Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Russian Ground Forces: News #2

magnumcromagnon

Re: Russian Ground Forces: News #2

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am

Cpt Caz wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:
    BTW I think I've seen your username on MP.net, the one with the Spike Spiegel/Cowboy Bebop avatar?

Yep, that's me. Smile You have an account there?

About 100 arms samples to be tested at Kapustin Yar range in 2015: http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/746514

Thankfully not, I only lurk there...the amount of censorship on MP.net is astounding, in stark contrast on the russiadefence forum, it's incredibly difficult to get banned. I've seen members on this forum, members of the sinodefense forum, the Pakistani defense forum defense.pk, and other members of other defense forums say that MP.net moderators abuse their powers like no one else, and they attempt to censor any and all Anti-NATO/US rhetoric...I'm American, who's step-father served guard duty on NATO Missile bases in Europe, to attempt to censor all criticism of the Pentagon/NATO is totally unacceptable.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:47 am

Haha, we got ourselves a lurker! - That forum is just terrible, I can't even stand the look of it!

- (Off topic sidenote) My grandfather stormed Iwo Jima... It must of been very interesting being your step-dad during his service!

Off Topic
    Cpt Caz

Post  Cpt Caz on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:57 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Thankfully not, I only lurk there...the amount of censorship on MP.net is astounding, in stark contrast on the russiadefence forum, it's incredibly difficult to get banned. I've seen members on this forum, members of the sinodefense forum, the Pakistani defense forum defense.pk, and other members of other defense forums say that MP.net moderators abuse their powers like no one else, and they attempt to censor any and all Anti-NATO/US rhetoric...I'm American, who's step-father served guard duty on NATO Missile bases in Europe, to attempt to censor all criticism of the Pentagon/NATO is totally unacceptable.

Yeah, the mods there can be pretty heavy handed at times, and I noticed they often have more patience for some of the more "established" members, giving them what basically amounts to a slap on the wrist for offenses that would probably get a newbie permabanned. Haven't noticed any similar behavior from the mods here, so that's a good thing. Smile

Still though, there's few places as good for sharing content on the Russian armed forces as the Russian Photos thread. That thread is the reason I joined and pretty much the only reason I continue to post there.

48 new vehicles from Kurganmashzavod will participate in the 2015 Victory Day parade: http://vpk.name/news/116310_48_kurganskih_boevyih_mashin_gotovyat_na_parad_pobedyi_v_moskvu.html

- 24 Kurganets-25 (12 APC variant and 12 IFV variant)

- 12 BMD-4M

- 12 BTR-MDM

Last edited by Cpt Caz on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong link)
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 am

Mike E wrote:Haha, we got ourselves a lurker! - That forum is just terrible, I can't even stand the look of it!

- (Off topic sidenote) My grandfather stormed Iwo Jima... It must of been very interesting being your step-dad during his service!

Off Topic

Ha ha, by that do you mean we had some interesting (to say the least) conversations on geopolitics? Then yes you would be correct...lol1
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am

Cpt Caz wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:

Yeah, the mods there can be pretty heavy handed at times, and I noticed they often have more patience for some of the more "established" members, giving them what basically amounts to a slap on the wrist for offenses that would probably get a newbie permabanned. Haven't noticed any similar behavior from the mods here, so that's a good thing. Smile

Still though, there's few places as good for sharing content on the Russian armed forces as the Russian Photos thread. That thread is the reason I joined and pretty much the only reason I continue to post there.

48 new vehicles from Kurganmashzavod will participate in the 2015 Victory Day parade: http://vpk.name/news/116310_48_kurganskih_boevyih_mashin_gotovyat_na_parad_pobedyi_v_moskvu.html

- 24 Kurganets-25 (12 APC variant and 12 IFV variant)

- 12 BMD-4M

- 12 BTR-MDM

Established members like C. Puffs, the guy with M-1 Abrams avatar? I've seen the guy troll Russian photos thread and nothing happened to him, a prima faci case of MP.net favoritism towards Amerikkka Stronkkk trolls.

BTW 24 Kurganets is nice!

Last edited by magnumcromagnon on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 am

magnumcromagnon wrote:
    Mike E wrote:Haha, we got ourselves a lurker! - That forum is just terrible, I can't even stand the look of it!

Off Topic

Ha ha, by that do you mean we had some interesting (to say the least) conversations on geopolitics? Then yes you would be correct...lol1

Yep, that and all the pressure of being stationed at a "missile base"! I don't want to bother you, but do you know what years he served?

24 Kurganets? That would be great!
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 am

Mike E wrote:
    magnumcromagnon wrote:

Off Topic

Yep, that and all the pressure of being stationed at a "missile base"! I don't want to bother you, but do you know what years he served?

24 Kurganets? That would be great!

He served on guard duty during the mid 80's.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:07 am

Thanks!
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:52 am

Mike E

Post  Mike E on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 am

The Atom's turret looks nice and small, the 57 mm gun looks huge in comparison...

Djoka

ATOM

Post  Djoka on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 am

Whats the status of this truly amazing apc ATOM?Is it cancelled or not,because of the sanctions.It really looks awesome.
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

It will be continued as a Russia-only project, and should be based on the Armata platform.

Djoka

Atom

Post  Djoka on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am

Mike E wrote:It will be continued as a Russia-only project, and should be based on the Armata platform.
    Mike do yo think its appearance will be changed.I mean if its going to be based on armata its probably going to change its size and everything else,what do you think?
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Maybe, maybe not... Chances are the the platform will be scaled to the Atom, and not vice-versa. The only change they are probably considering would be reducing the height, as it is a tall vehicle.

Last edited by Mike E on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Austin

Post  Austin on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Russia’s arms program to enhance security forces’ combat capability — Putin

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/748940

MOSCOW, September 10. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia’s new armaments program for 2016-2025 is a special-purpose mechanism designed to enhance the combat capability of its Armed Forces, President Vladimir Putin said on Wednesday.
    Russia began drafting the program in 2013. “It will be the fifth largest state program of the sort in the past 20 years,” the president said.

The program will also help to overcome the crisis in the Russian defence industry and spur its growth, he added.

Putin said large amounts of money had been invested in the program, signifying an almost 10-fold increase from 2.5 trillion roubles ($67 billion) in 2001-2010 to over 20 trillion roubles ($540 billion) in 2011-2020. And an additional 3 billion roubles ($81 million) have been earmarked specifically for the development of the defense industry.

Such concentration of resources was necessary in order to rearm the Army and the Navy within a short period of time, upgrade defense enterprises and make up for the setbacks suffered in the previous years when the defence industry was struggling to survive.
    Viktor

Post  Viktor on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm

magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 am

Viktor wrote:Optronic and 360° AESA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkmTXJqnw1g

Nice although Russia was technically late to the AESA party (thanks to the Yelstin-90's) but with all things said and done post-2016 Russia may very well have more AESA arrays in active service (throughout all military branches) than any other major military power especially considering that the Armata platform will have AESA X-Band radar. Victory Day Parade 2015 will be very interesting to say the least!
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 am

At least AESA technology is now mature...

Austin

Post  Austin on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:44 am

Any idea what the platform is called and what it is used for ?

Is this on Boomerang ?
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Austin wrote:Any idea what the platform is called and what it is used for ?

Is this on Boomerang ?

I have no clue... GarryB or anybody else?
    zg18

Post  zg18 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:05 am

Bastion-P ASh , Crimea
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:46 am

It is clearly BTR based, and also has an AESA array and top mounted optics sensors... however if you look to the rear of the vehicle it has a ramp launcher for a UAV, which suggests it is some sort of recon vehicle, which might include radar and optics observation and also remote monitoring using a drone.

BTW nice vid Zg18... If you go down to the woods today you really are sure of a big surprise... my vote. Wink

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

Austin

Post  Austin on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:51 pm

Not sure where to post but interesting SAP 2015-2020 gets almost the same level of funding as SAP 2020

Rogozin: amount of new state armaments program is comparable to the current

MOSCOW, Sept. 11 - RIA Novosti. Scope of state financing of new armament program of the Russian Federation on the 2016-2025 years will be comparable to the funding of the current program, said on Thursday, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin.

The volume of the current state program to 2020 is 20 trillion rubles.

"They (volumes) are comparable," - Rogozin said on Thursday on the TV channel "Russia 24".

http://ria.ru/defense_safety/20140911/1023712794.html
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:54 am

Things wont get cheaper, but hopefully performance per rouble should dramatically increase.

It will be interesting to see what a modern 21st century Army designed and used for defence will actually look like... the world has never seen that before.

Last edited by GarryB on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:24 pm

GarryB wrote:Things wont get cheaper, but hopefully performance per rouble should dramatically increase.

It will be interesting to see what a modern 21st century for designed and used for defence will actually look like... the world has never seen that before.

Lol, the (current) world has never seen a "modern next century", and it will never if you get what I mean.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:41 am