Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

[Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

GunshipDemocracy

Location : fishin on Stalin´s Strait between Mexico and Canada

Re: [Official] Armata Discussion thread #4

Post  GunshipDemocracy on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Azi wrote:
    Ok...wait, wait, wait! I Have a great idea! Why not putting a Nudol missile on a Armata??? So you have the best tank in world combined with the ability to intercept ICBM. lol! !

Call of Duty? Red Alert 2018? when the game is released?
    eehnie

Post  eehnie on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Azi wrote:
    eehnie wrote:I expect both the Pantsir and the S-350 to be relevant for this topic, as I expect both to be mounted in the Armata platform.

Others (you concretely GarryB) introduced in the discussion systems defined as long range air defense (like the S-300). Others said that systems defined like long range air defense systems (like the S-300) will be replaced by systems defined as medium range air defense (like the S-350).

About the retirement of the S-300 I only will say that the current fleet of SA-10/12/20/23 in the Russian Armed Forces is a 97.18% of the fleet of the Soviet Union in 1991 (of which some units go to Belarus and Ukraine). It has not been a reduction despite the introduction of the S-400.
    Ok...wait, wait, wait! I Have a great idea! Why not putting a Nudol missile on a Armata??? So you have the best tank in world combined with the ability to intercept ICBM. lol!

Armata is a heavy frontline platform! Armata based AD system would only make sense for a replacement of Tor, Shilka etc. The Buk platform is NOT heavy armoured!!! For a AD system like Buk mobility is more important than armour!

Advanced medium range (in todays range standards) on land platforms. Nothing rare. This is something Russia did before.

Every person with a minimun brain and a positive view of Russia would see this with interest. These words paint so well where you are, and are able to put you in a ridiculous position in the near future.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 am

Armata is a heavy platform designed to operate on the frontline in very dangerous areas like urban combat etc.

Medium to long range SAMs don't operate any where near the front line as even if the crew are protected by heavy armour their large long range missiles wont be and would be vulnerable to shrapnel and small arms fire.

Not to mention their support vehicles with radar and other equipment.

It would be too expensive to put an S-350 battery in Armata based vehicles and of little use because they would operate 50-60km or more behind the front line most of the time. The only threat would be enemy artillery.

BUK would operate closer but would use mobility to protect itself from enemy attack.

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    flamming_python

Post  flamming_python on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:40 am

eehnie wrote:I expect both the Pantsir and the S-350 to be relevant for this topic, as I expect both to be mounted in the Armata platform.

Others (you concretely GarryB) introduced in the discussion systems defined as long range air defense (like the S-300). Others said that systems defined like long range air defense systems (like the S-300) will be replaced by systems defined as medium range air defense (like the S-350).

About the retirement of the S-300 I only will say that the current fleet of SA-10/12/20/23 in the Russian Armed Forces is a 97.18% of the fleet of the Soviet Union in 1991 (of which some units go to Belarus and Ukraine). It has not been a reduction despite the introduction of the S-400.

I suspect neither will be; as both are Aerospace Forces systems; a branch that doesnt use the Armata chassis and doesn't need to as it doesn't operate on the front-line.
    Not to mention that an Armata is too small for use as a S-350 launch/reload/radar vehicle.

What we might well see on Armata sooner or later is a Sosna complex; which is the replacment for the Strela series of short-range missile systems in army service.
    A Tor complex on an Armata is also quite a possibility. We already see Tors on the new Arctic chassis. It looks like they are designed to follow behind the troops pretty closely and keep up with them in all terrain.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:49 am