Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

China MIC issues

Mike E

Re: China MIC issues

Post  Mike E on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:37 pm

The caliber at which any longer becomes useless is somewhere around 75. - Based on a guys' report on the L/100 guns Hitler ordered and their impracticality. I assume it's still relevant. 

Any extra length decreases urban usage and adds weight....*any*. 

But how is that relevant to your case? A gun this large would require newly developed stabilizers, auto-loaders, maybe even counterweights cause the caliber is so friggin large... 

Thanks for answering that question...it was a pro-western site so I had a feeling it wouldn't be completely truthful. 

The M829 (from A1 to A4 the differences are so large they don't deserve to be labeled the same...) series has basically hit its roof. All the US can do now is either increase the length of the gun, use more propellant, or possibly start investing more in ETC technology. Still, the M829A3 & A4 won't be useless for a long time. The HEAR rounds are useless from day one, there is no need to compromise one thing in order to make a round "more flexible". 

100% as everyone has known the A3 will be a minor upgrade.... New engine, less weight, improved FCS, and maybe...just maybe... An APS of some sort. 

Yet they've chosen not to use the longer gun...they haven't now, they won't later. Our politicians and army officials are stubborn.
    collegeboy16

Post  collegeboy16 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Mike E wrote:The caliber at which any longer becomes useless is somewhere around 75. - Based on a guys' report on the L/100 guns Hitler ordered and their impracticality. I assume it's still relevant. 
    the new gun is supposedly 60 calibres long so they are well within the limit.
    Mike E wrote:
    But how is that relevant to your case? A gun this large would require newly developed stabilizers, auto-loaders, maybe even counterweights cause the caliber is so friggin large... 
    its meant for a new tank so yeah... its only a hassle if you retrofit it to the older tanks, same as 2a82 gun.
    Mike E wrote:
    Thanks for answering that question...it was a pro-western site so I had a feeling it wouldn't be completely truthful. 
    what do you mean by "it"?
    Mike E

Post  Mike E on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Yes, but that doesn't actually mean anything... The difference gets lower and lower, until it eventually hits that point (75 caliber) where the extra length is useless. Ie the difference between 51 caliber (current Chinese 125) and 56 caliber (2A82-1M) is greater than the difference between 56 and 60 (this new gun).

A new tank..... What, exactly? China is focused on the ZTZ-99 and it's variants right now, their next new MBT is at least fifteen years away, that or it won't be very "new" at all.

Sorry for being vague... "It" is a link I found in a Spacebattles thread a few days ago, I'll go find it later.
    Werewolf

China MIC issues

Post  Werewolf on Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:59 pm

collegeboy16 wrote:
    and they have ~6k modern tanks, not 1000. if you want to set the bar for modern tanks that high then Russia only has 930 modern tanks  Razz.

and yes, there are limits to how far upgrades can make a tank competitive as long as possible, but the current situation with the US having a 6k strong modern tank park and Russia just introducing its new tanks just means they have a lot more ground to give and so can afford to slack off for some time. however, they havent been slacking at all, they are apart from updating their current tanks developing replacements.

The US has only ca. 1200 tanks that could be even described as modern M1A2 sep2 versions, and less than 1000 in operational conditions. The rest of their tanks are M1, M1A1 or any other verions in between, non of those versions is modern, not even slightly superior than T-72B while T-72B3 is superior, T-80 aswell.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 pm