Military Forum for Russian and Global Defence Issues

Ηistory of Soviet/Russian Navy

nastle77

Ηistory of Soviet/Russian Navy

Post  nastle77 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello
    I wanted to know how many Tarantul III were operational by 1990 and if they were from the beginning armed with SSN-22 sunburn missiles

Thanks

Cucumber Khan

Re: Ηistory of Soviet/Russian Navy

Post  Cucumber Khan on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:59 pm

nastle77 wrote:Hello
    I wanted to know how many Tarantul III were operational by 1990 and if they were from the beginning armed with SSN-22 sunburn missiles

Thanks

Check here:
    http://russianships.info/eng/warfareboats/project_12411.htm

nastle77

SSN-21 Granat ( sampson) cruise missile

Post  nastle77 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

SSN-21 Granat ( sampson) cruise missile

By 1990 which of the soviet Subamrines carried this missile ?

"The new Akula-class submarine, launched in September 1986, was the first class to receive the new missile. It was later fitted to the Sierra I/II class and eight Victor III's "

This blurb I found on Wikipedia and I know that One yankee class was modified to carry it as well

Does anybody know if this information is accurate ?
    artjomh

Post  artjomh on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:40 pm

nastle77 wrote:SSN-21 Granat ( sampson) cruise missile

"The new Akula-class submarine, launched in September 1986, was the first class to receive the new missile. It was later fitted to the Sierra I/II class and eight Victor III's "

This blurb I found on Wikipedia and I know that One yankee class was modified to carry it as well

Do you really need to create a separate article for each of your questions, nastle77?

To answer your question, Victor III (a modified version, not all of them), Mike, Akula, Yankee Notch (3 were modified) and Sierra II carried Granat.

Wikipedia is inacurate. Sierra I never carried Granats, only torpedoes and rocket-torpedoes.

Cucumber Khan

Post  Cucumber Khan on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 am

nastle77 wrote:SSN-21 Granat ( sampson) cruise missile

A single Pr.671, the K-323, was also fitted with the RK-55 missile.

nastle77

I wanted to know how many Tarantul III were operational by 1990

Post  nastle77 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:20 pm

http://www.military-today.com/navy/kara_class.htm

A single gas-turbine exhaust funnel dominated the large superstructure. On the ship's stern was a helicopter landing pad with a hangar partially recessed below the flight deck. To stow the ASW helicopter the hanger roof hatch and doors had to be opened; the helicopter was pushed in and then lowered to the deck via an elevator.

The ship's Shtorm (SA-N-3 Goblet) and Rastrub (SS-N-14 Silex) ASW missiles have secondary anti-ship capabilities, the former having a 25-kiloton nuclear warhead available in place of the normal 150-kg HE type. At the height of the Cold War it is believed that all Soviet ships with dual-capable weapon systems had at least 25 per cent of their missiles equipped with nuclear warheads while at sea.

Trying not to start too many new threads Wink

These questions about Kara class

1-Is it true the SAN-3 had nuke warheads ? WHat were they used against a group of aircraft ? another ship ? since its a dual role missile

2-Did really soviet dual role weapons have 25 % nuke warheads at sea ?

Can the helicopters on the Kara class be also used for guidance for cruise missiles like the SSN-3a/b of other ships ?

nastle77

Sunburns on Tarantul

Post  nastle77 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:26 pm

when was the Sunburn started being used on the Tarantul class missile ships ?
    I mean 12 Tarantul III class ships were in commision by 1990 but did they have the Sunburns at that time ?
    Reason I ask as the Database for soviet missiles in 1989 lists only 80 Sunburns in their inventory and at that time there were 9-10 Sovremennys in the fleet as well
    GarryB

Post  GarryB on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:06 pm

The first 10-11 Tarantula class boats had an older rocket powered version of Moskit... it wasn't until the next vessels entered service they had the combined rocket ramjet powered Sunburn....

“The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion […] but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.”

― Samuel P. Huntington, The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order

nastle77

Sunburns on Tarantul

Post  nastle77 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:49 am

GarryB wrote:The first 10-11 Tarantula class boats had an older rocket powered version of Moskit... it wasn't until the next vessels entered service they had the combined rocket ramjet powered Sunburn....
    Ok thanks but they were never armed with SSN-7 ?

The SSN-16 Stallion RPK-6 and RPK-7 was a dual ASUW and ASW weapon ? Was this the principal ASUW weapon of Victor III/Alfa/Akula/Sierra class ?

It was explained here on this forum that RPK6/7 was only assigned a ASW role in SSN so what was their principal anti-surface ship weapon
    Isos

History of the Russian/Soviet navy

Post  Isos on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Two nice videos of soviet ships operating in open sea. There is even the moskva cruiser (helicopter carier not slava class). Not the subject of the thread but I had to put it somewhere

AlfaT8

History of the Russian/Soviet navy

Post  AlfaT8 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm

I am surprised there isn't a dedicated thread for the history of the Russian/Soviet navy, so i decided to make one.
    Let's start with a documentary from the 70s.

nastle77

Soviet navy interventions in 3rd world before 1990

Post  nastle77 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:34 pm

How capable was the Soviet navy in interveing in the third word Regional conflicts during the late cold war?
    Any examples of that ?
    I've heard in Angola the Soviet kresta 2 class cruiser provided fire support against the rebels
    What would be the composition of a typical expeditionary Force if a intervention in a third world country is required ?assuming the other superpower and first-rate nato countries are not the adversaries
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:01 pm

nastle77 wrote:How capable was the Soviet navy in interveing in the third word Regional conflicts during the late cold war?
    Any examples of that ?

The examples i can recall, was when the Soviet navy went the gulf when Iran tried to blockade it and when they went to assist India against the U.S navy during one of the wars against Pakistan.
    AlfaT8

Post  AlfaT8 on Thu May 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 am