Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Share
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:If someone fucked up during manufacture or installation it would be detected during spacecraft testing (which should be rigorous and arduous). .........

    As we can see testing was neither rigorous not arduous...


    kvs wrote:You have been pushing your BS theory about how Russians are grossly incompetent since the beginning.
    Put up, or shut up. You know precisely f*ck all about the cases involved and are making the typical NATO
    drone f*cktard conclusions based on MSM conditioning

    Since the beginning? See this is the moment when it's your turn to put up or shut up. Until then you are one who knows precisely fuck all.

    Fucktard drone...

    As for me putting up, I present you exibit A: Angosat-1, dead in orbit.

    I rest my case.


    kvs wrote:...
    At least others have the indirect evidence that Russians can produced world leading technology.

    Given the recent track record, definitely indirect at best...
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:31 pm


    And just on time:

    https://lenta.ru/news/2017/12/27/rogozin/

    ...Rogozin admitted that made on 28 Nov at Vostochny failed launch of the rocket with the upper stage was calculated at the start from another point. "Settings were indeed under Baikonur: did not consider azimuth", — said Deputy Prime Minister and acknowledged that the incident is the result of "systemic errors in management in the management of the Corporation"....


    Yeah, as expected, secret NATO space denial weapon my ass.

    Names. List. Boot up the ass. Now.
    avatar
    GarryB

    Posts : 17226
    Points : 17832
    Join date : 2010-03-30
    Location : New Zealand

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  GarryB on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:02 am

    Not that shocking really... NASA lost several rockets because their engineers worked in imperial measures while their marketing departments were metric and number conversions were not made properly...


    _________________
    “The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

    ― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:41 pm

    Good news, its reported that comms has been restored with Angosat-1 cheers

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4850396

    Specialists managed to establish a connection with the Angolan satellite "Angosat", which was launched on December 26 from the Baikonur cosmodrome, telemetry was received from the apparatus. This was reported on Thursday by a TASS source in the rocket and space industry.

    "Specialists managed to restore communication with the satellite" Angosat ", telemetry was received from the apparatus," the source said.

    TASS has no official confirmation of the information.


    Fingers crossed... russia
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:Good news, its reported that comms has been restored with Angosat-1  cheers

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4850396

    Specialists managed to establish a connection with the Angolan satellite "Angosat", which was launched on December 26 from the Baikonur cosmodrome, telemetry was received from the apparatus. This was reported on Thursday by a TASS source in the rocket and space industry.

    "Specialists managed to restore communication with the satellite" Angosat ", telemetry was received from the apparatus," the source said.

    TASS has no official confirmation of the information.


    Fingers crossed...  russia

    Fucking awesome if true.

    Reading about these fuckups is becoming physically exhausting, like watching your favorite SF TV show becoming a soap-opera as a result of incompetent writers...

    Still, boot up the ass. NOW!!!
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:08 am

    PapaDragon wrote:Fucking awesome if true.

    Reading about these fuckups is becoming physically exhausting, like watching your favorite SF TV show becoming a soap-opera as a result of incompetent writers...

    Still, boot up the ass. NOW!!!

    Agreed 100%.  I'm getting to the point where I almost expect something to fuck up....  and I think senior management needs to take the bulk of the blame.

    BTW Roscosmos confirms that comms has been restored.

    https://www.roscosmos.ru/24522/

    RSC Energia specialists received telemetric information from the spacecraft "Angosat" launched on December 26 by the Zenit-3SLBF space rocket from the Baikonur cosmodrome.

    The satellite received telemetric information, which shows that all the parameters of the on-board systems of the device are normal.


    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/zenit-angosat-launch.html#1228

    During most of the day on December 28, the efforts to contact Angosat-1 continued and in the evening Moscow Time, the official TASS news agency reported that flight controllers had received telemetry from the spacecraft. This fact was also confirmed by the Angolan government. Soon thereafter, TASS quoted industry sources as saying that the communications could had initially been disrupted due to draining of the spacecraft's batteries, but, fortunately, Angosat-1 had already deployed its solar panels, which allowed to restore the power supply. Obviously, such a scenario provides no explanation how the spacecraft ended up with drained batteries and why such an obvious problem could not be avoided.

    Priority now is to figure out the root cause (batteries?) and then determine what went wrong and adopt the appropriate lessons learned.
    avatar
    ZoA

    Posts : 58
    Points : 66
    Join date : 2017-08-20

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  ZoA on Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:45 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:

    Reading about these fuckups is becoming physically exhausting, like watching your favorite SF TV show becoming a soap-opera as a result of incompetent writers...


    Is that STD reference?
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:45 pm

    ZoA wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:

    Reading about these fuckups is becoming physically exhausting, like watching your favorite SF TV show becoming a soap-opera as a result of incompetent writers...

    Is that STD reference?

    Nah, just general feeling. Is ST:Discovery really that bad? Didn't watch it yet.




    Big_Gazza wrote:communications could had initially been disrupted due to draining of the spacecraft's batteries, but, fortunately, Angosat-1 had already deployed its solar panels, which allowed to restore the power supply. Obviously, such a scenario provides no explanation how the spacecraft ended up with drained batteries and why such an obvious problem could not be avoided.

    Seems simple enough, find out who handled those batteries and ascertain whether it was incompetence or malice.




    Shocker: Roskosmos internal investigation has concluded that Roskosmos is not responsible for Vostochnii fuckup. Oh my... Razz

    Roscosmos: flight mission launch on 28 November, designed specifically for Vostochnii

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4849299




    Unfortunately for those dipshits intelligent people are not buying it though:

    Rogozin accused the leadership of "Rosatom" of the system error

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4847421


    Reprimands announced for Vostochnii launch failure

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4848028

    ...."Prepared in order to impose a reprimand: the Executive Director of the Russian space Agency for launch vehicles and operation of ground space infrastructure Andrew Mazurina, Director of the Department to ensure the quality and reliability of the Russian space Agency Viktor Capolino, Director General of FSUE "TsNIIMash" Oleg Gorshkov", - said the state Corporation.
    Reprimands will be given to the Director General of the RCC "Progress" (developer of the rocket "Soyuz-2") Alexander Kirilin, the head of NPO imeni S. A. Lavochkina (the developer of the upper stage "Fregat") Sergey Lemeshevsky, CEO of SPC Automation and instrument making of a name of N. A. Pilyugina (developer of the control system) Efim Mezhirich and the head of the Corporation "VNIIEM" (the manufacturer of the satellite "meteor"), Leonid Makridenko..........

    List of names at last.  thumbsup

    I would want a list of people who are directly responsible for this fuckup as well. These fatass chair-moisturizers are good humble start but needs much more. Who handled the equipment? Who was involved with planning, assembly and QC?




    Angosat seems to be officially working. Thank you solar panels:

    Satellite "Angosat-1" will soon provide a television signal in the territory of Angola

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4852588




    In spite of idiotic incompetence:

    The net profit of the Russian space Agency for the year increased four times

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4852176




    And yet still no shortage of sheep out there:

    Roskosmos subsidiary signed a contract to launch OneWeb satellites

    http://www.interfax.ru/russia/593990

    I wish they would just put engines on local market, drop this commercial launch bullshit altogether and focus on doing job they were created to do in the first place.  Mad




    Next launch from Vostochny is scheduled for February 1, 2018

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4852246

    Anyone care to wager what preset they will use this time: one for Plasetsk or one for Kourou? Rolling Eyes





    Lunar outpost potential components (so far):
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:27 am



    Holy crap, entire internet is flooded with articles tearing Russia a new one over that Vostochniy fuckup and it's glorious!!! lol1

    To say nothing of how well deserved it is. Play stupid games-win stupid prizes and boy did Russia win this one. Thank​ you Roskosmos, you guys are grade-A entertainment providers. Smile



    Speaking of entertainment, this article is not from news or tech website, it's from ENTERTAINMENT website.
    That's right folks, Hollywood fluff news sites are having a blast with Russia all thanks to "experts" of one and only Roskosmos, the beacon of space exploration. Laughing


    YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHY RUSSIA LOST AN INSANELY EXPENSIVE SATELLITE

    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/you-won%E2%80%99t-believe-why-russia-lost-an-insanely-expensive-satellite

    ....Russian space agency Roscosmos was baffled as to why they lost contact with the satellite after it was launched from the agency’s new Vostochny cosmodrome. Gizmodo reports that the answer ended up being the ultimate embarrassment when it was finally broadcast by Russian deputy prime minister Dimitry Rogozin from the Rossiya 24 state TV channel: Someone screwed up the coordinates.

    What this means is that even though the rocket was ready to blast into space from its shiny new launchpad in the Far East, it was actually programmed with the coordinates to take off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, where Russia’s rockets had previously been launching from. When you plug in coordinates for a hulking piece of metal loaded with explosive fuel to launch from a different location than the one it’s actually in, you’re going to have issues. You’re also going to have heavy financial casualties.....


    Hopefully this colossal flood of well deserved ridicule will be translated and circulated far and wide back in glorious motherland. Nothing like looking like total and absolute moron to motivate you to stop being a moron. Razz

    Or they will just keep doing their thing same as always... lol1
    avatar
    KomissarBojanchev

    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1492
    Join date : 2012-08-05
    Age : 20
    Location : Varna, Bulgaria

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  KomissarBojanchev on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:25 am

    There's a chance that the positions in roscosmos are given through connections, not through competence. How can the chance that the new personell will also be placed due to connections be reduced?
    avatar
    ZoA

    Posts : 58
    Points : 66
    Join date : 2017-08-20

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  ZoA on Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:08 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Nah, just general feeling. Is ST:Discovery really that bad? Didn't watch it yet.

    Yes Star Trek: Discovery. Watched first 3 episodes of 1st season and did not like it at all, so i did not bather watching the rest of it. On another had I quite enjoined The Orville.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:40 am

    In spite of idiotic incompetence:

    The net profit of the Russian space Agency for the year increased four times

    http://tass.ru/kosmos/4852176

    1 failure out of 21 (due to human error by manufacturers) isn't exactly "idiotic incompetence", and a 13B ruble profit ain't nothing to sneeze at.... its not huge by any means, but at least its in the black.

    And yet still no shortage of sheep out there:

    Roskosmos subsidiary signed a contract to launch OneWeb satellites

    http://www.interfax.ru/russia/593990

    I wish they would just put engines on local market, drop this commercial launch bullshit altogether and focus on doing job they were created to do in the first place.  Mad

    Commercial makes money and increases the launch cadence which is good for the industry. Making money isn't why Russia maintains an independent manned/satellite and launch capability, but commercial launches are still worth pursuing, and providing a non-Western launch provider to nations that have long suffered the antagonism of the collective West (eg Angola, Venezuela, Iran) is valuable for making friends and influencing people.

    Every commercial launch that Roskosmos can land is one less contract for the likes of Musk, ULA and Arianespace, and from that point of view every goal is to be celebrated.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:47 am

    PapaDragon wrote:

    Holy crap, entire internet is flooded with articles tearing Russia a new one over that Vostochniy fuckup and it's glorious!!! lol1

    To say nothing of how well deserved it is. Play stupid games-win stupid prizes and boy did Russia win this one. Thank​ you Roskosmos, you guys are grade-A entertainment providers. Smile



    Speaking of entertainment, this article is not from news or tech website, it's from ENTERTAINMENT website.
    That's right folks, Hollywood fluff news sites are having a blast with Russia all thanks to "experts" of one and only Roskosmos, the beacon of space exploration. Laughing


    YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHY RUSSIA LOST AN INSANELY EXPENSIVE SATELLITE

    http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/you-won%E2%80%99t-believe-why-russia-lost-an-insanely-expensive-satellite

    ....Russian space agency Roscosmos was baffled as to why they lost contact with the satellite after it was launched from the agency’s new Vostochny cosmodrome. Gizmodo reports that the answer ended up being the ultimate embarrassment when it was finally broadcast by Russian deputy prime minister Dimitry Rogozin from the Rossiya 24 state TV channel: Someone screwed up the coordinates.

    What this means is that even though the rocket was ready to blast into space from its shiny new launchpad in the Far East, it was actually programmed with the coordinates to take off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, where Russia’s rockets had previously been launching from. When you plug in coordinates for a hulking piece of metal loaded with explosive fuel to launch from a different location than the one it’s actually in, you’re going to have issues. You’re also going to have heavy financial casualties.....


    Hopefully this colossal flood of well deserved ridicule will be translated and circulated far and wide back in glorious motherland. Nothing like looking like total and absolute moron to motivate you to stop being a moron. Razz

    Or they will just keep doing their thing same as always... lol1

    Are you bipolar?.... I mean WTF gives? You write sensible posts then puke out this schadenfreude on steroids?....
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 am



    Big_Gazza wrote:communications could had initially been disrupted due to draining of the spacecraft's batteries, but, fortunately, Angosat-1 had already deployed its solar panels, which allowed to restore the power supply. Obviously, such a scenario provides no explanation how the spacecraft ended up with drained batteries and why such an obvious problem could not be avoided.

    Seems simple enough, find out who handled those batteries and ascertain whether it was incompetence or malice.


    This near-miss is troubling and I can't get my head around it.  How does this happen?  A newly tested spacecraft which passes electrical test (including I would expect a deep-discharge test of the batteries) has inadequate battery power available to keep the comms system running immediately after separation from U/S and deployment of solar panels????

    To lose communications due to low battery you would need the batteries to be critically depleted.  A satellite power management system will implement an automatic load shed in the event of low battery volts.  Non-essential systems such as science instruments (or TV/telephony transceivers) would be shutdown and isolated so that critical systems such as flight/attitude control computer and mission control comms would remain available.  Battery capacity would be specified with adequate safety factors to ensure operation until solar panel deployment.   So what went wrong?????

    One scenario is that the batteries were in a partially discharged state at the time of launch.  Payload is energised on the pad via a power umbilical, so maybe there was an interruption or tripped circuit breaker? However, I'd expect the breaker status to be monitored, as well as an under-voltage alarm on the spacecraft telemetry feed, so I can't see how this could happen without launch control being aware.

    Another scenario is that there was a power surge on deployment of the solar panels due to battery recharge current inrush, with the peak current being sufficient to trip a circuit breaker.    The power management system may have gone into a safe mode by shutting down all non-essential sub-systems (including comms) and only re-powering these sub-systems once battery was sufficiently recharged.  I would have expected however testing would have checked the ability of the solar panel DC converters and associated power distribution switching to handle the battery inrush under all conditions...  but maybe not.

    Thats enough crystal-ball gazing...  lets wait to see what the boffins come up with....
    avatar
    Cyberspec

    Posts : 2265
    Points : 2432
    Join date : 2011-08-08
    Location : Terra Australis

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Cyberspec on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:26 am

    Are you bipolar?.... I mean WTF gives? You write sensible posts then puke out this schadenfreude on steroids?...

    I think he means well just gets a bit excited...

    Well at risk of upsetting Papa again.... they're aimimg for 99% efficiency rate by 2025...

    Back in April, the supervisory board of state corporation adopted a comprehensive program to improve the quality of the company as a whole. The main goal of the program is to bring the share of trouble-free launch vehicles in 2025 to 99%, the extension of working spacecraft and increase their warranty terms by 25-30%.

    https://finobzor.ru/53222-roskosmos-opravdanno-dorogaya-neobhodimost.html?utm_source=topwar.ru&utm_campaign=auction&utm_medium=main_page
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 pm

    Big_Gazza wrote:Are you bipolar?.... I mean WTF gives? You write sensible posts then puke out this schadenfreude on steroids?...

    Not bipolar, just exceptionally pissed off at stupidity of it all. Mad

    Imagine having a team of doctors doing brain surgery and one of them turns out be a janitor in surgeon uniform? This feels like that same scenario.

    Where is responsibility?


    Big_Gazza wrote:....commercial launches are still worth pursuing, and providing a non-Western launch provider to nations that have long suffered the antagonism of the collective West (eg Angola, Venezuela, Iran) is valuable for making friends and influencing people.

    Every commercial launch that Roskosmos can land is one less contract for the likes of Musk, ULA and Arianespace, and from that point of view every goal is to be celebrated.

    Private Russian launch companies with access to Roskosmos equipment could provide all those countries with much better service, generate more profits and tech development and would free up Roskosmos to pursue scientific and manned projects.

    They would also trim away even more contracts from Musk & Co if that turns out to be one of the goals.


    Cyberspec wrote:
    I think he means well just gets a bit excited...

    Well at risk of upsetting Papa again.... they're aimimg for 99% efficiency rate by 2025...

    Back in April, the supervisory board of state corporation adopted a comprehensive program to improve the quality of the company as a whole. The main goal of the program is to bring the share of trouble-free launch vehicles in 2025 to 99%, the extension of working spacecraft and increase their warranty terms by 25-30%.

    https://finobzor.ru/53222-roskosmos-opravdanno-dorogaya-neobhodimost.html?utm_source=topwar.ru&utm_campaign=auction&utm_medium=main_page

    Yes I get excited, pissed off as well. It's no secret.

    As for news, this definitely doesn't upset me, it's good to see that they are finally doing something about this mess.

    Empty batteries and wrong launch presets, are they kidding me? Sounds like something out of Kerbal Space Program...

    Those numbskulls need to finally get their heads out of their asses, they work in space industry not Burger King...

    Again remember: none of this is happening at Plasetsk even though they use identical equipment.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:42 am

    Angosat-1 latest, it just gets wierder...

    From Zak the Atlantacist twerp... http://www.russianspaceweb.com/zenit-angosat-launch.html

    On December 30, Interfax reported that the problems with Angosat-1 had stemmed from incompatibility between standards used by Russian and French-built hardware aboard the satellite. The issue was resolved remotely by specialists at RKK Energia, Interfax said, quoting industry sources.

    I knew the French MUST have been responsible somehow... bloody cheese-eating surrender monkey fops with their absurd accent, silly hats and striped shirts, and tendency to tie onions to their handle bars... what was Energia thinking? Very Happy
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:14 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Again remember: none of this is happening at Plasetsk even though they use identical equipment.

    Russian military has had a few embarrassing failures, eg the Persona recon satellites where #1 failed after a few months and #2 suffered technical problems for the first year. More recently Kanopus-ST was lost after it failed to separate from the carrier... (dafuq? how hard is it to trigger a solenoid-activated spring-operated release latch or a pyro-bolt? angry ) and a Strela-3M store/dump comsat pair was placed in wrong (but still functional) orbit after the Briz-KM failed its final firing.

    Space is hard, and unforgiving. Having said that, others seem to have less problems.... so work is needed to improve.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:18 am

    PapaDragon wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:....commercial launches are still worth pursuing, and providing a non-Western launch provider to nations that have long suffered the antagonism of the collective West (eg Angola, Venezuela, Iran) is valuable for making friends and influencing people.

    Every commercial launch that Roskosmos can land is one less contract for the likes of Musk, ULA and Arianespace, and from that point of view every goal is to be celebrated.

    Private Russian launch companies with access to Roskosmos equipment could provide all those countries with much better service, generate more profits and tech development and would free up Roskosmos to pursue scientific and manned projects.

    They would also trim away even more contracts from Musk & Co if that turns out to be one of the goals.

    My preference would be to split away those personnel in Roskosmos responsible for commercial launches into a public business unit.  Run them as an independent business with a genuine operating culture, and use the profit they generate to subsidize government/public space operations.  Allowing private operators to fill the role will simply result in earnings being lost to private pockets and produce little to no benefit for the Russian space program.

    In the West our standard answer for everything is to privatize & deregulate...  but all this does is allow the wealthy private owners of capital to further enrich themselves.  They keep the gains for themselves and pay back as little to society as possible (minimising their taxation on profits by way of loopholes and tax concessions, gained via contributions to corrupt and compromised politicians, and rewarding compliant politicians with lucrative job offers when they finally leave office).  Russia has had a gutful of seeing the uber-wealthy profit heartily from taking control of public assets.  Its time to look after the public interest.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:13 am

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    Big_Gazza wrote:....commercial launches are still worth pursuing, and providing a non-Western launch provider to nations that have long suffered the antagonism of the collective West (eg Angola, Venezuela, Iran) is valuable for making friends and influencing people.

    Every commercial launch that Roskosmos can land is one less contract for the likes of Musk, ULA and Arianespace, and from that point of view every goal is to be celebrated.

    Private Russian launch companies with access to Roskosmos equipment could provide all those countries with much better service, generate more profits and tech development and would free up Roskosmos to pursue scientific and manned projects.

    They would also trim away even more contracts from Musk & Co if that turns out to be one of the goals.

    My preference would be to split away those personnel in Roskosmos responsible for commercial launches into a public business unit.  Run them as an independent business with a genuine operating culture, and use the profit they generate to subsidize government/public space operations.  Allowing private operators to fill the role will simply result in earnings being lost to private pockets and produce little to no benefit for the Russian space program.
    ..........................

    You would end up with same problem that Roskosmos has now only in two parts.

    There are already several space launch companies in Russia trying to get into the market. State should give them a leg up by providing them access to RD-180 engine (for example) at lower or even factory prices in exchange for cut of the profits. And they should pay taxes of course.  

    It would create both competition and redundancy.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:28 am


    And Roskosmos is officially forced to swallow it's own shit, part in brackets is by me:

    $45M Russian Satellite Lost After Scientists Admit They Gave It The Wrong Coordinates

    http://www.sciencealert.com/45m-russian-satellite-lost-after-scientists-admit-they-gave-it-the-wrong-coordinates-roscosmos-meteor

    Russia has conceded that a high-profile space failure in November last year occurred because scientists programmed a rocket carrying a US$45 million weather satellite with the wrong coordinates.

    In comments to Russian state TV last week, deputy prime minister Dmitry Rogozin admitted the Meteor-M weather satellite was effectively under the impression it had launched from a site in Kazakhstan, when it had in fact taken off from Russia's far east.

    "The rocket was really programmed as if it was taking off from Baikonur," Rogozin said. "They didn't get the coordinates right."


    The Baikonur Cosmodrome – located in southern Kazakhstan – is a colossal spaceport that figures heavily in the history of Soviet space exploration, going back to its founding in the 1950s.

    Since the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia has leased the facility from Kazakhstan for rocket launches – but Baikonur isn't the only cosmodrome in town.

    A much newer US$7.5 billion spaceport called the Vostochny Cosmodrome in Amur Oblast in south-east Russia has been under construction since 2011 – and was the actual location of the Meteor-M 2–1's launch atop a Soyuz–2 booster rocket on November 28 (being only the second launch for the Vostochny site).

    The launch initially proceeded without a hitch – also carrying 18 smaller research and commercial satellites into orbit for the US, Japan, Canada, and Germany, among others – but when the Meteor-M weather satellite was deployed from the rocket, scientists became aware something was terribly wrong.

    "The first scheduled communication session has failed to establish contact with the satellite due to its absence from the designated orbit," a spokesman for Russian space agency Roscosmos said at the time.

    "Analysis of the current situation is underway."

    While Russian media initially suspected the problem was somehow due to a failure of the booster's final stage – the Fregat – Roscosmos launched its own investigation.

    What they found was something altogether more glaring and avoidable: human error.

    In somewhat different language to how Rogozin explains the failure, an official Roscosmos statement on the catastrophe attributes the satellite loss to the "imperfection of the software algorithms of the control system" on the Fregat. [HORSESHIT EXCUSE BY ROSKOSMOS!!! ]

    In other words, the scientists who were meant to oversee the rocket's launch instructions weren't thorough enough, Roscosmos says.

    "All this in aggregate contributed to the fact that the factors, the combination of which led to an abnormal completion of the mission, remained undetected in preparation for launch," the emergency commission concludes.

    "For improper performance by the leaders of the duties assigned to them, the commission recommended that disciplinary sanctions be imposed on them in the form of reprimands."

    It's not a very promising start to Russia's pricey, new Vostochny spaceport, and comes after Roscosmos had its budget slashed by more than a third following an internal audit that condemned the space agency for wasting nearly US$2 billion, "with such a level of moral decay, one should not be surprised at the high accident rate".

    It also means scientists are going to miss out on what the Meteor-M 1–2 was intended to deliver: a five-year mission gathering satellite imagery and environmental data for the Russian weather agency, Roshydromet.

    Hopefully Russia's space program can bounce back from this embarrassing calamity, and quickly – after all, we have some pretty high expectations for what they're going to achieve.
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 am

    Sea Launch promises return to flight in two years

    The S7 Group, which owns the Sea Launch venture, has published a launch schedule for the Ukrainian-built Zenit rocket from the ocean-based platform. The missions were not expected to resume until the end of 2019, but once the did, S7 planned to fly the Zenit roughly every three months. A total of 12 launches were planned before the end of 2022.

    The Sea Launch flight manifest was posted without much fanfare on the Russian-language version of the corporate web site for the Sea Launch venture, apparently, shortly after the successful campaign to launch the Zenit rocket with the Angosat-1 satellite on Dec. 26, 2017.

    Although the schedule detailed all the launch dates with accuracy to a month, it listed no customers or their payloads to be carried during any of these missions. It was unclear, whether Sea Launch was in negotiations with any potential riders at the time.

    The description accompanying the schedule also said that the permanent office of the S7 company had been established at the home port of the Sea Launch vessels in Long Beach, California, to handle the tasks of re-activating the facility and resuming launch operations. Based on estimates from a monitoring group, the complex would be ready for operations in 2018, the S7 Group said.

    The company also announced that the Russian firms RKK Energia, Roskosmos State Corporation and the Ukraine-based Zenit manufacturer Yuzhmash would be partners in Sea Launch, which would be managed from Moscow by the S7 KTS company, also known as S7 Space.


    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/sea-launch-2018.html

    I always liked Sea Launch as an enterprise and felt it had a lot of promise, but not if it means supporting the Banderite cunts with 12x orders for Zenit-3. I'd prefer to see S7 defer their plans for 2 years and wait for Soyuz-5. Whatever it takes, as long as they don't feed Ukropistani-controlled Yuzmash/Yuzhnoye. russia
    avatar
    Big_Gazza

    Posts : 1001
    Points : 1017
    Join date : 2014-08-25
    Location : Melbourne, Australia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Big_Gazza on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 am

    PapaDragon wrote:And Roskosmos is officially forced to swallow it's own shit, part in brackets is by me:

    $45M Russian Satellite Lost After Scientists Admit They Gave It The Wrong Coordinates

    http://www.sciencealert.com/45m-russian-satellite-lost-after-scientists-admit-they-gave-it-the-wrong-coordinates-roscosmos-meteor

    OOI, whose responsibility was it to ensure the Fregat U/S was properly configured? Lavochkin as manufacturer, or Roskosmos? My understanding is that Roskosmos acts as the contracting authority and doesn't perform the technical verification function. That suggests it is the responsibility of manufacturers to ensure that their equipment operates correctly?

    I'm really getting sick of human error fucking up Russian space missions. I'm generally not in favour of Stalin-style management techniques, but its times like this when I like to entertain myself with ideas of Gulag version 2.0. maybe a year of breaking rocks in -20C will help to... sharpen... peoples thought processes... Twisted Evil
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:34 am

    Big_Gazza wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:And Roskosmos is officially forced to swallow it's own shit, part in brackets is by me:

    $45M Russian Satellite Lost After Scientists Admit They Gave It The Wrong Coordinates

    http://www.sciencealert.com/45m-russian-satellite-lost-after-scientists-admit-they-gave-it-the-wrong-coordinates-roscosmos-meteor

    OOI, whose responsibility was it to ensure the Fregat U/S was properly configured?  Lavochkin as manufacturer, or Roskosmos?  My understanding is that Roskosmos acts as the contracting authority and doesn't perform the technical verification function.  That suggests it is the responsibility of manufacturers to ensure that their equipment operates correctly?

    I'm really getting sick of human error fucking up Russian space missions. I'm generally not in favour of Stalin-style management techniques, but its times like this when I like to entertain myself with ideas of Gulag version 2.0.  maybe a year of breaking rocks in -20C will help to... sharpen... peoples thought processes...  Twisted Evil


    Lavochkin or Roskosmos, doesn't matter. Someone screwed up and that someone needs to be identified.

    As for Stalin treatment no need for that. Just find out who fucked up, fire his dumb ass and give him a 33 million dollar bill for one trashed weather satellite (Soyuz rocket and secondary payloads are on the house).

    Trust me, next guy will be very diligent and responsible after this.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 6115
    Points : 6219
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  PapaDragon on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:45 am

    Makaev restarted​ work on single stage reusable rocket


    https://lenta.ru/news/2018/01/02/korona/

    More details in link in Russian, someone could elaborate, this could sink or swim, who knows...


    Sponsored content

    Re: Russian Space Program: News & Discussion #2

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 am