Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

India Foreign policy

Sujoy

India Foreign policy

Post  Sujoy on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:56 am

Off Topic
    America needs India in Asia and it's not the other way round . And India has refused to sign up to America's China containment policy in a way Australia has . India's relation with Russia are strategic in nature while that with the US it's clearly an economic relation .

India intends to develop a coalition to "contain" China's military rise . But that coalition will ONLY contain Asian countries like South Korea , Japan , Philippines , Vietnam and Indonesia .
    Cyberspec

Re: India Foreign policy

Post  Cyberspec on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:45 am

Sujoy wrote: Off Topic
    America needs India in Asia and it's not the other way round . And India has refused to sign up to America's China containment policy in a way Australia has . India's relation with Russia are strategic in nature while that with the US it's clearly an economic relation .

Australia is an Anglo country which naturally supports America for cultural reasons primarily. The politicians here still have no real policy to deal with the rise of China. They stick to the status quo position because they don't really have any answers and are sticking their heads in the sand (I think they're terrified of the coming change). The BIG contradiction is that politically and militarily they're tied to the US but economically speaking Australia already is more or less tied to the fortunes of the China's economy. Even a minor slow down in China has an immediate effect on the Aussie economy and finances. That's a fact that cannot be ignored no matter the rhetoric on great Aussie-US alliances and so on. Eventually (I think sooner rather than later) this contradiction will force itself in the open.

India intends to develop a coalition to "contain" China's military rise . But that coalition will ONLY contain Asian countries like South Korea , Japan , Philippines , Vietnam and Indonesia

That basically sounds like the US policy to me. The "Äsian only" is probably for domestic consumption. For example, S. Korea and Japan cannot make any significant foreign policy and military moves on their own without US approval.
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Off Topic

Cyberspec wrote:
    Australia is an Anglo country which naturally supports America for cultural reasons primarily. The politicians here still have no real policy to deal with the rise of China. They stick to the status quo position because they don't really have any answers and are sticking their heads in the sand (I think they're terrified of the coming change). The BIG contradiction is that politically and militarily they're tied to the US but economically speaking Australia already is more or less tied to the fortunes of the China's economy. Even a minor slow down in China has an immediate effect on the Aussie economy and finances. That's a fact that cannot be ignored no matter the rhetoric on great Aussie-US alliances and so on. Eventually (I think sooner rather than later) this contradiction will force itself in the open.

Australians like to think of themselves as rational and practical people who have thrived in their rugged, unforgiving environment, but their strategic thinking – if one could call it that – is shockingly impractical, venturing into the realm of fantasy. The current flavour of the season is the so-called Beowulf Option. In “Learning to Walk Amongst Giants: The New Defence White Paper”, Australian Government advisor Ross Babbage has set out that Australia needs the military strength to “rip an arm off any major Asian power that sought to attack Australia”.( read China) . There is nothing imaginative about Australia's military & foreign policy . It's basically a second hand US document . What Australians need to be reminded of is that it's Chinese imports from Western Australia that has prevented Australia from going into recession. If China starts to look for alternative importers like Brazil, India , Africa etc Australia's lucky streak could end very, very quickly.

Cyberspec wrote:That basically sounds like the US policy to me. The "Äsian only" is probably for domestic consumption. For example, S. Korea and Japan cannot make any significant foreign policy and military moves on their own without US approval.

ASEAN too was formed with the intention of containing China and yet it has a robust trade relation with China. India would not like to enter into an alliance with the US which is anti China . India stands to loose greatly . Unlike Australia , India realizes that China is it's biggest trading partner. In the last 50 years not a single shot has been fired across the Indo China border. Both sides try their utmost in maintaining this status quo. India's alliance with countries in South East Asia and East Asia is designed to remind China that India does have an answer to China's String of Pearls strategy . I suspect to lend some credence to this informal alliance India will soon import military hardware from South Korea & Japan and will also export military hardware to Vietnam and Phillipines. Indo US relations are half hearted and neither side trusts the other :

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/08/14/why_india_is_so_half_hearted_about_the_us_rebalance_towards_asia

China's new leadership which is going to take over control from tomorrow has drafted a "Look West Policy" ( west of CHina) and India is the lynchpin in this strategy.

Last edited by Sujoy on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

ricky123

Post  ricky123 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:32 pm

In the last 50 years not a single shot has been fired across the Indo China border.
    that is not true there were no war but there is always high tension and right now it is the most millitarised region in the world ...
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy on Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:56 pm

ricky123 wrote:
    that is not true there were no war but there is always high tension

Give me an example after 1962 when hostilities broke out between India & China ? China did not interfere in 1965 , 1971 and 1999 when India & Pakistan went to war. So much so that unable to bear such long lasting peace now "Aliens" have decided to interfere ( or so we are told )

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-india-china-ufos-20121107,0,5138335.story

ricky123 wrote:
    and right now it is the most millitarised region in the world ...

Certainly not since North Korea & South Korea still exist as does Af Pak .

ricky123

Post  ricky123 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 pm

India also reported a series of skirmishes after the 1962 war, which were never confirmed by China. One report provided by India shows that in late 1967, there were two skirmishes between Indian and Chinese forces in Sikkim. The first one was dubbed the "Nathu La incident", and the other the "Chola incident".

i think there were more but i cant find the source
    Sujoy

America needs India in Asia and it's not the other way round .

Post  Sujoy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:24 am

ricky123 wrote:
    India also reported a series of skirmishes after the 1962 war, which were never confirmed by China. One report provided by India shows that in late 1967, there were two skirmishes between Indian and Chinese forces in Sikkim. The first one was dubbed the "Nathu La incident", and the other the "Chola incident".

i think there were more but i cant find the source

For every one such "skirmish" that India had with China there are a few hundreds India had with Bangladesh , Nepal and SriLanka . That does not mean that the border is always tense. There is a mechanism in place between India and China to deal with such incidents and so far they have worked like textbook.
    gaurav

Post  gaurav on Wed May 21, 2014 6:42 am

India -Russ partnership will suffer under the new Government.

The first direct casualty is FGFA project.

This project will be axed in favour of U.S F-35 .

The rbi (central bank) has already given an approval of 100 billion usd in buying
    F-35, C-17, P8I of the shelf from U.S .

This will allow the new government to strengthen Indo U.S partnership and also
    move away from multi-vector policy of the previous government.

The other major in-pipeline projects(carefully and painfully initiated by the previous government)  
    are also to be axed like MEGA (pantsir, tor-m2 , Krivak class , submarines,new T-90 MS deals and so on).

The rafale deal might go on but that is another topic. IAF will have to look at rafale from point of view
    of F-35 deployment scenarios.
    Well I think this change of policy will take time.It will 2-3 years before finances can be allocated for this huge
    buying spree from the U.S.

This is the sad reality but we have to face it for what it is worth.  Cool 
    TR1

Post  TR1 on Wed May 21, 2014 7:58 am

According to who?
    gaurav

Post  gaurav on Wed May 21, 2014 8:26 am

I am not saying that present Indian Gov will be anti-russian.
    It will be pro-U.S.
    We will wait and see ,cant comment on it.

The news that was given to me was by general opinion.

This is a policy.  This is not news .
    This is a perception that present Gov is pro-U.S.

Am taking my hands off this sensitive subject.
    And stating that am not an expert.  Cool
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy on Wed May 21, 2014 9:35 am

The BJP has already stated that there will be no change in foreign policy except maybe with relation to Pakistan .

http://thedailynewnation.com/news/12998/no-major-change-in-foreign-policy-modis-aide.html

gaurav

Post  gaurav on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:03 pm

We are already seeing the dynamics in our neighbourhood.

I have already written before the consequences of our political changes.

I am afraid that my concerns are becoming true that this Government will become the supporter/Largest buyer of U.S
    Arms.

With this government we are headed towards a Polish scenario in the worst case .

As of course , I may be wrong also.. but right now.. it looks ominous..
    medo

Post  medo on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Going for US armament is a big risk. US could suddenly impose sanctions on India. What will then fly? Tejas will be grounded as it have US engine, F-35 will be immediately in hangars only. Mistral story will tell, if India could trust to France in case of sanctions, so Rafale is a big question and at the end only MiGs and Su-30 will fly. India is a member of BRICS group and with dumping of US Dollar, India could be very quickly under US sanctions.

Pakistan is quite aware of this and they build their JF-17 with China without any US parts in it and they buy F-16 and spare parts from Jordan and modernize and modify them with Turkey, who made their own modifications in their F-16, that they could fight with other US build fighters for case of conflict with Israel or Greece and they could modify Pakistani F-16 in the same way. I doubt India will be allowed to modify their F-35 to fight with other US build planes.

India should stay away from US armament.
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 pm

gaurav wrote:We are already seeing the dynamics in  our neighbourhood.

I am afraid that my concerns are becoming true that this Government will become the supporter/Largest buyer of U.S
    Arms.

With this government we are headed towards a Polish scenario in the worst case .

As of course , I may be wrong also.. but  right now.. it looks ominous..

If that is the case, then Modi is an US agent. No other reason not to believe that due to the fact that F-35 has no tech transfer at all and will ruin relations with Russia, which stuck its ass out for India. Go figure, Indians being corrupt.

Lets hope you are wrong.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 pm

sepheronx wrote:
    gaurav wrote:We are already seeing the dynamics in  our neighbourhood.

Arms.

As of course , I may be wrong also.. but  right now.. it looks ominous..

If that is the case, then Modi is an US agent. No other reason not to believe that due to the fact that F-35 has no tech transfer at all and will ruin relations with Russia, which stuck its ass out for India. Go figure, Indians being corrupt.

Lets hope you are wrong.

Modi has a grudge against the U.S. for denying him a visa, so I wouldn't put stock in to the claim just yet.
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Currently you could pretty much speculate anything... the next Indian carrier might be a Gerald Ford with F-35s and Super Hornets... but then again it might not be.

The US wouldn't even let the UK integrate Brimstone to the F-35 itself, so I rather doubt they will let India make any changes at all... the chances that the F-35 suits India better than the FFGA is rather unlikely.

Those new service centres for MiGs is interesting... I wonder if that will influence Bangladesh and Malaysia in their future choices of aircraft... MiG-35 could become more attractive for both countries and perhaps as a final replacement for the MiG-29UPG for India...

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order
    Sujoy

Post  Sujoy on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 pm

There is no need for any speculation . As I have highlighted in my previous post in this thread the BJP has made it clear that the status quo in INDIA's foreign relations will be maintained . In other words there will be more continuity than change .

http://rt.com/op-edge/159536-modi-india-election-victory/

Will MODI cancel all the defense contracts that are pending & have to be signed with the US ? No he won't .

Also , the huge Gujarati & Punjabi diaspora settled in the West wants the BJP to maintain good ties with the US .  

However , it's also true that unlike his predecessor he will not give the US a carte blanche .

Because of the travel bans imposed on him by the US and various US sidekicks in Europe he unlike former Indian PMs is not even exposed to the West . Hell he can't even speak in English and is not even apologetic about it either .

So Modi personally is not pro West though there are elements within his party that are .
    Viktor

India -Russ partnership will suffer under the new Government.

Post  Viktor on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:41 pm

gaurav

Post  gaurav on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:15 am

India Russia Strategic partnership continues .. no holds barred .. unprecedented ..

Modi all guns blazing .. going overt and covert to becoming the biggest U.S agent India has ever seen.

INDIA STRENGTHENS  BRICS ALLIANCE

INDIAS Economic and military alliance with BRICS

BRICS going NUTS ..? wrote:The United States and India have signed a military agreement that will enable them to use
    each other's military assets including  land, air and naval bases for repair and replenishment of supplies.

India BRICS wrote:The agreement is a step toward building defense relations in the face of threats posed by
    China and will help them counter the growing maritime assertiveness of Beijing.

India leader of BRICS wrote:The Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) was signed between
    US Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter and his Indian counterpart Manohar Parrikar in Washington on Monday.

BRICS wrote:The signing of the agreement will "make the logistics of joint operations so much easier and so much more efficient,"
    Carter said in a news briefing with Parrikar.
    The deal will facilitate opportunities for "practical engagement and exchange," Carter said, adding, "It's not a basing agreement of any kind.”
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:39 am

Are you trying to be sarcastic with the first comment? Cause this will do the complete opposite affect.
    magnumcromagnon

Post  magnumcromagnon on Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 am

sepheronx wrote:Are you trying to be sarcastic with the first comment?  Cause this will do the complete opposite affect.

Good ole' India, wants to be a Anglo-Saxon colony again...go figure.
    gaurav

Post  gaurav on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:27 am

Sepheronx wrote:Are you trying to be sarcastic with the first comment? Cause this will do the complete opposite affect.
    Yes of course I am being sarcastic. IN media INdian gov always comments about Indo-russ friendship and behind the scenes they keep on doing things which will make India a U.S ally.
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:19 pm

They say it won't be about creating bases, but this is first step to it. US has a tendency to slip those things in afterwards. What will ultimately concern Russians that may force them to abandon plans in selling them and cooperating in military tech with India, is that it will be compromised since US has a history of making their way into sensitive areas to take pictures and such. They did this even in Russia at NAPO plant. That of course was dealt with.

At this point, India is a security threat to both China and Russia. Effectively also destroyed BRICS.

Good job Indians for screwing up this hard.

^
    This is my reply to pinto in India us thread
    Pinto

Post  Pinto on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:03 pm

sepheronx wrote:They say it won't be about creating bases, but this is first step to it. US has a tendency to slip those things in afterwards.  What will ultimately concern Russians that may force them to abandon plans in selling them and cooperating in military tech with India, is that it will be compromised since US has a history of making their way into sensitive areas to take pictures and such. They did this even in Russia at NAPO plant. That of course was dealt with.

At this point, India is a security threat to both China and Russia. Effectively also destroyed BRICS.

Good job Indians for screwing up this hard.

^
    This is my reply to pinto in India us thread

i feel you are taking it wrong, personally i am against the close defence ties with US but why India did it can be discussed
    sepheronx

Post  sepheronx on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:23 pm

You Indians have little knowledge on history, outside of India of course. History has proven US always has ulterior methods. US made no secret when they said they want to move India away from Russia. Only Indians have their heads so far in the sand, they try to think different.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm