Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Share
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 am

    BEIRUT, LEBANON (3:20 A.M.) – The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) targeted a Free Syrian Army (FSA) transport, Wednesday, that was carrying the commander of Regiment 107 in the Dara’a Governorate.

    Using a roadside bomb, the Syrian Arab Army perfectly timed the attack that was to take place along the Sariyah Road in the southern outskirts of Inkhel.

    The FSA transport would ultimately get caught by the roadside bombing, killing the commander of Regiment 107, ‘Adnan Al-Wadi, and his driver, Ra’ed Najm Al-Wadi.

    According to a military source in Dara’a, the Syrian Arab Army was able to gather intel regarding Al-Wadi’s whereabouts through their large network of spies in the Dara’a Governorate.




    https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/syrian-army-kills-high-ranking-fsa-commander-daraa/
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5576
    Points : 5680
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

    JohninMK wrote:No mercy then


    Damn, that's some Warhammer 40k level stuff, only thing that's missing is "For the Emperor!!!" thumbsup
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5576
    Points : 5680
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:43 pm

    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 pm

    Mixed feelings

    The'Nimr'Tiger @Souria4Syrians 3h3 hours ago

    The'Nimr'Tiger
    Retweeted Yusha Yuseef

    Notice that Suqour Al Sahraa were only deployed in Hama while the Tiger forces were taking a break. Tigers resumed offensive just days ago. Desert Hawks " back to its sites in Latakia cs


    Rojava Revolution‏ @rojava_revolt 2h2 hours ago

    Desert Hawks have a shity record lately. Fucked up in Tabqa big time, strugld in Latakia and faild in a dsrt despit being caled DESERT Hawks
    1 reply 0 retweets 3 likes
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:44 pm

    Islamic World News‏ @A7_Mirza 3h3 hours ago

    #SAA Tiger forces liberated Ber Hawran, Ber Halul, Ber Zanati in #Raqqah province



    avatar
    KiloGolf

    Posts : 2118
    Points : 2134
    Join date : 2015-09-01
    Location : Macedonia, Hellas

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  KiloGolf on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:10 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:

    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5576
    Points : 5680
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:16 pm

    KiloGolf wrote:....................
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Looks like it's just mountains and no roads or settlements.

    Easy to hold and not worth the hassle unless you need to secure the flank which they now do.
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 657
    Points : 661
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:23 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:....................
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Looks like it's just mountains and no roads or settlements.

    Easy to hold and not worth the hassle unless you need to secure the flank which they now do.

    Manpower, SAA doesn't have enough guys to storm it without taking men away from current fronts. All those pockets and long lines are killing them in this manner. This is why that entire section needs to be captured before they push towards deir.

    Currently, the Tiger Forces and other units are trying to seize Rafeshya road. This would allow them to cut off the supply lines to that large black area on the map that is sandwiched between their lines, this is the most sound tactical choice but it's also the hardest one because Sukan needs to fall to fully seize that road and that will make them quite vulnerable to attack so it's also the most difficult one.

    If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    This is how the SAA likes to fight "Encircle and kill" They don't like to have to deal with the same guys later

    The SAA has around a month before Raqqa falls two at most and that's high balling it, so they have to make magic happen, They will need to take risks. They cannot play it slow right now.

    So we will see, currently, I think I'll reach Deir before they will. Still who knows Tiger forces can do work but they are only around 1200 men.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2655
    Points : 2693
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  franco on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 pm

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:....................
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Looks like it's just mountains and no roads or settlements.

    Easy to hold and not worth the hassle unless you need to secure the flank which they now do.

    Manpower, SAA doesn't have enough guys to storm it without taking men away from current fronts. All those pockets and long lines are killing them in this manner. This is why that entire section needs to be captured before they push towards deir.

    Currently, the Tiger Forces and other units are trying to seize Rafeshya road. This would allow them to cut off the supply lines to that large black area on the map that is sandwiched between their lines, this is the most sound tactical choice but it's also the hardest one because Sukan needs to fall to fully seize that road and that will make them quite vulnerable to attack so it's also the most difficult one.

    If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    This is how the SAA likes to fight "Encircle and kill" They don't like to have to deal with the same guys later

    The SAA has around a month before Raqqa falls two at most and that's high balling it, so they have to make magic happen, They will need to take risks. They cannot play it slow right now.

    So we will see, currently, I think I'll reach Deir before they will. Still who knows Tiger forces can do work but they are only around 1200 men.

    If you get there first expect to have to fight more then ISIS.
    avatar
    PapaDragon

    Posts : 5576
    Points : 5680
    Join date : 2015-04-26
    Location : Fort Evil, Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  PapaDragon on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

    franco wrote:..............
    If you get there first expect to have to fight more then ISIS.

    If he gets there first expect Afrin to be renamed to Afrinistan and be placed under protection of glorious Ottoman Empire...maybe even sooner...

    Kurds will have to make a choice between two halfs of their ''identity''. Cool
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    franco wrote:..............
    If you get there first expect to have to fight more then ISIS.

    If he gets there first expect Afrin to be renamed to Afrinistan and be placed under protection of glorious Ottoman Empire...maybe even sooner...

    Kurds will have to make a choice between two halfs of their ''identity''. Cool
    The problem that I see the US has is what force will they have capable and willing to attack ISIS in Deir. After the battering they are taking in Raqqa and the noises Turkey is making re the north of Syria, will the SDF want to move further away, fighting their way south and then do it all again in Deir?

    OK some of them should be able to get there quickly down the road from the north, but just as they move south so ISIS will move SE along the river.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:30 pm

    Another map showing the latest advance. I wonder how much ISIS west of that north/south road is currently moving east as quickly as they can?

    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:42 pm

    Claim from yesterday.

    MOHAMMED HASSAN‏ @MHJournalist

    More than two hundred trucks loaded with various armored vehicles and US weapons arrived to Qamishli city for use in the war against ISIS

    avatar
    eehnie

    Posts : 1527
    Points : 1552
    Join date : 2015-05-13

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  eehnie on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:45 pm

    franco wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:....................
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Looks like it's just mountains and no roads or settlements.

    Easy to hold and not worth the hassle unless you need to secure the flank which they now do.

    Manpower, SAA doesn't have enough guys to storm it without taking men away from current fronts. All those pockets and long lines are killing them in this manner. This is why that entire section needs to be captured before they push towards deir.

    Currently, the Tiger Forces and other units are trying to seize Rafeshya road. This would allow them to cut off the supply lines to that large black area on the map that is sandwiched between their lines, this is the most sound tactical choice but it's also the hardest one because Sukan needs to fall to fully seize that road and that will make them quite vulnerable to attack so it's also the most difficult one.

    If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    This is how the SAA likes to fight "Encircle and kill" They don't like to have to deal with the same guys later

    The SAA has around a month before Raqqa falls two at most and that's high balling it, so they have to make magic happen, They will need to take risks. They cannot play it slow right now.

    So we will see, currently, I think I'll reach Deir before they will. Still who knows Tiger forces can do work but they are only around 1200 men.

    If you get there first expect to have to fight more then ISIS.

    I'm sure he does. They are obviously planning it.

    But other thing is they can without a deployment of many thousands of his friends. Raqqa was supposed to be a walk, but no.
    avatar
    calm

    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1329
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  calm on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:46 pm

    PapaDragon wrote:
    KiloGolf wrote:....................
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Looks like it's just mountains and no roads or settlements.

    Over 200 small villages right there.
    avatar
    calm

    Posts : 1327
    Points : 1329
    Join date : 2015-12-19
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  calm on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 am

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    They can not run out of ammo, they have enough of it, and if got surrounded, they will be supplied by SAA traitors, like all those pocket around Syria. Whole IS territory is one big pocket, but they are not running out of ammo.

    The question is will they stay there, like in those 2 huge pockets in Iraq, or will they fall back.
    ts in Iraq, or will they fall back.
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 657
    Points : 661
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 am

    calm wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    They can not run out of ammo, they have enough of it, and if got surrounded, they will be supplied by SAA traitors, like all those pocket around Syria. Whole IS territory is one big pocket, but they are not running out of ammo.

    The question is will they stay there, like in those 2 huge pockets in Iraq, or will they fall back.
    ts in Iraq, or will they fall back.

    ISIS can and has run of ammunition in the past once their supply lines have been cut.

    In this case they would stay, I don't see ISIs handing over that land easy.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:36 am

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    calm wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    They can not run out of ammo, they have enough of it, and if got surrounded, they will be supplied by SAA traitors, like all those pocket around Syria. Whole IS territory is one big pocket, but they are not running out of ammo.

    The question is will they stay there, like in those 2 huge pockets in Iraq, or will they fall back.
    ts in Iraq, or will they fall back.

    ISIS can and has run of ammunition in the past once their supply lines have been cut.

    In this case they would stay, I don't see ISIs handing over that land easy.

    Not sure why you think progress will be relatively quick enough in Raqqa for the SDF to beat the SAA to Deir. The view today from your leader is that ISIS won't hand over Raqqa easy either. The SAA could have enough time to get there.

    None of us know what the SyAF/RuAF would do if the SDF struck towards Deir on the south bank, for speed bypassing the towns on the river, in an obvious attempt to cut the path of the SAA.

    The operation by the US-led coalition to liberate the Syrian city of Raqqa from Daesh terror group (banned in Russia) could still take months to complete, US Central Command (CENTCOM) head Gen. Joseph Votel said in an interview published on Friday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — "We would expect they are going to fight harder and more aggressively than they are, and a large part of that is going to be exploited again," Votel said in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times. "So, I think it is going to be a challenging fight and it will take months."

    Votel noted that the operation to retake the city of Mosul in Iraq from the Islamic State took nine months. By comparison, the terror group has had years to prepare for the Raqqa offensive, Votel said.

    The CENTCOM commander also noted that the US-backed forces fighting in Syria are not supported by the government there, while the US partners in Iraq are. "They don’t have all the trapping of a big army," he added.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 am

    A positive move

    The head of the US ground operation against Daesh terror group is now able to speak with his Russian counterpart through the two nations’ deconfliction line established for Syria, according to US Central Command commander Gen. Joseph Votel.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The head of the US ground operation against Daesh terror group (outlawed in Russia) is now able to speak with his Russian counterpart through the two nations’ deconfliction line established for Syria, US Central Command commander Gen. Joseph Votel said in an interview published on Friday. "The deconfliction line that we have had in place and has become more robust over time, meaning that not only do our air components talk to each other but (Army Lt. Gen. Stephen) Townsend (in charge of the ground war against Daesh) now has the ability to talk to his counterpart," Votel told the Tampa Bay Times.

    The US Department of Defense has previously said that the United States and Russia use the memorandum of understanding for Syria to deconflict ground operations, but not that an officer of Townsend’s level was using the line.

    Votel stressed that the channel was a "very professional military to military interchange," and added that deconfliction itself was important in preventing escalation on the ground due to the number of players in the Syrian conflict, including Iran, Israel and Turkey.

    Townsend for his part said in March that the deconfliction line was important in quickly stopping an accidental Russian and Syrian government bombing of US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces near Al Bab.
    avatar
    franco

    Posts : 2655
    Points : 2693
    Join date : 2010-08-18

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  franco on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:03 am

    JohninMK wrote:Another map showing the latest advance. I wonder how much ISIS west of that north/south road is currently moving east as quickly as they can?


    Not sure why but I cannot see your links... ever. dunno
    When I quote you as in right now, can see the address for your link but on the page...nothing. No
    Strange but my theory is that computers are like women and automobiles... temperamental and often beyond my comprehension. Smile
    avatar
    SeigSoloyvov

    Posts : 657
    Points : 661
    Join date : 2016-04-08

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  SeigSoloyvov on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am

    JohninMK wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:
    calm wrote:
    SeigSoloyvov wrote:If they can capture the road that entire section will not get Supplies anymore at that point ISIS would be finished they would put up a fight for a little bit until they ran out of ammo. This would also allow the SAA to kill them so they cannot be used to reinforce other areas.

    They can not run out of ammo, they have enough of it, and if got surrounded, they will be supplied by SAA traitors, like all those pocket around Syria. Whole IS territory is one big pocket, but they are not running out of ammo.

    The question is will they stay there, like in those 2 huge pockets in Iraq, or will they fall back.
    ts in Iraq, or will they fall back.

    ISIS can and has run of ammunition in the past once their supply lines have been cut.

    In this case they would stay, I don't see ISIs handing over that land easy.

    Not sure why you think progress will be relatively quick enough in Raqqa for the SDF to beat the SAA to Deir. The view today from your leader is that ISIS won't hand over Raqqa easy either. The SAA could have enough time to get there.

    None of us know what the SyAF/RuAF would do if the SDF struck towards Deir on the south bank, for speed bypassing the towns on the river, in an obvious attempt to cut the path of the SAA.

    The operation by the US-led coalition to liberate the Syrian city of Raqqa from Daesh terror group (banned in Russia) could still take months to complete, US Central Command (CENTCOM) head Gen. Joseph Votel said in an interview published on Friday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — "We would expect they are going to fight harder and more aggressively than they are, and a large part of that is going to be exploited again," Votel said in an interview with the Tampa Bay Times. "So, I think it is going to be a challenging fight and it will take months."

    Votel noted that the operation to retake the city of Mosul in Iraq from the Islamic State took nine months. By comparison, the terror group has had years to prepare for the Raqqa offensive, Votel said.

    The CENTCOM commander also noted that the US-backed forces fighting in Syria are not supported by the government there, while the US partners in Iraq are. "They don’t have all the trapping of a big army," he added.


    Votel has a history of saying one thing in public and another in private granted it could take longer this is just an estimate we have right now.

    Months would in this case 2-3 if I am to believe what he says an in an interview, to which I know what he says when not in one.

    Sure the kurds could fuck up tons along the way about the only dam thing they are good at.

    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 am

    franco wrote:

    Not sure why but I cannot see your links... ever. dunno
    When I quote you as in right now, can see the address for your link but on the page...nothing. No
    Strange but my theory is that computers are like women and automobiles... temperamental and often beyond my comprehension.  Smile  
    OK, I'll post the link as well as using the auto link feature.

    My latest is

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEt91MRXgAUM6iu.jpg
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:10 am

    SeigSoloyvov wrote:

    Votel has a history of saying one thing in public and another in private granted it could take longer this is just an estimate we have right now.

    Months would in this case 2-3 if I am to believe what he says an in an interview, to which I know what he says when not in one.

    Sure the kurds could fuck up tons along the way about the only dam thing they are good at.

    Two different views at his level to different audiences is clearly to be expected, one needs to be managed the other knows too much!

    Vann7

    Posts : 3471
    Points : 3583
    Join date : 2012-05-16

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  Vann7 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:17 am

    [quote="KiloGolf"]
    PapaDragon wrote:
    I've always wondered (well since last year) how that IS pocket/front seems to keep such strength, that far from Raqqa and IS heartland.
    Did these people plan their stay during the war for very long? Are these switched FSA using stocked ammo and supplies since before 2011?

    Mountains are difficult terrain , tanks cannot be used ,and people need to climb on foot .
    and elevated positions have a better view /angle of attack. is even difficult for helicopters
    to fight in mountains and for being higher terrain , manpads can reach even higher altitudes.
    To fight in mountains is very slow. Combined with the lack of Syria army of man power after losing more than 100k soldiers in 6 years of war with many of their veterans ,killed. And combined with US coalition ,TUrkey and Israel pressure with their military invasion in Syria and their bombings of their airforce on Syrian army positions.

    Erdogan by having its own Army and its backed terrorist in Idlib and latakia, and supporting for years terrorist to fight Assad ,represent the biggest security threat to Syria ,even more than ISIS.  Because their positions in northern Syria Force the Syrian government to waste
    a lot of man power adjacent to their positions to stop any attempt to continue advancing.
    If Turkey military abandoned Syria ,and ceased to support their terrorist in IDLIB ,it will allow
    Syria military to free its largest concentration of soldiers in Syria and put them to work to fight ISIS and other terrorist instead of being forced to hold positions. On the southern Front is the same. US-Jordan and Israel positions there force Syrian army to deploy a large number of military in defensive positions. soldiers they could use elsewhere to fight ISIS and other terrorist. this is actually the real aim of Turkey and NATO forces in Syria , to make it more difficult to fight ISIS ,and in the case of Turkey they also wants to push back kurds.
    avatar
    JohninMK

    Posts : 5141
    Points : 5204
    Join date : 2015-06-16
    Location : England

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  JohninMK on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 pm

    Peto Lucem‏ @PetoLucem 22m22 minutes ago

    NEW MAP update: #SAA captured more areas in their ongoing offensive Objective: Isolate #ISIS in E-#Hama. #Syria HD: mediafire.com view/equaferj15ixlxw/SE%20SYRIA_15.7.%20II.jpg#


    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DExGKyqXcAAzFcj.jpg


    Sponsored content

    Re: Syrian Civil War: News #14

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:05 am