Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Share

    nastle77

    Posts : 210
    Points : 276
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Osa boats vs Israeli navy

    Post  nastle77 on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:55 pm

    What was the reason the Osa boats of Egypt perform so poorly against the Israeli navy ?
    And during the cold war if the performance of Osa boats was so appalling against MGB of westers navies what were the primary means of countering enemy MGB in the Soviet navy
    avatar
    kvs

    Posts : 3258
    Points : 3381
    Join date : 2014-09-11
    Location : Canuckistan

    Re: Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Post  kvs on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:19 am

    nastle77 wrote:What was the reason the Osa boats of Egypt perform so poorly against the Israeli navy ?
    And during the cold war if the performance of Osa boats was so appalling against MGB of westers navies what were the primary means of countering enemy MGB in the Soviet navy

    Perhaps the competence of the people operating those boats may have something to do with how they "perform".
    avatar
    sepheronx

    Posts : 7252
    Points : 7546
    Join date : 2009-08-06
    Age : 28
    Location : Canada

    Re: Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Post  sepheronx on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:40 am

    take into account that Israel was probably more or less prepared cause they were hit before hand by the missiles. At the same time too, they were deploying more CIWS for their ships. Of course that doesn't cause 100% protection but as you said, depending on competence, they could have saturated the attack.

    nastle77

    Posts : 210
    Points : 276
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    What was the reason the Osa boats of Egypt perform so poorly against the Israeli navy ?

    Post  nastle77 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 pm

    sepheronx wrote:take into account that Israel was probably more or less prepared cause they were hit before hand by the missiles.  At the same time too, they were deploying more CIWS for their ships.  Of course that doesn't cause 100% protection but as you said, depending on competence, they could have saturated the attack.
    could it also be that the Termits export version had no IR versions and had down graded seekers ?
    Also it seemed like most OSA were lost when they expended their missiles and were caught by israeli boats and were dispatched by 76 mm gunfire
    avatar
    AlfaT8

    Posts : 1433
    Points : 1434
    Join date : 2013-02-02

    Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Post  AlfaT8 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 pm

    After watching some documentaries i realized that the event of the middle east conflicts particularly The 6 day war, The October war and especially The battle of the Golan Heights were/is still considered by many as the decisive evidence of the worthlessness of Soviet weaponry and equipment of that era.
    So i decided that there should be a dedicated thread to discuss this.

    So here's the question guys, what the hell was going on??
    Was it poor Soviet exports or simply incredibly incompetent Arabs or something else?

    nastle77

    Posts : 210
    Points : 276
    Join date : 2015-07-25

    Re: Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Post  nastle77 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:07 pm

    AlfaT8 wrote:After watching some documentaries i realized that the event of the middle east conflicts particularly The 6 day war, The October war and especially The battle of the Golan Heights were/is still considered by many as the decisive evidence of the worthlessness of Soviet weaponry and equipment of that era.
    So i decided that there should be a dedicated thread to discuss this.

    So here's the question guys, what the hell was going on??
    Was it poor Soviet exports or simply incredibly incompetent Arabs or something else?

    https://www.amazon.com/Arabs-War-Military-Effectiveness-1948-1991/dp/0803287836
    explained here in detail

    primarily arab military system

    remember in 1948 and 1956 wars a lot of equipment with arabs was western and very little soviet esp in 48
    plus israel has NO US equipment in those wars yet they still trounce the arabs

    so you get the idea

    Sponsored content

    Re: Soviet weaponry/equipment in Middle Eastern wars

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:16 am