Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues


    Romania - US military relations

    Share

    George1
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 9443
    Points : 9935
    Join date : 2011-12-22
    Location : Greece

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  George1 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:27 am

    USN has begun testing of the first object of missile defense in Romania

    The magazine "Jane's International Defence Review" article Geoff Fein "Land ahoy: USN to assume operation of Romanian Aegis Ashore" informs that in May 2015 the US Missile Defense Agency (US Missile Defence Agency - MDA) start a three-month series of commissioning tests of the first object missile Defense (NMD), built in Eastern Europe - the object Naval Support Facility (NSF) Aegis Ashore at the former Romanian air Force base Deveselu in southern Romania, which must be equipped with interceptor missiles family Standard SM-3.








    http://bmpd.livejournal.com/1333441.html

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:19 am

    Fire some Iskander over romania from Transitarnia . lets test sm-3 capabilities .

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:55 pm

    Russia Calls on US to Abandon Plans to Place Missile Defense in Romania


    Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 582
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2015-04-22

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  Rodinazombie on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:00 pm

    http://www.stripes.com/news/navy-to-commission-missile-defense-base-in-romania-1.307364

    NAPLES, Italy — The Navy will commission its new missile defense base in southern Romania on Friday, one of two European land-based interceptor sites for a NATO missile shield vehemently opposed by Russia.

    The base represents a rare expansion of the U.S. footprint in Europe, and the even rarer construction of a new Navy base from the ground up.

    The base in Deveselu will be the first to feature the Aegis Ashore ballistic missile defense system, a land-based version of the sophisticated radar tracking system installed on U.S. warships since 2004. Scheduled to become operational by the end of next year, the base — which is housed within a larger Romanian military installation — will be staffed by several hundred U.S. military, civilian and contract employees. A second site, in Poland, is scheduled to become operational by 2018.

    Capt. William Garren will become the site’s first commander on Friday, officials said.

    The site is part of a NATO missile defense shield pursued by two U.S. administrations as a defense against short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles from Iran and other rogue states. But Russia has long criticized the project, claiming it was aimed against its own ballistic missile arsenal. The dispute has taken on new significance with recent fighting between Ukraine and separatists near the Russian border and the sharp deterioration of relations between the West and Moscow.

    First announced by the George W. Bush administration in 2007, plans for an extensive missile shield focused on long-range interceptor sites, were cut back by the Obama administration in favor of an emphasis on short- and medium-range missiles.

    The current “phased, adaptive approach” for missile defense in Europe will be based on ship-borne interceptors until the permanent land sites in Romania and Poland become fully operational. It calls for regular upgrades to interceptor technology and relies on an improving network of land- and space-based sensors.

    U.S. warships equipped with Aegis systems began making regular patrols in the Mediterranean in 2011, and the U.S. is moving four of the destroyers to Rota, Spain, for the missions. An advanced radar system in Turkey was completed in 2012.

    The site at Deveselu, part of the second phase, will host an Aegis SPY-1 radar and hold 24 Standard Missile-3 interceptors of the Block IB variant. A four-story radar deckhouse, similar to those used on a warship, will be moved to the site from the U.S. East Coast as part of construction.

    The third and fourth phases were to focus on medium- and longer-range missile threats, with construction of the second land-based site in Poland and development of two new SM-3 variants. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel canceled the fourth phase last year, which called for development of the long-range SM-3 variant by 2020.

    The U.S. conducted the first test flight of its Aegis Ashore system on May 21 in Hawaii.

    Naval Support Facility Deveselu officially entered the books last week with the start of the new fiscal year, according to Capt. Eric Gardner, officer in charge of the project in Naples. A small Friday ceremony will formally mark the turnover, he said. Construction at the site continues under a $134 million contract awarded by the military last year.

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:17 pm

    Rodinazombie wrote:http://www.stripes.com/news/navy-to-commission-missile-defense-base-in-romania-1.307364

    NAPLES, Italy — The Navy will commission its new missile defense base in southern Romania on Friday, one of two European land-based interceptor sites for a NATO missile shield vehemently opposed by Russia.

    The base represents a rare expansion of the U.S. footprint in Europe, and the even rarer construction of a new Navy base from the ground up.

    The base in Deveselu will be the first to feature the Aegis Ashore ballistic missile defense system, a land-based version of the sophisticated radar tracking system installed on U.S. warships since 2004. Scheduled to become operational by the end of next year, the base — which is housed within a larger Romanian military installation — will be staffed by several hundred U.S. military, civilian and contract employees. A second site, in Poland, is scheduled to become operational by 2018.

    Capt. William Garren will become the site’s first commander on Friday, officials said.

    The site is part of a NATO missile defense shield pursued by two U.S. administrations as a defense against short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles from Iran and other rogue states. But Russia has long criticized the project, claiming it was aimed against its own ballistic missile arsenal. The dispute has taken on new significance with recent fighting between Ukraine and separatists near the Russian border and the sharp deterioration of relations between the West and Moscow.

    First announced by the George W. Bush administration in 2007, plans for an extensive missile shield focused on long-range interceptor sites, were cut back by the Obama administration in favor of an emphasis on short- and medium-range missiles.

    The current “phased, adaptive approach” for missile defense in Europe will be based on ship-borne interceptors until the permanent land sites in Romania and Poland become fully operational. It calls for regular upgrades to interceptor technology and relies on an improving network of land- and space-based sensors.

    U.S. warships equipped with Aegis systems began making regular patrols in the Mediterranean in 2011, and the U.S. is moving four of the destroyers to Rota, Spain, for the missions. An advanced radar system in Turkey was completed in 2012.

    The site at Deveselu, part of the second phase, will host an Aegis SPY-1 radar and hold 24 Standard Missile-3 interceptors of the Block IB variant. A four-story radar deckhouse, similar to those used on a warship, will be moved to the site from the U.S. East Coast as part of construction.

    The third and fourth phases were to focus on medium- and longer-range missile threats, with construction of the second land-based site in Poland and development of two new SM-3 variants. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel canceled the fourth phase last year, which called for development of the long-range SM-3 variant by 2020.

    The U.S. conducted the first test flight of its Aegis Ashore system on May 21 in Hawaii.

    Naval Support Facility Deveselu officially entered the books last week with the start of the new fiscal year, according to Capt. Eric Gardner, officer in charge of the project in Naples. A small Friday ceremony will formally mark the turnover, he said. Construction at the site continues under a $134 million contract awarded by the military last year.



    so arrogant muritards will not comply to Russia's request. No

    Time to place nuclear tipped Iksanders in Koenigsberg.

    Rodinazombie
    Lieutenant
    Lieutenant

    Posts : 582
    Points : 616
    Join date : 2015-04-22

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  Rodinazombie on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 pm

    max steel wrote:
    Rodinazombie wrote:http://www.stripes.com/news/navy-to-commission-missile-defense-base-in-romania-1.307364

    NAPLES, Italy — The Navy will commission its new missile defense base in southern Romania on Friday, one of two European land-based interceptor sites for a NATO missile shield vehemently opposed by Russia.

    The base represents a rare expansion of the U.S. footprint in Europe, and the even rarer construction of a new Navy base from the ground up.

    The base in Deveselu will be the first to feature the Aegis Ashore ballistic missile defense system, a land-based version of the sophisticated radar tracking system installed on U.S. warships since 2004. Scheduled to become operational by the end of next year, the base — which is housed within a larger Romanian military installation — will be staffed by several hundred U.S. military, civilian and contract employees. A second site, in Poland, is scheduled to become operational by 2018.

    Capt. William Garren will become the site’s first commander on Friday, officials said.

    The site is part of a NATO missile defense shield pursued by two U.S. administrations as a defense against short- and intermediate-range ballistic missiles from Iran and other rogue states. But Russia has long criticized the project, claiming it was aimed against its own ballistic missile arsenal. The dispute has taken on new significance with recent fighting between Ukraine and separatists near the Russian border and the sharp deterioration of relations between the West and Moscow.

    First announced by the George W. Bush administration in 2007, plans for an extensive missile shield focused on long-range interceptor sites, were cut back by the Obama administration in favor of an emphasis on short- and medium-range missiles.

    The current “phased, adaptive approach” for missile defense in Europe will be based on ship-borne interceptors until the permanent land sites in Romania and Poland become fully operational. It calls for regular upgrades to interceptor technology and relies on an improving network of land- and space-based sensors.

    U.S. warships equipped with Aegis systems began making regular patrols in the Mediterranean in 2011, and the U.S. is moving four of the destroyers to Rota, Spain, for the missions. An advanced radar system in Turkey was completed in 2012.

    The site at Deveselu, part of the second phase, will host an Aegis SPY-1 radar and hold 24 Standard Missile-3 interceptors of the Block IB variant. A four-story radar deckhouse, similar to those used on a warship, will be moved to the site from the U.S. East Coast as part of construction.

    The third and fourth phases were to focus on medium- and longer-range missile threats, with construction of the second land-based site in Poland and development of two new SM-3 variants. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel canceled the fourth phase last year, which called for development of the long-range SM-3 variant by 2020.

    The U.S. conducted the first test flight of its Aegis Ashore system on May 21 in Hawaii.

    Naval Support Facility Deveselu officially entered the books last week with the start of the new fiscal year, according to Capt. Eric Gardner, officer in charge of the project in Naples. A small Friday ceremony will formally mark the turnover, he said. Construction at the site continues under a $134 million contract awarded by the military last year.



    so arrogant muritards will not comply to Russia's request. No

    Time to place nuclear tipped Iksanders in Koenigsberg.

    At least this time they dont have to 'pretend' that they are to defend against iran.

    What scares me about missile shields, is that it might give them a feeling of invulnerability, and rather than act as a deterrent against russia it may encourage them to be more reckless.








    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:07 pm

    SM-3 BLOCK 2 CAN SHOOT DOWN IRBM'S ALSO APART FROM SRBM'S AND MRBM'S. TOCHKA CAN BE INTERCEPTED BY IT BUT NOT IKSANDERS SINCE THEY MANEUVER WITH QUASI-BALLISTIC PATH.

    DerWolf
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 60
    Points : 62
    Join date : 2015-12-06

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  DerWolf on Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:32 pm

    “Star Wars”: US/NATO missile shield inaugurated in Romania

    http://neurope.eu/article/star-wars-usnato-missile-shield-inaugurated-in-romania/

    grigorev88
    Private
    Private

    Posts : 3
    Points : 3
    Join date : 2015-12-21
    Location : Romania

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  grigorev88 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:04 am

    Can Russia send a cruise missile to see if this shitt works ? but the target to be only the romanian parliament. lol! santa

    Militarov
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 4836
    Points : 4883
    Join date : 2015-09-02
    Location : Serbia

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  Militarov on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:43 pm

    "According to the local media Romania-Insider, Romania will buy 12 more F-16 fighter airplanes, the Ministry of Defense being in charge of preparing the acquisition procedures this year, according to the country's Defense Minister Mihnea Motoc. The auction will be organized in 2017 and the airplanes, which might be second-hand, will be purchased from other NATO member states.

    “So far, we have requested information from all the allied countries which operate such devices, including the US and five European allies,” the Minister said for local Europa FM. The first F-16 airplanes Romania bought from Portugal are to arrive in the country in September. The planes’ cost amounted to around EUR 630 million, including their upgrade by American company Lockheed Martin and the pilots’ training.

    Romania signed a Letter of Offer and Acceptance with the U.S. Government in December 2013 which provides programmatic support to a U.S.-approved third party transfer of F-16 aircraft from Portugal to Romania. That agreement delivers 12 F-16 block 20 Mid-Life Upgrade (MLU) aircraft to Romania beginning in 2016. Romania purchased the 12 F-16AM/BM fighters to replace part of its fleet of Russian built MiG-21 Lancer fighter aircraft and thus bring its air force up to NATO standards."


    Source: http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-defense-security-news/global-news-2016/february/2437-romania-plans-to-purchase-12-more-f-16-fighter-jets-in-2017.html

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Fri May 06, 2016 1:39 pm

    In Romania, US Wraps Construction of Anti-Missile Battery

    The U.S. has all of the pieces in place at its missile-defense complex in southern Romania, despite Moscow’s objections and the highest NATO-Russia tensions since the Cold War.

    Construction of the anti-missile battery and radar — which Washington says are there to shoot down weapons fired toward Europe from Iran, not Russia — is in the final stages at the Deveselu military base in southern Romania, about 90 miles west of Bucharest, Pentagon officials say.

    In coming days, the Pentagon will make a “technical capability declaration” — that is, it will certify as ready the complex’s various components: a powerful radar, missile interceptors, and communications equipment.

    The site will be declared operational — able to down a missile — in 2016, after the successful completion of a training exercise, a Pentagon official said.





    Last Wednesday, military testers shot down a target over the Pacific Ocean using a land-based Standard Missile-3 interceptor launched from Kauai, Hawaii. This successful test of the SM-3 Block 1B clears the way for its use in Romania, along with its Aegis guidance radar — the first operational ground-based version of two systems originally designed for shipboard use.

    “The test’s success keeps the Aegis Ashore program and the SM-3 Block 1B on track for deployment in Romania by the end of this year,” said a Thursday statement from Raytheon, which builds the interceptor.

    When fully active, the Deveselu facility will be operated by more than 200 U.S. sailors and civilians plus Romanian military personnel.

    Russia has opposed the European missile shield since its inception last decade. In 2009, President Obama announced the Phased Adaptive Approach, a tiered deployment of missile defenses across Europe. The first phase included the deployment radars and interceptors on Navy ships. The Romanian base is the second phase and the third is the deployment of more interceptors to Poland.

    In April, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, Russia’s top general said Moscow would target NATO’s new missile interceptor bases in Romania and Poland.

    “Non-nuclear powers where missile-defense installations are being installed have become the objects of priority response,” Gerasimov said, according to the Wall Street Journal.

    In recent months, NATO has held some of its largest military drills since the Cold War. American forces have been deploying more frequently to Eastern Europe to train with members of the alliance near Russia.

    U.S. officials broke ground at the Romanian missile interceptor complex in October 2013. Google Earth images from just a few years ago show the tiny base’s 8,000-foot runway filled with cracks, with dozens of Soviet-era fighter jets sitting idly on taxiways for what appears to be years. More recent satellite images show widespread construction throughout the complex.

    Now, construction at Deveselu is finishing up, said Lt. Cmdr. Robert Johnson, a spokesman for U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa in Naples, Italy, the organization that oversees sailors there. U.S. officials are expecting to formally declare the site operational later this month.

    Deveselu is the first new Navy installation in 20 years, after Naval Station Everett in Washington state, Johnson said.

    DerWolf
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 60
    Points : 62
    Join date : 2015-12-06

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  DerWolf on Fri May 06, 2016 2:45 pm

    Soon will start the work to construct the missile shield in Poland too.

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Fri May 06, 2016 5:33 pm

    DerWolf wrote:Soon will start the work to construct the missile shield in Poland too.

    will get over by 2018.

    max steel
    Colonel
    Colonel

    Posts : 2980
    Points : 3014
    Join date : 2015-02-12
    Location : South Pole

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  max steel on Thu May 19, 2016 11:04 pm


    Airman
    Junior Sergeant
    Junior Sergeant

    Posts : 141
    Points : 165
    Join date : 2016-10-15
    Location : Republic of Turkey

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  Airman on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:35 pm

    Photos show #US preparing MIM-104 Patriot surface-to-air missile systems for trasport from #Germany to #Romania









    https://twitter.com/M3t4_tr0n/status/792301149336571904?lang=tr

    Sponsored content

    Re: Romania - US military relations

    Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:00 am


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:00 am