Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

BPM-97 "Vystrel" APC

medo

Russian Wheeled Light Armored vehicles

Post  medo on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:07 pm

I would like to ask about recce vehicle Dozor, which is based on kamaz Vystrel armored vehicle. Anyone have any info about remote weapon station with 12,7 mm machine gun. What FCS does it have, does it have night capabilities? It seems it carry small UAV ZALA 421-08. Could it send picture from UAV in real time to higher command?
    GarryB

Re: BPM-97 "Vystrel" APC

Post  GarryB on Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 am

Isn't the Dozor-B a Ukrainian vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dozor-B

Made by the Kharkov Morozov Machine building plant (that also makes T-80s).

Or do you mean the company that makes the DOZOR UAV

http://www.kronshtadt.ru/en/index.php

With its UAV info on this website:

http://www.uav-dozor.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=17

medo

Post  medo on Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 am

No, this vehicle is Kamaz Vystrel, but in Moscow parade they said it is named Dozor.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:35 am

Oops, my bad.

Went to the Kamaz website and did a search for Dozor and came up with this:

Another vehicle presented at the exhibition – a special armored vehicle KAMAZ-43269 Dozor (Patrol) intended for patrol and reconnaissance services as well as for convoying showed itself to good advantage at tests. At the same time Dozor protects a crew and landing forces. The armored vehicle can quickly gain a speed of 90 km p.h. which ensures successful execution of tasks. Dozor is meant for operation at the ambient temperature from -45°Ñ to +50°Ñ, the relative air humidity of 98%, the wind speed of 30 meters per second, in the mountain terrain at the heights of 4500 m. There is a room for 6 soldiers, including a driver and a commander in the vehicle, and a 16-millimeter armor provides them with a full local armoring under fire according to the 6th protection class. Moreover the soldiers have got an opportunity to fire the enemy through loopholes.

KAMAZ: Best for Army!

On 8 July the 7th International Exhibition of Armament, Military Equipment and Ammunition was opened in Nizhny Tagil. The exposition of KAMAZ Inc. took one of the central places there.

Military equipment, armament, ammunition and their components as well as equipment of railroad troops were presented at the exhibition. A considerable interest was traditionally aroused by new products of backup facilities. Being the leader of the Russian truck industry and one of guarantors of defence capability of the Russian Federation KAMAZ Inc. presents production of various kinds.

Some customers were interested in an artillery tractor KAMAZ-6350 with an armored cab and a habitable compartment for a team as well as an artic KAMAZ-65225.

Vehicles on KAMAZ-5350 chassis – a side KAMAZ-5350 with an armored cab and a functional module and a side KAMAZ-5350 with a crane-manipulating installation IM-55 look more modest but no less functional and efficient.

A special armored vehicle KAMAZ-43269 Dozor (Patrol) intended for patrol and reconnaissance services as well as for convoying showed itself to good advantage at tests.

One of the most powerful vehicles – a side KAMAZ-6560 (8x8) with a hydromechanical transmission is the last representative of the military “collection” of the Kama auto plant.

The exhibition was closed on 11 July.

Tuesday, 28 July 2009

and
    During the demonstration program, the audience managed to appreciate propulsive performance of KAMAZ vehicles, their high cross-country ability and versatile use. An armored vehicle KAMAZ-43269 “Dozor” (Patrol) was a great success. It attracted the Kuwait Ministry of Defence representatives’ great attention. And when during the demonstration under firing ground conditions “Dozor” got over a ford so deep that the water level was higher than its roof, many spectators couldn’t help crying enthusiastically.

medo

Post  medo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:45 pm

medo

Post  medo on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:48 pm

http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/83/83/58/12850018.jpg

On the picture here is Dozor recce vehicle. On the first one is seen small UAV, but RCWS is not the best seen. It have 12,7 mm machine gun, but almost nothing is known about FCS and if it have any stabilization.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Sorry, I can't read Russian but this short video shows a 12.7mm gun position for a vehicle and in one of the comments is a word that looks like Dozor... it has the symbol for D and then 030 and then a P which I know is an R and then an a and an x so it says dozorax.

Ah well... have a look, it is only about 25 seconds of video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxfKm7_YV_E&feature=player_embedded
    medo

Post  medo on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:43 pm

I think RWS on this picture is better visible.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 am

I think I might have the solution to this problem.

I think Dozor refers to the name of the UAV and not the vehicle.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:39 am

medo wrote:Modernized KAMAZ Vystrel-M from Russian army 19th motorized Brigade....

Apparently that's a border guard vehicle.

Upgraded Vistrel

Pics and video are from the 2 tower blog with lots more stuff on the Vistrel

Arrow http://twower.livejournal.com/614112.html

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks for the photos, vid and link.

From the photos it is interesting with those air filters above the rear doors, this vehicle clearly has an NBC system.
    Would like it better if they fitted the new BTR-80A type turret rather than the old BTR model.

Perhaps the new turret has too much below it to fit...
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:57 am

From the link above, this vehicle could be the APC and air defence vehicle... I wonder if this might be the family vehicle for the Light Brigade units?
    They might replace the 125mm gun armed version with a Tigr-M with Kornet-M missiles?

I see there is a version with the BTR-80A/82 type turret with a 30mm cannon, so it is good it can use that turret too.

ie:

medo

Post  medo on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Excellent photos of Vystrels with Strela-10 and BTR-82A turret. I think in one of shows (MAKS or any other) they also show Vystrel equipped with BTR-82A type of turret with twin barrel GSh-30 gun and two Igla missiles.

It looks like border guards Vystrels use turrets with machine gun and AGS. Is this turret stabilized to fire on the move?

Anyone know how many Vystrels are actually Russian MoD, interior army and border guard? After all it is very useful vehicle based on standard Kamaz truck, what is also fine for logistics. I don't think it is worse than Iveco LMV, although it is heavier and not in the same class.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:16 pm

It looks like border guards Vystrels use turrets with machine gun and AGS. Is this turret stabilized to fire on the move?

All depends on whether it is the BTR-80A or the BTR-82A turret I guess.

I don't think they would use a patrol vehicle for delivering fire on the move very often however so they might not be able to justify the expense.

Of course if the old BTR-80A turret is no longer produced they might justify just making one standard turret... the actual difference of course is the stabilising systems.

I hope they do as along with stabilised gun it has single 14.5mm calibre belts and other nice things too.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:38 pm

medo wrote:Anyone know how many Vystrels are actually Russian MoD, interior army and border guard? After all it is very useful vehicle based on standard Kamaz truck, what is also fine for logistics. I don't think it is worse than Iveco LMV, although it is heavier and not in the same class.

Not sure about overall numbers in all services, but I think the border guards are the main user. AFAIK it isn't in widespread use in the Army. It's more of a trial batch with a couple of units. The upgraded version is a result of the trials. The recon section of the Brigade stationed in South Osetia has them and they are equipped with a mini UAV

Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:50 am

medo wrote:Is this turret stabilized to fire on the move?

I forgot to add....yes it's stabilised.

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:35 am

Nice.

Reminds me a little of the BTR-152 actually, but with fewer wheels and better internal arrangement.
    medo

Post  medo on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't think they would use a patrol vehicle for delivering fire on the move very often however so they might not be able to justify the expense.
    [quote]

Maybe not that often on the move, but they could fire warning shots to the vehicle or group of people on the move and stabilization give better accuracy when firing, that you don't kill people or do border incident, when it is not needed. Also it could give better self defense capabilities for violent places like North Caucasus.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:58 pm

A moving target is harder to hit... particularly with unguided weapons like RPGs so I am happy for whatever the reason is.

Hopefully they just took the BTR-82s turret as is, which means some night vision and stabilised optics too... though nothing like the BMP-3M level thermals of course.
    Cyberspec

Post  Cyberspec on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:35 am

Came across pics of promo material for YMZ diesel engines for various vehicles, including military ones.

- 215 hp for Tiger-M, SPM-1/2 (red)

- 240 hp for Volk (blue)

- 300 hp for 'perspective military vehicle' (unmarked)

- 312 hp for SPM-3 (red)

- 350 hp for Typhoon 4x4 (blue)

- 450 hp for Typhoon 6x6 (green)

Hopefully they just took the BTR-82s turret as is, which means some night vision and stabilised optics too... though nothing like the BMP-3M level thermals of course

It's fully stabilised.

Optical Sight? .. camera?

GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

Well that is interesting...

The Typhoon is the family of vehicles for the light brigades so it seems to include 4 and 6 wheeled versions. I would suspect the artillery/direct fire support/tank vehicle will be 6 wheeled... likely 120mm mortar for light artillery and perhaps 100mm/30mm BMP-3 like armament for the fire support vehicle, and 45/57mm gun for the light tank on a 6 wheeled platform.

I would guess looking at 4 wheeled Volk and the 6 wheeled versions of the Volk we are talking about 6-7 ton for the 4 wheeled vehicle and 10-11 tons for the 6 wheeled vehicle.

Both versions of Volk use a 250-300hp engine though the mobility requirements for Typhoon suggest that a 350hp for the 4 wheel and 450hp engine for the 6 wheel might result in similar total weights for improved off road performance compared with Volk.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

It's fully stabilised.

Optical Sight? .. camera?

Very Happy Both.

Have seen this sort of thing on our LAV IIIs.

It captures a forward view for the squad in the back.

Normally a squad is closed up inside the vehicle and has little view of the outside and it can be a bit disorienting when you get out to find out what is happening and get your bearings so to speak.

This camera basically allows them to put an LCD screen in the squad compartment at the rear so it is like being able to sit in the front seat so they can see where they are going and where they are driving so that when they have to get out they are oriented so to speak.
    medo

Post  medo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm

This small fixed camera is not a sight for armament, but a big closed tube left of machine gun pylon. Vistrel have four fixed small cameras looking in all four directions, so I think, they are more for driver or commander to see situation around the vehicle.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:00 am

They could certainly be used by the driver and commander to improve external vision.

There are also some versions of the vehicle with extra armour plates that fold down over the windscreens for extra protection... during which the small TV cameras would be invaluable for viewing what is happening outside the vehicle and perhaps to provide visibility to get the vehicle out of an ambush area.
    GarryB

BPM-97 "Vystrel" APC

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 am

Interesting that the first photo has a BMP-2 turret with the sides of the vehicle re-profiled to its shape...

and the side shot shows the two front axles are to the front with a rear axle separated at the rear... clearly showing most of the weight is in the front of the vehicle.

The BMP-2 turret is an old model turret without the upgrades, but then considering this is a light vehicle the older sights is probably adequate, though an upgrade to the new BMP-2 turret with 4 ready to fire Kornet missiles... with Kornet EM missiles fitted this vehicle suddenly becomes rather interesting with a 10km anti aircraft capability and an 8.5km anti armour capability, plus 30mm grenade launcher and 30mm high velocity cannon...

The last few photos showing the troop transport vehicle is interesting with its one piece ramp, while the centre of the ramp seems to have a door when there is less urgency for getting in or out.

The troop transport vehicle has no firing positions in the sides but the BMP-2 turret armed model clearly has firing ports in the rear section and two rear doors.

The Anti mine body shape is pretty clear in both vehicles.

I like them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:46 am