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Syrian civil war ---- views on equipment used

d_taddei2

Syrian civil war ---- views on equipment used

Post  d_taddei2 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 am

Even though the war isn't over yet but it's been going on for over 6 yrs now I think everyone on this forum has a view on what equipment has served the SAA and Russian armed forces the best and what hasn't. So I thought it would be great to start a thread on the subject hopefully there won't be too much squabbling/disagreement lol.

My personal opinion the following has been a great success in terms of reliability and effectiveness. (I will focus mainly on SAA)

T-55
    T-62
    BMP-1&2
    Mig-21
    Mig-23
    Su-22
    Mi-24/35
    2S1
    BM-21
    M-46 130mm
    Zu-23-2
    Zpu- 1/2/4
    Zsu-23-4
    Malyutka /AT-3 sagger
    Konkurs / AT-5 spandrel
    SPG-9
    RPG-7
    Tos-1

From list above most would agree these designs are pretty old and in western armed forces views out dated (apart from Tos-1). But what the Syrian conflict has proven is that in this type of conflict and length of conflict that you don't need modern systems and that older equipment and cheap equipment has been more suited to this type of conflict and even systems that were meant for a different purpose can be used effectively in a different role for example anti aircraft guns mounted on pickups/trucks and zsu 23-4 ground support role haven proven to be very deadly. And vehicles such as T-55 who's main gun would be useless against modern armour has proven to be the mainstay of the SAA reliable and cheap ammo has made it effective at destroying buildings and armour in this conflict then we have the M-46 artillery piece which is still proving to be reliable and durable despite the number of rounds it's had to fire. But I think a special mention has to made for the aircraft despite being outdated and worn have proven to be extremely vital to them mi-24, Su -22, mig-23 & mig-21 as well as a handful of L-39 and gazelle helicopters and a worthy mention of mi-8 transport heli's but the one I think deserves the most praise is the Mig - 21 mainly due to the age of the aircraft, reliability, and number of sorties and despite all this it's still going strong and proving to be useful.

It's a real shame that there wasn't footage/pics or mention of Tulpan, 160mm mortar, zsu-57-2, and s-23 180mm as Syria does have them and I am sure they would have been used. Also no mention of bdrm-2, Btr60/70 or PT-76 all could have been useful for recent river crossing no bridge needed. Another less seen vehicle is the MT-LB and I am pretty sure that many of them have been used with various creations mounted on top would have been great to see some pics.

Anyway what's your views?

George1

Re: Syrian civil war ---- views on equipment used

Post  George1 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

we have so many threads for syrian war.... Just see the Syria section. Separate topics for every branch of syrian army

d_taddei2

Post  d_taddei2 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

George1 wrote:we have so many threads for syrian war.... Just see the Syria section. Separate topics for every branch of syrian army

Yes I know but this encompasses all and this is a different topic what your suggesting would require a person to post in separate threads I.e. syrian army syrian air force etc. But if mod wants to remove it they can. But I don't see the problem.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 am